Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Nidhg00670000 posted:

About ten years ago my friend had an old lovely Opel that we'd fixed some rust on. For some reason he wanted some paint on the patches instead of just primer. Anyhow, he knew someone who knew someone who recommended this really old dude (with a genuine Karl Marx-beard, therefor everyone called him "The Beard") that had an old paint shop and had been in business for like 40 years, so he'd started to turn away customers he didn't know or who didn't get "recommended" to him from someone he knew so he could have more spare time and not have to deal with random idiots.

So we went there with the Opel, The Beard looked it over and gave us a price. My friend accepted, they shook on it and then we left the Opel there without going into the shop. A week later came pickup time. As we opened the door to the shop, the air was FILLED with the stench of solvent. It was completely overwhelming to the point where we couldn't even go in without choking. As we stood there with the door open, thinking something must be wrong, The Beard called out for us from inside the shop, before stepping outside with the biggest grin I've ever seen on a man.

[...]

How is there a single functional brain cell in heads like those?

Paint guys die very very early from largely preventable things. In their declining years they usually also start to rack up a long chain of angry/unsatisfied customers as the brain damage causes them to become progressively more erratic. I've seen a lot of "guy in a shed who paints your car for pretty cheap" deals turn into "guy in a shed is actually the Unabomber and refuses to paint my car any time in the next two decades even though I just paid him" that way.

Be glad you caught this guy at the tipping point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Paint guys die very very early from largely preventable things. In their declining years they usually also start to rack up a long chain of angry/unsatisfied customers as the brain damage causes them to become progressively more erratic. I've seen a lot of "guy in a shed who paints your car for pretty cheap" deals turn into "guy in a shed is actually the Unabomber and refuses to paint my car any time in the next two decades even though I just paid him" that way.

Be glad you caught this guy at the tipping point.

This. You never see any retired painters.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Javid posted:

My shop teacher in high school in 2000 told us all about taking a wheel explosion to the face and neck in 1993 and how he was still occasionally having chunks of it work their way to the surface.
:stare:
About once a year I have stitches from an operation done 28 years ago surface. Also occasionally get dissolvable stitches from 16 years ago that work their way out.

I've been lucky with cutting discs. The one I've had explode went through the back of a thin metal cabinet and is still stuck in the drywall.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Preoptopus posted:

I had a friend who used to paint cars and ended up leaving the business because the Sikkens they used was working it's way through his safety equipment and causing allergic reactions.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

iForge posted:

I was sent that pic with the wheel stuck in the guys face back in October, and the story went that he is a Union boilermaker working in a refinery and couldn't fit the grinder in where he needed to cut off a flange stud so he took the guard off.

The best option would have been to get a torch but at least at my local refinery, it takes an act of congress to be able to use a torch on anything still attached to process equipment. Back in October I spent a couple days hacksawing 1 1/2" studs about 3/4 through then using a chisel to break them because the line contained residual oil and h2s and they wouldn't issue a hot work for a grinder or torch.

I'm surprised you were even allowed to use a hacksaw without a hot work permit. I've done groundwater sampling at terminals and we had to use metal buckets with grounding straps (no plastic because of static, I guess), a special snowflake of a peristaltic pump that was intrinsically safe, and we had to cajole and beg to use an interface probe to gauge depth to groundwater in wells and a water quality probe to monitor temp, pH, ORP, conductivity, DO, and turbidity. I totally understand the reasoning behind the rules, but it doesn't mean they don't make my job a hell of a lot more difficult.

We did have to get a hot work permit to drill wells out in the tank field :v:. I can assure you that the pucker factor of using a drill rig to put an 8" diameter, 90' deep hole in the ground about 4' away from a 2,000,000 gallon tank of gasoline is quite high.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Preoptopus posted:

Sadly my uncle is one of these fellows and I can only assume the years of drug abuse throughout his teens/early 30's will further shorten his life expectancy. I know several other painters and they are all as described. Never quite right in the head after all the years of exposure. It's a shame. When I paint my FD, I'm buying a supplied air respirator/hood and installing a fume vent above my paint mixing area.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 10, 2014

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

the spyder posted:

Sadly my uncle is one of these fellows and I can only assume the years of drug abuse throughout his teens/early 30's will not help his life expectancy. I know several other painters and they are all as described. Never quite right in the head after all the years of exposure. It's a shame. When I paint my FD, I'm buying a supplied air respirator/hood and installing a fume vent above my paint mixing area.

