Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

VideoTapir posted:

Which do you prefer, if you had to choose?

Irrelevant, I don't get to choose. White liberals policing black culture is here to stay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

VideoTapir posted:

Which do you prefer, if you had to choose?

I'd think his main choice would be white people not telling a black dude what is and isn't ok for him to say based on their views of a word?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Why is the Nevada thing now about Harry Reid selling the country to China to build a solar power plant? My mom just breathlessly explained that everything is (again) secretly about some Democrat scheme that makes no sense and seems like one of those things you only believe if the simple idea that the government may be right is toxic to you.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Tender Bender posted:

Why is the Nevada thing now about Harry Reid selling the country to China to build a solar power plant? My mom just breathlessly explained that everything is (again) secretly about some Democrat scheme that makes no sense and seems like one of those things you only believe if the simple idea that the government may be right is toxic to you.

It's never the crazy Right Winger's fault, it's always the Pinko slash Colored People's fault.

One of my favorite restaurants is a mom & pop Vietnamese place. Old rear end Vietnamese lady and her American Son in Law. Great food, but that guy is a WND nut job. Nice as hell when he isn't ranting about Obama conspiracies. Since I didn't know the guy pre Obama I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and just assume he's a conspiracy nut, but if I know him in 20 years when the GOP finally gets back into the WH and he suddenly changes tone I'll see his true form.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tender Bender posted:

It's always everyone's fault but theirs, usually in cahoots with some scary minority.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

SedanChair posted:

OK, thanks for the opportunity.

Don't make fun of women for refusing to have sex with you! And don't call black people niggers, and if you can manage it, try to do that out of genuine empathy rather than pragmatism or concern for appearances.

I have spoken.

Can we make fun of women who champion the idea that sex is inherently evil, that attack other women for having sex, that try to legislate against and restrict sex across an entire nation of people, have spoken out against masturbation, and then are exposed for having a somewhat unusual history with sex?

Maybe you're right though. Like how it was as homophobic as the Nazis basically to make fun of Ted Haggard after he spent his career making a ton of money inciting hatred against gays before being caught buying methamphetamine from a gay prostitute. I too remember the hordes of gays that converged to defend poor Mr. Haggard from criticism that was clearly nothing but homophobia.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Mineaiki posted:

Can we make fun of women who champion the idea that sex is inherently evil, that attack other women for having sex, that try to legislate against and restrict sex across an entire nation of people, have spoken out against masturbation, and then are exposed for having a somewhat unusual history with sex?

Yes, you just stop caring that you might be causing a tiny harm while you mock the idiot actively working against women.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Mineaiki posted:

Maybe you're right though. Like how it was as homophobic as the Nazis basically to make fun of Ted Haggard after he spent his career making a ton of money inciting hatred against gays before being caught buying methamphetamine from a gay prostitute. I too remember the hordes of gays that converged to defend poor Mr. Haggard from criticism that was clearly nothing but homophobia.

Yeah, O'Donnell, and any other Republican who has hosed up views on sexuality that they try to codify in law, absolutely deserve to get mocked for being weirdos about sex.

It is pretty lovely, however, that the one Republican rear end in a top hat that gets called to task on their somewha- embarrassing sexual habits is a woman, given that the preponderance of sexual hypocrite GOP candidates are men.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Mineaiki posted:

How is "not putting out for some bro" a "somewhat unusual history with sex"?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Tender Bender posted:

Harry Reid's son may or may not have helped with creating a solar energy farm which is necessarily going to involve the Chinese since they make most of the drat panels. Also the site his son helped with is either tens or hundreds of miles away from the deadbeat rancher depending on which loon is writing about it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mineaiki posted:

You realize the story was 'she didn't wanna gently caress some dude', right?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
When/if the right wakes up to the fact that solar power isn't the devil (right around the time the last drop of gasoline is distilled from the last piece of shale) they're going to find some way to blame the left for handing the industry over to the Chinese.

I had a roommate who is a salesman for a Chinese solar panel company (in China). We talked about this and he had a big poo poo-eating grin on his face the whole time. Them drat dirty hippie Chinese.

SedanChair posted:

Irrelevant, I don't get to choose. White liberals policing black culture is here to stay.

Yeah, and if you somehow got rid of it it'd probably go back the way it was. It's all or nothing, dude.

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 17, 2014

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

SedanChair posted:

How is "not putting out for some bro" a "somewhat unusual history with sex"?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

You realize the story was 'she didn't wanna gently caress some dude', right?

Yeah actually I just realized my memory is pretty bad with that. I won't edit my post, to preserve context, but I was wrong.

