Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Space T Rex posted:

He has big personality, and is funny.

Seriously. Captain Falcon is one of the most fun characters and 90% of his characterization and 100% of his move-set was made up wholesale for the original Smash Brothers. Luigi is another dude who is a clone of mario but who has been given an eccentric personality that informs a lot of his move-set (the Luigi torpedo, him falling after his uppercut, the limp-wristed charge).

If they put in Waluigi they would have to invent a lot of his moves but him already having a flavorful personality gives him a leg up since he already fits into Smash's quirky sense of humor (you can obviously see this in his Assist trophy with him gleefully stomping people into the ground). But on the bright side for people who don't like him, he isn't in the game so you don't have to worry about it. You have already won!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I am really just never going to get the Waluigi thing. It'd be like if people wanted Johnny Fiveaces as a character. Even Brawl in the Family Waluigi is sort of getting old as a joke.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Rainuwastaken posted:

Wait, what? I always felt that each star force game was an improvement over the one before. What was the problem with 2?

Basically, the critical and fan response to the game, combined with sales being 200,000 less than its predecessor, is the point at which you can generally place the downtown of both the sub-franchise and overall franchise. It evidently impacted upon Star Force 3's sales, which did about 200,000 entirely, despite significantly improved fan response and critical acclaim. And whilst Star Force 1 and its anime proved popular enough to warrant sequels, Star Force 2's anime - Ryuusei No Rockman Tribe - didn't prove popular enough to actually get through all the things from the game it was meant to show off, resulting in a rushed climax because it had to be killed off.

(That said I do still some of the designs and ideas in the game, its just very flawed in how it delivers a lot of its content.)

It'd be nice though if all the other Mega Men got trophies to explain who they are to folks though. Especially given the abundance of the classic and X games on the eshop already, and the possibility that BN and Star Force will show up on the Wii U with GBA and NDS emulation on the way. Sure Volnutt would get the short straw (as usual), but it could still raise awareness of him a bit more.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
Someone linked me to the Waluigi Brawl in the Family comic earlier in the last thread cause I'd never even heard of it, and it was kinda dumb in my opinion. I've been a Waa-man ever since you could play him in mario party.

PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

Waluigi is an internet joke and nerds want to see their jokes referenced everywhere. Nothing else really matters.

See also: The cake is a lie, anything Minecraft, My Little Pony and I guess Goat Simulator in the future maybe.

PS1 Hagrid fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 9, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

So you're saying Waluigi is the Homestuck troll of Nintendo characters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

Seriously. Captain Falcon is one of the most fun characters and 90% of his characterization and 100% of his move-set was made up wholesale for the original Smash Brothers. Luigi is another dude who is a clone of mario but who has been given an eccentric personality that informs a lot of his move-set (the Luigi torpedo, him falling after his uppercut, the limp-wristed charge).

If they put in Waluigi they would have to invent a lot of his moves but him already having a flavorful personality gives him a leg up since he already fits into Smash's quirky sense of humor (you can obviously see this in his Assist trophy with him gleefully stomping people into the ground). But on the bright side for people who don't like him, he isn't in the game so you don't have to worry about it. You have already won!

I don't even dislike Waluigi but his fanbase is rapidly approaching the point where the only difference between them and MLP fans is that they don't want to gently caress him.

Edit: Okay, most of them don't want to gently caress him.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
Its really weird how its impossible for there to be people who like Waluigi cause they like Waluigi, and for there to be people who like a comic he was in. I was not aware these things were mutually exclusive. Now that I know that, do I not exist or do I just like Waluigi cause its an internet meme I hadn't seen yet?? This is very confusing, please understand

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Excels posted:

I thought Capcom canceled all their future MM titles after Inafune quit, there was definitely bad blood between them.

I'll put it this way:
Megaman 9 was considered the best game in the franchise. It appealed to retro gamers, the budget didn't break the bank, the game launched at $15, and everybody loved it.

Megaman 9 didn't sell that many copies, even when they gave it away for free.

People keep bitching about Capcom dumping Megaman, but it turns out nobody wants to admit that they didn't buy the games for bullshit reasons. They just expected a childhood icon to stick around purely for their sake without rationally considering why.

Like, only 60,000 people backed Mighty No. 9 and they bought the equivalent of less than 200,000 copies. This is after Inafune left, after MM was dumped as a franchise, after MM was announced for Smash 4, after the internet furor over never having another MM game, and with front page announcements from every gaming site in a gigantic media circus. That's loving terrible. Yeah, yay, the game's coming out, but those numbers don't bode well for the perfect game with the perfect staff that supposedly everybody wanted and is coming to PC, Mac, Linux, PS3, 360, PS4, Xbone, Vita, AND 3DS. 60,000 preorders across 9 loving platforms.

edit: 10 platforms. Forgot the Wii U.

