Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

DrPain posted:

Please don't misunderstand me, I have my own set of disagreements with the sexagenarians and yell at them all the time for poo poo like quoting jobs out in 1980 bucks off the top of their head in my absence. I just post their curmudgeonly opinions/procedures as a method of catharsis. Feels good man.

I have a pile of scrap from the last week, so that C10 will probably be coming by tomorrow morning. Bunch of radiators, those honda struts, a bunch of old mounts etc... I'll be sure to get more pictures of it. That goes for any vehicle I post about, just ask and I'll take a million lovely pictures of it. I'm no ultimateforce, none of these photos are set up to be a photo. I just kind of take snapshots of the shop in between buzzing around jobs and customers.

More pictures of the red s10 XTREME. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

More pictures of the red s10 XTREME. :3:

It's already gone! Control arms went on lickity split last week and I was out of the shop when it was picked up.

:frogbon:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

DrPain posted:

Please don't misunderstand me, I have my own set of disagreements with the sexagenarians and yell at them all the time for poo poo like quoting jobs out in 1980 bucks off the top of their head in my absence. I just post their curmudgeonly opinions/procedures as a method of catharsis. Feels good man.

Haha, no problem dude. :) Most shops I've seen are a young man's game, so it's actually really nice to see career mechanics able to make it at generalized retail in their older age.

Please take a ton of pictures of the C10.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

The lovably lovely '78 C10 junk truck as promised.

My junk man is from the northern part of the state, and his daughter attended UNR. Our respective schools have an intense rivalry with one another, hence the DUKE (gently caress Duke) and OLE MISS stickers. UNLV, my Alma Mater, beat the dog poo poo out of Duke (gently caress Duke) in 1990 to win the NCAA men's basketball tournament. Duke (gently caress Duke) won a rematch in the final game the year after. For the uninitiated, UNLV are known as "The Runnin' Rebels", or just "The Rebels" for short. Ole Miss, also goes by "The Rebels", so long story short, he got jokes.

Work has commenced on the '97 Dodge 3500 diesel concrete truck. We got this big bastard up on the rack for all the normal new used car services, oil change, coolant flush, fuel/air filters, etc... gas cap was lovely so that got replaced as well. We topped off the manual trans fluid, as it looked to be fine, just a smidgen low. Oil pan drain plug was stripped out and leaking, so it'll have a new one of those installed. Only came with one lovely battery, so a pair of new ones are also on the ticket in addition to our time for acting as his agent in acquiring it. The gearbox is a 5 speed, and thank you once more to Ken for his expert knowledge, I will keep all of that in mind.

The customer is a perpetual smart rear end and likes to rile us up about K&N performance gain claims. So we installed a generic parts store house brand paper air filter, but snagged a K&N sticker for the filter box. We're not billing him for a K&N, of couse, but he won't read the invoice.

We're going to see if the sticker makes it any more faster/powerful in his mind, then drop the inconvenient truth on him. :pranke:

We're also suspecting something in the turbo is to blame for the gutless running condition. That is being diagnosed today.

An '03 Ranger 4.0L showed up today. It popped the radiator, and the customer overheated it. The customer states :siren:MY BROTHER IS A MECHANIC:siren: and he has told the customer it's got a headgasket or two that have let go. He put a new radiator in it, why you would do that when you suspect headgaskets is beyond me, but he didn't have the time (read: skill) to do the headgaskets on it, so now it's here. The customer asked for a price on both headgaskets over the phone before having it towed down, and I gave them one, but I suspect this engine might be done for just from my read on the customer and the situation, but we will investigate and diagnose and come up with the best plan for the customer regarding fix or scrap. No sense doing headgaskets if a cylinder is wiped out, or the valvetrain suffered any heat related failures, you get the idea.

DrPain fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 4, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Does that say 'CZAR BLESS AMERIKA'? That tailgate has seen some things.

Also as a Carolina boy I empathize with your feelings re: The University Of New Jersey At Durham

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That truck is honestly one of the best vehicles I've ever seen. I love to see survivors.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Does that say 'CZAR BLESS AMERIKA'? That tailgate has seen some things.

Also as a Carolina boy I empathize with your feelings re: The University Of New Jersey At Durham

Yeah, the junk man has some... interesting political ideas, shall we say.

Oh! I almost forgot! I hired an apprentice today.

There he is cutting his teeth repairing a battery cable end on the concrete dodge diesel truck.

He has no formal training but has always wanted to work on cars professionally. He has been doing simple services for his friends and families cars for a few years. I called some of his family and friends to inquire about his work and attitude, and they had no complaints. I asked him to show up at 7am this morning to chat, and when I arrived at 645am he was already here. All of that combined with his excellent taste in hats earned him a tryout today and next week.