Ehhh, I don't know if supplied air is necessary for paint work. A full-face with a few extra organic vapor/particulate filter cartridges on hand should provide an appropriate level of protection, as the VOCs from the paint are the main concern. Definitely get some Tyvek suits too.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I would hope paint is starting to become less lethal, too. The water-based stuff, while reportedly shittier, must be safer to be around for eight+ hours a day.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
You would think that (I'm not certain either way) but just because it's waterborne means almost nothing. For instance, lead nitrate is soluble in water, but olive oil isn't. One of these things is very, very bad for you.

It cuts down on the nasty solvents, sure, but it may or may not require the chemicals in the actual paint to be even more exotic molecularly to deal with it. No telling what kind of hormones they are analogues of or what they'll do to your system.

(disclaimer: I am not a chemist. I just know enough about chemistry to get myself in trouble.)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

(Apologies for the EPIC FAIL OMG LULZ text at the end)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The rest of the video, if that wasn't appalachian-american enough for you:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z68qlNO66zA

Even the video title is pretty retarded, much like the people in it.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

bandman posted:

I'm surprised you were even allowed to use a hacksaw without a hot work permit. I've done groundwater sampling at terminals and we had to use metal buckets with grounding straps (no plastic because of static, I guess), a special snowflake of a peristaltic pump that was intrinsically safe, and we had to cajole and beg to use an interface probe to gauge depth to groundwater in wells and a water quality probe to monitor temp, pH, ORP, conductivity, DO, and turbidity. I totally understand the reasoning behind the rules, but it doesn't mean they don't make my job a hell of a lot more difficult.

We did have to get a hot work permit to drill wells out in the tank field :v:. I can assure you that the pucker factor of using a drill rig to put an 8" diameter, 90' deep hole in the ground about 4' away from a 2,000,000 gallon tank of gasoline is quite high.

I'm in the same line of work, though I haven't had that level of craziness when sampling/drilling at a refinery.

The amount of stuff that can go wrong at a refinery or even a pretty simple terminal is drat terrifying though. In terms of mechanical failures it can be a shitshow. When a mechanical failure means potentially spilling several million gallons of something which can then burst into flames, the level of scrutiny that any work performed makes a lot of sense.

My wife hates it when I have to go do some work at a refinery since I've explained some if this stuff to her before. She's in a great mood right now since I'm actually going out to one for all of next week.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Jonny Nox posted:

I had a friend who used to paint cars and ended up leaving the business because the Sikkens they used was working it's way through his safety equipment and causing allergic reactions.

well what do they expect with a name like that

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

kastein posted:

Cutting/grinding wheels that blow apart at high speeds are terrifying. There's a lot of kinetic energy in that little disc...

Warning: graphic images of people damaged by cutoff wheels http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228108&showall=1

Wear your gloves. Use the side-handle on the angle grinder. Use the drat scatter shield/guard on the grinder, and rotate it so it shields you, not the side of your workbench and one of your legs.

Wear a face shield. Wear eye protection. Wear ear protection (what?)

And keep yourself out of what I call "the plane of death"... typically if the wheel explodes it'll fly somewhere in the plane it's rotating in. As long as you have the grinder under control and aren't in that plane, you should be MOSTLY safe.

Do as I say, not as I've done. I spent $1300 at the ER on xrays and stitches because I almost cut my left index finger off when a cutoff wheel bound up in a bolt I was cutting under tension. It was one of those "it's just two bolts I have to cut, no idea where my safety gear is, gently caress it" type things. Oh, between my insurance company and I, over $5k was spent getting metal and rust out of my cornea a few years back before that... apparently I don't learn as much as I should.

I wear my gloves+earplugs and use the side handle and guard religiously now, but I'm still kinda dumb about eye protection and face shields occasionally.