I don't think women should be attacked for their sexual preferences of any kind. I do think it's kind of natural though for sex to come up when we're talking about people who spend every waking moment thinking about sex. Still, it shouldn't be all shame tactics when the problem is their poisonous beliefs.

Also how did racism ever get into this?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mineaiki posted:

Yeah actually I just realized my memory is pretty bad with that. I won't edit my post, to preserve context, but I was wrong.

I don't think women should be attacked for their sexual preferences of any kind. I do think it's kind of natural though for sex to come up when we're talking about people who spend every waking moment thinking about sex. Still, it shouldn't be all shame tactics when the problem is their poisonous beliefs.

Also how did racism ever get into this?

Because Sedan said using that kind of logic was like saying calling West a friend of the family was ok because he's such a toxic piece of poo poo, and then someone tried to tell him that literally no context ever made saying the word friend of the family ok, including using it as an example of a bad thing.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Notorious QIG posted:

As a Delawarean, I an so, so sorry for inflicting Christine O'Donnell on the world. We're doing everything in our power to not embarrass ourselves that badly again.

You could come move to Texas. I can guarantee you that within a week of moving here (and therefore becoming an honorary Texan) that Christine O'Donnell won't even register on your list of "embarrassing things my state has produced".

But, hey, at least the food's good and gas is down here.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
I'm having a debate with someone who was complaining that progressives are responsible for NSA's spying, drones etc.

When I pointed out the obvious flaws with this, he countered that he means the progressive "movement" has nothing to do with political parties and that progressives exist in both parties. I asked him for clarification on what his definition of progressives are, but haven't gotten a response.

Is this some "all GOP is RINOs" craziness, or just some strange new right-wing spin? Has anyone ran into this viewpoint before?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Bait and Swatch posted:

I'm having a debate with someone who was complaining that progressives are responsible for NSA's spying, drones etc.

When I pointed out the obvious flaws with this, he countered that he means the progressive "movement" has nothing to do with political parties and that progressives exist in both parties. I asked him for clarification on what his definition of progressives are, but haven't gotten a response.

Is this some "all GOP is RINOs" craziness, or just some strange new right-wing spin? Has anyone ran into this viewpoint before?

I've seen crazy comments on other forums and news comments saying that "Bush was a progressive" and in the leadup to 2010 some nutter was saying "We are Taxed Enough Already and our main priority is to kick these progressive Republicans and progressive Democrats out of office."

Progressives are like some sort of omnipresent enemy to them.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Alkydere posted:

You could come move to Texas. I can guarantee you that within a week of moving here (and therefore becoming an honorary Texan) that Christine O'Donnell won't even register on your list of "embarrassing things my state has produced".

But, hey, at least the food's good and gas is down here.

Oh God there was that guy not long ago running for some office who actually used the word "Wetback" to describe Hispanics, and when they called him on it his reply was basically "Well I mean that's just we say, me and my other rancher neighbors. Not a racial thing, you know, just how we talk around my home." It's totally cool to be racist, because folks and family and local culture and VALUES and stuff. You know.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bait and Swatch posted:

From what I've seen it's not so much a product of consistent new messaging as a byproduct of cognitive dissonance. Real Conservatives are Good People and Liberal Progressives are Bad People, and Bad Things are the fault of Bad People, not Good People. So any Republican who does a Bad Thing isn't a true Scotsman; instead they're a crypto-liberal, RINO, "progressive," whatever.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I guess if you are so far gone you believe in 0% income tax, the dissolution of the Federal Government, and absolutely no regulations about anything the current GOP is probably pretty progressive on those issues.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Mineaiki posted:

Oh God there was that guy not long ago running for some office who actually used the word "Wetback" to describe Hispanics, and when they called him on it his reply was basically "Well I mean that's just we say, me and my other rancher neighbors. Not a racial thing, you know, just how we talk around my home." It's totally cool to be racist, because folks and family and local culture and VALUES and stuff. You know.

Actually that was my current Representative Don Young (R-AK), the really sad part is he's going to have to die before he gets replaced; and even then it might take a few cycles.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Bait and Swatch posted:

I asked him for clarification on what his definition of progressives are, but haven't gotten a response.

Certain demented libertarian types have weird definitions. Your opponent is probably similar to the famous Radium meltdown in D&D back in olden tymes. I don't want to copy/paste the multiple pages of him ranting, but his view puts "progressive" as separate from left/right, in that you can be a right-wing progressive (Bush?) because of your views on political correctness and intangible social pressures/standards.

