Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Myrtle Beach is the closest affiliated team. Where are you traveling through to get to Oak Island? For higher-level ball, there's the Charlotte Knights and the Durham Bulls, who are both AAA.

We're heading through Asheville probably but I don't know if there's going to be much stopping. I think I'm going to try to catch a Myrtle Beach game; only looks about an hour away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Devo posted:

I'm heading to Oak Island, NC in July. The closest bigger town is probably Wilmington and I don't think it's too ridiculously far from Myrtle Beach. I was thinking about maybe making a quick drive to a minor league game when I'm on vacation. Any affiliated clubs nearby there? Went to Charleston last time I visited the Carolinas but that's a little farther than I want to drive this time I think.

e: looks like Myrtle Beach has a SallyCarolina league team, but am I missing anything closer in NC?

I work at the nuke plant near there (Southport) frequently, and last summer I was thinking the same thing but couldn't find anything. Wilmington Sharks exist, but they're collegiate summer league, so not sure that the meager quality you look for would be there.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Pander posted:

I work at the nuke plant near there (Southport) frequently, and last summer I was thinking the same thing but couldn't find anything. Wilmington Sharks exist, but they're collegiate summer league, so not sure that the meager quality you look for would be there.

Yeah after I posted that last night I dicked around on milb.com for a while to see what I could find. There's actually a whole ton of teams 3-4 hours north and west but not much near the NC/SC border. The Pelicans have a home series against Lynchburg the first weekend I'm on vacation so hopefully there's some cool dudes playing on one or both teams then.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Devo posted:

Yeah after I posted that last night I dicked around on milb.com for a while to see what I could find. There's actually a whole ton of teams 3-4 hours north and west but not much near the NC/SC border. The Pelicans have a home series against Lynchburg the first weekend I'm on vacation so hopefully there's some cool dudes playing on one or both teams then.

I'd say just enjoy the beach and restaurants and don't go too crazy worrying about baseball maybe :P

(my favorite restaurants are Turtle Island in Oak Island, and Ports of Call and Fishy-Fishy in Southport)

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Our local minor league club sells all the "middle" seats to season ticket holders that never show up and then "sells out" the seats beyond 3rd and 1st. It's complete bullshit.

They also farm out the concessions to "volunteer" groups so every game there is a new person who has never run the cash register or have any idea about the basic menu. 2 people will be "working" and the rest talking and adjusting their vinyl gloves. It's maddening.

:airquote:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Devo posted:

That's because the only place that people live in NC is 3 hours north and west of Wilmington.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That's because the only place that people live in NC is 3 hours north and west of Wilmington.

But that's not where the beach is :v:

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
I think I figured out which team I should root for. The team that NEEDS me the most.
The Miami Marlins.
I like the idea that every time they've qualified for post-season, both by wildcard, they won. I like that after the win in 97, they completely poo poo the bed worse than any other post-WS team. I like that we stick to archaic methods of referreeing because the Marlins hosed up Instant Replay for everyone.
They seem like these ridiculous, colossal fuckups, with short flashes of brilliance. And they have the worst attendance, the cheapest seats.
So that's it, this year I will be a Marlins fan. And I will know pain.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Quad posted:

I think I figured out which team I should root for. The team that NEEDS me the most.
The Miami Marlins.
I like the idea that every time they've qualified for post-season, both by wildcard, they won. I like that after the win in 97, they completely poo poo the bed worse than any other post-WS team. I like that we stick to archaic methods of referreeing because the Marlins hosed up Instant Replay for everyone.
They seem like these ridiculous, colossal fuckups, with short flashes of brilliance. And they have the worst attendance, the cheapest seats.
So that's it, this year I will be a Marlins fan. And I will know pain.

The thing about being a Marlins fan is that every time they win, it's good for a mustache twirlingly evil front office. I'm sure someone can type a 5 paragraph essay on the multitude of ways Jeff Loria is a world-class fuckwad, but the team's rot goes deeper than that.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

There are at least two great players on the Marlins (Fernandez/Stanton) to root for and a couple other players (Ozuna, Yelich) with some promise. It's not like they're that far away from being a competitive (but not championship caliber) team, it's just that they signed at least 2 players this off-season to be starters (McGehee/Baker) who have no business being guaranteed places in a starting lineup. McGeehee is coming back from playing in Japan after nobody really wanted him a couple years ago (he had a .626 OPS in his last full season which is bad for any everyday player). Baker was pretty good against LHP when he was in his prime years but he's 33 now. That's not a good sign if either the team isn't willing to devote a few more dollars to get major league caliber players at that position or if they felt those players were the best use of funds. Even the Astros or Cubs would have made those players earn their spots or put them into platoons at the very least.

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone
what has happened since 2011 that i should know about other than replay reforms?

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Jose Fernandez is the FUCKIN COOLEST

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Medical Sword posted:

what has happened since 2011 that i should know about other than replay reforms?

Catchers aren't allowed to block the plate without the ball, the Pirates had a 94-win season, and steroid users are killed by pressing on their first offense.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!

