Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

The thing about manipulation is that literally every film does (or at least attempts) it. It's when a movie does it poorly that's the problem.

Well, yeah, that's what I was trying to say. All movies are manipulative but most of the time you don't really notice it, at least while your watching it, because the movie the movie is in fact effectively manipulating you. If you're watching a movie and can see it manipulating you, then that can be a problem, especially if it's not actually working.

Thinking about it, this creates this odd thing where the movies people tend to describe as "emotionally manipulative" are actually the ones that fail at manipulating their emotions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
One thing I will never retract the use of "manipulative" for is soundtracks, because so many movies use dumb, obvious swells to heighten stuff best left up to the viewer. A laugh track is manipulative in an incredibly weird way, not only does it tell you you're supposed to be laughing, but it makes you laugh at stuff that isn't necessarily funny. It's weird, nervous laughter that laughs for you so you don't have to do anything at all.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

axleblaze posted:

Well, yeah, that's what I was trying to say. All movies are manipulative but most of the time you don't really notice it, at least while your watching it, because the movie the movie is in fact effectively manipulating you. If you're watching a movie and can see it manipulating you, then that can be a problem, especially if it's not actually working.

Thinking about it, this creates this odd thing where the movies people tend to describe as "emotionally manipulative" are actually the ones that fail at manipulating their emotions.

Yeah, this is exactly what I've been saying. It's a poor phrase to use because it doesn't actually address the issue with the film, and is in fact, inaccurate.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

One thing I will never retract the use of "manipulative" for is soundtracks, because so many movies use dumb, obvious swells to heighten stuff best left up to the viewer. A laugh track is manipulative in an incredibly weird way, not only does it tell you you're supposed to be laughing, but it makes you laugh at stuff that isn't necessarily funny. It's weird, nervous laughter that laughs for you so you don't have to do anything at all.

I suppose it's a fair point about laugh tracks, but it still goes back to arguing when its done poorly. What is the ambient soundtrack in Eraserhead doing? It's telling you to feel frightened. The opening score to Star Wars is telling you to feel excited. And I don't think either of those films would be anywhere near as effective without their soundtracks. Again, it comes down to shoddy uses of obvious swells clearly attempting to guide the viewer. It's a failure to manipulate. It drew too much attention to itself.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 14, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

penismightier posted:

I think the trouble with both of these is that while they're both valid problems to have with a movie, everyone (myself included) has a tendency for some reason to stop with those phrases and not go into the why/how of them.

It's the same thing with "manipulative" really. Manipulative can be a positive or a negative, but it's a valid word when used right and with proper context, I don't think shunning the word from all criticism is a valid solution.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
On a different topic: Japan!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

axleblaze posted:

As the local ambassador to anime, goddammit.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

axleblaze posted:

My favorite is Grand Pa, the 12-year-old boygirl.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It's the same thing with "manipulative" really. Manipulative can be a positive or a negative, but it's a valid word when used right and with proper context, I don't think shunning the word from all criticism is a valid solution.

It's just that it's often used dismissively and goes unjustified. Hundu makes a good point about laugh tracks being a clear way of making somebody laugh without something being funny.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TrixRabbi posted:

I suppose it's a fair point about laugh tracks, but it still goes back to arguing when its done poorly. What is the ambient soundtrack in Eraserhead doing? It's telling you to feel frightened.

Right, but part of what makes Eraserhead's soundtrack so good is that what it is doing is ambiguous - there are certainly frightening moments and it's a film soaked in dread, but the the soundtrack is not necessarily demanding that you be frightened. It's an uneasy soundscape for a deeply uneasy film. That's the difference to me, it's not cheap and cloying, but the Star Wars example is also good because it definitely is compelling a sense of adventure. The villain has a theme, the romantic moments have swells and so on, but it's not a substitute for the action.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Laugh tracks were used excellently in Natural Born Killers.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

TrixRabbi posted:

It's just that it's often used dismissively and goes unjustified.
But this is true of pretty much any term, positive or negative. "exciting," "funny," "frustrating," "hard to follow," "blunt," etc. They're all hollow and subjective words that convey little about the film without explanation. What you're really arguing is lack of depth in criticism. Which is a valid complaint, but by framing the complaint as being about specific terms it feels like you're dismissing perspectives rather than trying to broaden the conversation.

I probably use manipulative a good amount in reviews, usually in relation to scores because I get easily annoyed by overbearing scores. I have something in mind when I write that. Sometimes I may or may not explain the precise details of why it doesn't work for me, but my inability to explain it doesn't invalidate or diminish my criticism. It might diminish the worth of my review to other people, but that would be true regardless of any particular terms I used.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

On the Beach would be one of the great films if it wasn't for such an overbearing score.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

penismightier posted:

On the Beach would be one of the great films if it wasn't for such an overbearing score.

What's worse is that it already has those great, melancholic sea sounds.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What's worse is that it already has those great, melancholic sea sounds.

It's one of the many late '50s movies that would've been improved if it had followed the musical example of Colossus of New York:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig1HieY8qEs

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Colossus of New York is so good. So good!

You know, I often wonder if that was a choice out of necessity, so many lazier and more forgettable B-films (and famously, Night of the Living Dead) use instantly recognizable library music because they couldn't afford to be scored like the studio pictures. It's so much more interesting to just deal with the diegetic sound and get this kinda weird atonal piping here and there.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Colossus of New York is so good. So good!

You know, I often wonder if that was a choice out of necessity, so many lazier and more forgettable B-films (and famously, Night of the Living Dead) use instantly recognizable library music because they couldn't afford to be scored like the studio pictures. It's so much more interesting to just deal with the diegetic sound and get this kinda weird atonal piping here and there.