I think he's got potential if he can put up with the old salt around here. Nice kid, real eager to learn.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

DrPain posted:

UNLV, my Alma Mater

Got any Guy Fieri stories?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

DrPain posted:

Yeah, the junk man has some... interesting political ideas, shall we say.

Oh! I almost forgot! I hired an apprentice today.

There he is cutting his teeth repairing a battery cable end on the concrete dodge diesel truck.

He has no formal training but has always wanted to work on cars professionally. He has been doing simple services for his friends and families cars for a few years. I called some of his family and friends to inquire about his work and attitude, and they had no complaints. I asked him to show up at 7am this morning to chat, and when I arrived at 645am he was already here. All of that combined with his excellent taste in hats earned him a tryout today and next week.

I think he's got potential if he can put up with the old salt around here. Nice kid, real eager to learn.

Let him know that the internet is counting on him not to gently caress this up.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Let him know that the internet is counting on him not to gently caress this up.

Make him wear a GoPro

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

Make him wear a GoPro

This, as well as hooking up some kind of live feed to him so we can criticise his every error mercilessly.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Slavvy posted:

This, as well as hooking up some kind of live feed to him so we can criticise his every error mercilessly.

He'll be in my lead diagnostic tech's back pocket for a while, so he'll get more than a fair ration of criticism. Believe me.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
The old timers at my shop are bitter as hell towards newbies like me. "Why should I have to spend 3 hours chasing a broken wire and looking for bad sensors for 90 dollar diag when the young guy gets to hang a 1000 dollar exhaust?!" Of course were all commission. Sucks getting yelled at for not having a 10k scan tool.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Bucephalus posted:

Got any Guy Fieri stories?

He's a few years ahead of me, but I did work with one of his frat brothers in the athletics department. He has a few good stories, off the top of my head I recall one drunken night Guy apparently pulled a girl from a party and back to his dorm room. They didn't make it back to the dorm and instead had sex in a different brother's Jeep Wrangler in the parking lot. I'm told there were bodily fluids everywhere on the seat and floor.

Preoptopus posted:

The old timers at my shop are bitter as hell towards newbies like me. "Why should I have to spend 3 hours chasing a broken wire and looking for bad sensors for 90 dollar diag when the young guy gets to hang a 1000 dollar exhaust?!" Of course were all commission. Sucks getting yelled at for not having a 10k scan tool.

My answer as a shop manager and owner to this hypothetical would be "Because I loving said so, and look for other jobs to sell while you're chasing the complaint. If you find any, I'll sell them for you and have a pile of new parts delivered. Now go back to work or I'll have a line of nothing but PT Cruisers needing timing belts and Volvos with bad alternators for you next week. Need I remind you of the last time you hosed up and I was cool about it?"

I won't put up with somebodies bullshit if they aren't a team player.

Furthermore, the shop owns our capital equipment such as scan tool, a/c machine, rim clamp, etc... So anybody who works here has a right to it.

DrPain fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 5, 2014

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Or PT cruisers needing condensers. :suicide:

In hindsight you were pretty cool about the mirror I broke being a clumsy fuckhead.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

I was wrong about our '03 Ranger. Turns out the head gaskets are fine. We did a chemical block check and found no combustion in the cooling system. We did however find a nasty milkshake in the new radiator and overflow tank.

Our new apprentice is doing as well as can be expected for his 2nd day on the job. He told me this has always been a dream of his. I told him it's his dream to gently caress up, now.

Since the customer had already approved our dollar amount on headgaskets, we went ahead with a cooling system and transmission service. This muck just kept pouring out of the block, tank, and new radiator, but curiously the milkshake did not flow into the trans. I think what happened is the old radiator popped a transmission cooler line, and when the customer's mechanic brother went to replace the rad they saw the milkshake and thought it was engine oil and assumed head gasket? That's the best story I can spin, at least, but it's got a reddish tint to it and is clearly coolant mixed with trans fluid.

It had a hell of a time starting, we traced that problem to a weak fuel pump. A relatively easy job on this truck as far as fuel pumps go. We were able to spend the customers approved dollar amount on the coolant flush, transmission service, engine oil change, fuel pump/filter, belt tensioner, and new cooling fan. Looks like their brother mechanic damaged the fan working on the radiator, it had a few cracked fins.

After pushing this old bastard '68 F250 in and out of the shop a few times we finally got around to rebuilding the carb, replacing the fuel pump, and getting it smogged.