Medical Sword posted:

Astros moved to the AL West, now there's interleague play every day.

Each league now has 2 wild card teams, who play a 1-game playoff before the Division Series.

Draft-pick compensation for free agent signings now applies to all agents who decline a qualifying offer of a 1 year contract worth the average salary of the top 125 highest salaries from the previous season (currently around 14-15 million), instead of the old Type A / Type B and arbitration system.

There are new restrictions on how clubs can spend in the amateur draft and on international free agents. Combined with the qualifying offer system, free agency is looking pretty different than a couple of years ago. Stephen Drew had a 111 OPS+ in 124 games last year, is only age 30, but still doesn't have a job several days into the season.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Medical Sword posted:

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Is fanduel.com legitimate? Do I need to be Stat Master J to have a shot at winning, or is it all just daily salary drafts?

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
It's been legit for me so far, I've only been there this week. I am a new FBB player and have good success in the 50/50 games, just make sure your guys are actually in the lineup and the game is going to be played and you're off to a good start there. So far it has been really fun for me, and yes, all the games are one day only, except in basketball where they might be 2 days, or even more, I saw a CBB game that had the Final Four, and like the D2 Championship game, lol. I did one basketball game, thought I was killing it throughout, and then finished out of the money after the real late games, and proved I know nothing about Basketball. Also, there are several players that go for more than Lebron James in daily leagues, which was shocking to say the least.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Is that a fantasy thing? Just a head's up, a bit taboo to discuss fantasy stuff in the regular baseball threads, but there is a fantasy sports subforum and you can probably get any other questions you have answered there.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=248

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Is there any way to see which players are most successful in 0-2 counts?

TheHumanEyeball
Sep 5, 2011
bbref's play index ought to do it, though I think some of its functionality is restricted to subscribers (I don't subscribe so I don't know for sure). Here's a list of all hitters with >=50 PAs in an 0-2 count last year ranked by OPS.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

TheHumanEyeball posted:

bbref's play index ought to do it, though I think some of its functionality is restricted to subscribers (I don't subscribe so I don't know for sure). Here's a list of all hitters with >=50 PAs in an 0-2 count last year ranked by OPS.

Perfect I love you

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I'm planning to try to catch a game this weekend at Camden. Are there any particularly good budget seats I should try to look for?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Mornacale posted:

Catchers aren't allowed to block the plate without the ball

Was not aware of this. About damned time.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Koruthaiolos posted:

I'm planning to try to catch a game this weekend at Camden. Are there any particularly good budget seats I should try to look for?

I sat in the RF seats once when I was a kid and I thought it was pretty good. No idea if those are cheap or not though.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
This isn't a baseball question, but I figure I would ask it in this thread, rather than the N/V.

When is the best time buy tickets from StubHub, as in, when will I get the best prices? I've heard you can get some great deals, but it seems like every time I look for tickets, they are going for what the team sells them for. Is it better to wait for the day of the event? A few hours before the event? Minutes before the event?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Twin Cinema posted:

This isn't a baseball question, but I figure I would ask it in this thread, rather than the N/V.

When is the best time buy tickets from StubHub, as in, when will I get the best prices? I've heard you can get some great deals, but it seems like every time I look for tickets, they are going for what the team sells them for. Is it better to wait for the day of the event? A few hours before the event? Minutes before the event?

The deadline is two hours before the event, and prices generally drop as you get closer to it. (But so does availability.) To get a good idea of it just watch and see. Say a game starts at 7:10... start watching at about 4:40 and checking every few minutes and you'll see.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 8, 2014

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

The deadline is two hours before the event, and prices generally drop as you get closer to it. (But so does availability.) To get a good idea of it just watch and see. Say a game starts at 7:10... start watching at about 4:40 and checking every few minutes and you'll see.

Thanks! I looked tonight, and there was some pretty good prices when I checked. I will use StubHub in the future.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Is it easier to steal bases off a righty or lefty pitcher? Anything else to look for that can give base runners an advantage when looking to commit theft?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Michael Corleone posted:

Is it easier to steal bases off a righty or lefty pitcher? Anything else to look for that can give base runners an advantage when looking to commit theft?

Generally a right-hander, since he has his back to the bag. Speed of delivery is also a big factor, though, so standard "all else being equal" disclaimer.

All pitchers have a "tell", a gesture or action on the windup that indicates whether he's going home or over to first with the ball. Good base stealers pick up on it and use it to gain an extra step. It's usually very subtle, and difficult to catch just watching the game.

One tell I read about was that a particular pitcher would always raise his eyebrows when throwing home, for example. Sometimes it's the way he stands on the rubber, or an extra nod of the head when reading the signs, or some other sort of unconscious action the runner can read.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Deteriorata posted:

Generally a right-hander, since he has his back to the bag. Speed of delivery is also a big factor, though, so standard "all else being equal" disclaimer.

All pitchers have a "tell", a gesture or action on the windup that indicates whether he's going home or over to first with the ball. Good base stealers pick up on it and use it to gain an extra step. It's usually very subtle, and difficult to catch just watching the game.

