Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Her coat looks just like my friend's Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

a life less posted:

Her coat looks just like my friend's Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.

This pic had me thinking there was some cocker spaniel mixed in:

e: for comparison, a cocker spaniel

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Apr 2, 2014

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Royal Hammer posted:

Sure- here's another pic of her. Her body looks long and dachshund-y, but her walk and fur look more like a poodle (maybe?) than a dachshund.
Most longhaired dachshunds I've seen have straighter hair, and shorter legs. (it was hard as hell to get her to sit still for this pic!)

Maybe it could just be that she didn't develop right as a puppy. I understand that prior to being rescued,
she spent most of her time chained up in a backyard, surviving on a diet of mostly bugs, and whatever she could catch.
Not to be the debbie downer in this thread, but gently caress her previous owners.

And she is wearing a tag, it's just covered by her massive amounts of frizzy hair.

Depending on how long you've had her, she might have been shaved before. That can change the texture of the coat as it grows out. FWIW that coat looks like it may have been shaved to me.

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

You call yourself a knight; what is that?
Partly so I can give a reference, and partly so I can post more pictures of my own mutt, here's Oliver with the dachshund I think that dog looks like:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You should post more Oliver pics regardless because he is awesome.

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

You should post more Oliver pics regardless because he is awesome.

Well, if you insist:

Showing off his new collar/tag

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

McCloud24 posted:

Well, if you insist:

Congratulations on the adoption of a 1963 Opel Kadett!

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

Christ I must've looked at that picture five or six times before I noticed the license plate. I was just sitting there going "Haha, yeah he is pretty much that color."

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

McCloud24 posted:

Christ I must've looked at that picture five or six times before I noticed the license plate. I was just sitting there going "Haha, yeah he is pretty much that color."

Botswana Adventure Part 1 - Top Gear - BBC: http://youtu.be/OETj9aTYO2Q

Oliver the Opel!

Double Plus Good
Nov 4, 2009
Help, too many cute mutts available for adoption

This one is name "Gunter" and he perfect

This is Dan and he's been adopted already! :)

They're all listed as either terrier mix or spaniel mix. What do you think is in Dan? His face and ears looks a lot like mine. Also, how do you resist becoming a crazy animal hoarder because I would take every single one of these if the 'bad idea' part of my brain would shut up.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Double Plus Good posted:

Also, how do you resist becoming a crazy animal hoarder because I would take every single one of these if the 'bad idea' part of my brain would shut up.
Volunteer. I'd have 3 pups instead of the one if I didn't have the wife and kid to take my time.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Between the car and the Hamster, I'm getting kind of a fizzy sensation in my abdomen.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

RazorBunny posted:

Between the car and the Hamster, I'm getting kind of a fizzy sensation in my abdomen.

Hammond gets that too when he's abroad. He calls it Cholera.

Muscular Typist
Oct 11, 2004

I saw a papillon mix today on Petfinder but she honestly looks like just a papillon to me. The ears seem a little off though but maybe they're just trimmed short. What do you guys think she is?

The pictures aren't that good quality unfortunately.

Neitherman
Sep 25, 2006

He will die without safety brief.

We have two dogs. This is Waffles:

And this is Wheezy:

Now, my wife and I are fairly confident Waffles is mostly if not purebred APBT, but we have no loving clue what Wheezy is. We've speculated she is part baked potato, part giraffe, part sloth, and part lemur. Can anyone offer a guess, either comedy options or legit answers?

Edit: For Imgur giantness when uploading via phone.

Neitherman fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Apr 11, 2014

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Muscular Typist posted:

I saw a papillon mix today on Petfinder but she honestly looks like just a papillon to me. The ears seem a little off though but maybe they're just trimmed short. What do you guys think she is?

The pictures aren't that good quality unfortunately.

Looks like it's probably mixed with a chihuahua. It's a little too fine boned for a purebred papillon IMO.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
We picked up a 'lab mix' from the humane society a week ago.

Thing is, I can't figure out what she's mixed with, if at all (..apart from crazy). She just looks like a lab to me. She was the runt of a litter that was surrendered and her sibling had black / brown coloration, but all they had in the papers was lab mix for both. What do you guys think?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Short of a DNA test, you probably won't get anything more than 'Lab mix'. Which is perfectly fine because she's totally a lab.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Thwomp posted:

she's totally a lab.
Also, adorable.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Thanks! She's called Styx and she is pretty drat cute, except when she lays on her back and opens her mouth with her ears back then she looks like a bat.

When she's not running around like a mental patient, she enjoys trying to sniff the cat's butt and eating catfood. She has taken to retrieving things with basically no training.

Muscular Typist
Oct 11, 2004

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

Looks like it's probably mixed with a chihuahua. It's a little too fine boned for a purebred papillon IMO.

Thanks, my coworker and I thought so too.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

What kind of dog is this dog

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

strong bird posted:

What kind of dog is this dog

Bad photo dog, it's a pretty common breed. Seriously though, it's easier to tell what's it's mixed with if you have a picture or two of it's face.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

Neitherman posted:

Now, my wife and I are fairly confident Waffles is mostly if not purebred APBT, but we have no loving clue what Wheezy is. We've speculated she is part baked potato, part giraffe, part sloth, and part lemur. Can anyone offer a guess, either comedy options or legit answers?

