Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

tuyop posted:

I love how the app description mentions "crazy twists" but the screens are all totally typical breakout levels, no power ups or twists shown at all!

Sure it's free but that's pretty dumb.

It's an endless high score game instead of level based. Is that a common thing in brick breakers that I missed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

And you didn't see it coming, did you? GOTCHA

Let's turn this poo poo into the next Flappy Bird.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
So in Electrium, Albumen was able to accelerate his cash on hand to the point where he was buying nearly 250K+ of single resources at one point, the market influence would then trigger from these trades and would most likely move the element in the direction to his profit. It wasn't gartuanteed, but from what I'm seeing, he'd take an element and usually it would move from like $2.10 to $2.25ish. If you think about that on a trade of 250K of a resource, he'd make nearly $40K from that one transaction alone. Granted this was available to anyone that got to his point as well, but I think it was pretty clear player influence was flawed and it needed to be disabled. Nice job, though.

Yolkfolk
Mar 20, 2007
Love is the stuff inside.

FlashBangBob posted:

So in Electrium, Albumen was able to accelerate his cash on hand to the point where he was buying nearly 250K+ of single resources at one point, the market influence would then trigger from these trades and would most likely move the element in the direction to his profit. It wasn't gartuanteed, but from what I'm seeing, he'd take an element and usually it would move from like $2.10 to $2.25ish. If you think about that on a trade of 250K of a resource, he'd make nearly $40K from that one transaction alone. Granted this was available to anyone that got to his point as well, but I think it was pretty clear player influence was flawed and it needed to be disabled. Nice job, though.

It is the end for Eggshire Hathaway!
When you bought a lot of one resource, the game seemed to respond as though there were genuine demand for that item, and raise the price for it quite quickly. You were then able to resell the item without limit back into the same market at the current purchase price.
Perhaps you could limit the extent to which one player could influence the price, while still allowing aggregate high sales or purchases from many players to add up to a more weighty influence.
You might also consider delaying the onset of a player generated influence by a much longer time, to reduce the chance to recycle gains made from one resource quickly into the next while the first recovers to a more normal price.
If you wanted to be really quite strict, you could give each player a limit to the storage of minerals in their HQ, which they could upgrade over time. This would prevent exponential growth in the amount of resources that you would otherwise need to achieve the results I did.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Or he could not implement global nerfs over an exploit that only one player can really make use of. Albumen's net worth is something like 18 times that of the #2 player; the solution is "hey absurdly rich player, don't be a dick".

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I'm ok with it, I had a share of Albumen :v:

Yolkfolk
Mar 20, 2007
I tried to make suggestions that would prevent the runaway profit making that was possible while not affecting the more normal methods of making money. Perhaps the Electrium auditors are going to come over and wheel out all my paperwork. Those shares might turn out to be worthless. :ohdear:

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Javid posted:

Or he could not implement global nerfs over an exploit that only one player can really make use of. Albumen's net worth is something like 18 times that of the #2 player; the solution is "hey absurdly rich player, don't be a dick".

The core of the problem was that there wasn't someone else doing something similar on the other side -- NO one was doing what he was doing. He was making nearly 120+ market orders a day. The next best person? 20. He had basically no competition in which prices could swing the other way. And that problem boils down to active players. There's not enough right now to have a perfect demand curve. Its also my fault for not taking the idea to the extreme levels.

The global "nerfs" you are mentioning is only to disable something that is now easily reproducible and doesn't work in the current metagame because of active players. What will work is the changes I'll be deploying in the next day, which anyone's influence is minimal at best.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Gibbering Madness posted:

Used this one, heres mine: HaoBClaZOK

Never tried one of these games, P&D isn't available in my region for some reason. Seems pretty cool so far, time will tell how horrible the freemium hooks are though.

Used, thanks! Mine is cfRUMCav2h

Edit: since this is a new page, guess I should mention this is for Fable Age

Edit2: added a bunch of folks from the last page, still have empty slots though. Game seems decent so far.

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 14, 2014

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

FlashBangBob posted:

The core of the problem was that there wasn't someone else doing something similar on the other side -- NO one was doing what he was doing. He was making nearly 120+ market orders a day. The next best person? 20. He had basically no competition in which prices could swing the other way. And that problem boils down to active players. There's not enough right now to have a perfect demand curve. Its also my fault for not taking the idea to the extreme levels.

