Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I've always read that to be you could go to places like theaters to see the event, as opposed to it being available on cable or similar. You're probably more familiar with closed circuit television written as CCTV, it still exists to this day for security purposes, gig venues where you can't always see the stage etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Fag Boy Jim posted:

This is probably very stupid, but I can't actually get a clear answer on Wikipedia, so-

What did it actually mean when the old Starrcades/Wrestlemania I were on "Closed-circuit television"? Is that like, a local-area PPV or something?

Pretty much. You'd pay money to see the event at a local venue that was showing it, kinda like paying a cover charge to go to a bar showing a UFC event today.

I'm too young to remember this, but apparently Wrestlemania I was shown on the local ABC affiliate in Pittsburgh due to a problem at the local showing:

quote:

A technical glitch ended the closed circuit broadcast early into the showing at the Civic Arena in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. To appease angry fans who pelted the screen with garbage, WrestleMania was broadcast in its entirety on local ABC affiliate WTAE-TV two weeks later.[23] This mishap is mistakenly attributed to WrestleMania 2 in the "True Story of WrestleMania" DVD and Blu-ray release.

The WWF continued to advertise their big cards as "available on pay-per-view and closed circuit television" as late as the early '90s.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 9, 2014

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm intrigued as to whether PPV buy rates being affected were the reason they stopped doing events in the UK? If that's the case, could a shift to Network mean that we might get one back on our shores again?

SummerSlam 92 from Wembley still looks amazing to this day, and there's a new stadium there now. It'd be amazing if they did another SS or similar there. I'm 32, and I'm guessing most people my age know people who went (I think I know 4 or 5 in total, all separate), it's just one of those iconic events. I'm hoping to go out to my second Mania in 2016 but it's bloody expensive for a Brit, I'd buy decent tickets to a good UK PPV in a heartbeat though.

(Unless there's just not enough demand to fill Wembley in the UK these days? I know the tours always do well but they're obviously in smaller venues like Wembley Arena. NFL fills out Wembley Stadium multiple times a year now though...)

Probably.

The Network shift certainly makes it more possible but it would be a B-show if it happened at all.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Fag Boy Jim posted:

This is probably very stupid, but I can't actually get a clear answer on Wikipedia, so-

What did it actually mean when the old Starrcades/Wrestlemania I were on "Closed-circuit television"? Is that like, a local-area PPV or something?

Yup. I watched Wrestlemania 5 at Maple Leaf Gardens here and it was just a gigantic screen.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I distantly recall a theater in Thunder Bay, Ontario running WWE PPVs in the mid-2000's.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Theatres in Toronto still run WWE PPVs, off and on. I remember checking about one recently (Royal Rumble maybe?) Where no one was showing it, but looking now and theatres are listed for Extreme Rules, Payback and MITB

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Same in the Vancouver area. I can't imagine myself ever watching a PPV that way though since it would probably be a theatre full of kids and their stressed-out parents.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Delsaber posted:

Same in the Vancouver area. I can't imagine myself ever watching a PPV that way though since it would probably be a theatre full of kids and their stressed-out parents.

In Edmonton, it's usually not many kids, except at wm and RR. And even then, it's like 10%ish.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Whenever I've been to a show at a theatre it's full of the dregs of society, no kids or anything. It's basically like going to your average indie show.

It's pretty fun though, seeing it with a bunch of other enthusiastic wrestling fans is as close as you'll get to being there in the live crowd. I remember the theatre freaking out for Cena to tap when he went up against HHH at Mania that one year.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

triplexpac posted:

Whenever I've been to a show at a theatre it's full of the dregs of society, no kids or anything. It's basically like going to your average indie show.

It's pretty fun though, seeing it with a bunch of other enthusiastic wrestling fans is as close as you'll get to being there in the live crowd. I remember the theatre freaking out for Cena to tap when he went up against HHH at Mania that one year.

It's been a few years, but when I checked out Wrestlemanias at the Scotiabank Theatre in downtown Toronto it was filled with 20-somethings and university students. Loud smarks and older fans mostly, probably helped by the face that parents probably wouldn't want to take their kids to a relatively close-quarters space for such a rowdy show.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Thauros posted:

The WWF continued to advertise their big cards as "available on pay-per-view and closed circuit television" as late as the early '90s.

