Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Dommenique. Because Dominic wasn't fancay enough. Shortened? Yes. Written as Domme, by his mother. Hoping she just doesn't know that's an actual word.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Mescal posted:

Sadhbh Walshe

Sadhbh is one of those names that's as common as dirt in Ireland, and pretty much unpronounceable by everyone else. Although the original spelling is much nicer than Sive (or Sow).

Naturally Selected posted:

Dommenique. Because Dominic wasn't fancay enough. Shortened? Yes. Written as Domme, by his mother. Hoping she just doesn't know that's an actual word.

Because of the similarity in spelling to Dominique, I would assume that Dommenique were a girl's name.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Istari posted:

Sadhbh is one of those names that's as common as dirt in Ireland, and pretty much unpronounceable by everyone else. Although the original spelling is much nicer than Sive (or Sow).

Because of the similarity in spelling to Dominique, I would assume that Dommenique were a girl's name.

It was a boy. A girl named Domme would be even worse.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
While reading about civilian radiation accidents, I came across a Radiologic Technologist called Raven Knickerbocker, who apparently went nuts (possibly because everyone made fun of her name) and performed 151 CT scan slices on the head of a 23 month-old child over a 65-minute period.
The kid survived with radiation burns.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Istari posted:

So is it pronounced Sive, or Sow?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

Mescal posted:

So is it pronounced Sive, or Sow?

It depends where you're from. Most people pronounce it Sive (rhymes with drive). But in the Connacht dialect, it's pronounced Sow (rhymes with cow).

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

flakeloaf posted:

Ottawa has a realtor named Anita Hoare. And that would appear to be her married name :psyduck:

Update: Her husband is accused of trying to kill her. Accused isn't convicted of course, but even if he turns out to be not guilty this'll still probably tarnish his good na...

...um...

arsenicxenon
Aug 9, 2013
Good friend o mine is named Manmeet. Its obviously pronounced differently in whatever part of India his parents are from but me and his other friends just call him the English phonetic pronunciation of man-meat.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'm terminating old students in our database, and just came across a man with the given name Divas Cursel (first and middle name). I don't care how you pronounce it, lady, you just named your boy the plural of diva.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

Say Nothing posted:

While reading about civilian radiation accidents, I came across a Radiologic Technologist called Raven Knickerbocker, who apparently went nuts (possibly because everyone made fun of her name) and performed 151 CT scan slices on the head of a 23 month-old child over a 65-minute period.
The kid survived with radiation burns.

This is Raven Knickerbocker:

More info on the case: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/16/us/16radiation.html

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Lotish posted:

I'm terminating old students in our database, and just came across a man with the given name Divas Cursel (first and middle name). I don't care how you pronounce it, lady, you just named your boy the plural of diva.

I would read it with a long-I like in "Divers."

KillerEggplant
Apr 2, 2011

Mooktastical posted:

I work in a call center, and a woman regularly calls in with a last name she pronounces as "cologne", but is spelled c o l o n.

It's pronounced Boo-kay.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

KillerEggplant posted:

It's pronounced Boo-kay.

Hyacinth or Rose?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Imperialist Dog posted:

Hyacinth or Rose?

It's my sister, Violet, the one with the Mercedes, sauna and room for a pony.

Lolitas Alright!
Sep 15, 2007

This is your friend.
She fights for your freedom.

Imperialist Dog posted:

Hyacinth or Rose?

Neither, just Daisy.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

He used to be the drummer for The Damned; I don't think punk names should count.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
A friend of a friend on Facebook has the absolutely fantastic last name of Zimbadima-Zimbadara. I think she's Nigerian.

Edit: I don't know if that's a legal name or just a Facebook name, but it's fun to say either way.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?
I saw a Tyfanee on Facebook.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I know a lady named Africa. She has a sister named Ultra.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Are you kidding me with this stuff?

http://www.avclub.com/article/game-thrones-khaleesi-now-more-popular-baby-name-b-203365

At least 146 people all had the brilliant idea to name their daughter Khaleesi.

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
My nephew's name is Rylan. My male cousin is named Taylor and people always say "Isn't that a girl's name?"

My parents have a neighbor whose first name is Gaylord. He goes by Gay for short.

