Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Alacron posted:

All games should have this :allears:

If it was like a minor DLC that you could grab and switch on and off I'd be legit tempted depending on what was on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
You die, I get paid / More gold, surrounding this game / It's crazy, I get more XP / By killing these fools, now ain't that funny? [Aggressive/Cruel - Major]

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Horrible Shazam-esque rapping roleplaying options confirmed!

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Drifter posted:

No, he was concerned that the update made no mention of live orchestra stuff and thought they may just be synthesizing all the music instead of recording live orchestral music.

That concern has since been put to bed, I'd say.

Was a live orchestra a stretch goal? I could have sworn it was, but looking through now I don't see it.

Airfoil fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 16, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Airfoil posted:

Was a live orchestra a stretch goal? I could have sworn it was, but looking through now I don't see it.

At $4 mil they said

quote:

OK! After much team deliberation we have one final ultimate stretch goal. At $4.0m we will be enhancing the whole game. We will use live instrumentation for the soundtrack, add developer in-game commentary, and use every dollar between $3.5m and $4m to enhance the game. Also at $4.0m Chris Avellone will be forced to play Arcanum.

So maybe not a full orchestra, but at least a couple dudes sitting and actually playing instruments in front of a mic. Or one dude at a time. But real instruments with real people.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Drifter posted:

At $4 mil they said

So maybe not a full orchestra, but at least a couple dudes sitting and actually playing instruments in front of a mic. Or one dude at a time. But real instruments with real people.

But did Avellone ever play Arcanum?

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

VanSandman posted:

But did Avellone ever play Arcanum?

https://www.youtube.com/user/ObsidianEnt/videos

He started, anyway. Not sure if he plans to finish.

Oh, that UI... I'm happy to give him a pass.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Yeah, he never made past the first town, that I remember.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Drifter posted:

Yeah, he never made past the first town, that I remember.

I'm amazed he even made it to the first town. I stopped watching when he spent twenty minutes dieing to the same pack of wolves because he couldn't figure out how fast-travel worked.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
He knew how to fast travel, he just decided to try to walk to the town without it not realizing thats not really a viable option.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Clever Spambot posted:

He knew how to fast travel, he just decided to try to walk to the town without it not realizing thats not really a viable option.

As someone who didn't play Arcanum (I own it from GoG now but I've only gone as far as making a character), this seems really silly. You can fast travel to a place you've never been no problems but it's not actually feasible to walk there? At least the Elder Scrolls games make you visit a place first.

Then again I hear Arcanum has a lot of silly things about it. I did like the silly character creation options, though. Some of those are fantastic.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010

Lotish posted:

As someone who didn't play Arcanum (I own it from GoG now but I've only gone as far as making a character), this seems really silly. You can fast travel to a place you've never been no problems but it's not actually feasible to walk there? At least the Elder Scrolls games make you visit a place first.

Then again I hear Arcanum has a lot of silly things about it. I did like the silly character creation options, though. Some of those are fantastic.

Arcanum's map works like Fallout 1 or 2, if you've played those. You slowly travel along the map and can run into encounters. The difference is that there's a bunch of empty fields in between major areas that you can walk through. You're supposed to switch to the world map and travel that way, though.

Edit: That being said, I initially made the same mistake as Chris when I first played Arcanum.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lotish posted:

If I recall the game correctly, your groupmate strongly recommends you to open your map and click on the city you are trying to travel to. I could be horribly wrong on that part, but...

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Lotish posted:

The thing about arcanum is that its "fast travel" in the same way there is fast travel in daggerfall, where you can walk somewhere but it takes literal hours of walking through empty woods. They really should have just had a screen edge that forced you onto the map screen like fallout since it is functionally the only method of moving around.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Subjunctive posted:

a wax cylinder or something?
Not anymore. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8gdhZxbuzo

Samuel Clemens posted:

I stopped watching when he spent twenty minutes dieing to the same pack of wolves because he couldn't figure out how fast-travel worked.
Hes not a dumb man. Im pretty sure this was his diabololical plan.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
I did the same thing as Avellone, eventually had to look through the manual to figure out where the map button was. The map really should have popped open when you got out of the tutorial area.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Scorchy posted:

I did the same thing as Avellone, eventually had to look through the manual to figure out where the map button was. The map really should have popped open when you got out of the tutorial area.

The button at least lit up in blue when you were in a spot where you could fast travel, so it wasn't completely hidden.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Seriously no one should have to suffer through Arcanum if they're not interested. I love the game to death, but come on.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Furism posted:

Let's not get into the discussion of digital vs analog. It's the music equivalent of PC vs Consoles.

You're going to be really mad when I inform you that most studio metal albums made in the past 15 years pretty much completely replace the drummer's actual recorded drums with samples because they sound better.

:dealwithit:

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

HotCanadianChick posted:

You're going to be really mad when I inform you that most studio metal albums made in the past 15 years pretty much completely replace the drummer's actual recorded drums with samples because they sound better.

That's not really accurate, it's mostly because at the absurdly fast tempos metal bands want to play at, when you try and record a real drummer all the different parts of the kit just bleed together, making the recording sound messy, no matter what extremes the sound engineers go to with isolating each part of the kit. Also, 'better' in this case means 'what people expect metal drumming to sound like', which is entirely subjective. Even the very best symphonic wind, and brass sample libraries tend to sound boring, and lacking in vibrancy and colour compared to real musicians. Good string section samples are often hard to distinguish from actual recordings, but that is not the case in the track we've heard from PE so far.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Scorchy posted:

It kinda does. When you exit the crash site, just before the wolves, Virgil initiates a conversation with you and asks if you want to open your map. One of your responses is [Open the World Map] and the other is something like "Nah, I'm good".

