Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulcan
Mar 24, 2005
Motobike

Molten Llama posted:

Unless you were on one of their super-low-cost grandfathered unicorn plans (most of which have since fallen vicim to The Great Plan Purge), you were already paying monthly installments. It was just all rolled up into a higher monthly service fee.

I wouldn't really say a unicorn plan? I've just had t-mobile for a while and still use the my faves plan (I rarely call more than 5 numbers for any significant length of time, its been great). The only thing they purged from my account was my $5 tzones unlimited internet access (I'll never forgive them fully for that one).

Looking at my bill, for 3 lines before taxes and fees I'm at $89.93/mo
On their site the cost for a 3 line plan is coincidentally $90/mo

So I will pay a few more cents per month, and gain unlimited talk + data on all lines, however I don't use data on two lines and I don't go over my shared minutes on any line, so its just a nice to have.

It says I will also only get 1GB of 4G LTE data before I'm locked at slower speeds. Is my older plan that has 6GB (website account figure) or "unlimited" (verbiage on paper bill) 6GB+ of LTE data or will they lock me out of LGE speeds on my older plan?

While I agree this might be a better deal for someone with a newer phone plan than me, right now I'm seeing this "deal" as being $400 poorer and a possible loss of 5GB+ of LTE data.

Vulcan fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

I can't. It goes so slow that Speedtest won't finish.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Stick100 posted:

Reports vary from 200k (edge but still decent) to 2mbps (which would be great). Also many people say it doesn't kick in till a decent bit past 5gb (like 5.5/6gb sometimes).

When you get throttled it doesn't actually kick you off HSPA or LTE and onto the EDGE network, it just throttles your speed to something approximating edge speeds. Also, I've found that the real limit as recorded by the data usage on your phone is different from what T-Mobile's website reports. I would hit my limit on the 500 MB plan PRECISELY when my phone had recorded 600 MB used.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

nickutz posted:

I traveled to Omaha last fall and T-Mo worked fine for me. Even tethered a bit to avoid the hotel wifi and it was plenty fast for general use. That's just my experience though.

Sure, I could get T-Mo service if I wanted to bullshit my way into getting a number in some ridiculous area code out in the middle of nowhere (like 660 :wtc: john legere is crazy but not cows-need-phones crazy) but it'd still have signal issues in a ton of places.

I tested it out when I was on Net10 and it was spotty at best. Weird signal dropouts, too. Were you at a hotel out in the sticks? Or within the civilized area?

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
I didn't stray too far from either the centurylink center or Hilton garden inn and the surrounding restaurants/bars.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

nickutz posted:

I didn't stray too far from either the centurylink center or Hilton garden inn and the surrounding restaurants/bars.

Oh okay so you stayed in the proper civilized area.

The farther West you go the fatter and sprawlier stuff gets until you're out in Elkhorn, which is kind of like Omaha's very own leper colony except instead of lepers it's all these inbred hicks who think a 20-minute highway commute to the grocery store is just too short.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
Tmobile is apparently getting rid of the current monthly Corporate/Association discounts.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Naffer posted:

Tmobile is apparently getting rid of the current monthly Corporate/Association discounts.

Source? It probably saves me ~$15/mo.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Civil posted:

Source? It probably saves me ~$15/mo.
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1827276-Tmobile-Advantage-program-MAJOR-changes!!?p=15381583#post15381583
The thread begins with a leaked PDF detailing changes that would affect anyone who had signed up for the advantage discounts after Feb 3rd, that much seems very likely. There are some unconfirmed posts (including the one I linked to, quoted below) that state that it's changing for all users who are already signed up however.

quote:

Well as I said the internal document that we have access to DOES NOT state customers currently on corp discounts will be grandfathered in. As of this point the information the in the link limeybastard is the most up to date information we have. Letters will be sent starting on March 31. Depending on if you are bill current, or bill in arrears between April , 25 and May, 25 will be the last you will see of the discount applying to your monthly statement. The $25 card can be used to pay your bill, buy accessories, or discount off a handset.

