Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
topiKal
Mar 11, 2006

Rock Solid.
Heart Touching.

Red Robin Hood posted:

How do I purchase an app that is free right now that I'm afraid might go back to a paid app (Warhammer Quest)?

If you "purchase" (IE: download) any app, it then belongs to you. Doesn't matter how much it was at the time you downloaded it -- even if it was free. If/when the price goes back up, you will still own the app and can redownload it at any time on your device.

I don't know of a way to purchase an app without being on the device, but I've never tried.

My best advice to you is to download the AppShopper app and set it to only display Price Drops. If you check it every morning, you'll see everything that has dropped in price that day (including those that went free). Even if you don't want to try it til later, download it and then delete it. You can always download it again later, because you now own it.

EDIT: You can look through all the apps that you 'own' in the App Store by going to the 'Updates' section and browsing the 'Purchased' submenu. You can also download them from there.

topiKal fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Scratch-O posted:

Hitman Go, that Hitman strategy game with the cool board-game aesthetic from a month or two back, is releasing worldwide on the 17th. $5/£3/€4.5, 68 levels at launch. No mention of IAP, but they say you can unlock everything by completing all the side-missions, so that's good.

gently caress yes that game looks like it is going to be awesome. iOS has be releasing a lot of good game recently.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

topiKal posted:

I don't know of a way to purchase an app without being on the device, but I've never tried.

If you use itunes, the appshopper links usually posted here have a link to open that app in tunes. From there just click on "buy (free)" and it tied to your account forever.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009

Scratch-O posted:

Guests are no longer "brained" . They walk around full solo & yolo

A statement true of today's youth.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

Star Wars Assault Team question: how the hell do you play this game without a healer? I've got Han, Luke and Chewie to tier 3, and my most valuable player is still my capped lvl2 rebel doctor. I haven't found any other healers so I'm kinda just stuck with him....

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

bubbapook posted:

Star Wars Assault Team question: how the hell do you play this game without a healer? I've got Han, Luke and Chewie to tier 3, and my most valuable player is still my capped lvl2 rebel doctor. I haven't found any other healers so I'm kinda just stuck with him....

I was only able to replace him with a Wookiee Brawler, which heals other Wookiees.

You also have to get really clever with Luke's deflect. Use it a lot.

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
I thought Rollecoaster Tycoon not being free was good news... but they still manage to ruin another classic. I guess it's back to playing dos games on the ipad (too bad I can't connect a mouse :( )

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Whoa the new Trials game came out? Only a few levels in but it looks freemium as gently caress with an energy mechanic & everything, but the core gameplay and controls also seem spot-on. Feeling so conflicted...

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Is the Transport Tycoon iPad port any good? Paid and no IAP but I don't want to spend $6.99 on shovelware if it sucks.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 10, 2014

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

bubbapook posted:

You end up out-growing them. Stat boosts for tier 4 characters dwarf the ones in tier 3, so you basically hit the point where your team hits hard enough and has enough HP that healing isn't a necessity and you're better off replacing that guy that does 19 damage and has 57 HP with a unit that does 60-100 damage and has 200 HP.

And yeah, using Chewie and/or Luke to buy you some time helps too.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

goferchan posted:

Whoa the new Trials game came out? Only a few levels in but it looks freemium as gently caress with an energy mechanic & everything, but the core gameplay and controls also seem spot-on. Feeling so conflicted...

Just try it, dude. You don't spend any energy when you restart, if that helps.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Edit: sorry, weird delayed double post

goferchan fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 11, 2014

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Any thoughts on RBI Baseball? Or any baseball game that isn't a super korean dating sim or card based game?

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
I haven't tried RBI baseball but the writeup on SBNation doesn't make it sound good.

9 Innings 2011 is card based, but you get so many free cards that you can pretty much put together the team you want very quickly. I hate card based games but barely notice it with this game, and IMO it still has the best actual baseball gameplay I've tried on iOS. Having real players is awesome too, the rosters being 3 years out of date does hurt a little.

I mostly get my baseball fix from iOOTP 2013 though. There's not a lot of "gameplay" per se since it's a simulator, but it's fun making trades, and I actually play through every game of my team's season. I did a couple of seasons pitch-by-pitch but now I just go batter by batter. Once you actually pick "pitch" or "swing" it just sims the rest of the plate appearance for you, but before that you can still give as many orders as you want - take pitch, bunt, steal, pick-off, pitch-out, etc - still feels pretty interactive.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Scratch-O posted:

Just try it, dude. You don't spend any energy when you restart, if that helps.