I'll make sure to take more pictures of this '01 Chevy Blazer Xtreme :allears:

It's in for failed smog, check engine light throwing codes for coolant temp slow response and random multiple misfire.

:barf:

What little coolant remains in the vehicle looks awful.

Radiator is pissing out coolant, we filled it with pure water for the time being and did a block check to see if any combustion is leaking into the cooling system, indicative of headgasket failure. Same test we did on the Ranger but I didn't get pictures of it. If any combustion gasses are sucked into the tester, the fluid in it will turn from blue to yellow. This one stayed nice and blue, so we know the head gasket is OK.

To pass smog it'll have to have a new radiator, themostat, tune up, and drive cycle. We also noted a leaks from the intake manifold and valve cover gaskets, but the customer does not want to perform any repairs not related to smog failure, so those leaks will persist.

Meanwhile, I gave my '96 Ranger a wash, claybar, and wax. Sup, detailing thread? :whatup:

I also decided to do something very stupid with it. Some of the baffles in my stock muffler were broken and restricting my exhaust, so I sought out a replacement. Why buy stock when you can go aftermarket for twice the price, right?

The muffler shop across the street from me hooked it up. I really dig the side dump and dual tips. Their welds are beautiful and my truck now sounds ridiculous.

:allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc6f9VTnhNY

I swear it sounds better in person. :ohdear:

DrPain fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 8, 2014

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Haha, a side exit exhaust is just what the Ranger needed.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
That is the best the little ranger has ever looked.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

DrPain posted:

Meanwhile, I gave my '96 Ranger a wash, claybar, and wax. Sup, detailing thread? :whatup:

I also decided to do something very stupid with it. Some of the baffles in my stock muffler were broken and restricting my exhaust, so I sought out a replacement. Why buy stock when you can go aftermarket for twice the price, right?

The muffler shop across the street from me hooked it up. I really dig the side dump and dual tips. Their welds are beautiful and my truck now sounds ridiculous.

:allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc6f9VTnhNY

I swear it sounds better in person. :ohdear:

This is loving fantastic. That exhaust kicks rear end.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

What's the manufacturer on that hg test kit? I've seen the kits that test for combustion gases in the coolant (with a test strip I think), this is a more accurate version?

When you tested the ranger, you flushed first, or tested the milkshake that was in it?

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

angryrobots posted:

What's the manufacturer on that hg test kit? I've seen the kits that test for combustion gases in the coolant (with a test strip I think), this is a more accurate version?

When you tested the ranger, you flushed first, or tested the milkshake that was in it?

Not sure on the brand, I'll find out for you though. When we tested the ranger we flushed the milkshake out, filled it with pure water, and ran the test.

:siren:FORKLIFT FUN:siren:

Certified Forklift Operators avert your eyes!

The body shop I share a parking lot with is expanding their operation into a bigger space in the same building.

Today they took delivery of what I assume are lifts of some kind. But oh no! Whats this? They don't have a forklift?

I GOT YOU, BROS!!

I didn't expect the pallet to be so goddamn long! It just kept coming out the longer I pulled on it. Eventually, I got the other end of the pallet onto the truck's liftgate, and the driver and I lowered it down together. I then picked it up from the side and put it in the corner to be unpacked.

I didn't charge them anything, just asked that they sublet some of their mechanical repairs to me in the future.

DrPain fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 8, 2014

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

DrPain posted:

I'll make sure to take more pictures of this '01 Chevy Blazer Xtreme :kimchi:

Awesome. And I love that exhaust on your ranger, that shop does clean work.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

This is loving fantastic. That exhaust kicks rear end.

No poo poo, I almost - almost - want to do the same to my 2.5L Ranger now.

Seeing as I can't be assed to install the plugs and wires I've had sitting around for it, though...nope.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

DrPain posted:

Not sure on the brand, I'll find out for you though. When we tested the ranger we flushed the milkshake out, filled it with pure water, and ran the test.

:siren:FORKLIFT FUN:siren:

Certified Forklift Operators avert your eyes!

The body shop I share a parking lot with is expanding their operation into a bigger space in the same building.

Today they took delivery of what I assume are lifts of some kind. But oh no! Whats this? They don't have a forklift?

I GOT YOU, BROS!!

I didn't expect the pallet to be so goddamn long! It just kept coming out the longer I pulled on it. Eventually, I got the other end of the pallet onto the truck's liftgate, and the driver and I lowered it down together. I then picked it up from the side and put it in the corner to be unpacked.

I didn't charge them anything, just asked that they sublet some of their mechanical repairs to me in the future.