Edit: I hope the part about current customers on discounts not being grandfathered in is wrong.

Naffer fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Mar 28, 2014

dentata
Mar 29, 2012
In case corporate discounts will be grandfathered in as long as they're added before 03/31, I'll quote myself in case my earlier post helps anyone out:

dentata posted:

Anyway, to post helpful content: Supposedly discounts on T-Mo service thru AAA and that PTA group are going away/not working anymore. However according to some people on Howard Forums there is a 15% discount on monthly service that still works for Corporate Perks members (it is free to sign up for Corporate Perks). A couple of people have reported success getting that discount to work for them.

Here's the HoFo thread for anyone interested: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1825948-Membership-discounts-are-disappearing-AAA-usafact-org-freelancers-etc

My discount was applied about 48 hours after adding it online.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
https://twitter.com/JohnLegere/status/449758675784056833

Legere is doing some great things. This is not one of them. He's trying to say that corporate discounts are old and outdated.

I have news for him.

Edit: a word

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Mar 29, 2014

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

His posting:

quote:

With Simple Choice, Value & Transparency Are For Everyone

By John Legere, President and Chief Executive Officer

March 28, 2014

I’m writing to let you know about another step we’re taking in our Un-carrier movement to bring true fairness and freedom to US wireless.

As the Un-carrier, we have one totally transparent Simple Choice rate plan, and it’s already a screaming deal. And, we keep making it better and better. In fact, just last month, we added…

- more 4G LTE data – at no extra cost,

- more Simple Global countries, making the world your network in even more places – at no extra cost,

- texting from the US to virtually anywhere in the world – at no extra cost.

Beginning April 1, T-Mobile will be moving away from employer rate plan discounts and replacing them with a T-Mobile reward card of $25 each time an employee purchases a new device. It's simple, clear and transparent – like everything we do. For a family of four who upgrade their devices once a year, that’s as much as $100 off. $200 if they upgrade twice a year.

The old programs were designed to help big carriers close big corporate contracts, with employees as bargaining chips. We aren’t playing that game anymore. This change is about simplifying wireless for everyone … including employees of small and large companies alike.

The other guys’ best plans with fat corporate discounts still can’t match the value of our Simple Choice plan. We offer the best deal in wireless. Period.

A year ago, I promised we’d change this industry, and this is just one more step in the movement. And, we're not done yet. Stay tuned.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Bentai posted:

His posting:

This really goes against the whole uncarrier thing they are going for: you only get a one time credit when you purchase phones from them. I would buy it more if they didn't just raise their pricing of unlimited data.

I mean, I get it's confusing with "hey you get a discount through work but only on this $40 of your $100 bill," but people will take a discount every time either way.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Duckman2008 posted:

This really goes against the whole uncarrier thing they are going for: you only get a one time credit when you purchase phones from them. I would buy it more if they didn't just raise their pricing of unlimited data.

I mean, I get it's confusing with "hey you get a discount through work but only on this $40 of your $100 bill," but people will take a discount every time either way.

Yeah, this move is questionable at best. I know the spin from Legere is attempting to point at "old school fat cat deal closing tools" and such, but anyone who knows how to use a calculator is wise to this.

AT&T: 23% FAN. Applies to $100 data portion of plan.
$100 * 23% = $23 savings each month.
12 months = $276 saved each year, $552 for two years.

T-Mobile:
$25 card each time you get a new phone (every two years?)

So, $552-$25 = $527 difference.

I know his argument will be "but T-Mobile's everyday low, low price will save you more than $527 over the course of two years!" but I disagree with that logic. He's aiming for the "everyday normal guy who just wants an affordable, cool, reasonable wireless carrier who understands the struggle" but it falls apart, IMO.

People love discounts and normally run budgets on a month-to-month basis. Seeing that discount go away will psychologically affect customers, putting loyalty at risk.

