Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyarai
Jul 19, 2012

Jenn here.

mdemone posted:

I dearly hope that's real and I need to know the context.

GIS points to no.

Supreme Court Upholds Freedom Of Speech In Obscenity-Filled Ruling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

What do you mean, The Onion is America's Finest News Source.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

The thing is, I can totally see RBG double-birding someone on camera, just to demonstrate that she don't give a gently caress.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

mdemone posted:

Isn't that sort of the point? One should in principle be able to divine what a justice's opinion will be (in the broadest of strokes) for the large majority of case-types, given their past jurisprudence on similar subjects. Easy to do with Thomas, not so easy with Scalia because his jurisprudence changes depending on the political locus of the case, since he is a nasty, brutish little gently caress. Of course I may be wrong or misguided in claiming that justices should be predictable.

vvv Ha! there it is! vvv

"Surprise" was the wrong word. My point was his 4th amendment positions (as further argued by Green Crayons) seem to conflict with the "he's just a conservative ideologue" argument.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

KernelSlanders posted:

"Surprise" was the wrong word. My point was his 4th amendment positions (as further argued by Green Crayons) seem to conflict with the "he's just a conservative ideologue" argument.

Most intellectual conservatives have idiosyncratic positions. It's how they assure themselves that they are not toeing a party line.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

SedanChair posted:

Most intellectual conservatives have idiosyncratic positions. It's how they assure themselves that they are not toeing a party line.

And the 4th Amendment is Scalia's one idiosyncratic position, but even there it seems mostly driven by distrust of government/worry they're going to watch him showering (read Kyllo).

Don't worry, Nino - I guarantee NO ONE wants to see you in the shower.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Sotomayor is easily the best justice in the history of the country already, so Obama done good.

I know-little and just observe of the thread, but what makes her such a great justice?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mr. Nice! posted:

The president is given power by Article II section 2 to appoint supreme court justices, ambassadors, etc with the "advice and consent of the senate."

It goes no further to specify how that consent is to proceed. The houses have the ability to set their own rules with some restrictions, and the filibuster is just one of those rules. The filibuster is not at all a part of the constitution. It's merely a senate procedural rule.

At the least, consent would imply a majority voting to support the judge being put on the bench. A POTUS couldn't just say "hey Senate what do you think of this person? Ok well I'm putting them on the bench thanks for the chat!" The filibuster is dumb as poo poo and the next time either party controls both houses of congress and the presidency it will hopefully be wiped out completely even if the senate minority doesn't play obstructionist games.

It'd be nice to see whomever the next justice is would be a life-long defense attorney, or even from somewhere other than the usual Ivy League schools. A justice who has had a long career of "this justice system works in the hope that all are guilty and fucks those without the money to fight back the hardest" would be nice.

Hell I'd settle for Thomas getting investigated and potentially charged with ethics violations from his inability to recuse himself from cases involving parties he and/or his lobbying wife have varying relationships with. It's not quite as bad as enemy companies buying judges in West Virgina but he's got time to reach that point.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

A Winner is Jew posted:

Second best, but yeah.

Username post combo.

Didn't she also take a break for some serious medical condition? If I were strategerizing, I'd want her to step down immediately while the Ds control the Senate and the white house.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ron Jeremy posted:

Username post combo.

Didn't she also take a break for some serious medical condition? If I were strategerizing, I'd want her to step down immediately while the Ds control the Senate and the white house.

People have been pushing for her to retire for that reason and she's having none of it.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Fluffy posted:

It'd be nice to see whomever the next justice is would be a life-long defense attorney, or even from somewhere other than the usual Ivy League schools. A justice who has had a long career of "this justice system works in the hope that all are guilty and fucks those without the money to fight back the hardest" would be nice.

No defense attorney could ever be confirmed, not in a million billion years. What senator, R or D, is going to vote for the guy who got X murderer or Y rapist off?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Ron Jeremy posted:

Username post combo.

She can still take any of the other justices in a fight.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
What if they were a not very good defense attorney?

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

UberJew posted:

No defense attorney could ever be confirmed, not in a million billion years. What senator, R or D, is going to vote for the guy who got X murderer or Y rapist off?

Redux Taft. Put Bill Clinton on the court.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Evil Fluffy posted:

At the least, consent would imply a majority voting to support the judge being put on the bench. A POTUS couldn't just say "hey Senate what do you think of this person? Ok well I'm putting them on the bench thanks for the chat!" The filibuster is dumb as poo poo and the next time either party controls both houses of congress and the presidency it will hopefully be wiped out completely even if the senate minority doesn't play obstructionist games.

