Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

http://youtu.be/tiQxXgyutA0

Sorry, quickfuck edited then posted on mobile, there are two more in the related videos. I don't know the guy, it was my commute home and he wouldn't leave me alone for quite awhile before I remembered to plug the dash cam back in. He would speed away for a mile, slow back down, and gently caress with me again. I ended up calling the police when it was safe, but they don't give a poo poo

You probably had the nerve to merge in front of him when he was 30 carlengths back but going faster than the lane you merged out of. Seems like a good chunk of the time when I merge into a faster lane with plenty of room, whoever is now behind me is mad at me for taking up their precious open road, even while I'm accelerating up to the proper speed for the lane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

IOwnCalculus posted:

You probably had the nerve to merge in front of him when he was 30 carlengths back but going faster than the lane you merged out of. Seems like a good chunk of the time when I merge into a faster lane with plenty of room, whoever is now behind me is mad at me for taking up their precious open road, even while I'm accelerating up to the proper speed for the lane.

That's exactly what I did to the moron I was stuck behind. See an opportunity to pass, so I take it, about a football field's worth of space, and extra, in front of them. In morning rush hour traffic. And they drove a Lexus, so their car wasn't exactly a slow piece of poo poo.

Thankfully they didn't get mad and start riding my rear end, but still. If you leave that much space in front of you, expect people to merge in front of you. That's why sometimes I get up close behind people, since some roads attract some cutthroat drivers.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Last weekend I went for a drive on some twisty mountain roads with a fairly steady 50 mph speed limit. I wanted to do around 59 the whole way, as that way I'd have fun in the corners (30-40 mph advisory speed) but not have to worry too much about cops. The guys in front of me wanted to do 70 on the straights, and 30 in the corners. I passed a few people who were doing this, and a couple of them raged out on me and stuck to my bumper until the next set of curves, where they got scared and fell behind. I just don't understand this behavior.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You've just described most motorcyclists.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I only see this like once every month or two, but I don't get how people can drive with small pets in their lap. It can't be comfortable for any extended period of time, not to mention what happens when the animal does something unexpected or, God forbid, the air bag deploys.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Last weekend I went for a drive on some twisty mountain roads with a fairly steady 50 mph speed limit. I wanted to do around 59 the whole way, as that way I'd have fun in the corners (30-40 mph advisory speed) but not have to worry too much about cops. The guys in front of me wanted to do 70 on the straights, and 30 in the corners. I passed a few people who were doing this, and a couple of them raged out on me and stuck to my bumper until the next set of curves, where they got scared and fell behind. I just don't understand this behavior.

It's worse when you are behind them, because then you never get a chance to pass.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Uthor posted:

I only see this like once every month or two, but I don't get how people can drive with small pets in their lap. It can't be comfortable for any extended period of time, not to mention what happens when the animal does something unexpected or, God forbid, the air bag deploys.

I've been that person. My mother's Yorkie refuses to be anywhere but the driver's lap, either looking out the window or just passed out in the lap.
Once he settles down he's pretty out of the way, but just likes to be on whoever is driving.

E: sometimes it gets a little uncomfortable from a warm body in lap perspective, but not much.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I put my hand up to thank a truck for letting me over so I could get off on my exit, he proceeds to follow me onto the highway, sit in the exit lane to the right of me and then cut me off at the last second while giving me the finger. :wtc: I guess I shouldn't acknowledge other drivers.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

The most enjoyable part of my daily drive is the couple of wide downhill curves on the way into the city that I know I can safely take at 60kph and how uncomfortable people get when they're in the passenger seat and see me not braking into the turn.

I don't know why people are so scared to use their cars to full capacity. Any new model vehicle that's reasonably maintained is going to be capable of being driven fast-ish without flipping over or exploding but people insist on taking corners (or even just curves in the road) so slowly and get upset when I drive at the speed limit.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I just used my Miata's tiny horn to keep an oblivious cellphone driver in a GMC Acadia from running over two kids in a crosswalk. She then proceeded to hammer the gas to get away from me, the source of her shame.

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

Extra posted:

But I don't do illegal poo poo and my car doesn't look like a ricebox so YMMV.

I've driven in smoke belching shitboxes that, now I think about it, really should have been taken off the road and crushed. I've been pulled in for RBT's in these cars, and every time the officers have been kind and talkative. I see a lot of fuckwits in riced out racers or Commodores / Falcons with 22's and straight through pipes, and they constantly complain that they are getting pulled over and defected. Maybe if you didn't drive like a shithead with your cut springs and 120db blow off valves, and try and race everyone off the lights, you wouldn't get defected / pulled over :psyduck: I loving hate this mentality that [at least in our state] cops are just out to defect your sweet ride that you spent so much *ahem* time and money on.