My take anyhow. Then again, I have a feeling that many T-Mobile customers don't have a corporate discount anyhow :v:

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
This is quite disappointing. My family is currently saving $198 a year. I'm assuming that the $25 credit only counts if you buy a new phone directly through T-Mobile, which the four of us who just bought phones did not. (2 Moto G's direct from Motorolla and 2 prepaid Nokia 521's)

It's too bad because up until now they've basically been batting a thousand with their uncarrier stuff.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I understand that the company needs to make sure they've got enough capital to spend on network improvements, but the way it's being spun feels a little disingenuous.

Medikit
Dec 31, 2002

que lástima
If your discount is military or government then you will keep it.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Does this go away if you're already grandfathered in? Mine's from Microsoft.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Qu Appelle posted:

Does this go away if you're already grandfathered in? Mine's from Microsoft.

It sounds like it.
http://www.tmonews.com/2014/03/t-mobile-advantage-discount-is-disappearing-full-details-on-upcoming-changes/

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Well, that sucks.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Looks like they changed their minds about booting existing customers off their discounts.

Mike Sievert posted:

Tomorrow we will announce that current custs can keep their corp employee discount. New plan will apply to new custs

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Kreeblah posted:

Looks like they changed their minds about booting existing customers off their discounts.

Oh, that's good. I have gotten my bill for two lines to be less than what I was paying for one line with another provider.

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006
Currently on a family account with verizon that is becoming astronomically expensive. And am looking to be the first family member to test the waters with tmobile. I had been in contact with a Tmobile representative who set up a small business discount for the company I work for. While communicating with him he mentioned that there was a $100 credit for porting a number from a competitor. However when I called the number provided they had not heard of such a rebate. The representative is no longer reachable so I figured I would come here and ask if anyone had heard of that deal?

I am in a not so unique scenario, where my 2 year contract with verizon has run up. I would assume tmobile would want my business just as much as someone with a contract from a competitor. However they don’t seem to incentivize people without ETF into switching carriers..

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Kreeblah posted:

More details:

John Legere posted:

Listening to customers is what makes us the Un-carrier. In fact, the simple act that first ignited the Un-carrier revolution was that we listened to customers -- what they want, what they need, what frustrates them about this crazy industry. That was the spark.

Over the past couple days, I’ve been doing a lot of listening to our customers. And, we've decided to update our implementation plan for the changes I announced to the Advantage Program. Everyone enrolled in the Advantage Program or who applied to enroll before April 1st will be able to keep a rate plan discount as long as they work at a participating employer and remain on a qualifying plan. All of our Simple Choice plans currently qualify. We will be asking that customers participate in a simple annual online employer verification. That's it.

Listen, I still believe that complicated rate plan discounts and backroom deals with big corporations are unfair and part of what needs changing in the US wireless industry. And, I meant what I said: we’re not going to play that game anymore. As of April 1, new customers in these programs can get a $25 Reward Card whenever they buy a device. We're moving away from the notion of different prices for different customers, so we can invest in providing simplicity and value to all customers.

As America’s Un-carrier we’re never going to stop listening and learning and – most importantly – changing what needs fixing in wireless. You have my word on that.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
So uh.... What about AAA discounts? Do those stay in place if you had them for like.... Oh.. Years?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Insane Totoro posted:

So uh.... What about AAA discounts? Do those stay in place if you had them for like.... Oh.. Years?

No idea, but if I had to guess, you're probably boned. There are probably a lot more people who have employer discounts than who have association discounts.

In other news, RIM's dropping T-Mobile because of the promotions they did earlier this year. Because, y'know, they're doing so well that they can afford to lose a major carrier.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
This is the first time in recent memory that a carrier has actually listened to their consumers and made an intelligent decision.

I commend Legere, although I'm sure the fact that their customers aren't married to them via contracts and could flee at any moment might have had something to do with it.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

bobfather posted:

I commend Legere, although I'm sure the fact that their customers aren't married to them via contracts and could flee at any moment might have had something to do with it.