I think the black mask often indicates German shepherd, and I kinda see maybe lab in there too.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I have no idea what Buddy is, besides adorable and perfect. Some people have told me that he looks like a collie but I don't see it.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

ThatPazuzu posted:

I have no idea what Buddy is, besides adorable and perfect. Some people have told me that he looks like a collie but I don't see it.

Looks beagle-ish to me.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Buddy looks like a Cavalier mix to me, but also kind of beagle-ish. Does he make horrific noises that make you want to stab yourself in the face?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

A younger version of my (presumably, help me out) dachshund/terrier mix:

Dyslexiactic
Mar 1, 2011

I'm angry and I want to express it somehow.
:sun:

GanjamonII posted:

Thing is, I can't figure out what she's mixed with
Human mixed with Walmart :haw:

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

Scary Ned posted:

Buddy looks like a Cavalier mix to me, but also kind of beagle-ish. Does he make horrific noises that make you want to stab yourself in the face?

He howls and whines a lot, but I like his noises because he's my puppup. :colbert:

Also, I was thinking beagle myself and, according to the Wikipedia article I read, his personality seemed beagle-y but I know very little about dog breeds so I wasn't sure.

Edit: I googled beagle noises and he makes similar whines but only when he wants something, like my food or sleep, and only briefly. He voices his complaint and moves on like a professional.

ThatPazuzu fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 15, 2014

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

ThatPazuzu posted:

I reckon beagle/cavalier. Pretty common 'designer dog' mix.

Neitherman
Sep 25, 2006

He will die without safety brief.

Scary Ned posted:

I think the black mask often indicates German shepherd, and I kinda see maybe lab in there too.

Thanks. The pound said she was a GSD mix so I'm not surprised others think the same thing. I just can't get over how tiny her ears are in relation to her head. If she's part lab and part GSD I would expect her ears to be huge but I guess that's the luck of the genetic draw.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

6-Ethyl Bearcat posted:

I reckon beagle/cavalier. Pretty common 'designer dog' mix.

I've looked up what they look like and it seems about right. Thanks! The adoption place I used had no idea.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Here's my parents' dog, but they aren't sure exactly what he is. Any educated guesses?

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

Neitherman posted:

Thanks. The pound said she was a GSD mix so I'm not surprised others think the same thing. I just can't get over how tiny her ears are in relation to her head. If she's part lab and part GSD I would expect her ears to be huge but I guess that's the luck of the genetic draw.

Fun lab fact: lab ears are supposed to be long enough to reach the inside corners of their eyes. Next time you see a lab, feel free to check the quality of their ear-size by attempting to cover their eyes with their ears. Most labs will enjoy this game.

Wheezy's ears don't look big enough to cover her eyes, they actually really look like sharpei ears to me. I can't think of another semi-common breed with little flippity ears like that. Anyone else?

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

Mister Kingdom posted:

Here's my parents' dog, but they aren't sure exactly what he is. Any educated guesses?

It's a little hard to tell from just that picture. How big is he?

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me

Scary Ned posted:

Fun lab fact: lab ears are supposed to be long enough to reach the inside corners of their eyes. Next time you see a lab, feel free to check the quality of their ear-size by attempting to cover their eyes with their ears. Most labs will enjoy this game.

Wheezy's ears don't look big enough to cover her eyes, they actually really look like sharpei ears to me. I can't think of another semi-common breed with little flippity ears like that. Anyone else?

The ears remind me of generic floppy triangle terrier ears that you see on several breeds(pictured here on a JRT but larger breeds have them too: http://imgur.com/Vp7G6zN). I don't see GSD in that dog at all, most of the GSD mixes I see have bigger ears that still kinda attempt to stick up(and end up being weird half raised ones most of the time). I'd bet it has some lab in it with that coat, though.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

ThatPazuzu posted:

He howls and whines a lot, but I like his noises because he's my puppup. :colbert:

Also, I was thinking beagle myself and, according to the Wikipedia article I read, his personality seemed beagle-y but I know very little about dog breeds so I wasn't sure.

Edit: I googled beagle noises and he makes similar whines but only when he wants something, like my food or sleep, and only briefly. He voices his complaint and moves on like a professional.

Looks like a pekingese-ish face too.

Speaking of terrier ears, my puppy has full on bat ears when alert, normally they're sort of slicked back creased against her head.

pizzadog fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 16, 2014

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

Psychobabble! posted:

The ears remind me of generic floppy triangle terrier ears that you see on several breeds(pictured here on a JRT but larger breeds have them too: http://imgur.com/Vp7G6zN). I don't see GSD in that dog at all, most of the GSD mixes I see have bigger ears that still kinda attempt to stick up(and end up being weird half raised ones most of the time). I'd bet it has some lab in it with that coat, though.

Sure they look like little JRT button ears. They look like JRT-sized button ears on a large dog. Can you find me a large breed with such wittle-bitty ears?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Scary Ned posted:

It's a little hard to tell from just that picture. How big is he?

About 24-30" long and about 20" tall at the shoulder. No idea about weight - maybe 35-40 lbs?