One tell I read about was that a particular pitcher would always raise his eyebrows when throwing home, for example. Sometimes it's the way he stands on the rubber, or an extra nod of the head when reading the signs, or some other sort of unconscious action the runner can read.

Thanks. The RH things makes perfect sense.

Do catchers still take off their masks before trying to throw out a runner? I haven't seen it in a while, maybe it was just a thing in the movies, because it makes absolutely zero sense, and wastes a lot of time in a game of milliseconds.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Michael Corleone posted:

Do catchers still take off their masks before trying to throw out a runner? I haven't seen it in a while, maybe it was just a thing in the movies, because it makes absolutely zero sense, and wastes a lot of time in a game of milliseconds.

Catchers take off their masks to play pop-ups, usually when throwing it's more likely that it's falling off or being knocked.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
for those of you in the midwest "farm" ball or the independent league is actually some really good baseball, also for dirt cheap. you're never gonna see these guys "Come up" to the show since they're completely unafilliated with the MLB, but there's also that complete difference in mindset that makes it a little different from watching minor league games. MiLB is guys trying to prove they have what it takes to hack it in the bigs, farm ball is guys out there playing to play and have fun. Having grown up down the street from the yankees AA team (funnily enough it used to be a red sox AA team, so Garciaparra's #5 jersey is retired.) it was cool getting to see Jeter and Bernie Williams and whoever else do their rehab assignments (since it was 30 minutes away from NYC most did their rehab at Trenton so they could y'know, live at home), but its a completely different experience watching the independent league.

And tickets are awesomely cheap as well. All you can eat+drink tickets are $20. Granted the choices are PBR or something else i cant remember but $20 all you can drink bleacher seats. Its fantastic.

That said, what the gently caress happened to the NL? Last time i followed baseball was 06-07ish, and since then it appears the NL has turned completely on its head with the Pirates and Reds doing well, my Mets sucking (well, i stopped watching because they started to suck again), the Phillies doing abysmally, the Braves being middling, and the Nats doing well. Is there a quick rundown of what the hell these teams have done to turn around like they have? I'm guessing they all invested heavily in prospects and developed them, which is the problem with my Mets, we burned all our money between building Citi and investing the rest with Madoff. so we havent had any funiding to sink into talent.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Michael Corleone posted:

No. You're coached as a catcher to throw off your mask on pop fly balls to increase your field of vision. With a throw to another base, FOV isn't an issue. That, and it would take so much time to take it off first that you'd never throw anyone out.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

AA is for Quitters posted:

That said, what the gently caress happened to the NL? Last time i followed baseball was 06-07ish, and since then it appears the NL has turned completely on its head with the Pirates and Reds doing well, my Mets sucking (well, i stopped watching because they started to suck again), the Phillies doing abysmally, the Braves being middling, and the Nats doing well. Is there a quick rundown of what the hell these teams have done to turn around like they have? I'm guessing they all invested heavily in prospects and developed them, which is the problem with my Mets, we burned all our money between building Citi and investing the rest with Madoff. so we havent had any funiding to sink into talent.

The Reds and Pirates have both had prospects turn into consistent MVP candidates, supplemented with other talented guys put together by pretty good front offices. The Nationals managed to pick first in back-to-back drafts with generational talents available, plus switched from being cheap to big spenders. The Phillies have one of the 5 worst GMs in baseball loving up their team. The Mets you seem to have a reasonable handle on.

Jim Dwyer
Mar 29, 2014
To expand on the Phillies, they won the World Series in '08, and their GM promptly mortgaged their future trying to win again, year after year. He did not succeed. Now the team is royally hosed as the core of their roster is old/declining and their farm system is barren, leaving them with very little hope for the present or future. All that's left is to await the inevitable fire sale

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Mornacale posted:

The Reds and Pirates have both had prospects turn into consistent MVP candidates, supplemented with other talented guys put together by pretty good front offices. The Nationals managed to pick first in back-to-back drafts with generational talents available, plus switched from being cheap to big spenders. The Phillies have one of the 5 worst GMs in baseball loving up their team. The Mets you seem to have a reasonable handle on.

who'd the Bucs get? McCutcheon? Cause i remember seeing his debut season when i was living in WV and it was dirt cheap to see games (we got tickets behind home plate for like $30), and he was phenomenal from the start.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

who'd the Bucs get? McCutcheon? Cause i remember seeing his debut season when i was living in WV and it was dirt cheap to see games (we got tickets behind home plate for like $30), and he was phenomenal from the start.

Andrew McCutchen is a valid reason to watch Pirates baseball with hope in your heart. My fiancee's dad, who's been a Pirates fan forever, compares the guy (with a fan's boundless optimism rather than things like 'numbers,' admittedly) to Clemente. He's a lot of fun to watch.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Lastings Milledge

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Yeah. McCutchen was the NL MVP last year. They also have...actually, here's the post I wrote for the Meet the Teams thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

He's the biggest star the Pirates have developed, but there's also Neil Walker, Pedro Alvarez, and Starling Marte.

• Locked thread