That's how literally every long piece of freight is delivered. Unless the truck doesn't have a liftgate, in which case you tell them to come back the next day with a truck with a liftgate.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

IOwnCalculus posted:

No poo poo, I almost - almost - want to do the same to my 2.5L Ranger now.

Seeing as I can't be assed to install the plugs and wires I've had sitting around for it, though...nope.

Makes me feel like a pussy, replacing the muffler-back of the 3.0 Ranger we flipped last month with stock replacement muffler and tailpipe. :(

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

That's how literally every long piece of freight is delivered. Unless the truck doesn't have a liftgate, in which case you tell them to come back the next day with a truck with a liftgate.

Interesting. I literally have no idea what I'm doing. :toot:

meatpimp posted:

Makes me feel like a pussy, replacing the muffler-back of the 3.0 Ranger we flipped last month with stock replacement muffler and tailpipe. :(

I don't blame you for going cheap on a flip. No worries man!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

That exhaust sounds awesome, love this thread.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You're kidding, right? When we get long freight like that, it comes on a flatbed and you take your lift out in the parking lot and unload it from the side of the trailer. What's really fun is when you get a piece of machinery 25 feet long, about 8 foot wide and 10 tall, and around 5 tons, and you have to use two forklifts (one at each end) and maneuver them from the dock through four sets of doors and around 5 tight, blind turns while the whole thing sways back and forth on the chains it's hanging off the forks from. :getin:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
That sounds like the sort of stuff that would be much better done with air casters.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

That sounds like the sort of stuff that would be much better done with air casters.

"Hey so have you got the stuff to lift this?"
"...we have a forklift"
"Ok I'll just come back late-"
"NO YOU WON'T WE NEED THAT EQUIPMENT TODAY OR THE ENTIRE SCHEDULE GETS hosed UP YOU STAY RIGHT THERE WE WILL MAKE THIS WORK"

And that's how machinery ends up on the ground.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.

Slavvy posted:

"...we have a forklift"
"NO YOU WON'T WE NEED THAT EQUIPMENT TODAY OR THE ENTIRE SCHEDULE GETS hosed UP YOU STAY RIGHT THERE WE WILL MAKE THIS WORK"

Not today! :)

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Love this thread more every day, and that exhaust on the Ranger is the loving tits.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

DrPain posted:

Interesting. I literally have no idea what I'm doing. :toot:

Sometimes, if the freight is robust, you can do it without a liftgate. Drag the freight out until just a couple of feet of it are still in the trailer and set your end on the ground. Then come around from the side and lift the freight from the middle. Once it's balancing on your forks, reverse while turning towards the trailer, allowing the remaining bit of freight that's still inside of the trailer to swing out of the trailer door. Then you just drive forward or have the truck drive away.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
Dude I love this thread.

How do you find the time/energy to take pics and what's more, write out all of this stuff all of the time?

It's totally appreciated and your writing is hilarious. Sounds like you bastards have fun there.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Is it the perspective, or is that one seriously narrow forklift?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Its narrow but built for small spaces. When I worked at Menards the only decently large ones were the diesels we used in the outside yard. The inside electrics were tiny but also had killer lifting power.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Slavvy posted:

"...we have a forklift"

Machinery movement is pretty much the "If I fits I sits" end of forward planning almost everywhere. Is there any combination of equipment that will allow us to do this? Right, fine, get it done.

It's not their 200 grand CNC.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I've used electrics (walk-behinds anyway) before, they were quite a bit wider.

Also discovered what the big red button did a couple of times. If you've never used a walk-behind forklift, or an electric pallet jack... you need to hit that button at least once; it is absolutely amazing.. once people stop screaming at you about the new holes in the wall and the trail of wreckage don't look at the big red button if you're near an electric panel or transformer unless you want to learn what 3rd degree burns and arc flashes are all about :haw:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Apr 9, 2014

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

some texas redneck posted:

I've used electrics (walk-behinds anyway) before, they were quite a bit wider.

Also discovered what the big red button did a couple of times. If you've never used a walk-behind forklift, or an electric pallet jack... you need to hit that button at least once; it is absolutely amazing.. once people stop screaming at you about the new holes in the wall and the trail of wreckage don't look at the big red button if you're near an electric panel or transformer unless you want to learn what 3rd degree burns and arc flashes are all about :haw:

:raise: On most power equipment, the BRB is the emergency power disconnect - the only thing it should do is shut the machine off. I don't know what the hell button you're talking about, but I've never seen a button that could cause the various things you just described on any forklift, pallet jack, rider jack, or man-up in nearly a decade of being a professional forklift wrangler. I gotta hear the story behind this one...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
The best red button to press is the one on the back of cement mixers. But then again i am an evil bastard.

• Locked thread