And even after that they'd talk about how you could go to WWF Blast Zones (supported venue showing the event) to see the PPVs.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
http://www.wwe.com/inside/remember-that-time/page-8

So this article doesn't really answer the question but who the hell thought letting Scott Steiner come to the ring with a live tiger was a good idea and why would he do that anyway? Or is the answer just simply because Scott Steiner?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm intrigued as to whether PPV buy rates being affected were the reason they stopped doing events in the UK? If that's the case, could a shift to Network mean that we might get one back on our shores again?

SummerSlam 92 from Wembley still looks amazing to this day, and there's a new stadium there now. It'd be amazing if they did another SS or similar there. I'm 32, and I'm guessing most people my age know people who went (I think I know 4 or 5 in total, all separate), it's just one of those iconic events. I'm hoping to go out to my second Mania in 2016 but it's bloody expensive for a Brit, I'd buy decent tickets to a good UK PPV in a heartbeat though.

(Unless there's just not enough demand to fill Wembley in the UK these days? I know the tours always do well but they're obviously in smaller venues like Wembley Arena. NFL fills out Wembley Stadium multiple times a year now though...)

That's probably the reason why they stopped although it may not have been fair given the card. Meltzer ran some numbers and apparently if they could fill a stadium in the UK it would have been more profitable to run a B PPV there even before the Network, so with the Network there should be a chance.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Boardroom Jimmy posted:

So this article doesn't really answer the question but who the hell thought letting Scott Steiner come to the ring with a live tiger was a good idea and why would he do that anyway? Or is the answer just simply because Scott Steiner?

That tiger was one of Steiner's freaks. They had know way of knowing just what Steiner meant when he said he wanted to have one of his freaks in the ring.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Boardroom Jimmy posted:

Circa-2000 WCW? I think you know who.

Mystery Opponent
Sep 27, 2006

but u was a real nigga
i could sense it in u
I don't know why a tiger would agree to come to the ring with Scott Steiner either, that's way too much danger for a member of an endangered species

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

LvK posted:

That tiger was one of Steiner's freaks. They had know way of knowing just what Steiner meant when he said he wanted to have one of his freaks in the ring.

As opposed to knowing what Big Poppa Pump the Big Bad Booty Daddy Scott Steiner means when he says anything else?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Boardroom Jimmy posted:

The answer is now and always will be "WCW".

budreck
Aug 2, 2005

by XyloJW
Is Roman Reigns related to The Rock?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Cousin, I'd guess. He's Sika's kid (and Rosey's brother).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Anoa'i family tree

Dwayne's grandfather and Joe's grandfather consider themselves "blood brothers," which I believe is considered totally legitimate in their culture, but they are not genetically related.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Which leads to a question that occurred to me when I saw Rock hugging his mom on the way to the ring on Sunday... do Hall of Famers get comped for Mania? It seemed like Rock was kind of a last-minute thing to have his mother come out in order to see him, but if she was there for the HoF, it'd make sense, kinda?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I'm sure they reserve some seats for that sort of thing (I doubt Bret, Bruno, and Backlund paid for their seats, for instance). Plus I'm pretty certain they would move/toss some rando if the Rock needed that seat for his mom.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

projecthalaxy posted:

Plus I'm pretty certain they would move/toss some rando if the Rock needed that seat for his mom.

When The Rock found out somebody was complaining about being moved, he asked them to explain what their reasons were. The person started to give his reasons, and then a series of predictable events unfolded.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I imagine WWE reserves some seats near the front of every PPV and just gives them out for internal company reasons like snagging a WWE Legend, a celebrity or an "Employee of the Month" style deal.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Between getting a subscription to the Network, watching Raw and now looking forward to SmackDown, in addition to having a partner that actually enjoys wrestling, I'm back into watching it regularly for the first time in a looooong time. So I've been wondering, is there a regular chat for goons to discuss wrestling? Like an IRC channel or something?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Between getting a subscription to the Network, watching Raw and now looking forward to SmackDown, in addition to having a partner that actually enjoys wrestling, I'm back into watching it regularly for the first time in a looooong time. So I've been wondering, is there a regular chat for goons to discuss wrestling? Like an IRC channel or something?

Game day threads. Come Friday when Smackdown is on, look for the Smackdown thread.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
What was the general consensus at the time, as well as the opinion now, on Biker Taker? As a kid I loved it(oh man he drove a motorcycle to the ring so cooooooooooooool) but now it just seems like a really weird direction that isn't helped by loving awful theme music.