My first car was basically rust holding hands, bald tyres and an engine fire just waiting to happen. I got pulled over for breath tests and everytime got let go with a smile. I used to cruise around town a lot having fun, playing my music loud, and generally being a nuisance, but not once was I ever pulled over for having a defective vehicle. It got to the point where I'd get waved on pass checkpoints, because they knew my car, knew I wasn't a trouble causing fuckwit and had no reason to suspect me of doing anything wrong other than having a lovely car. I'm pretty sure more than a few people thought I was an undercover or something from the looks I'd get passing through a long line of people waiting to get tested.

I think I have more empathy than I used to from their point of view after an accident I was involved in. I was 'informally arrested', and the whole time both of the officers I was with looked so depressed that they had to tell me that, since it wasn't my fault, and the situation was pretty horrible to say the least. The whole experience sucked, and the whole time both of them were talking to me and trying to cheer me up by cracking jokes etc. I wanted to join the force once, but after a few hours on the other side, that changed pretty quickly.

And for some content, twice in two days, I've been behind someone in the right lane and they're doing 85 in a 90. 3km later, still haven't moved over and I've got some moron tailgating me, so I indicate, check mirror, check blind spot, just start to move and the tailgater behind me decides he can't wait for me to move and indicates for half a second before moving over just as I do, ending up right behind me as I move across. I'm seriously expecting a rear ender / pit to happen to me very soon.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

H1KE posted:

and try and race everyone off the lights
Speaking of racing, yesterday, I was driving home from the grocery store and got caught at a red light next to a 3rd gen Boxster. The light turned green and he sped off as I just chugged along. He was at least 100 yards ahead of me, and all of a sudden he just slowed the gently caress down 'til I caught up with him, dropped a gear (or two?) and started hauling rear end to the next red light, which was only 200 yards away... :psyduck: Not sure if he wanted to race me or somethin; I just drive an NC Miata...

I should clarify that I couldn't tell if he dropped one gear vs two 'cause the gear shifts were instantaneous, so I'm guessing he had PDK. And the difference in noise sounded too large to be one gear.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

toplitzin posted:

I've been that person. My mother's Yorkie refuses to be anywhere but the driver's lap, either looking out the window or just passed out in the lap.
Once he settles down he's pretty out of the way, but just likes to be on whoever is driving.

E: sometimes it gets a little uncomfortable from a warm body in lap perspective, but not much.

Nope nope nope. I just got a small dog (15lbs) and while she'd prefer to ride on my lap, there is just no way I'm going to let that happen. It's been two weeks and she knows that she sits quietly in the passenger seat or she'll get to ride in a crate. I do not need something on my lap while I'm trying to drive a piece of crap car with no power steering in stupid Dallas traffic.

In some places, it's illegal to have an unsecured pet in your car.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

rear end in a top hat casserole posted:

Nope nope nope.
In some places, it's illegal to have an unsecured pet in your car.
Agreed completely, and those laws should be more prevalent than they are.

If you drive with your dog, or your iPad, or your phone, or your kid in your lap, you're a dipshit.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
A small dog pretty much turns into a torpedo in a collision.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

8ender posted:

A small dog pretty much turns into a torpedo in a collision.
Not only that, but it's psychologically distracting, it is something that is ultimately uncontrollable which could interfere with driving (ie, it sees something on the floorboard, dives under your feet, or sees something out the windscreen and jumps on the wheel, etc), and it's just wholly inconsiderate to other people to do that. He's prioritizing his dog's wishes over the safety of other drivers.

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

The crash test videos the NRMA did recently are loving horrific. That first photo. :gonk:

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/crash-test-doggies-20131203-2yn7j.html

I don't know how people stand it, but I still see people with animals hanging out the window on their laps, but I believe it's been made against the law here. Everytime the cats or dog have to take a vet trip, we used a seatbelt clip that plugs into the anchor and then clips to their harness. Works great and helps stop them freaking out. It's also law that if your dog is in the tray of your ute [pickup], they have to be caged or securely leashed to a rollbar / the tray. I remember the advertisments the RTA would play when the law was first introduced, showing what happens from the dogs point of view when a crash occurs and it was heartbreaking. I don't think I've seen an unsecured dog in a ute since. Hell the road safety advertisements they used to play would always scare the poo poo out of me. Start out with someone driving along, talking on a phone, nice music and then BAM! Oh god did that kid just get run over in slow motion?! I THOUGHT THIS WAS AN AD FOR INSURANCE?! :stonk: Now days we just get a bunch of soft crap thanks to the 'think of the children' crew. The way people have been driving around me lately, maybe it's time they bought them back.