Even the little ones will gently caress you up. I was cutting some rusted in place 1/4" bolts off the bottom of a truck floor to remove some shelving, and I slapped a 3" cutoff disc on my die grinder and went to town. Safety glasses, but no face shield. On the second last bolt the thing exploded completely without warning and caught me in the forehead. The piece that hit me was probably only like an inch long, but my first thought was that something heavy and metal had fallen on me. Then the blood started running down my glasses, and I realised I had no disc left on my grinder and I decided I better go to the hospital for 6 stitches. I have always been careful about keeping the guard and handle on my angle grinder but I guess I didn't see a little one-hand die grinder as being very dangerous.

On the upside, it prompted management to buy us all our own personal face shields, plus two proper cutoff tools with the metal guards for the shop.

Do you not have worker's compensation organisations in the US? In BC we have WorksafeBC, and not only did they pay for the ambulance and ER visit, but they also covered my wages for the day and a half of work I missed because of it.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

EKDS5k posted:

Do you not have worker's compensation organisations in the US? In BC we have WorksafeBC, and not only did they pay for the ambulance and ER visit, but they also covered my wages for the day and a half of work I missed because of it.

Does making a claim to Worksafe have any repercussion on future employment? I think here in Ontario having a claim with workers compensation can be seen a a black mark on your employment history, although I'm not sure.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

mustard_tiger posted:

Does making a claim to Worksafe have any repercussion on future employment? I think here in Ontario having a claim with workers compensation can be seen a a black mark on your employment history, although I'm not sure.

This is the second company I've worked for as a mechanic (apprentice) and neither one ever asked about it. I've made another claim a few years ago, when I was working in security (a glass door shattered and fell on my hand) and that hasn't come back to haunt me. I don't know why it would be a black mark, really. What mechanic hasn't cut themselves badly enough to need stitches at some point?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

mustard_tiger posted:

In much of the US, filing a claim with workman's comp (which is private insurance paid by the employer in a lot of states) also means an automatic drug test. Usually via urine if you're conscious, which can tattle on you for up to 1-2 months after you smoked a joint at a party (depending on your body makeup and metabolism). If you're not conscious, it'll be by blood (which will only tattle for a few days for most stuff).

Some states even give employers the option of not carrying workman's comp - my state is one of them. :sigh:

I've only worked for one company that specifically stated they would never, ever drug test you, even if you knocked a wall down with a fork lift (one example given during orientation/new hire training was "no, we won't test you, even if you drive a forklift off of the dock"). Everywhere else was an automatic piss test for everyone involved if there was any kind of accident and/or injury.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 11, 2014

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

When I was about 17 and dumb I was grinding something in the garage real quick and didn't have safety glasses on. A fleck hit my eye but luckily my contact lens protected me as it just got imbedded in that.

Being more dumb, I didn't tell my parents because I knew contacts were expensive (this was before disposable ones). I just left it as it didn't seem to bother anything. I didn't get new contacts for a number of months.

Now I'm super paranoid about getting anything in my eyes and have boxes of safety glasses all over my place.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I was once watching my boss drill out an exhaust stud and a tiny flake of metal flew into my eye and lodged itself in my cornea. I didn't know this at the time, rubbed my eye and shrugged it off. After a couple of days my eye was perpetually sore and irritated and sore, and I couldn't go out without sunglasses.

When I went to the doctor he put an anasthetic swab in my eye. When it went numb, he had me rest my chin on a device that was sort of like reverse binoculars to look at my eye. He then got a sterile needle and told me not to move my head. I could see the needle approaching my pupil and constantly kept pulling back by reflex; in the end he grabbed the back of my head with his other hand to stop me pulling away. When he started to try to manipulate the splinter out I could see my vision distort from the pressure on my cornea and my eye started to cry by reflex, but I couldn't feel anything. He said the splinter had broken in half and the two halves had begun to rust. Then it was an eyepatch for two days.

Wear eye protection.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

About ten years ago my friend had an old lovely Opel that we'd fixed some rust on. For some reason he wanted some paint on the patches instead of just primer. Anyhow, he knew someone who knew someone who recommended this really old dude (with a genuine Karl Marx-beard, therefor everyone called him "The Beard") that had an old paint shop and had been in business for like 40 years, so he'd started to turn away customers he didn't know or who didn't get "recommended" to him from someone he knew so he could have more spare time and not have to deal with random idiots.