Was it hated back then and I was an outlier?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

OldTennisCourt posted:

What was the general consensus at the time, as well as the opinion now, on Biker Taker? As a kid I loved it(oh man he drove a motorcycle to the ring so cooooooooooooool) but now it just seems like a really weird direction that isn't helped by loving awful theme music.

I thought it mostly sucked then and I think it mostly sucks now but honest to god it was necessary because I think the gimmick would've burned out if it didn't happen.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I have to agree that it was an interesting and somewhat necessary direction for the Undertaker character to take at the time. However, the parade of awful music (Kid Rock, Limp Bizkit) along with terrible matches and the most selfish years he's had really make it a "Meh, you could skip it" time of his career.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

OldTennisCourt posted:

There was a few versions of it, from the Brothers of Destruction-Paul Bearer in sunglasses-Big Show's snakeskin boots version, to the Kid Rock/Limp Bizkit theme song version, to the completely psychotic rear end in a top hat "Big Evil" version. I think the latter one kinda worked but the former two absolutely did not.

A lot of bad angles and other stuff tangentially came out of it, like the Kanyon Boy George gimmick, stalker DDP, David Flair getting television time, Sara Taker getting television time, Undertaker fans being forced to listen to a lot of rap rock two or three years after that stopped being a thing, and all of that was worse than the actual Bikertaker thing.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

He also worked enough of a different style from his Dead Man gimmick that he kind of showed his limitations imo. As has been said, he had bad matches with Kurt Angle, which is challenging

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

When The Rock found out somebody was complaining about being moved, he asked them to explain what their reasons were. The person started to give his reasons, and then a series of predictable events unfolded.
I'm ashamed to admit that this took me a second.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Just watch HIAC vs. Brock and the ladder match vs. Jeff Hardy and you're all set

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Nut Bunnies posted:

Just watch HIAC vs. Brock and the ladder match vs. Jeff Hardy and you're all set

the triple threat with Angle and Rock is good too IIRC

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
I guess bikertaker was supposed to be face at first. Re-watching that era while being older than 13 makes me dislike the gimmick. I loved it when I was a kid but now he just comes off as a psychotic rear end in a top hat bully. It's hard coming off as an rear end in a top hat face and Taker can't do it. The early feud he had with Angle was terrible. It made me sympathetic to Angle when the story clearly was trying to make me pissed at Angle for doing something like accidentally getting milk on Taker's bike. I think Angle tried giving him a scooter to make up for it. Angle came off well meaning but ignorant and got his rear end kicked for it.

bartok
May 10, 2006

The thing I hated most about Biker Taker was how every promo was about how the ring was his yard, he was the top dog, and something something respect. Undertaker has never been a great promo but those Biker Taker promos were the loving worst.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

:For those who don't remember, apply everything that people say about HHH, and add "can't work a match to save his life," and you've effectively summarized the collective opinion of the year 2000's internet on BikerTaker.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

LividLiquid posted:

For those who don't remember, apply everything that people say about HHH, and add "can't work a match to save his life," and you've effectively summarized the collective opinion of the year 2000's internet on BikerTaker.

Oh god, now I'm remembering good ol' Scott Keith's commentary after his review of the Undertaker/Kurt Angle match at a July PPV in 2000. Kurt had just debuted and was doing well, Taker was Bikertaker, and Keith was Keith: he called Undertaker 'Kevin Nash' in every way he could during the review, and after Undertaker won, busted out this gem of seething smark rage.

Scott Keith circa 2000 posted:

"Retire now, you crippled, has been, slow-moving, fried-food eating, motorcyle-riding, no-selling, tobacco-chewing, no-money-drawing, talentless piece of selfish poo poo. Kurt Angle is the future, you are NOTHING. Deal with it. And take Kane with you when you go. I’m sure the idiot rubes will cry and Ask the Rick where you went again for six months the next time you leave, but I’ll be happy to see you gone for good, where you can’t drag down any more PPVs."

I think, subconsciously, when I was reading that, was my very first inklings that big name fans were utterly full of poo poo.

(Ask The Rick was a column on Keith's then-website where people would ask the columnist questions, and apparently while Taker was gone from September 1999 to May 2000 rehabbing injuries they asked where he was a lot)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Big Evil Bikertaker loving ruled. This is where we got the Jeff Hardy ladder match, beating up David Flair in a bathroom, say What if you sleep with your sister, etc.