E: There it is - "Current laws in New South Wales state it is illegal for a person to drive with an animal in their lap ($405 fine, three demerit points), while motorcyclists are not allowed to “ride with animal between rider and handle bars” ($397 fine, three demerit points; in a school zone: $496, four demerit points)."

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Krakkles posted:

If you drive with your dog, or your iPad, or your phone, or your kid in your lap, you're a dipshit.

That poo poo is illegal here in Washington, yet you see that poo poo All The loving Time.

There's a ton of room in your Outback for your pet, quit loving around.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

On my way to work this morning I was behind this Maxima. Shortly after going through an intersection, this SUV with one of those basket-dealies that attaches to the hitch and makes the vehicle like 50% longer decides it's pulling out of the parking lot of the bank at the corner of the intersection. The driver just gradually creeped out, less "I didn't see you" and more "gently caress you, I've decided that it's my turn to go, also, gently caress you" right in front of the Maxima in front of me.

The driver of the Maxima did NOT like this and I could see him loving screaming at the driver of the SUV, a Latino who may not have spoken English because he just stared with a dumb look on his face. Well I guess this non-reaction put the Maxima driver over the edge, because as soon as the SUV got past him, he flipped a bitch and started going after him.

Wonder how that all played out in the end..

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Krakkles posted:

I agree with this, but unfortunately I have driven with my dog on my lap one time. She isn't a little dog, either. Moving from San Antonio, TX to Portland, OR, we rented a large moving truck that didn't have bench seating. The dog slept between the bucket seats for most of the trip but did join me once in order to get her head closer to the window and the amazing smells that miles of cattle ranches provide.

This is my 45 pound dog lying in my lap (with her hind legs touching the floor).

It was very uncomfortable and I put an end to it rather quickly.

Crab Ran
Mar 6, 2006

Don't try me.

H1KE posted:

The crash test videos the NRMA did recently are loving horrific. That first photo. :gonk:

http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/crash-test-doggies-20131203-2yn7j.html

I don't know how people stand it, but I still see people with animals hanging out the window on their laps, but I believe it's been made against the law here. Everytime the cats or dog have to take a vet trip, we used a seatbelt clip that plugs into the anchor and then clips to their harness. Works great and helps stop them freaking out. It's also law that if your dog is in the tray of your ute [pickup], they have to be caged or securely leashed to a rollbar / the tray. I remember the advertisments the RTA would play when the law was first introduced, showing what happens from the dogs point of view when a crash occurs and it was heartbreaking. I don't think I've seen an unsecured dog in a ute since. Hell the road safety advertisements they used to play would always scare the poo poo out of me. Start out with someone driving along, talking on a phone, nice music and then BAM! Oh god did that kid just get run over in slow motion?! I THOUGHT THIS WAS AN AD FOR INSURANCE?! :stonk: Now days we just get a bunch of soft crap thanks to the 'think of the children' crew. The way people have been driving around me lately, maybe it's time they bought them back.

E: There it is - "Current laws in New South Wales state it is illegal for a person to drive with an animal in their lap ($405 fine, three demerit points), while motorcyclists are not allowed to “ride with animal between rider and handle bars” ($397 fine, three demerit points; in a school zone: $496, four demerit points)."

I've seen what a dog looks like after exiting a pickup bed while the truck was moving. It's not pretty. I don't want to have to help patch up another one of those, but being in Texas, I'm sure I will.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
:( this serves as a good reminder that i need to secure my pup in our jetta sportwagen.

I don't want to install one of those metal guards that go between the rear seats and the cargo area, any suggestions?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I think there are harnesses that attach to the child seat mount points or something like that to keep the dog secured but I've not looked into it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

These are the cops border patrol agents you share a road with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldLDrBOjzEg

Article here: http://dealspin.com/car-accident-live-timetec-roadhawk-dashcam-unreal-video/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The grille flying up into the air is awesome.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Border Patrol lying about the accident on police report, nice. Time to visit the dashcam thread and start shopping.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Solkanar512 posted:

That poo poo is illegal here in Washington, yet you see that poo poo All The loving Time.