That said, Avellone knew about that but he chose to walk there and kill the wolves. You can kill them as a first level character, but you kinda need to know what you are doing.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I always hated that Arcanum's random encounters would send you up against poo poo early on that you can't possibly flee from or easily fight if you're not specced a certain way. Fun game, but a lot of dumb decisions like that were made.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Disco Infiva posted:

It kinda does. When you exit the crash site, just before the wolves, Virgil initiates a conversation with you and asks if you want to open your map. One of your responses is [Open the World Map] and the other is something like "Nah, I'm good".

That said, Avellone knew about that but he chose to walk there and kill the wolves. You can kill them as a first level character, but you kinda need to know what you are doing.
Actually what happened was that Virgil brought up the fast travel thing, Avellone tried it and he couldn't fast-travel from the point he was standing on (not close enough to the "edge" of the current map). At this point he seemingly decided that fast travel simply doesn't work at all.

Arcanum has a lot of nice qualities, but it's not exactly the most intuitively designed game.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Disco Infiva posted:

Even then, the fact that you're given the option not to fast travel implies that you don't need to. I made the mistake of trying not to too.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Woebin posted:

Arcanum has a lot of nice qualities, but it's not exactly the most intuitively designed game.

This is so painfully true. :(

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

El Pollo Blanco posted:

That's not really accurate, it's mostly because at the absurdly fast tempos metal bands want to play at, when you try and record a real drummer all the different parts of the kit just bleed together, making the recording sound messy, no matter what extremes the sound engineers go to with isolating each part of the kit.

Yes, it sounds better. Good to see we're on the same page.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

HotCanadianChick posted:

Some of them are moving back to tape.

In any case, anybody curious about the digital vs analog recording should watch Dave Grohl's Sound City.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Furism posted:

Some of them are moving back to tape.

In any case, anybody curious about the digital vs analog recording should watch Dave Grohl's Sound City.

Moving back to tape is the musician equivalent of riding a fixie bike, smoking e-cigs, drinking PBR, and wearing 'ironically bad' fashion; hipster nonsense, pining for the days before everything was ruined and became uncool (this never happened).

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

gently caress a good sound, crust or nothing imo. That goes for PoE soundtrack too. Especially the Poe soundtrack

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

AXE COP posted:

You die, I get paid / More gold, surrounding this game / It's crazy, I get more XP / By killing these fools, now ain't that funny? [Aggressive/Cruel - Major]

Look around tell me what do you see?/ A chanter now get like me/ its a quest in parts of three/ and its all being done in P-O-E

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart

HotCanadianChick posted:

Moving back to tape is the musician equivalent of riding a fixie bike, smoking e-cigs, drinking PBR, and wearing 'ironically bad' fashion; hipster nonsense, pining for the days before everything was ruined and became uncool (this never happened).

Technically one 'vapes' e-cigs, but I'll tip my actual hat to you on the rest.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Given I remember someone wanted the feature because they wanted to play the game solo eventually, rope kid confirmed in a PC Gamer interview that Pillars of Eternity will use a sliding experience system, aka "the less characters you have in your party, the more XP they get":

el kido ropo posted:

PC Gamer: Party combat is a big part of the game, but you’ve also said it’s possible to play the game solo. Do you think this will be fun, or is it for masochists only?

Josh Sawyer: It’ll be hard. I’m sure people will find certain classes and builds that will make it easier than others. Especially once you’ve already played through the game, and you have the metagame knowledge, it becomes a lot easier. I think the enjoyment comes from the fact that it’s a unique challenge on its own. Some people will say, I don’t know how to play through this whole game with a priest or a wizard, but I’m going to figure out how to do it. It will be pretty challenging, especially at certain points. We’re planning to use a sliding experience system, so if you have a single character they’ll gain levels more quickly than if they were with an entire party.

If you don’t want to have six characters in your party you can have four, or two, or you can just go by yourself. We’re not discouraging this, but also the combat isn’t balanced around it. You can try it, but we’re not going to spend time figuring out if it’s viable to play through the whole game with a single character. It should be possible, but we’re not putting a lot of time into it.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Has rope kid/Obsidian said anything about an experience or level cap?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

SoggyBobcat posted:

Has rope kid/Obsidian said anything about an experience or level cap?

I think a few previews mentioned it caps around level 12.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
That's great. I soloed BG1 and BG2 both by preference so this is goodie gumdrops.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I think a few previews mentioned it caps around level 12.
Yep.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm guessing Companion perma-death can be toggled in the difficulty options. I wonder what else can be fiddled with to make the game more challenging.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'm guessing Companion perma-death can be toggled in the difficulty options. I wonder what else can be fiddled with to make the game more challenging.

If I recall correctly IIRC there will be a number of options (Ironman, HUD hint options for dialog, etc.)

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Aw, I love to level often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Kuiperdolin posted:

Aw, I love to level often.
Opposite. I like to kind of settle into a level zone and see how it plays as-is. Rapid-leveling just leads to a "rush to the end" situation that I dont like as well.

• Locked thread