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 9, 2014

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Quest For Glory II posted:

It's worse than that, Waluigi is the "The cake is a lie" of Nintendo characters. A totally worthless out-of-context throwaway that people think is hilarious and therefore needs to be everywhere.

People legitimately boycotted Mario Kart 7 because he wasn't in it.

Edit:

Space T Rex posted:

Its really weird how its impossible for there to be people who like Waluigi cause they like Waluigi, and for there to be people who like a comic he was in. I was not aware these things were mutually exclusive. Now that I know that, do I not exist or do I just like Waluigi cause its an internet meme I hadn't seen yet?? This is very confusing, please understand

Nobody is saying you can't like Waluigi, but people liking him does not mean the company has to or necessarily should use him in things. See: Lyn from FE, Geno from SMRPG, etc.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
can the next thread be named "shut the gently caress up about waluigi," tia*

So the mons we have currently revealed are Pikachu, Lucario, Charizard, and Greninja, and Jigglypuff brings us to five. What do you think the odds are that Mewtwo makes six, six being the "magic number" that was the amount of playable mons in Brawl? Or is it more likely they'll try to tone 'mon representation down a little?

*could probably equally apply to mewtwo and ridley but oh well

Wild Knight fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 9, 2014

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I don't even dislike Waluigi but his fanbase is rapidly approaching the point where the only difference between them and MLP fans is that they don't want to gently caress him.

Edit: Okay, most of them don't want to gently caress him.

I don't think there's any Waluigicons or Browaluigis yet.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wild Knight posted:

So the mons we have currently revealed are Pikachu, Lucario, Charizard, and Greninja, and Jigglypuff brings us to five. What do you think the odds are that Mewtwo makes six, six being the "magic number" that was the amount of playable mons in Brawl? Or is it more likely they'll try to tone 'mon representation down a little?

[sub]*could probably equally apply to mewtwo and ridley but oh well
Pokemon is one of, if not the, biggest franchise they have. They'd probably make the entire game pokemon if they thought they could get away with it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Wild Knight posted:

I figure its probably either Mewtwo or Sceptile/Meganium/Serperior to round out the Fire/Water/Grass trinity and give us a rep from another generation.

I would kill for Torterra or another huge gently caress-off quadruped though. That could be super fun in smash.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wild Knight posted:

I would say Mewtwo is possible but is probably the most unlikely of the lot. He's not impossible but I'd be on Jiggly before I'd bet on Mewtwo and I wouldn't bet hard on Mewtwo.

A grass-type would not be impossible to round out the missing Pokemon Trainer trio but it'd probably be a previous gen one to go with Gen-1 Charizard and Gen-XY Greninja.

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

I don't think there's any Waluigicons or Browaluigis yet.

Yeah people are exaggerating big time cause they're wrong. But I agree, lets talk about P-mons.

Charizard is in to keep Pokemon Trainer alive somehow, Pikachu is in because Pikachu is THE pokemon mascot, and has always been in. Greninja represents X/Y, Lucario is in because....? I dont know. Seems like that slot is for either Lucario or Mewtwo, and they went with Lucario just because? I don't know what tipped the decision in his favor. Jiggly is probably in due to many already stated reasons. So Mewtwo to make six? I hope so, but with the inclusion of Lucario AND Greninja, I feel its getting unlikely for mewtwo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lucario is stupid-popular and has been since he debuted. There is a reason he is the dude they give you a free one of in X/Y.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
Additionally Lucario had his own movie and is one of the more unique Pokemon concept-wise (no other Pokemon has any relation to "aura")

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Charizard is in to make the Ridley supporters super salty.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Mewtwo's real popular too, though, and everyone was expecting him in smash since he got mega-evos just recently which were more or less X/Y's mascots.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Space T Rex posted:

Charizard is in to keep Pokemon Trainer alive somehow,

Charizard is in because it's motherfucking Charizard. Also, Mega Charizard X is the coolest Mega Evolution in X/Y and even got promoted in Pokemon: The Origin OVA.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Hey there's always hope for a Ridley alt costume for Charizard.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]

Endorph posted:

Pokemon is one of, if not the, biggest franchise they have. They'd probably make the entire game pokemon if they thought they could get away with it.