The global "nerfs" you are mentioning is only to disable something that is now easily reproducible and doesn't work in the current metagame because of active players. What will work is the changes I'll be deploying in the next day, which anyone's influence is minimal at best.

Could have sworn I was making more then 2 transactions. I saw the swings and was riding them then went out for drinks and forgot about it. Was wondering why I didn't see the violent swings today.

also are there any common names for ships? I named my gas collector farts and I can't imagine I'm the only one.

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

pixaal posted:

Could have sworn I was making more then 2 transactions. I saw the swings and was riding them then went out for drinks and forgot about it. Was wondering why I didn't see the violent swings today.

also are there any common names for ships? I named my gas collector farts and I can't imagine I'm the only one.

I ran a distinct name check on the database for ships and it came out with something like 250 different ship names at the moment. I think there's Lava Dick 1 and Frozen DIck 1 out there.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Uberskooper posted:

Yep. Check out Autumn Dynasty Warlords. It's a neat blend of 4x and tactical strategy. Here's a review:

Wow, that is a fantastic looking game. Thanks!

Sunblood
Mar 12, 2006

I'm a freakin' blur here!
Erm, shouldn't I have ended up with a share of AlbuMen?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
What are the recommendations for games like Final Fantasy Tactics? I've already got Mage Wars, although I knmow that's a little different.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Falcon2001 posted:

What are the recommendations for games like Final Fantasy Tactics? I've already got Mage Wars, although I knmow that's a little different.

http://appshopper.com/games/tactical-warrior

http://appshopper.com/games/loststar-tactics

They look kinda lovely, but they are a lot of fun.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

eeenmachine posted:

Also Unpossible drops the 17th: sexiest and most intense game I've played in a long time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N9MvVsmlzo&hd=1
This looks like a cybery version of Proun.

Yolkfolk
Mar 20, 2007

Sunblood posted:

Erm, shouldn't I have ended up with a share of AlbuMen?

AlbuMen shares from yesterday were removed, but all shareholders were refunded their bid price. Do re-bid, but do not expect a 60,000 dividend!

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!

Yolkfolk posted:

AlbuMen shares from yesterday were removed, but all shareholders were refunded their bid price. Do re-bid, but do not expect a 60,000 dividend!

Yeah we came to an agreement that it was probably best for the game to set him back to where his total worth was before the market really started playing a factor. I realized that was before his most recent stock sale, so I refunded all the stock owners of this past stock sale for him.

gyger
Feb 19, 2010

Daveski posted:

Used, thanks! Mine is cfRUMCav2h

Edit: since this is a new page, guess I should mention this is for Fable Age

Edit2: added a bunch of folks from the last page, still have empty slots though. Game seems decent so far.

Thanks for the code, here is mine: DV9iChqH66

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Uberskooper posted:

Yep. Check out Autumn Dynasty Warlords. It's a neat blend of 4x and tactical strategy. Here's a review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzALfmEcbqI

What's the difference between Autumn Dynasty Warlords and Autumn Dynasty - FPS? They both look like recent releases.

FlashBangBob posted:

Yeah we came to an agreement that it was probably best for the game to set him back to where his total worth was before the market really started playing a factor. I realized that was before his most recent stock sale, so I refunded all the stock owners of this past stock sale for him.

I think it speaks well of you and AlbuMen that you came to that outcome.

Edit: Fable Age Qs:

Is there anything to do with useless heroes other than sell them? I don't see how to feed them to other heroes or anything.

I must be blind, because I often can't tell what element an enemy is until I hit them and see if damage is halved/normal/doubled. Is it supposed to be trial and error? (The element of the sorry hero seems to match most of the time, I guess.)

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 14, 2014

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

iuvian posted:

Probably the same way GBA4iOS works. A enterprise certificate that Apple expired like 2 hours after they released. Can't have people playing games that don't have 10 gems for $99!

Or, you know, Apple doesn't want to potentially be sued by Nintendo for DMCA violations. But your scenario has much more tinfoil and persecution involved so that's probably the right answer.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Subjunctive posted:

I must be blind, because I often can't tell what element an enemy is until I hit them and see if damage is halved/normal/doubled. Is it supposed to be trial and error? (The element of the sorry hero seems to match most of the time, I guess.)