I'm not too far in, haven't had enough free time to properly sit down with it, but yeah so far if you're consistently beating the levels it seems like you're refilling energy at a fast enough rate that you shouldn't have to sit around and wait -- kinda like Puzzle & Dragon, which I always thought had a very fair curve for an energy timer based f2p game. I don't like at ALL the incremental upgrading of bikes -- I generally like games with RPG elements & I understand it's one more hook they can add to keep people playing & paying but I was a nerd about the Trials games and this game seems to have physics, controls, and course design on par with the rest of them. I don't want to not land a jump because I didn't grind out enough coins to upgrade handling, I want to not land it because I'm not playing well enough. Also fucks with any kind of decent leaderboard system which was a big draw in the old games. I'm sure I'll keep playing and have some fun with it but it's a bummer they hosed with the formulas that made (IMO) Trials into the most deep & compelling & replayable XBLA games ever. Never thought I'd be that guy in the thread, oblivious to what actually makes money on the App Store, saying "I wish they just released X for a flat $10 without any f2p stuff" but they finally hit me where it hurts & here I am.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Holy hell, an actually good Warhammer Fantasy game

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Warhammer Quest owns (even if it's a little tough & oldschool) and is CRAZY good value for a free game, even if none of the expansions or IAP or whatever even existed. I have never played or done anything Warhammer related in my life and it's great; if you have any interest in old-school RPGs (like Wizardry old-school) or weirdo board games then it's such a no-brainer

Captain Morose
Jun 20, 2005
A game I did a bit of work on just launched in the US for iphone & ipad. Fable Age!

http://fableagegame.com/

It's a pretty straightforward Puzzle & Dragons clone, if you're into that sort of thing. And they're planning to add a lot of deeper RPG elements to it over the next several months, or so I hear. Check it out, and let me know what sucks - I'll pass feedback along to the team.

Captain Morose fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Apr 11, 2014

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

marshmonkey posted:

Any thoughts on RBI Baseball? Or any baseball game that isn't a super korean dating sim or card based game?

I like RBI. It reminds me a lot of the classic from the NES. It's very simple, think NES controls on the iPad, very simple game play. Games have been taking me about 15-20 mins. Graphics aren't anything special but I've been having a good time with it. I think it's worth $5 if you want a quick, no frills, arcade like baseball game.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Captain Morose posted:

A game I did a bit of work on just launched in the US for iphone & ipad. Fable Age!

It's a pretty straightforward Puzzle & Dragons clone, if you're into that sort of thing. And they're planning to add a lot of deeper RPG elements to it over the next several months, or so I hear. Check it out, and let me know what sucks - I'll pass feedback along to the team.

I played through the tutorial, and a bit past. The art style seemed weird at first, but is growing on me. I'm not sure how to feel about the path-tracing play style yet, especially with the small playfield. But mostly, I was disappointed that you didn't seem to have changed the whole rerolling mechanism, which I consider PaD's biggest weakness. I drew some unimpressive looking druid, and now I can either redo the whole tutorial, or be hobbled for who knows how long. That's a bummer.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Am I wrong or is Warhammer 40K: Storm of Vengeance a complete waste of $5?

Captain Morose
Jun 20, 2005

Sailor_Spoon posted:

But mostly, I was disappointed that you didn't seem to have changed the whole rerolling mechanism, which I consider PaD's biggest weakness. I drew some unimpressive looking druid, and now I can either redo the whole tutorial, or be hobbled for who knows how long. That's a bummer.

Wasn't my decision to make, unfortunately. I was on the art team.

You really won't be hobbled, though. It randomly unlocks new guys for you pretty frequently in the early game, and you'll accumulate "fable stones" fast enough to get at least a few decent units in the first several hours. Takes quite a while before progression gets difficult at all.

And, yes, the path tracing mechanic is a little cramped on iphone. It's been one of my one of my biggest criticisms too. The game really plays a lot better on an ipad.

Captain Morose fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 11, 2014

Tag Plastic
Jun 10, 2006

Not organic.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Is the Transport Tycoon iPad port any good? Paid and no IAP but I don't want to spend $6.99 on shovelware if it sucks.

We've got a Lite version out, it's pretty restrictive but you can run a few scenarios for a couple of years to get the feel of it. The full game was also updated about a week ago with a bunch of new scenarios based on player feedback. Plus if it matters to you, Chris Sawyer has been very involved with development and has the final "Yea" or "Nay" on whatever we do.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Tag Plastic posted:

We've got a Lite version out, it's pretty restrictive but you can run a few scenarios for a couple of years to get the feel of it. The full game was also updated about a week ago with a bunch of new scenarios based on player feedback. Plus if it matters to you, Chris Sawyer has been very involved with development and has the final "Yea" or "Nay" on whatever we do.

But what of the experience points and Tycoon bucks?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Dragonrah posted:

This looks interesting...

