Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Quinn has a Snake Backpack.

That was the best part of a great chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Toriko suddenly being stoked about his upcoming wedding is up there too.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

So the octopus isn't seen by anything under its capture level, but the capture level is only in the upper 200s. So does that mean Most things in gourmet world can see it since most monsters we've seen so far are high leveled? :confused:

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

So the octopus isn't seen by anything under its capture level, but the capture level is only in the upper 200s. So does that mean Most things in gourmet world can see it since most monsters we've seen so far are high leveled? :confused:

That's why they're only using it to establish a base of operations at the entrance to Gourmet World, where the monsters are the weakest

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
And so Toriko and company set sail on their epic journey through the Grand Line.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Fecha posted:

And so Toriko and company set sail on their epic journey through the Grand Line.

In an octopus' anus, in the shade.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Literally Kermit posted:

In an octopus' anus, in the shade.

Excuse me, but they entered the octopus's mouth. Octopi do not have a multipurpose eating+poop chute.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

quote:

This is a good start to a new arc full of adventure and delicious. That "territory marking" thing sounds kind of like a game mechanic and I would play all kinds of poo poo out of a Toriko RPG. Cooking minigames mandatory.
Yeah this is all blatantly the premise for a Toriko videogame.

pandaK posted:

Excuse me, but they entered the octopus's mouth. Octopi do not have a multipurpose eating+poop chute.
Now that I think about it, this is probably the least appetizing chapter of toriko ever.

ANIME AKBAR fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 3, 2014

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

pandaK posted:

Nah it definitely had a mouth below its eyes, while the thing they entered at the bottom of it was distinctly sphincter-shaped.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

pandaK posted:

Counterpoint: "a-nus" has two syllables, "mouth" only has one.

I guess I could have gone with "gullet".

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

AnonSpore posted:

Nah it definitely had a mouth below its eyes, while the thing they entered at the bottom of it was distinctly sphincter-shaped.

Anime octopi literally get the mouth and anus switched around :colbert:

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Law Cheetah posted:

That's why they're only using it to establish a base of operations at the entrance to Gourmet World, where the monsters are the weakest

Okay, that makes more sense. Thanks.

I can see it being a mobile tent on the borders of gourmet world. I was just confused if it was being used as a primary means of travel.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
As I understood it they are going to use the watermelon octopus as a mobile camp. It would eventually be detected by stronger monsters, yes, but remember the "scent marking". Toriko and co are supposed to emit an aura that deters strong beasts from entering areas they already went through. So presumably the watermelon octopus will be a mobile camp that follows the scent trail, so it will be doubly protected, and therefore appropriate deep in the Gourmet World. As long as it doesn't get ahead of Toriko and Co, it should be fine.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

pnumoman posted:

As I understood it they are going to use the watermelon octopus as a mobile camp. It would eventually be detected by stronger monsters, yes, but remember the "scent marking". Toriko and co are supposed to emit an aura that deters strong beasts from entering areas they already went through. So presumably the watermelon octopus will be a mobile camp that follows the scent trail, so it will be doubly protected, and therefore appropriate deep in the Gourmet World. As long as it doesn't get ahead of Toriko and Co, it should be fine.

As long as they embark with Tent x 99 they should be fine, they just gotta grind around the gourmet newb areas until they level up a few times

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

pnumoman posted:

This is how I understood it as well.

Man, it is so nice to see Toriko going back to the fun poo poo.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

New Chapter is out.

Stylin frog is the new antagonist

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Crawfish posted:

New Chapter is out.

I like how Toriko immediately asks "What's his power level? Hopefully in the bank, right?"

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Welcome to the New World!

I mean Gourmet World.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
he's already inside :)

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Crawfish posted:

New Chapter is out.

I really hope this is true. :neckbeard:

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Crawfish posted:

New Chapter is out.

How do you dodge a laser? Move faster than the speed of light?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Matoi Ryuko posted:

How do you dodge a laser? Move faster than the speed of light?

