Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
There's our "Billions and billions" quota.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Hmm, never heard of a hypernova.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

pik_d posted:

Hmm, never heard of a hypernova.

He said it so it must be a thing.

Also if it does occur in our lifetime it's gonna be loving awesome because all those places like NASA are gonna have high powered telescopes pointed right at it and recording the whole thing so we can watch it on youtube forever.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

joe football posted:

Model rocketry such an extreme pursuit that it's endorsed by both red bull and mountain dew, who knew

High-Power Rocketry requires a BATF license, and secure storage for your engines. EXTREEEEEEEEEMMMMMMMMME

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Congrats Kayla, but maybe get a better camera

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I want the hypernova to happen so drat bad now.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

That must be some drat good vino...

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Robnoxious posted:

That must be some drat good vino...

Carl woulda done that scene in Colorado or Washington

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

"Clean energy falling like mana"

I see what you did there, Neil.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
"A still more glorious dawn awaits" :allears:

Chert next week!!!

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Carl woulda done that scene in Colorado or Washington

But what of our kinship with the trees? :420:

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

BrideOfUglycat posted:

"Clean energy falling like mana"

I see what you did there, Neil.

Sun-worshipping pagan idolatry and solar power propaganda :argh:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Has anyone nominated genesplicer for science teacher of the week?

howe_sam posted:

I want the hypernova to happen so drat bad now.
Along the same line, Betelgeuse may go supernova anytime in the next million years and will be visible during the day when it happens. I hope I get to see it.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Did you notice how NdT double parked his Spaceship of the Imagination at Ayers Rock?
I'm so tempted to leave a note on his imaginashield.

What an rear end in a top hat! :argh:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That energy goes into the leaves of this cannabis plant. Then I smoke it and get high as gently caress.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Robnoxious posted:

Did you notice how NdT double parked his Spaceship of the Imagination at Ayers Rock?

I'm sure it has an SEP field.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm just catching up and all but I gotta say that dewdrop sequence in last week's episode was loving crazy. Is it just targigrades that live in dew drops or is there, like, a whole spectrum of life forms living in a tiny bubble of water?

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Robnoxious posted:

Dear Sir,
I don't mean to be rude, but I imagine you could have found a better place to park.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I'm just catching up and all but I gotta say that dewdrop sequence in last week's episode was loving crazy. Is it just targigrades that live in dew drops or is there, like, a whole spectrum of life forms living in a tiny bubble of water?

Whole spectrums. There's probably more microscopic life on Earth than there is life we can see with the naked eye.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.
That galaxy-rise was loving amazing! I want that view so badly.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do these views exist? There have been times where I've seen a faint band of white in the sky and someone says "That's the milky way." Didn't make much sense to me, but I've never seen anything like pictures I've seen.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Do these views exist? There have been times where I've seen a faint band of white in the sky and someone says "That's the milky way." Didn't make much sense to me, but I've never seen anything like pictures I've seen.

We're inside the milky way so from our perspective it looks like a band wrapping around the sky, similar to looking at a doughnut from inside the hole. If you get somewhere dark enough, Andromeda is pretty visible with the naked eye and shows up great if you have a camera that takes longish exposures.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
This is a show I would want to see on a big screen, like a fill size IMAX screen. Unfortunately, since IMAX film is so expensive, we won't get that.

MustelaFuro
May 6, 2007

Evolution: Reproduction of the fit enough.

Cojawfee posted:

If our solar system were roughly the same distance from the center of our galaxy, but perpendicular to the plain of the galaxy the view of the night sky would be unfathomably gorgeous.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

The Sagittarius Dwarf Elliptical Galaxy spins around/through the Milky Way in a polar orbit and probably has a trail of stars trickling behind as our galaxy's tides tear at it.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

Robnoxious posted:

Marlee Matlin is totally gonna win an Emmy for her voice overwork on this program, right?

Hah, right when she started talking I just thought "Joey Lucas!"

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Anybody have a link to the bit in the episode a couple of weeks ago talking about spectroscopy? It was really effective, does a hell of a better job explaining it than I can and my g/f is curious since it relates to what is happening in this episode.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

That was probably my favorite episode yet.

e; NDT where did the other Two Hundred Billion Suns go??? :argh:

Unibrow
May 12, 2001

When they smash cut from him chugging vino to him piloting the Spaceship of the Imagination, I was hoping to see him either rear-end an asteroid or get pulled over by the Space Police. :cop:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Galaxy rise owns. I hope those extragalactic aliens appreciate the view we're giving them.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
One thing's for sure, their name for our galaxy will be lot more impressive then "Milky Way".

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Not a big fan of NDT's soft voice like he's letting us in on a secret but that was a great episode with beautiful visuals.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
This probably isn't the best thread to ask in, but this show has inspired me to upgrade my cheap, beat-up Meade telescope for something better. I have up to $500 (although would be more comfortable around $200-$300) and live on a tall hill in rural Ohio with a practically uninterrupted view of the sky. My 'telescoping' skill level is beginner I would say, and I also have a 6 year that will want to use it with my help, so durability is a consideration. Any recommendations?

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 28, 2014

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Dr.Caligari posted:

This probably isn't the best thread to ask in, but this show has inspired me to upgrade my cheap, beat-up Meade telescope for something better. I have up to $500 (although would be more comfortable around $200-$300) and live on a tall hill in rural Ohio with a practically uninterrupted view of the sky. My 'telescoping' skill level is beginner I would say, and I also have a 6 year that will want to use it with my help, so durability is a consideration. Any recommendations?

This might be a better place, but in my own experience: I got an 8" Dobsonian from Orion and that's been awesome even in a light polluted city in my back yard. The downside of course to the Dob is the size, but it's generally the best bang for your buck. There are smaller format telescopes with similar light catching capabilites (Schmidt-Cassegrain), but you'll pay more for them.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Diatoms are really common in any amount of exposed water and the diatoms themselves are a whole spectrum of their own.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Unibrow posted:

When they smash cut from him chugging vino to him piloting the Spaceship of the Imagination, I was hoping to see him either rear-end an asteroid or get pulled over by the Space Police. :cop:

What do you think powers the Spaceship of the Imagination!

In vino veritas

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

dedian posted:

This might be a better place, but in my own experience: I got an 8" Dobsonian from Orion and that's been awesome even in a light polluted city in my back yard. The downside of course to the Dob is the size, but it's generally the best bang for your buck. There are smaller format telescopes with similar light catching capabilites (Schmidt-Cassegrain), but you'll pay more for them.

This is a correct post. Those 8" F/6 Orion Dobsonians are the best telescope value imaginable. They resolve planets and deep-sky stuff equally well.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Reminder that for all your galaxy rises and other exotic cosmic needs, SpaceEngine (thread here) is free and awesome.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Another angle would be to look into finding out if you've got a local astronomy club. It lets you test out other people's equipment and some of the bigger ones have loaners you can play with while you're trying to figure out what sort of equipment you like and, really, if you enjoy it before you go in with a lot of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

See the Backbone of the Sky episode from the original series. On a clear night away from city lights I have seen it with my bare eyes.

Edit: Backbone of the Night

• Locked thread