Hell I'd settle for Thomas getting investigated and potentially charged with ethics violations from his inability to recuse himself from cases involving parties he and/or his lobbying wife have varying relationships with. It's not quite as bad as enemy companies buying judges in West Virgina but he's got time to reach that point.

Congressional rules have nothing to do with the president. There are certain things they can't set themselves, such as the ability to dismiss representatives at a whim, but the houses make their own rules otherwise. Things like the senate filibuster are 100% senate rules and the house or president have zero ability to change or directly influence.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ron Jeremy posted:

And then Barack.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Evil Fluffy posted:

This could lead to Really Bad Things if it happened, like the total destabilization of the US government.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

hobbesmaster posted:

And then Barack.

Replace Antonin Scalia with Barack Obama. :kheldragar:

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

evilweasel posted:

I mean you'd ideally want Thomas because he's the youngest so you're getting a replacement ahead of schedule, but I'd rather get rid of Scalia because Thomas actually has a legal philosophy, just one I profoundly disagree with. Scalia has a political philosophy, and the right legal answer is always what is in line with that legal philosophy. Thomas will bite the bullet and vote for something he politically disagrees with: Scalia will not. The best example is where Scalia suddenly realized although the commerce clause is the devil, when it comes to the Devil's Weed then it's suddenly ok for the Federal Government to regulate it - but not anything Scalia doesn't want regulated.

Also, Thomas's lone dissents, while occasionally nutty, are sometimes useful for pointing out stagnant areas of the law that have just been the way they are because they're old but really should be rethought (like his crusade to resurrect the privileges and immunities clause).

Wanting to replace someone other than Thomas also makes sense because he's not an especially influential justice. If a close commerce clause case comes along, Roberts/Alito/Scalia/Kennedy might be able to convince Roberts or Kennedy to join a majority (depending on which one is on the fence) - Thomas is always going to be out on his island screaming "overturn the last century of commerce clause precedents" and convincing nobody.

Not My Leg fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 26, 2014

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

At the least, consent would imply a majority voting to support the judge being put on the bench.

Technically, consent is whatever the Senate says it is. If the Senate decided consent meant "you asked us and we didn't have a majority vote no" then that's what it would mean.

It's just that no Senate ever will give up the right to approve major nominations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ron Jeremy posted:

Then get an agreement that Clinton will recuse himself from cases where he's getting blowjobs from one side, if Thomas will do the same for cases when he's getting money.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 26, 2014

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Replacing Kennedy would end the 5-4 decisions giving corporations more rights. He has continuously sided with 'corporate rights' since Roberts took over

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

Replacing Kennedy would end the 5-4 decisions giving corporations more rights. He has continuously sided with 'corporate rights' since Roberts took over

So would replacing Scalia.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
I personally hope Alito pulls a Pope Benedict, realizes he is terrible at his job and will never leave a lasting impression, and quits

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Congressional rules have nothing to do with the president. There are certain things they can't set themselves, such as the ability to dismiss representatives at a whim, but the houses make their own rules otherwise. Things like the senate filibuster are 100% senate rules and the house or president have zero ability to change or directly influence.

It means that when l one party has control of every veto point of law making, the filibuster will be written out of the rules. Sure, that could happen with just control of the Senate as neither the executive branch or the house needs to approve Senate rule changes but it wouldn't gain you anything then.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Emanuel Collective posted:

I personally hope Alito pulls a Pope Benedict, realizes he is terrible at his job and will never leave a lasting impression, and quits

Does that mean that he'll be Supreme Court Justice Emeritus? Will he still be allowed to hang out at the Supreme Court like Benedict does at the Vatican?

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

evilweasel posted:

So would replacing Scalia.

I think the idea is that Kennedy might be slightly more likely to allow a Democratic President to replace him (assuming he has the choice), but Scalia never will.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

amanasleep posted:

The Roberts dissent may make a bit of sense until you read the Sotomayor dissent dissent.

I disagree. Roberts' dissent is the correct result under the statute as it is, Sotomayor's is closer to the correct result from a consequential standpoint, and the majority opinion is a garbage pile of factors and assorted nonsense. Bad statutes create bad results, but the Court shouldn't throw a patch on a defective statute by creating some multifactor test. Nor should it rewrite the statute to create a fairer result. The statute, as written and interpreted in Roberts' dissent, is inadvisable--not absurd.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ThirdPartyView posted:

Does that mean that he'll be Supreme Court Justice Emeritus? Will he still be allowed to hang out at the Supreme Court like Benedict does at the Vatican?