So we went there with the Opel, The Beard looked it over and gave us a price. My friend accepted, they shook on it and then we left the Opel there without going into the shop. A week later came pickup time. As we opened the door to the shop, the air was FILLED with the stench of solvent. It was completely overwhelming to the point where we couldn't even go in without choking. As we stood there with the door open, thinking something must be wrong, The Beard called out for us from inside the shop, before stepping outside with the biggest grin I've ever seen on a man.

We conversed for a while, looked the car over (that was parked out back) and paid him. As we where leaving, I couldn't help to comment on the stench. His only comment was "yeah, those water based colours are poo poo, I won't touch 'em". His employee (barely younger than The Beard) stood in the doorway smoking a cigarette the whole time we where there, before they both went into the shop again and closed the door.

How is there a single functional brain cell in heads like those?

I worked for Sherwin-Williams for a couple years back just out of high school, and used to deliver to some of these guys. Holy poo poo is all I have to say. Between them and crazy-rear end painters spraying varnish while smoking, I was amazed I didn't get blown up on deliveries.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

In much of the US, filing a claim with workman's comp (which is private insurance paid by the employer in a lot of states) also means an automatic drug test. Usually via urine if you're conscious, which can tattle on you for up to 1-2 months after you smoked a joint at a party (depending on your body makeup and metabolism). If you're not conscious, it'll be by blood (which will only tattle for a few days for most stuff).

Some states even give employers the option of not carrying workman's comp - my state is one of them. :sigh:

I've only worked for one company that specifically stated they would never, ever drug test you, even if you knocked a wall down with a fork lift (one example given during orientation/new hire training was "no, we won't test you, even if you drive a forklift off of the dock"). Everywhere else was an automatic piss test for everyone involved if there was any kind of accident and/or injury.

The piss test thing is a requirement of the companies doing workman's comp insurance. They also do other things like print out posters with $1000 rewards for workman's comp fraud to encourage snitching. Anything to reduce the amount of premiums they actually have to pay out.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I love it when the parts tell the story.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I'd watch the poo poo out of CSI: Roadkill.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Is the mechanical fan driven off the water pump? It's beautiful in its own way.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Cakefool posted:

Is the mechanical fan driven off the water pump? It's beautiful in its own way.

It's pretty typical for American vehicles that had belt-driven fans to have them on the same pulley as the water pump. My 2000 Jeep has that exact setup(the fan looks eerily similar in design); it's great to know that if that one belt that is exposed to crazy summer heat and dust fails, the engine will overheat spectacularly because it loses the water pump and fan at once.

Yeah, I check that thing every oil change and I'll probably slap on a new belt on the next oil change just so I don't have to worry.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
What really fucks painters and body workers up is cyanoacrylate. That stuff is in bondo and basically everything else involved in the process. You breathe that in and it starts to pretty much glue and crystallize alveoli together.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

EightBit posted:

It's pretty typical for American vehicles that had belt-driven fans to have them on the same pulley as the water pump. My 2000 Jeep has that exact setup(the fan looks eerily similar in design); it's great to know that if that one belt that is exposed to crazy summer heat and dust fails, the engine will overheat spectacularly because it loses the water pump and fan at once.

Yeah, I check that thing every oil change and I'll probably slap on a new belt on the next oil change just so I don't have to worry.

It's a really common design on older RWD vehicles in general, and on trucks/vans still. Every hilux and landcruiser I've seen has had a mechanically driven fan on the front of the water pump, as did BMW's until they went to a fully electric design.

In the early nineties lexus had a setup where the radiator fan was driven by a small belt linked to a hydraulic motive unit. Power steering lines ran to the unit and the hydraulic pressure spun an impeller linked to the pulley which turned the belt and spun the fan. Some cars had the impeller as part of the fan housing directly driving the fan.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

DiggityDoink posted:

What really fucks painters and body workers up is cyanoacrylate. That stuff is in bondo and basically everything else involved in the process. You breathe that in and it starts to pretty much glue and crystallize alveoli together.