There's a ton of room in your Outback for your pet, quit loving around.

and thats even in the outback we used to have! It was green and I live in seattle, have fun figuring out which green outback is yours in the REI parking lot! That was the worst idea ever.

BraveUlysses posted:

:( this serves as a good reminder that i need to secure my pup in our jetta sportwagen.

I don't want to install one of those metal guards that go between the rear seats and the cargo area, any suggestions?

For actually protecting your dog in the event of a crash, I have heard these are the best.

For just keeping them in one spot, I have one of these harnesses that you can see in the picture above. I really like my jetta sportwagen because my dog is light enough that she does not trigger the passenger air bag sensor, so I feel better about having her ride shotgun.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Cage posted:

Border Patrol lying about the accident on police report, nice.

And absolutely everyone was completely surprised.

wait

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Negromancer posted:

and thats even in the outback we used to have! It was green and I live in seattle, have fun figuring out which green outback is yours in the REI parking lot! That was the worst idea ever.
I'm sure you already know this, but: Press button on Fob, look for flashing lights.

quote:

I really like my jetta sportwagen because my dog is light enough that she does not trigger the passenger air bag sensor, so I feel better about having her ride shotgun.

I kept noticing my Jetta would occasionally detect a passenger when I would put my gym bag on the seat. I thought it was weird, as it's not heavy. I eventually found out that it was my cell phone that was causing it when one day I set it on the passenger seat with the charging cable plugged in to it.

Nice Dog. :3:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

oh my god :3:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

BraveUlysses posted:

http://www.travall.us/ is the only one that makes a barrier for my Mazda 3 but it works great.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

That guy continued past stopping traffic to hit a law enforcement vehicle rolling with lights on. I don't think that dashcam video is going to help him as much as he's hoping.

(Yes, it looks like the BP agents "lied" (or, more likely, "erroneously stated") that the light was red, but they DID have the turret lights on, and he did have an obligation to stop for them. They shouldn't have pulled out in front before he did, but it's not as clearly "LOL POLICE SCUM" as the commenters / people here are making it out to be.)

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I agree. The van is also in the intersection first, so they're in control of it regardless of the light.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Seemed to me from the video that he couldn't see the van and its lights because of the traffic in the other lanes.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

8ender posted:

Seemed to me from the video that he couldn't see the van and its lights because of the traffic in the other lanes.
... because he maintained his speed past stopped/stopping traffic. That's like teenager level amateur mistake.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Krakkles posted:

... because he maintained his speed past stopped/stopping traffic. That's like teenager level amateur mistake.

I'll give you that but so is the van driver crossing the third lane full tilt just because two other lanes stopped to let him by.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
His view was blocked the whole time and by the time you realize the left two lanes are stopping in the video it's too late. Maybe when you can watch it back over and over, but for him, he had little time to react. Even if he was paying attention and started slowing earlier I think he still would have hit the van.

Meanwhile that was piss poor intersection crossing by the van. Anyone who's seen an ambulance crawl thru an intersection despite all traffic being stopped has seen the caution that should be used.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

8ender posted:

I'll give you that but so is the van driver crossing the third lane full tilt just because two other lanes stopped to let him by.
Which is what I said originally, and still think.

nsaP posted:

His view was blocked the whole time and by the time you realize the left two lanes are stopping in the video it's too late. Maybe when you can watch it back over and over, but for him, he had little time to react. Even if he was paying attention and started slowing earlier I think he still would have hit the van.

Meanwhile that was piss poor intersection crossing by the van. Anyone who's seen an ambulance crawl thru an intersection despite all traffic being stopped has seen the caution that should be used.
i agree with your second paragraph, but your first misses an extremely important, key driving element: If you can't see, you slow the hell down. It is never ok to willfully ignore the world around you, then throw up your hands and pretend there's nothing that could have been done/it was all the other guy's fault.

Unfortunately, that never stops anybody.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe it just means I'm getting old, but when I see cars around me slowing down at the absolute minimum I lift off the gas pedal and start looking around for what's going on. I'll probably start braking too just because if they're in front of me, there's probably something they can see that I can't.

I know I didn't use to do that, once I was locked in at the speed limit I kept at it until something obstructed me. Preservation instincts take a while to mature, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Yeah, the cars slowing would have made me slow too, but the van had no actual siren, the lights were dim as gently caress, the light was green, and the left turn it was making would be illegal. I guess there's just slightly too much police dickwaving and way too much driver absentmindedness.