Already happened. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_O._Douglas#Retirement

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Omerta posted:

I disagree. Roberts' dissent is the correct result under the statute as it is, Sotomayor's is closer to the correct result from a consequential standpoint, and the majority opinion is a garbage pile of factors and assorted nonsense. Bad statutes create bad results, but the Court shouldn't throw a patch on a defective statute by creating some multifactor test. Nor should it rewrite the statute to create a fairer result. The statute, as written and interpreted in Roberts' dissent, is inadvisable--not absurd.

I am persuaded by Sotomayor's contention that Congress reasonably legislated that joint and several liability should trump other considerations for the defendants. And her solution that payment schedules can deal with differences in means between defendants seems well supported.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

FlamingLiberal posted:

IIRC the Roberts court hasn't "given corporations more rights" except using a tortured reading of that phrase.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

IIRC the Roberts court hasn't "given corporations more rights" except using a tortured reading of that phrase.

Then you aren't remembering correctly, full stop. Between their expansion of money as speech, restricting the definition of corruption, and clamping down on Class Actions they absolutely have been expanding the power of corporations

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

evilweasel posted:

If the Republicans hold the Senate, they can just vote down anyone (or refuse to hold a vote on them). The Constitution does require the consent of the Senate and so it's not like the filibuster issue where you can argue you're violating the spirit of the Constitution: the Senate absolutely has the right to vote down a nominee.

My reading comprehension has been off the charts lately. Just in the wrong direction. :downs:

I was thinking more if the Dems retain control, though, and all that answered my questions. Thanks!

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Rygar201 posted:

Between their expansion of money as speech,

Not done by the Roberts Court.

"We cannot share the view that the present Act's contribution and expenditure limitations are comparable to the restrictions on conduct upheld in O'Brien. The expenditure of money simply cannot be equated with such conduct as destruction of a draft card. Some forms of communication made possible by the giving and spending of money involve speech alone, some involve conduct primarily, and some involve a combination of the two. Yet this Court has never suggested that the dependence of a communication on the expenditure of money operates itself to introduce a non speech element or to reduce the exacting scrutiny required by the First Amendment." Buckley v. Valeo, 424 US 1, 16 (1976).

quote:

restricting the definition of corruption,

?

quote:

and clamping down on Class Actions they absolutely have been expanding the power of corporations

Again, only using a tortured reading. The AT&T Mobility v. Concepcion decision found that state laws forbidding class action waiver contracts were preempted by the Federal Arbitration Act. Blame Congress leaving lovely laws on the books.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Rygar201 posted:

Then you aren't remembering correctly, full stop. Between their expansion of money as speech, restricting the definition of corruption, and clamping down on Class Actions they absolutely have been expanding the power of corporations

Beyond what Kiwi Ghost Chips says about the specific cases, there's a meaningful distinction between giving corporations rights and giving them more power.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Rygar201 posted:

It means that when l one party has control of every veto point of law making, the filibuster will be written out of the rules. Sure, that could happen with just control of the Senate as neither the executive branch or the house needs to approve Senate rule changes but it wouldn't gain you anything then.

I doubt that. The problem with ending the filibuster is that since it only takes a simple majority to end and continues to exist entirely because of tradition, the minute a majority party ends it, it's gone forever. Neither party is going to risk giving up the ability to ever filibuster ever again just for eight years of total dominance; there would need to be a major political realignment such that the party in power could potentially and realistically hold power for decades.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Again, only using a tortured reading. The AT&T Mobility v. Concepcion decision found that state laws forbidding class action waiver contracts were preempted by the Federal Arbitration Act. Blame Congress leaving lovely laws on the books.

It's not just Concepcion, it's Dukes, and then you've got the generalization of the specific context of Twombly to everything in Iqbal, which is (doctrinally) boring a fuckhole into Rule 8 (though judges may in fact be self-correcting on that).

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

The Warszawa posted:

It's not just Concepcion, it's Dukes, and then you've got the generalization of the specific context of Twombly to everything in Iqbal, which is (doctrinally) boring a fuckhole into Rule 8 (though judges may in fact be self-correcting on that).

Not everything yet - patent trolls still get to do Form 18 pleading instead of meeting Twombly. Speaking as someone who does defensive patent lit for a living, I wish Twombly applied. (loving Fed Cir.)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I believe the statement from Chief Justice Roberts was along the lines "if you can't prove an explicit quid pro quo was involved, then there is no reason to think that handing a guy a couple pallets of cash, followed by him MYSTERIOUSLY introducing the exact bill you wanted a month later, had anything what-so-ever to do with each other."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah, continuing to fix up the Fed Circuit should be a high priority for the White House right now. It's really incredible how much damage regulated industry has been able to do there over the past few years.