Rollercoaster Tycoon 4 Mobile. Anyone try it yet?

http://appshopper.com/games/rollercoaster-tycoon%c2%ae-4-mobile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtqBv0Yu9NE

:classiclol:

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
The thing that sucks about Rollercoaster Tycoon 4 is there's a moment there where you're like "Oh man this poo poo is awesome." ...Then you run out of the premium currency crap they give you for your $2.99 basically at the end of the tutorial and then you're left with a free to play game that has 10 hour timers you can't skip without putting more money in.

Building the rollercoasters themselves is actually done quite well and is pretty neat... *sigh*

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

goferchan posted:

The in-app purchases aren't too bad. I picked up the starter pack just because I wanted to support Redlynx, and you're pretty much set after that. I spend gems like it's nothing and I still have plenty. Energy mechanic only affected me after I sat on my couch with my phone for two hours.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Agoat posted:

The in-app purchases aren't too bad. I picked up the starter pack just because I wanted to support Redlynx, and you're pretty much set after that. I spend gems like it's nothing and I still have plenty. Energy mechanic only affected me after I sat on my couch with my phone for two hours.

Yeah, I played for a solid hour non-stop totally uninterrupted by the free to play poo poo. Part of me thinks the game is going to get a "balance" update to significantly change this as I feel decently far in it and haven't needed to buy anything at all, on any level.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Pladdicus posted:

But what of the experience points and Tycoon bucks?

That's RCT4. Transport Tycoon doesn't have any IAP.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

I was really expecting FTL to end up being totally overrated. I just sit there playing for ages at a time bitterly wrong now.
I do think Out There has it's own fair place but gently caress me if Star Command isn't a poor imitation.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Whoa how did A Dark Room all of a sudden become super popular? Currently #3 all paid apps.

http://appshopper.com/games/a-dark-room

It's a fantastic game that I'm glad to see doing well. Just wondering why it's exploded in popularity.

This is the original website version. The game was expanded somewhat though for the IOS version

http://adarkroom.doublespeakgames.com/

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

io_burn posted:

Yeah, I played for a solid hour non-stop totally uninterrupted by the free to play poo poo. Part of me thinks the game is going to get a "balance" update to significantly change this as I feel decently far in it and haven't needed to buy anything at all, on any level.

It's a giant advertisement for Trials Fusion, so I wouldn't stress it too much.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

That's RCT4. Transport Tycoon doesn't have any IAP.

:thejoke:

(It wasn't very obvious :()

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

theblackw0lf posted:

Whoa how did A Dark Room all of a sudden become super popular? Currently #3 all paid apps.

http://appshopper.com/games/a-dark-room

It's a fantastic game that I'm glad to see doing well. Just wondering why it's exploded in popularity.

This is the original website version. The game was expanded somewhat though for the IOS version

http://adarkroom.doublespeakgames.com/

It was a neat little game, my first timerbased kinda idler.

Any idea what's changed?

Superschaf
May 20, 2010

Captain Morose posted:

I played up to rank 10 and it seems pretty fun so far.
One thing that needs improvement is the UI responsiveness. Puzzle & Dragons has visual feedback when buttons are pressed and the screen transitions start a lot faster and go quite a bit quicker.

One question I have is whether it is possible to play on the same account with two devices. As you said it plays better on the iPad but I'd still like to play it on the go.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

I like it so far. Naturally, I decided to keep rerolling until I get a 5 star monster.

Captain Morose
Jun 20, 2005

Superschaf posted:

One question I have is whether it is possible to play on the same account with two devices.

I wish. I agree that that would have been nice, but then players would have to create a unique username, password, input email for recovery, etc. Most people can't be bothered and will just quit the second they hit a login screen. Maybe it could have been handled through game center or a facebook login? I dunno. Not a programmer.

I'll mention the stuff about the UI responsiveness. I imagine there's quite a bit of optimization on the to-do list.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
Does WH Quest make anyone else's phone heat up like crazy?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Pan Ache posted:

Does WH Quest make anyone else's phone heat up like crazy?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Captain Morose posted:

You do yourself a disservice by calling it a PAD clone :v: Puzzle Troopers was a PAD clone, this is something else. I'm enjoying it quite a bit so far -- the matching mechanics are like that of PuzzleCraft, but when new blocks cascade in they're subjected to standard match-3 rules, making strategic matching important. The Link system is also great (where you can match across colors by using up a secondary resource) and there's neat interactions where you can use up links to make a bunch of off-color matches and refresh the board, or use links to complete a mass attack.

Can't say much about the monster system, though the "every monster has a passive" is nice since it makes monsters more differentiated than just "leader + 4 active skills". I'm definitely going to tool around with it for a while.

• Locked thread