Here's a taste:

Radium posted:

Having purple skin is not a choice. Putting your penis in another man is a choice. Choices have consequences; choose accordingly.

========

Now you're trying to defend yourself by saying I don't want to improve society because I don't want to impose your ideals on the rest of the country?

Obama isn't progressive? The same Obama that extols Teddy Roosevelt? Neoliberal just means a leftist progressive.

========

Everyone avoids my questions. If someone opposes gay marriage, they are a bigot. What if a homosexual says they oppose me marrying a paperclip? I love the paperclip. I was born loving paperclips. That is the way I was born. Why can I not marry the paperclip and declare it as a dependent on my tax return? You're a bigot!

========

Typical progressive debate. You are right and I am wrong, so you must impose your belief's on me and tell me that what I believe is wrong. You know best, and you are so sure of that that it must be enforced at the highest level possible. Progressivism means that you will do whatever it takes by whatever means necessary to shape society to what you decide is best for everyone.

The difference between us is that I tolerate your beliefs as long as I am not forced to live under them. Roosevelt was a progressive. Stalin was a progressive. Hitler was a progressive. But I guess modern progressives are different because they know what's right this time around.

========

It's a very broad term.

quote:
Progressivism is an umbrella term for a political ideology advocating or favoring social, political, and economic reform or changes through the state.

========

If being a troll means just stating my opinion alongside of yours, I suppose. Yet if I agreed with you, would I still be a troll?

I am neither right or left. This isn't a football game. You're trying to put a label on me so you can associate what I say with the flawed opinions of others. Saul Alinsky?

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 17, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Thanks to glenn beck, morons say "progressive" because their ability to comprehend authoritarianism has been stolen from them.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Haha holy poo poo Radium was the goddamn worst.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
The best part is he posted that stuff logged in as (admin) SA Support Robot, which was initially pretty baffling. As far as I know, it was used solely for announcements and updates and forums crashes, before its circuits fried and libertarian self-awareness began.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I've seen crazy comments on other forums and news comments saying that "Bush was a progressive" and in the leadup to 2010 some nutter was saying "We are Taxed Enough Already and our main priority is to kick these progressive Republicans and progressive Democrats out of office."

Progressives are like some sort of omnipresent enemy to them.

Your last statement is truer than you might think. These are people who believe right-wing government enclaves like the FBI and BLM are hives of progressiveness and villainy. They do really, earnestly believe that all progressives are merely disciples of Feinstein, wanting nothing other than to bring a strict authoritarian state into being in which we can oppress those poor, beleaguered conservatives. You can't be a reactionary without fear, anger, and paranoia (i.e., something to react to), and all of those things are more easily bolstered if you have a consistent, omnipresent threat like progressives, Catholics, Jesuits, Masons, etc. It doesn't matter if they have (and have always had) iron-fisted control of this country, conservatives will forever be victimized or on the verge of being victimized because that attitude is foundational to conservative politics. They can have whatever policy or principles or beliefs they want. What they desire for a system of government is irrelevant. You cannot have conservative politics without the Paranoid Style.

I'm sure this has been posted in DnD many times before because it's rather famous, but it deserves to be reposted everywhere. It's short and interesting and well-written:

http://harpers.org/archive/1964/11/the-paranoid-style-in-american-politics/

The Paranoid Style was written in 1964, mind you. See how much Tea Party/Freeper/Glenn Beck/Alex Jones you can find in his examples.

This is never going to go away. The wicked conspiracy that will bring America to its knees only changes; it never leaves.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Walter, honest question, what is your opinion of the reclamation of slurs? And how do you feel about the word queer?

I think it's part of human culture, and a natural response of those who are oppressed. It's a means of resistance, andof trying to rob the slur of some of its power. I also think it's drat near impossible to tell in an anonymous online setting whether your user is someone appropriating (the phenomenon is called "appropriation") the term, or someone using it hurtfully.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.

SedanChair posted:

Also, pardon me for not keeping your username in my "list of black goons" that I didn't know I was required to maintain. I don't use the word myself, and I have no reason to assume someone is or is not black based on the posts I've seen here.

Use whatever words you want to use, but recognize that you're not in a setting where it's terribly easy to tell the difference between a black man using that term ironically, and a white man using it when he has no business doing so.

So don't be surprised when someone takes offense, because it's an offensive loving word, even to a white liberal who apparently is a closest loving racist in your view.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

sweart gliwere posted:

The best part is he posted that stuff logged in as (admin) SA Support Robot, which was initially pretty baffling. As far as I know, it was used solely for announcements and updates and forums crashes, before its circuits fried and libertarian self-awareness began.