Dodge to the side when you see Toriko raising his arm? Basically just be faster than Toriko's reflexes. Which is also impressive but not impossible yet :v:

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Shugojin posted:

Dodge to the side when you see Toriko raising his arm? Basically just be faster than Toriko's reflexes. Which is also impressive but not impossible yet :v:

Toriko needs to stop telegraphing his lasering.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Dapper Frog's design is absolutely amazing. just seeing him chilling there made me laugh.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Chill frog owns. The art's also great - that first spread reminded me a lot of Berserk.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Was I the only one whose first reaction to the dapper frog was what the capture level of that tea he was sipping?

Man I am pumped for this, I for one welcome Toriko 2.0

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Literally Kermit posted:

Was I the only one whose first reaction to the dapper frog was what the capture level of that tea he was sipping?

Man I am pumped for this, I for one welcome Toriko 2.0

You have to pick it one second before it gets destroyed by lava during a 99.95% solar eclipse. Other than that it's a normal tea plant.

e: I'm still in love with the fact that I can come up with whatever crazy thing I feel like and it's still 100% plausible for the Torikoverse.

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 9, 2014

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

Millions of catalogged gourmet world ingredients, and we're going for air first.

Dapper Frog stylin' in waves and amongst the dead

Oven Pan Laptops

Tastes are Mighty in Toriko: Gourmet World, and they are delicious.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

So something else just occured to me, but Melk's kitchen knife for AIR is still at Slow Rain Hills

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I don't even know what the gently caress is going on anymore, but I am 100% behind it as long as there is food to be et.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh crap, Quinn. While I doubt they're going to just kill her off like that, holy crap those were huge chunks taken out of her.

Also, frog and a weird demon/god thing that may or may not have been related to/controlled by said frog. Huh.
I know it's always been weird but for some reason it feels like Toriko's really gone off the deep end here.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
That last part reminds me of Spirited Away for a lot of reasons.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Roland Jones posted:

Oh crap, Quinn. While I doubt they're going to just kill her off like that, holy crap those were huge chunks taken out of her.

Also, frog and a weird demon/god thing that may or may not have been related to/controlled by said frog. Huh.
I know it's always been weird but for some reason it feels like Toriko's really gone off the deep end here.

When I saw those weird demon faces, I thought they were related to the Old Man Daruma that Brunch always mentioned.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
What the gently caress was that?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Roland Jones posted:

The more bizarre Toriko gets the better it is.
I want weird rear end stuff that turns into delicious looking cooking.

And people got bigger chunks off them and survived.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

That's why this is the only manga I really make sure to read anymore.

Sure this has the foundation of a generic Shonen including a huge tournament but;

A: It's legit crazy sometimes
B: The variety of powers keeps things fairly fresh
C: The backstory is fairly well established along with the world itself

and most importantly
D: I really want to eat all the foods.

The Cooking Tourney probably lasted too long but it definitely set the stage for this arc and I'm excited for what's to come.
I think frogman is going to their "antagonist" for a lil but will also teach them about what the hell is going on.

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
Quinn is pretty hardcore.

I like how in the very last panel Sunny and Komatsu are freaking the gently caress out and Zebra's just lounging around with a big grin on his face like its a nice day at the beach.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

dragon enthusiast posted:

That last part reminds me of Spirited Away for a lot of reasons.

The last part reminded me of Hook :v:

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

alkanphel posted:

When I saw those weird demon faces, I thought they were related to the Old Man Daruma that Brunch always mentioned.

I thought so too! Nobody's said it but maybe everyone's thinking it: could this be the Bewitching Food World that Brunch is from? He said it was in the Gourmet World, didn't he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I really want it to be Brunch's hometown so that Komatsu can get all his harem in one octopus. Also want to see Brunch post-timeskip, because I don't think he was in the chef corps spread when everyone left.

• Locked thread