A friend of mine's name is Andrea but she gets really really mad if you pronounce it as anything other than "Ahn-dray-ah" It is NOT "An-dree-ah"

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Nothing terrible about wanting your name pronounced right, though.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, my name is Gareth and people mispronounce that all the time (the first syllable is pronounce like "care"). Most of the time I get called Garreth, Garth, Garrett or Gary.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Lotish posted:

Yeah, my name is Gareth and people mispronounce that all the time (the first syllable is pronounce like "care"). Most of the time I get called Garreth, Garth, Garrett or Gary.
It's the other way round for me. My name is one of those others you posted and I get called Gareth a lot.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Saw this name in an awfully :smith: story* in the paper today (the image is huge, sorry about that):

* It's a story about a baby that died, his parents (who didn't even get him a crib, letting him sleep on the couch, and didn't even recover their child's body), and the non-profit organization that gave him a funeral.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

MisterBibs posted:

Saw this name in an awfully :smith: story* in the paper today (the image is huge, sorry about that):

* It's a story about a baby that died, his parents (who didn't even get him a crib, letting him sleep on the couch, and didn't even recover their child's body), and the non-profit organization that gave him a funeral.

I was at he local cemetery the other day, and found a section belonging to the Butt family. There were twin babies that had died right after birth, and hadn't been named. So their gravestone read:

Baby Boy Butt
Baby Girl Butt
In the arms of the Lord.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Perhaps using his whole name would have been appropriate.

Doctor Bishop
Oct 22, 2013

To understand what happened at the diner, we use Mr. Papaya. This is upsetting because he is the friendliest of fruits.
So this name isn't of a person, but it's still extremely unfortunate. In Tucson, there's this one local news channel, KVOA, that proudly advertises that they have a weather/traffic/whatever-the-hell-else-they-feel-like-using-it-for surveillance system called... Skynet.

I poo poo you not.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Say Nothing posted:

It's the other way round for me. My name is one of those others you posted and I get called Gareth a lot.

The best was the time I took a driver's ed class and my table also had a Gary and a Garrett.

falconry
Oct 9, 2012
Saw a kid at an elementary school whose name was "Beta", which I thought was kind of depressing. Like perhaps the next child will be of satisfactory standards.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Mooktastical posted:

I work in a call center, and a woman regularly calls in with a last name she pronounces as "cologne", but is spelled c o l o n.

High school was a long time ago, but it seems like that'd be the totally standard Spanish pronunciation of Colon.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

falconry posted:

Saw a kid at an elementary school whose name was "Beta", which I thought was kind of depressing. Like perhaps the next child will be of satisfactory standards.

Oh, you mean Gamma?

StandardToast
Feb 13, 2012

I work at a women's clinic and we see all sorts of unusual names, but the one that has given me the most rage is "Tephany". I mean really. Come on now. Tephany? As if we don't have enough Tiffany/Tiffani's as there is already. She was in her early 20s, too. Please someone tell me it's a real name.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Tephany is a real last name. Maybe someone decided to snag it to use as a first name, like MacKenzie. That's the most charitable spin I can put on it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

^^ Looks like a permutation of "Tiffany" to me.

Forgot to report to this thread when my high school art teacher had a baby boy and named him Ronin. But what gets me is that she made his middle name James. What kind of sadistic fucker do you have to be to do that? It's tantamount to saying, "Hey, you could have had this perfectly normal name, but I'm gonna saddle you with something else because I want my baby to be a unique snowflake!"

And please don't say that parents do that because "the middle name is what they really call the kid." That's bullshit.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.

Y-Hat posted:

^^ Looks like a permutation of "Tiffany" to me.

Forgot to report to this thread when my high school art teacher had a baby boy and named him Ronin. But what gets me is that she made his middle name James. What kind of sadistic fucker do you have to be to do that? It's tantamount to saying, "Hey, you could have had this perfectly normal name, but I'm gonna saddle you with something else because I want my baby to be a unique snowflake!"

And please don't say that parents do that because "the middle name is what they really call the kid." That's bullshit.

I'm called by my middle name. I know lots of people who are. It's irritating and inconvenient. And they could always call him Ron.

I've a friend named Miri after the Star Trek character. Her name on her birth certificate is listed as "Miriam" because her mom wanted her to have a real name to sign on official documents.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

GabrielAisling posted:

I'm called by my middle name. I know lots of people who are. It's irritating and inconvenient. And they could always call him Ron.

I've a friend named Miri after the Star Trek character. Her name on her birth certificate is listed as "Miriam" because her mom wanted her to have a real name to sign on official documents.

She's gonna be mad when she finds her birth certificate and realizes she had a normal name all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

SpookyLizard posted:

Or cat name. With or without the pun.

My uncle had a cat named Gatsby. He was grey with white boots and enjoyed sleeping in the open ceiling joints in the basement. He died earlier this year :smith: