Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Flesnolk posted:

Nah, far as I can tell they're the same dude, the lighting's just different in Dial Tone. Compare the models:

Execution

Dial Tone

Isn't that just the "generic Russian gangster" outfit that we killed thousands of in the first game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Flesnolk posted:

Maskless guy's just outside the bar in that demo, too. Maybe that's where most/all of the playable people hang out, not just the Fans? Probably not Pig Butcher or the mobster.

Edit: Nevermind, dumb question/speculation. But here's an interesting video from Nigel Lowrie where he goes into a bit more detail on some of the new stuff. Apparently one of the new guys is a detective.

The description for that says that there's 60FPS direct capture, has that been mentioned anywhere else?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Skyscraper posted:

Isn't that just the "generic Russian gangster" outfit that we killed thousands of in the first game?

The suit is, but the character model isn't - the mobsters in the first game were faceless white dudes, while this guy has actual facial features.

HLM 1 mobster, for reference:

(I swear every one of those motherfuckers must've been ex-Spetsnaz, what with the perfect aim and Jedi reflexes. Glad they're all dead.)

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 16, 2014

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
Very excited about the more challenging maps, HM1 was tricky sure, but it wasn't that hard once you got into the groove. You can dodge an awful lot of gunfire if you know how to move

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Flesnolk posted:

(I swear every one of those motherfuckers must've been ex-Spetsnaz, what with the perfect aim and Jedi reflexes. Glad they're all dead.)

Actually they were normal Russians with slow reflexes and poor aim, the drugs Jacket was on just made him so slow...

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

Someone wasn't playing aggressively enough.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Anatharon posted:

Someone wasn't playing aggressively enough.

Rip and tear,

Rip and loving tear :unsmigghh:

e:

ps the croc mask is best

Beeb fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 17, 2014

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Oh I will amend my last statement by saying "Unless you mean the first shotgun wielding enemy in Safehouse." I swear that's the single most annoying enemy in the whole game.

Capn Beeb posted:

Rip and tear,

Rip and loving tear :unsmigghh:

e:

ps the croc mask is best

I kinda hope Nigel, Russel and Jones get added into Wrong Number somehow.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Capn Beeb posted:

ps the croc mask is best

Jones the crocodile is my best friend. We get along very well. We like to make new friends too!

And then we paint the town red with them.

Paint it red with all the parts of them.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Very excited about the more challenging maps, HM1 was tricky sure, but it wasn't that hard once you got into the groove. You can dodge an awful lot of gunfire if you know how to move

HLM 1 was hard as balls but its difficulty was about as real as pro wrestling. Too many arbitrary "gently caress you"s as opposed to actual challenge. It wasn't even a "not aggressive enough" thing because there were times I'd just get instantly ventilated before I'd even had the opportunity to do anything; I sorta wonder if lag had something to do with how bullshit fast every enemy was whereas you guys seem to have had no trouble whatsoever. Whatever, hopefully Wrong Number will be less dumb about it.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Jones was the best because he was functionally useless but had the best function of any mask.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Jones is legit but I'm also a fan of Carl. Getting through some of the encounters with just the drill is a lot like whack-a-mole, except you gotta hold down the moles and perform a lobotomy before one is up long enough to shoot you.

It's a lot harder now that you aren't immune to gunfire while executing. :sigh:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

HLM 1 was hard as balls but its difficulty was about as real as pro wrestling. Too many arbitrary "gently caress you"s as opposed to actual challenge. It wasn't even a "not aggressive enough" thing because there were times I'd just get instantly ventilated before I'd even had the opportunity to do anything; I sorta wonder if lag had something to do with how bullshit fast every enemy was whereas you guys seem to have had no trouble whatsoever. Whatever, hopefully Wrong Number will be less dumb about it.

Wrong Number is not in fact any different, but it must have been lag or something. You could check an LP, even.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Jones was the best because he was functionally useless but had the best function of any mask.

"Increase Jones' gore" was the best patch note.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
What are the rules to follow to get higher scores? You get a bunch of things listed at the end of your run but it doesn't say what their relative worth is, so I never really bothered to try.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Personally I usually can't stand difficult games, mainly because I hate repeating stuff over and over again. Hotline struck this right balance of death not being too punishing due to you only losing a minute or two of progress at most so I never got too discouraged and/or bored when I died. The boss fights sucked though, but they're getting cut out in 2 so it doesn't matter anymore.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

The boss fights sucked though, but they're getting cut out in 2 so it doesn't matter anymore.

They're not, but they're going to be more along the lines of the Director in Decadence from the sounds of things.

Shame though. I honestly thought the boss fights were the highlight of the game.

Cheekio posted:

What are the rules to follow to get higher scores? You get a bunch of things listed at the end of your run but it doesn't say what their relative worth is, so I never really bothered to try.

Find a dart. Disarm a mobster and throw all weapons away. Hit him with the dart until you get 6 billion Big Balls points. :v:

Serious answer: Exposure and combos basically go up exponentially. Executions and variety are good but they're secondary factors. Zack is the best way to get a high score.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

The boss fights were the most exhausting parts of the first game for me, they took too many hits and every time you restarted you still had to sit through their little dialogue, which broke the fast-paced rhythm of how the game usually plays.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Cheekio posted:

I haven't played in a while but iirc it's just speed and executions and variety. Do the melee "finishing move" to every enemy you can, move as quickly and brazenly as you can. At the end of each level you'll see your score in each category applicable, see what different tactics give you higher scores

edit: yeah absolutely keep your combo up too. You want to do the whole level in one combo if possible, which might mean ensuring your run up the stairs/to the elevator before your combo ends

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Tin Hat posted:

The boss fights were the most exhausting parts of the first game for me, they took too many hits and every time you restarted you still had to sit through their little dialogue, which broke the fast-paced rhythm of how the game usually plays.

Hold down the right mouse button and it skips all cutscenes, including in-level dialogue.

Also, something that I just found out you can do that's hilarious: Kill the director then try to just leave, without getting the hooker. She gets indignant and it's funny as hell.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Tin Hat posted:

I dunno. The bosses didn't take many hits. The director was barely a threat as a combat shotgun meant he was no more challenging then a normal enemy. The biker was hard but my favorite part of the entire game. He just took two hits. The van you could do with a single combat shotgun, the police chief only took one hit and the last boss took 8 hits 2 per part. :shrug:

Flesnolk posted:

Hold down the right mouse button and it skips all cutscenes, including in-level dialogue.

Also, something that I just found out you can do that's hilarious: Kill the director then try to just leave, without getting the hooker. She gets indignant and it's funny as hell.

If you shotgun the director if it doesn't kill him you can go to the top floor again.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

I am one of the people who liked the boss fights, even though I had trouble figuring them out at first and didn't know I could skip the dialogue. I don't know, somehow I just appreciated the change in action, getting to fight something that wasn't just a warm body to tear through for a change, and they were kind of like a puzzle to figure out more than genuinely difficult.

Flesnolk posted:

I think the devil may be in the details here. The reaction speed of enemies follows a specific pattern, and it relates to how well you burst in on them. Essentially, they're made to be forgiving and turn/fire a bit more slowly for if you rush them after a short distance like around a corner, meaning you have the element of surprise. Meanwhile, approaching in the wrong way and giving them too much room and time to work with means they really will just turn and shoot you. Part of getting good at Hotline Miami is learning the sweet spot of how to properly bumrush enemies.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Midnight Raider posted:

Part of getting good at Hotline Miami is learning the sweet spot of how to properly bumrush enemies.
I agree, but even with the things you could learn to handle enemies without being shot, a large portion of the game's difficulty is about quick reflexes. Stuff like the melee weapon reach and swing rate make timing really important in any area where you can't go to town with a gun.

Maybe you're not a bit old like me or you play a lot of that type of twitch retro game so you have those reflexes. But for me the game became too difficult after the first couple levels. Each subsequent level took more and more time, because I could only make any progress playing it like some kind of terrible stealth game. Waiting around for every guard to be in the optimal position sucks and makes each death even more frustrating.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
If you're having problems with swinging in a melee situation then that's a motor control issue rather than reflexes. You have plenty of warning when engaging an enemy and you should fairly easily be able to predict when to swing.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Klyith posted:

Maybe you're not a bit old like me or you play a lot of that type of twitch retro game so you have those reflexes. But for me the game became too difficult after the first couple levels. Each subsequent level took more and more time, because I could only make any progress playing it like some kind of terrible stealth game. Waiting around for every guard to be in the optimal position sucks and makes each death even more frustrating.

Guess it's time for you to take up Train Simulator, old guy :shrug:.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I was getting killed before animations even played or well before there was any reasonable chance to react all the time, not to mention all the dudes who seemed to just phase right through attacks. So I think lag might've been an issue, especially since Biker had this weird tendency to just randomly more or less go Super Saiyan and never get his cleaver stuck in walls. A fun thing to do though was to use Dennis or just get a knife from a thug and advance while holding down LMB for dear life - instant purée for anyone who gets in reach!

Interesting info from the HLM twitter about the Swan siblings, though:

quote:

Hotline Miami ‏@HotlineMiami Apr 20

@M37B @GazVon The back surrenders if the front dies.

[...]

Hotline Miami ‏@HotlineMiami Apr 20

@rodrigo2406 Gun swan cannot be killed.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 23, 2014

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I don't remember if it was actually programmed in or just my perception, but in Hotline Miami enemies definitely reacted slower and more poorly when I was playing hyper-aggressively. The more you rush down on them, the better your odds of taking them. Playing it like a crappy stealth game IS bad, so don't do it! HM is meant to be a high adrenaline murder sim - you gotta keep the "high adrenaline" part going.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

I don't remember if it was actually programmed in or just my perception, but in Hotline Miami enemies definitely reacted slower and more poorly when I was playing hyper-aggressively. The more you rush down on them, the better your odds of taking them. Playing it like a crappy stealth game IS bad, so don't do it! HM is meant to be a high adrenaline murder sim - you gotta keep the "high adrenaline" part going.

It was intentional. Cactus wrote a blog post about it, once.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
"Wiffing due to lag" is likely poor aim. The melee is easy to miss with if you aren't facing the right way to bash a skull in, and occasionally looks like a wiff when it should have ZOK'd 'em.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Perturbator and a shirt of his.

Don't you just love it when you have a mental image of someone you've never seen, and then it turns out to be exactly what they look like?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
http://epn.tv/all/spotlight/nothing-wrong-in-hotline-miami-2/

New preview.

Also, E3 is going to have 'new features previewed'. :toot:

The blonde, maskless man is confirmed to be a detective.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Anatharon posted:

New preview.

The guy talking about all the licensed tracks they have has me excited to see what they choose.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Anatharon posted:

The blonde, maskless man is confirmed to be a detective.

Nope. Just that there is a detective, which we already knew. It's probably the blond guy though, yeah.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
If you're having trouble with HM1 then here's a tip: the knife is the best weapon in the game. Never stop swinging it, run at enemies with wild abandon, and remember to ABC (Always Be Cutting). It's got a ludicrously high attack rate and kills in one hit if you throw it. The knife is just terrific.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Little Blue Couch posted:

kills in one hit if you throw it

Not always.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

HORMELCHILI posted:

Not always.

It has to hit with the blade end or it'll just knock them out. So, 50/50!

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
The knife is rad and the start with knife mask is one of the easier "get me through the game" choices, up there with Tony.

But it just doesn't have the personal touch of the power drill. :unsmigghh:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Wrong Number seems to have been delayed again, from pre-PAX to probably post pax prime.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zwLQ2emY9c

A bit old but some spiffy new stuff. Apparently Ash surrenders when Alex dies and doesn't take damage herself.

e:

Also, supposedly a leaked demo link.

rip

I haven't checked it out yet, so do so at your own risk.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 18, 2014

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Anatharon posted:

I haven't checked it out yet, so do so at your own risk.

Just a note it got flagged up immediately as malware by my antivirus (Avast), so it's likely a trojan.

VV fixed

The Saddest Rhino fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Random fact: Ash AKA Swan 2, the one who talks and uses the gun is the brother, and Alex/Chainsaw/Swan 1 is the sister.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Just a note it got flagged up immediately as malware by my antivirus (Avast), so it's likely a trojan.

Too bad. You should probably edit it out of the quote too, just to be safe.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 20, 2014

• Locked thread