The color of their health bar. Red is fire, blue is water, etc.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Murgos posted:

Or, you know, Apple doesn't want to potentially be sued by Nintendo for DMCA violations.

Given the number of emulators on the Android Play Store, I think that's probably not quite it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

No, it's that they want to be able to review what your software is going to do. There are rules about executing arbitrary/unincluded code, and the entire point of an emulator is to do precisely that.

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Playing the fable age game, still sticking with my current strategy of Snow White plus three elf lords. I'm up to book 15 without any problem but I'm definitely starting to get annoyed by how rare/hard it is to get decent characters. I've been running the same squad of 4 since book 3 without finding a single hero that improved things for me that wasn't a one time offer for more gems than you could have at that point without using paid currency. The random gem drop characters I've gotten have all been three star. So far for my 5th social party member, the order of quality is King Thrushbeard > Doll Guy > everybody else, and I'm kicking myself in the nuts for not being able to pick up Lancelot, who is basically just a better version of the blue elf lord with a higher level cap, as well as maybe evolution capability, but I'm not sure.

Also I find it super annoying that the evolution horns drop on on Tuesdays. What a lovely mechanic for a game with a stamina bar to keep you from grinding.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

TheQuietWilds posted:

Playing the fable age game, still sticking with my current strategy of Snow White plus three elf lords. I'm up to book 15 without any problem but I'm definitely starting to get annoyed by how rare/hard it is to get decent characters. I've been running the same squad of 4 since book 3 without finding a single hero that improved things for me that wasn't a one time offer for more gems than you could have at that point without using paid currency. The random gem drop characters I've gotten have all been three star. So far for my 5th social party member, the order of quality is King Thrushbeard > Doll Guy > everybody else, and I'm kicking myself in the nuts for not being able to pick up Lancelot, who is basically just a better version of the blue elf lord with a higher level cap, as well as maybe evolution capability, but I'm not sure.

Also I find it super annoying that the evolution horns drop on on Tuesdays. What a lovely mechanic for a game with a stamina bar to keep you from grinding.

Yeah this game was fun for like 3 hours but mostly because of the actual combat mechanics which (afaik) were cribbed from PAD or some other similar game. Every other mechanic is terrible and I keep getting lovely 3 Star drops and fairies. Now that I've reached the point that I actually have to wait for my stamina to recharge I'll probably uninstall. I'm at book 13 for context

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

priznat posted:

Had to go look it up, but it is "Starbase Orion". I think I got it as a freebie and it is decent but not fantastic.

Counterpoint: it's the best mobile version of MoO2 (but that's "all it is") available today, the dev keeps it up to date and multiplayer is great. :colbert:

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
The Star Wars Assault Squad game would be far better if there were more ways to interact with other players and possibly trade cards or something.

Like, some of the cards I need to promote Han are going to be a bitch and a half to get and this is just getting him up to Tier 4. I can't imagine what it will be like to try to get someone up to Tier 5.

I kind of still like the core gameplay, although after a couple of weeks it's starting to get very same-y. Concentrate fire on a dude until said dude dies, draw fire away from Luke, blah blah blah.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

GNU Order posted:

Yeah this game was fun for like 3 hours but mostly because of the actual combat mechanics which (afaik) were cribbed from PAD or some other similar game. Every other mechanic is terrible and I keep getting lovely 3 Star drops and fairies. Now that I've reached the point that I actually have to wait for my stamina to recharge I'll probably uninstall. I'm at book 13 for context

Honestly everyone who briefly "enjoyed" Fable Age should just bite the bullet and play Puzzle and Dragons.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

SquadronROE posted:

The Star Wars Assault Squad game would be far better if there were more ways to interact with other players and possibly trade cards or something.

Like, some of the cards I need to promote Han are going to be a bitch and a half to get and this is just getting him up to Tier 4. I can't imagine what it will be like to try to get someone up to Tier 5.

I kind of still like the core gameplay, although after a couple of weeks it's starting to get very same-y. Concentrate fire on a dude until said dude dies, draw fire away from Luke, blah blah blah.

Once you get your first Tier 4, the rest come a lot more easily because all of the event days become pretty easy. The power gap between tiers is very noticeable. I can't picture myself playing long enough to get a tier 5 though, especially if more stuff isn't added.

Strrrrront
Feb 7, 2011
So this Trials Frontier game, I really don't understand what value it has over a game like Bike Baron, that's been around for ages. While Trials' graphics are somewhat shinier, BB has no pointless story, better handling, more levels, the ability to create your own levels and play those made by others and most of all: no lovely IAP bullshit. I'd rather see everyone give their money to the people that made Bike Baron than the IAP-shovelers that made Trials.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Bike Baron is the Bee's knees!

TACD posted:

This looks like a cybery version of Proun.

Or Pivvot in 3d, or Super Hexagon, or roughly a thousand games that claim to "use your music as the soundtrack!" --Octagon, Verticus, Melodive, Boost 2, and many others if I wanted to go through the "not on this device" list further.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Vice Zoomler Aestro posted:

Once you get your first Tier 4, the rest come a lot more easily because all of the event days become pretty easy. The power gap between tiers is very noticeable. I can't picture myself playing long enough to get a tier 5 though, especially if more stuff isn't added.

Have you seen anyone with a Tier 5? Or Imperial units? I'm curious if you can get any Imperials.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

SquadronROE posted:

Yeah, I binged on it for a weekend and frankly its become the same thing over and over now. Once you get past the SW theme it's just a really, really lovely version of the Wizardry 8 battle mechanic attached to zero story or any kind of larger game.

Also given that it's a SW game I have zero faith that it will see any more development. In my experience the bigger the franchise the larger the chance that it will be a one-off with no updates, probably because of the legions of Lucas Arts lawyers and continuity BS that they need to go through every time they implement a content expansion.

edit:

SquadronROE posted:

Have you seen anyone with a Tier 5? Or Imperial units? I'm curious if you can get any Imperials.

I bought a 20 gem card pack with free gems for shits and giggles and got a Tier 3 probe droid. Pretty loving strong card, actually - used it to make the Kashyyyk levels trivial. Tier 2 R2 really looks like a chump next to him.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

SquadronROE posted:

I'm fairly certain I've had my rear end handed to me by some Tier 5's in PvP. Have not seen any imperials.

For training, I've found a few combos that grant extra experience. The game mentions that you can put multiple training items in numerical order for a pretty substantial boost (i.e. Mechanical 1+2+3+4). I've also found that you can get a bonus for different specialties of the same tier (Mechanical 2 + Smuggler 2 + Force 2, for example). Anything you add on that doesn't fit the combo still gets an exp boost, but anything that fits the pattern will enhance the boost. I don't know if there are more combos or not.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I'm still on the fence about Fable Age. It's pretty well polished, but the narrow grid makes you pretty vulnerable to drop-in luck. My rare summons have been 4* - 3* - 4*, so I have nothing overwhelming and in fact have gotten far more 3*s through just clearing levels. First boss I've found that's been annoying is #11, who has huge defense and low HP, but enough to last long enough to get you trapped without enough hearts to recharge.

EDIT: Also, it is quite crashtastic. I'm getting pretty tired of picking a level, picking a friend, entering the level, *immediate crash* and the energy is gone when I restart the app.

delfin fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 15, 2014

SpclKen
Mar 13, 2006
New Goon... go easy

Any update on Hearthstone to the us store? Never played and it looks pretty slick.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
What are some good iOS point and click adventures? I see the first two Monkey Island games and Phoenix Wright on here. Searching "point and click" doesn't bring up much and the app store's definition of adventure game is pretty broad.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Unmature posted:

What are some good iOS point and click adventures? I see the first two Monkey Island games and Phoenix Wright on here. Searching "point and click" doesn't bring up much and the app store's definition of adventure game is pretty broad.

Gemini rue is a strong example with vintage stylings. Broken sword 1&2 are solid.
Year walk and superbrothers sword and sworcery vaguely fit the bill but are worth getting regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

SpclKen posted:

Any update on Hearthstone to the us store? Never played and it looks pretty slick.

It's very, very easy to create a NZ iTunes account- http://www.148apps.com/news/create-foreign-itunes-account-download-apps-games-early/

The NZ version of the game works fine with US Battle.net accounts.

• Locked thread