I think I would've died laughing if I started reading multi-page libertarian nonsense being spouted by the Support Robot.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Debate Disco > Dittoheads, Great Americans, and Whitesplaining - Right Wing Media

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Walter posted:

Also, pardon me for not keeping your username in my "list of black goons" that I didn't know I was required to maintain. I don't use the word myself, and I have no reason to assume someone is or is not black based on the posts I've seen here.

I pardon you for embarrassing yourself. But you already criticized Chris Rock and Chappelle--did they not make it onto your list either?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Walter posted:

Use whatever words you want to use, but recognize that you're not in a setting where it's terribly easy to tell the difference between a black man using that term ironically, and a white man using it when he has no business doing so.

So don't be surprised when someone takes offense, because it's an offensive loving word, even to a white liberal who apparently is a closest loving racist in your view.

Regardless of race he was literally saying friend of the family as an example of a horrible thing to call a black man, I don't know how you possibly wanted him to phrase it to cushion your feelings better. Like, if you say 'a slur for a black person' or 'the n-word' we all know you mean friend of the family, what's the benefit to making everyone think it vs just saying it in that context?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

From what I've seen it's not so much a product of consistent new messaging as a byproduct of cognitive dissonance. Real Conservatives are Good People and Liberal Progressives are Bad People, and Bad Things are the fault of Bad People, not Good People. So any Republican who does a Bad Thing isn't a true Scotsman; instead they're a crypto-liberal, RINO, "progressive," whatever.
Yeah, it's the same way they get liberalism = nazism = fascism = stalinism, or godless atheist liberals implementing sharia law. Liberals are bad, nazis are bad, fascists are bad, therefore liberals are all nazis and fascists. Atheists are bad, muslims are bad, therefore atheists and muslims are pretty much the same thing. QED.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm really starting to come around on this fascism thing. Everyone would literally win.

On the liberal side, they could finally push their fascist taxes in the wealthy and force American children to learn totalitarian new math.

On the conservative side, they finally get to be the oppressed minority they've been begging to be from a rhetorical perspective.

It'd be great.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Walter posted:

You whiny white fucker lol.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

You whiny white fucker lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2NpY8Q470c

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

FMguru posted:

Atheists are bad, muslims are bad, therefore atheists and muslims are pretty much the same thing. QED.
Remember that deep in the fundie psyche is the idea that atheists, Muslims, Jews, and members of every other non-Christian religion are fully aware that Jesus is Lord. They're just choosing to reject him because they're bad people.

So it's not that much of a stretch for them to believe that atheist = Muslim, because they're both just people rejecting Jesus despite knowing that he's the Savior. The flavor of their rejection is just window dressing cooked up by Satan.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Please, someone post something dumb the right did. We've gotten to the point where the line between sarcastic posting and real life are blurred. I don't know what is happening.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Some rear end in a top hat filling in for Hannity had the guys behind the Frack Nation "documentary" and they are talking about their new movie about Kermit Gosnell.

Apparently Kickstarter is partisan now because they wouldn't allow them to use the phrase "baby murderer" in the project summary. Presumably because they are liberals and love murdering babies and not because it's tasteless as gently caress.

Also did you know nobody knows who Kermit Cornell is because of the mainstream media refusing to report on his trial because liberals?

It couldn't possibly be because there is zero controversy over the case and he is unequivocally a horrific monster and nobody would defend what he did and so there's nothing to report beyond "this poo poo is horrific."

No, it's because abortion and liberals and what Gosnell did is totally equivalent to legal abortion and he's totally not in jail for life at the moment.

It's so goddamn dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Tender Bender posted:

I don't know about the China connection but here's a blog post by Dana Loesch that claims Reid is doing it to help out his donors.

quote:

A tortoise isn’t the reason why BLM is harassing a 67 year-old rancher. They want his land. The tortoise wasn’t of concern when Harry Reid worked BLM to literally change the boundaries of the tortoise’s habitat to accommodate the development of his top donor, Harvey Whittemore. Whittemore was convicted of illegal campaign contributions to Senator Reid. Reid’s former senior adviser is now the head of BLM. Reid is accused of using the new BLM chief as a puppet to control Nevada land (already over 84% of which is owned by the federal government) and pay back special interests. BLM has proven that they’ve a situational concern for the desert tortoise as they’ve had no problem waiving their rules concerning wind or solar power development. Clearly these developments have vastly affected a tortoise habitat more than a century-old, quasi-homesteading grazing area. If only Clive Bundy were a big Reid donor.

This is from April 11 so right wing media has been playing this angle for a while.