Which reminds me, Nintendo seriously needs to contract out some kind of Pokemon fighting game. If it was incredibly in-depth and competitive like...I don't know, Injustice or Street Fighter, it'd make a nice counterpart to Smash Bros. even if Sakurai's tailoring more to the competitive crowd this time around.

TaurusOxford posted:

Charizard is in because it's motherfucking Charizard. Also, Mega Charizard X is the coolest Mega Evolution in X/Y and even got promoted in Pokemon: The Origin OVA.

I thought I read somewhere that Pokemon Origins was actually where Mega Charizard X was revealed, is that true?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If Nintendo was going to make a competitive fighter, I doubt they'd choose to associate with Pokemon, of all things.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

TaurusOxford posted:

There is literally going to be another OVA series about how a trainer with a Mega Charizard X goes beating up other Mega Evolutions as part of his whole 'to be a master' gig.

Wild Knight posted:

Which reminds me, Nintendo seriously needs to contract out some kind of Pokemon fighting game. If it was incredibly in-depth and competitive like...I don't know, Injustice or Street Fighter, it'd make a nice counterpart to Smash Bros. even if Sakurai's tailoring more to the competitive crowd this time around.

I thought I read somewhere that Pokemon Origins was actually where Mega Charizard X was revealed, is that true?

Yes to X being added, people were surprised because Y had been previously revealed, and it demonstrated there were two mega evolutions for him.

As for the fighting game idea, there was that brief tease clip with a Lucario and Blaziken facing off from way back, but there's been no word on that since, so noone has a clue what the heck that was or what its intended to be.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
Charizard is lame, Pikachu's lame, Lucario is ultra lame. Put in Piplup, it was the best pokemon in Brawl.

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

[he says, running away]

Endorph posted:

If Nintendo was going to make a competitive fighter, I doubt they'd choose to associate with Pokemon, of all things.

I don't know, as-is Pokemon is one of the most competitive franchises Nintendo has. Especially with all the features tailored to competitive trainers in X and Y, I don't think it's that unlikely.

Granted there are other Nintendo franchises that would probably suit that type of fighter better.

fire emblem

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
If there was a pokemon fighting game, I'd be more interested in it being probably totally broken by letting you make movesets. It'd be wonderful.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

TaurusOxford posted:

Also, Mega Charizard X is the coolest Mega Evolution

Mega Charizard X is pretty cool I guess but it's got nothing on Rock God Ampharos! :black101:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Wild Knight posted:

Yep. Up until then we only knew about Charizard Y, which I still prefer overall, since X seems to be pandering to the fans a little too much, but I still like it.

I mean, I like Charizard a whole lot, who doesn't? But you don't need to keep shoving it in my face in various ways to prove how awesome it is, it grates me a little bit, it's been in specials, manga and another special where the main character wants to beat all other megas using X, totally proving how so awesome it is, see how strong it is. See? SEE?

But then it was defeated by Mega Blastoise, so we all know who the coolest mega really is. :colbert:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Crosspeice posted:

I mean, I like Charizard a whole lot, who doesn't?
This guy. :colbert:

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Serperior would be cool because it would be the first Smash character without legs. I just realized drat near all of the player characters have legs. There's ROB, but who else isn't bipedal or has leg-like appendages?

Quest For Glory II posted:

I think I'd unironically play a Homestuck Smash.

Level Slide fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 9, 2014

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

I am Reverend posted:

Charizard is lame, Pikachu's lame, Lucario is ultra lame. Put in Piplup, it was the best pokemon in Brawl.

Look at this nerd. Can't even spell "Gulpin" correctly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Level Slide posted:

Serperior would be cool because it would be the first Smash character without legs.
Jigglypuff and Kirby have feet but not legs. :v:

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I'm glad that Jigglypuff is basically a lock so we don't lose the Rollout neutral-B move.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Endorph posted:

Jigglypuff and Kirby have feet but not legs. :v:

I don't think ROB has legs either.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 9, 2014

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Look at this nerd. Can't even spell "Gulpin" correctly.

Yeah ok but seriously wobbuffet.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

I don't think ROB has leg either.

If only we could play as Rayman...

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

I am sort of legit disappointed that Elec Man is an assist trophy over Proto Man. Considering Grey Fox/Shadow the Hedgehog were also Assists, it felt like the Mega Man version of those assholes would make more sense than a random Robot Master.

A Protoman Assist Trophy would just be him teleporting down, starting his theme song and posing for a minute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

A Protoman Assist Trophy would just be him teleporting down, starting his theme song and posing for a minute.
Triggers the end credits from Megaman 3, just with your character replacing Megaman.

• Locked thread