Eh, they are still somewhat married in the sense that they probably financed their fancy new phones with tmo. Coughing up a few hundred dollars to pay off a phone financing agreement is still coughing up a few hundred dollars no matter how you slice it.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Brock Landers posted:

Eh, they are still somewhat married in the sense that they probably financed their fancy new phones with tmo. Coughing up a few hundred dollars to pay off a phone financing agreement is still coughing up a few hundred dollars no matter how you slice it.

Yeah, and when they first announced they were killing discounts, I was like "OK, I have JUMP, so where do I turn in my phone and say screw you guys" and it turns out the answer is "you don't, you're stuck with the EIP, deal with it".

So, you don't have a contract but you have a contract.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
you don't have a contract but you do have to finish paying for your phone. Effectively the same, until you finish paying it off and stop paying that line item every month.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Bisty Q. posted:

Yeah, and when they first announced they were killing discounts, I was like "OK, I have JUMP, so where do I turn in my phone and say screw you guys" and it turns out the answer is "you don't, you're stuck with the EIP, deal with it".

So, you don't have a contract but you have a contract.

You could always jump to the cheapest phone which is about 70 bucks effectively making it a 70 eft.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I think they fixed the "HEH THAT'S NOT A REAL ZIP CODE YOU DIRTY FARMER" problem with their site.

e: I need to look into the process of checking out the Nerd plan. Where do I go to just buy a SIM on the site with no plan attached? It looks like I need to do that first, then it is offered during activation?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

FAUXTON posted:

I think they fixed the "HEH THAT'S NOT A REAL ZIP CODE YOU DIRTY FARMER" problem with their site.

e: I need to look into the process of checking out the Nerd plan. Where do I go to just buy a SIM on the site with no plan attached? It looks like I need to do that first, then it is offered during activation?
http://www.t-mobile.com/bring-your-own-phone.html
looks like $0.99 again. Scroll down and select the one you need.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ilkhan posted:

http://www.t-mobile.com/bring-your-own-phone.html
looks like $0.99 again. Scroll down and select the one you need.

Their mobile site is still in gently caress you mode with my location :v:

Their desktop site was being weird with telling me I had to add lines when I tried to checkout, because it was apparently saying I chose a family plan.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

hotsauce posted:

People love discounts and normally run budgets on a month-to-month basis. Seeing that discount go away will psychologically affect customers, putting loyalty at risk.

My take anyhow. Then again, I have a feeling that many T-Mobile customers don't have a corporate discount anyhow :v:

I think T-Mobile pricing take a bit more forward thinking to understand anyway...

I have a friend that just traded in his and his wife's iPhones for new ones and got them for "Free". I tried to explain that he essentially just sold off his phones for $400 and could have gotten much more than that selling them on eBay and playing the $400 to do a standard upgrade. But he didn't pay anything and he has new phones, so in his mind he couldn't understand how it was a bad deal. But then again, I'm the type of person that will go that extra step if it means putting an extra hundred dollars in my pocket.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
So T-Mobile is offering discount on the nexus 7 LTE soon. Their website states different specs than the one in Google play store. Specifically the LTE and 3g bands. Do we know if it's the same device or it actually has a different modem than the one in Google play?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ordered a SIM, received the SIM, attempting to activate....

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

FAUXTON posted:

Ordered a SIM, received the SIM, attempting to activate....

Getting closer!

Looking at a map, would it work for you to choose Council Bluffs, IA right across the border? Or would that net you a different area code that you don't want?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

td4guy posted:

Getting closer!

Looking at a map, would it work for you to choose Council Bluffs, IA right across the border? Or would that net you a different area code that you don't want?

Can't choose CB. IA only has Des Moines/Ames area, meaning a rather distant area code.

I have had GV for a long time so that's not so much of an issue. I just want to see how their coverage looks when not through an MVNO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
So it says the Military and Government discounts still apply; Do they still apply for new customers, and if so how much is their Military discount?

I have unlimited data on Verizon with 450 minutes and 500 text for $78. Wife is on her parent's 3gb plan and pays $60 bucks a month. To make it worth it to switch, the discount needs to be kinda nice.