Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

computer parts posted:

At worst, it means that scientific literacy is not changing. Which disproves the original point anyway.
Everyone at Fox News has a college degree and so do the people who run the Creation Museum so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
It should also be noted that Tyson seems far more "spiritual" than most scientists of his calibur. His description of his awakening to the world of physics, seeing the stars for the first time in their entirety, is as religious as it comes. He literally has said on multiple occassions that he felt the universe was calling him to study it. That's a fairly spiritual statement, in my humble opinion. I think it lends a lot of character to him.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

BottledBodhisvata posted:

It should also be noted that Tyson seems far more "spiritual" than most scientists of his calibur. His description of his awakening to the world of physics, seeing the stars for the first time in their entirety, is as religious as it comes. He literally has said on multiple occassions that he felt the universe was calling him to study it. That's a fairly spiritual statement, in my humble opinion. I think it lends a lot of character to him.

This is almost entirely what Sagan did, and Tyson was his student.

"The cosmos calls to us" and all that. Yeah he's doing a good job now, good show.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.
Yeah, I'm loving his usage of spiritual words like prophesy and revelation to define the wonder of scientific prediction and discovery. It seems to be really geared towards the religious(and in a way to the stubbornly anti-religious) in a very positive way rather than derisive, showing that faith can either inspire or it can enforce ignorance and fear. Plus the episode talking of things in terms of ghosts, the show is just so incredibly human.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Yaos posted:

For those of you wanting to learn more about the universe Netflix has The Inexplicable Universe up. It's setup like a lecture but there's pretty pictures.
http://dvd.netflix.com/Movie/The_Inexplicable_Universe_with_Neil_deGrasse_Tyson/70305069?fcld=true

I've watched the first three and liked them even though I've seen NDT talk about some of the concepts prior. The explanation of protons, neutrons, electrons, quarks, neutrinos and when they were discovered/theorized was more straightforward and concise than I've heard before.

The other funny part is where he goes over how ET intelligence may regard homo sapiens as complete idiots unworthy of any time and that Earth may just be a terrarium for the amusement of superior intelligence.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.
It might not even be entirely a matter of intelligence, there's millions of species on the planet and we're able to barely understand the communication or replicate it to most of them. We could be getting shouted at by alien species right now and not even know it because it's like screaming at your fish to do your math homework from another room.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Well that's sort of the aliens problem then, because they really should know that we can't listen to them.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Just fyi The Inexplicable Universe with Neil deGrasse Tyson is on Netflix if you need more Tyson.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Now I'm pondering "Why is a solid so solid" all over again.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Kammat posted:

magnets

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I call my two fists Science and Imagination.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Protists! :buddy:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The smallest goon!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
waterbears yay

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Waterbears!

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Kammat posted:

well nothing is really "solid" due to atomic/molecular bonds; even a rock is mostly just empty space :)

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Planet of the Tardigrades. Coming Summer 2015!

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

The Planet of the Tardigrades sounds like a Dr Who serial.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Water bears own

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Kammat posted:

Planet of the Tardigrades. Coming Summer 2015!

Next SyFy Original, right there

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I'm getting Magic School Bus flashbacks now

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Photosynthesis is some liberal conspiracy

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

euphronius posted:

Photosynthesis is some liberal conspiracy
Air is a byproduct of corporate industrialism; government regulations are what is hurting our air quality!

Whoa now Neil, corporate espionage is a super serious crime.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I'd always suspected the insides of plants were full of gears

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
That animation was more confusing than helpful.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Hmm, flowers show up then cold blooded dinosaurs go extinct?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

William T. Hornaday posted:

That animation was more confusing than helpful.

Yea agreed. All I got was plants are like Apple sweat shops

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

That's a rather suggestive orchid.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Madagascar is a pretty bitchin place.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

So when I smell poop . . . . ..?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Lilacs are bitch flowers Neil.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Show us your stank breath at a molecular level

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

The bond angles of those water molecules are all wrong what the gently caress Neil

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Atomic reincarnation? Enough of your blasphemy, Neil.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

What's this democracy stuff Neil? I'm not buying into your propaganda

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Athenian society/democracy was pretty lovely Neil

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

achillesforever6 posted:

Athenian society/democracy was pretty lovely Neil

Also, not quite like Democracy as we understand it now. The Roman Republic had a bigger impact on what is our current political system.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Okay now they're just pandering to the kids watching this show stoned

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Hazo posted:

Okay now they're just pandering to the kids watching this show stoned

Finally :420:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Dammit. This episode is starting to tempt me about trying for a physics degree again.

• Locked thread