Which is interesting because it is used in emergency medicine as liquid sutures.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
My WJ Grand Cherokee also had a fan powered by the power steering hydraulics, which is indeed all kinds of :psyduck:.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVmJ-bW7IpM

Browsing youtube I saw the preview and knew that magnificence awaited :allears:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Beach Bum posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVmJ-bW7IpM

Browsing youtube I saw the preview and knew that magnificence awaited :allears:

well, how much power did it make?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

A Melted Tarp posted:

Which is interesting because it is used in emergency medicine as liquid sutures.

If you think of the inside of your lungs as one really really big cut that doesn't bleed but allows gas exchange, then imagine misting that cut with superglue, you can get a feel for what's actually happening.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Slavvy posted:

In the early nineties lexus had a setup where the radiator fan was driven by a small belt linked to a hydraulic motive unit. Power steering lines ran to the unit and the hydraulic pressure spun an impeller linked to the pulley which turned the belt and spun the fan. Some cars had the impeller as part of the fan housing directly driving the fan.

:psyduck: That sounds like an Audi-grade idea.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

A Melted Tarp posted:

Do they just leave it like that, or do they at least put a coat of primer over it?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

Do they just leave it like that, or do they at least put a coat of primer over it?

First a wet sand.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

EKDS5k posted:

Even the little ones will gently caress you up. I was cutting some rusted in place 1/4" bolts off the bottom of a truck floor to remove some shelving, and I slapped a 3" cutoff disc on my die grinder and went to town. Safety glasses, but no face shield. On the second last bolt the thing exploded completely without warning and caught me in the forehead. The piece that hit me was probably only like an inch long, but my first thought was that something heavy and metal had fallen on me. Then the blood started running down my glasses, and I realised I had no disc left on my grinder and I decided I better go to the hospital for 6 stitches. I have always been careful about keeping the guard and handle on my angle grinder but I guess I didn't see a little one-hand die grinder as being very dangerous.

On the upside, it prompted management to buy us all our own personal face shields, plus two proper cutoff tools with the metal guards for the shop.

I don't work as a mechanic, I sit at a desk and design PCBs/write firmware all day. I do this poo poo for fun (there's something wrong with me...) and therefore workmans comp doesn't really help much.

Slavvy posted:

I was once watching my boss drill out an exhaust stud and a tiny flake of metal flew into my eye and lodged itself in my cornea. I didn't know this at the time, rubbed my eye and shrugged it off. After a couple of days my eye was perpetually sore and irritated and sore, and I couldn't go out without sunglasses.

When I went to the doctor he put an anasthetic swab in my eye. When it went numb, he had me rest my chin on a device that was sort of like reverse binoculars to look at my eye. He then got a sterile needle and told me not to move my head. I could see the needle approaching my pupil and constantly kept pulling back by reflex; in the end he grabbed the back of my head with his other hand to stop me pulling away. When he started to try to manipulate the splinter out I could see my vision distort from the pressure on my cornea and my eye started to cry by reflex, but I couldn't feel anything. He said the splinter had broken in half and the two halves had begun to rust. Then it was an eyepatch for two days.

Wear eye protection.

No joke this is exactly what happened to me, except I was (barely) able to keep from pulling back, and only needed steroid eye ointment (guess what loving sucks to put on your eye twice a day?) instead of an eyepatch.

Wear your goddamn eye protection, guys. It's been 5 years and optometrists still comment on the fact that they can still see a slight mark in my cornea from that little incident. My vision is fine (20/15 corrected) but that eye gets dry and uncomfortable sooner if I'm dehydrated or out in the wind.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I can see the little crater when I look in the mirror. And yeah that eye gets irritated a lot more easily than the other one.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

Previa_fun posted:

:psyduck: That sounds like an Audi-grade idea.

It was actually pretty awesome. Precise variable fan speeds, quiet, and I have never seen one fail from any camry/es300 from that era.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Boy, I sure love making expensive mistakes. :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Slim Pickens posted:

Boy, I sure love making expensive mistakes. :smithicide:

Did you drop it on the floor or something?