The rumor was always that it was because of a musician's strike, but the producer denies that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's such an atmospheric movie.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

It was directed by an art director which is why it nails the atmosphere so well and also why it completely bungles the characters. Such a rare thing in that time, design-led sci fi. It's really one of a kind.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I keep getting Mads Mikkelsen and Michael Madsen mixed up when reading about things they've been in that I haven't seen.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The only empty critical language that bugs me is when someone drops "all art is political" all on its lonesome as if it's a statement with any intrinsic value.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The only empty critical language that bugs me is when someone drops "all art is political" all on its lonesome as if it's a statement with any intrinsic value.

"Style over substance" with nothing else to back it up is up there too.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Literally The Worst posted:

"Style over substance" with nothing else to back it up is up there too.

Eeehhhh.... I mean, with nothing else to back it up, then sure I guess. But at least that's one of those things like "pretentious" where it actually has a real meaning even if 90% of the people that use it are doing it wrong.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I think it's bullshit because being visually stimulating is a fine enough goal for a movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

penismightier posted:

I think it's bullshit because being visually stimulating is a fine enough goal for a movie.

I mean it is and it isn't, as they say. Like, "stimulating" is pretty broad. If a movie is just rapid fire stimulus, then yeah, I'd like a bit more out of that movie. But then I don't like Michael Bay or Spring Breakers so maybe I'm playing to the wrong crowd.

It all depends what you want out of a movie is I guess what I'm saying. If you just want something that engages you on a visual, aesthetic level, then that's fine. But if you want a good story well-told, I think that's fine too. And once again, It's not always a negative thing. Redline is style over substance and it owns. Saw is style over substance and it blows.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

I think film writers tend to get bullshitty about it, though. Stan Brakhage is style over - or at least style AS - substance almost 100% of the time, and everyone has to run around pretending he's not.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

penismightier posted:

I think film writers tend to get bullshitty about it, though.

Oh without a doubt. Probably moreso even than any other art critics.

And that's not to say substance over style isn't a thing too (insert your favorite boring documentary here, The Central Park Five is the first that came to mind).

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Eeehhhh.... I mean, with nothing else to back it up, then sure I guess. But at least that's one of those things like "pretentious" where it actually has a real meaning even if 90% of the people that use it are doing it wrong.

Yeah that's kinda what I'm talking about, just dropping those buzzwords without actually saying anything.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

9 times out of 10 pretentious is used as an offhand dismissal rather than for any real point.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I think some critics that use 'pretentious' should just say what they really mean, which is 'artsy-fartsy.'

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Basically, people want to be smarter than movies and get angry when movies trick them or try to be smart. Stupid movies.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I had a singing audition for the Portland Area Theatre Alliance last week and now have a callback for the main villain in a production of Parade.

Since I thought I lost the tempo and blew the audition, this was really unexpected. I also didn't do a monologue or any of the dancing auditions, so the callback is based entirely on my rendition of "Marry Me a Little" from Company, which I admittedly am a really good match for vocally.

I'm not getting my hopes up or anything since I have no idea if they're calling back dozens of people for the role, who else will be there, what exactly they're looking for, etc but it's still pretty drat rad and unexpected.

Maybe I'm going to make Portland work for me after all. :smith:

Movie chat: I went to a meetup and watched Akira yesterday and two of the people there were so excited that I had more to say than "It was good" during our discussion that they're basically pushing for friendship status like they want to date me or something.

Mainly because I didn't use the words pretentious, manipulative, problematic, etc I'm sure.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Geekboy posted:

Movie chat: I went to a meetup and watched Akira yesterday and two of the people there were so excited that I had more to say than "It was good" during our discussion that they're basically pushing for friendship status like they want to date me or something.

Stop. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200, all engines full reverse. You're an absolute mess and your personal life has been an absolute mess -- and given that your immediate reaction to people enjoying a discussion with you is "they want to date me or something," you're obviously not ready and still looking for validation from other people rather than yourself.

Just stop. Spend a few months taking care of yourself.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Timby posted:

Stop. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200, all engines full reverse. You're an absolute mess and your personal life has been an absolute mess -- and given that your immediate reaction to people enjoying a discussion with you is "they want to date me or something," you're obviously not ready and still looking for validation from other people rather than yourself.

Just stop. Spend a few months taking care of yourself.

I think that was supposed to be a joke.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Possibly.

But consider the source.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

It absolutely was.

I'm not really into dudes. Much less awkward movie nerd dudes. At least not romantically.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

I'm not really disagreeing with you, but it makes me wonder why this is considered cheap in most genres but it's an essential and widely accepted part of horror films.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPL593H posted:

I'm not really disagreeing with you, but it makes me wonder why this is considered cheap in most genres but it's an essential and widely accepted part of horror films.

I dunno, horror movies almost get it the worst. Think of how many horror movies you've seen that were loaded with bullshit screeching-string-section musical stings.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I dunno, horror movies almost get it the worst. Think of how many horror movies you've seen that were loaded with bullshit screeching-string-section musical stings.

Absolutely true, but there are a lot of great examples too. The most referenced one would that scene in Jaws where Hooper is investigating that boat and a dead body pops out. Spielberg himself has often talked about how the musical que was what made that scene work so well.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Absolutely true, but there are a lot of great examples too. The most referenced one would that scene in Jaws where Hooper is investigating that boat and a dead body pops out. Spielberg himself has often talked about how the musical que was what made that scene work so well.

Oh yeah, I mean, I'm an Italian horror fan so I'm definitely not knocking horror soundtracks on the whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Geekboy posted:

It absolutely was.

I'm not really into dudes. Much less awkward movie nerd dudes. At least not romantically.

Then what the gently caress are you doing here?

That is what we're all here for, right?

• Locked thread