Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

quote:

xzzy posted:

Hmm, I'm stuck driving the slowest version of an already comically underpowered car. Yep some rims will fix that right up!

Finally, a car I can beat in a straight line that isn't a diesel Mercedes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Das Volk posted:

Home-made slicks are all the rage here.

Something tells me that tyre is only going to be replaced when the tyre shop refuses to fix the puncture.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Imperador do Brasil posted:

I am seriously considering putting Classic/Antique plates on my Miata next year when it turns 25.

I wanted to do this with my Explorer in a couple years, but I was informed there was an annual mileage limit, when I was talking to the agent about it.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

West SAAB Story posted:

It can be if the airbags don't deploy. :haw:

Anyhow, I'm done. I'll endure a lot, but being told I am completely full of poo poo when I'm stuck living it, I won't tolerate. So, yeah.. anyhow:

Up for grabs is a Silverado that they only want $10k for. In Methville.

Just needs paint and shocks. [...] I have over a thousand in ac and $5k in lift.

That may be what you paid..

Ha. He bought those tires from a guy I work with, I believe.

There are soooooo many of those trucks kicking around Lyon county.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Ha. He bought those tires from a guy I work with, I believe.

There are soooooo many of those trucks kicking around Lyon county.

It really was kind of hard deciding on which one, but the text did it for me.

Also, this beauty in Phoenix (no pictures - just this):

2001 Saab 9-5 Aero - $2450 (1601 E Highland Ave, Unit 1185)

condition: fair

2001 Saab 9-5 sedan odometer: 186000 automatic transmission title : clean

2001 9-5 Aero, Red. 186,000 Mi. Fair Cond. Runs well. One owner. Will go Antique in a couple of years. Will definitely increase in value then. Eng. and Trans. in very good cond.

Uhhhh.. No. Not for a couple of years.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

West SAAB Story posted:

Will go Antique in a couple of years. Will definitely increase in value then.

This loving poo poo is so stupid. Right before I left Sears we got a new tech who drove a 4th-gen Camaro, either a 94 or 95 based on the powertrain. 3.4L V6, 4L60E automatic, white, convertible.

He's investing in the car until it gets its antique tags, at which point it will of course be worth at least $25k.

I dunno about other states, but in Florida antique requires your car be 30 years old, so he's committing to keeping this leaky shitpile on the road for another ten years, minimum.

I guess it's true what they say about a fool and his money.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Fucknag posted:

This loving poo poo is so stupid. Right before I left Sears we got a new tech who drove a 4th-gen Camaro, either a 94 or 95 based on the powertrain. 3.4L V6, 4L60E automatic, white, convertible.

He's investing in the car until it gets its antique tags, at which point it will of course be worth at least $25k.

I dunno about other states, but in Florida antique requires your car be 30 years old, so he's committing to keeping this leaky shitpile on the road for another ten years, minimum.

I guess it's true what they say about a fool and his money.

My supra is 31 this year :)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

SaNChEzZ posted:

My supra is 31 this year :)

Supras are desirable.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I could get antique plates for my Celica, cars only have to be 25 here to qualify (it's 28). One time $50 fee and then you never have to do poo poo with the registration again, or get it inspected, and you can run only a rear plate if you want. But they come with a super-strict mileage and usage requirement, like you can only drive the car to and from shows/shops or for "short, infrequent trips of less than 250 miles". The other option is "vintage" plates, which have no such penalties, but I'd need to find a set of plates from my car's model year.

fakeaccount
Jun 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Wolfsbane posted:

Healthcare/terrible car poo poo crossover.

Check out Frenchy here with his AMBULANS. I bet you pronounce garage with a soft g, and a limp wrist.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Yea those are classic plates

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
While playing Ingress, a friend found this.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

`Nemesis posted:

Yea those are classic plates

I'm glad they don't do dealer tags like that on the West Coast. Just plate frames.
Another thing that didn't seem to catch on here: the gold lettering of the late 90s.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

CharlesM posted:

I'm glad they don't do dealer tags like that on the West Coast. Just plate frames.
Another thing that didn't seem to catch on here: the gold lettering of the late 90s.

A dealership once slapped a decal on the back of a car that I had brought to them for a service - a car that had fully custom paint and a lot of bodywork, that I hadn't bought from them.

Yes, I was an idiot for taking a car I cared about to a dealership for service. It was satisfying when they paid for my bodyshop to repaint the trunklid from metal, though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sofullofhate posted:

A dealership once slapped a decal on the back of a car that I had brought to them for a service - a car that had fully custom paint and a lot of bodywork, that I hadn't bought from them.

Yes, I was an idiot for taking a car I cared about to a dealership for service. It was satisfying when they paid for my bodyshop to repaint the trunklid from metal, though.

What the gently caress? How fast did you lose your cool when you saw that decal?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

mad.radhu posted:

Track day bro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqVJKPUVcLw&t=238s

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Something tells me that tyre is only going to be replaced when the tyre shop refuses to fix the puncture.

Shouldn't be long, I think I see the "canvas".

Fattig
Oct 10, 2012

fakeaccount posted:

Check out Frenchy here with his AMBULANS. I bet you pronounce garage with a soft g, and a limp wrist.

Well if by "Frenchy" you mean "Sweedy", then yes, that sounds about right.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Are you implying that there is a difference between "Europe" and "Europe"?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
"Scandinavia" is different from "Europe", yes. Just don't go splitting hairs about Sweden, Daneland, Lapland, Valhalla, etc.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

sofullofhate posted:

Man I lost my poo poo when an independent I went to for service put a license plate frame on without asking me. I think I'd be boiling the service manager alive with an O/A torch if he'd done that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

When I had the rear bumper replaced after a small accident, the mechanic put his own license plate frame on it, rather than the one that was on the old bumper.

I'm sort of ambivalent about it, because they also screwed on the frame+plate properly, in accordance with the upcoming legislation which states that license plates must be securely fastened with screws or rivets. So they saved me a bit of work in that regard.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Chinatown posted:

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/

There is so much bad, terrible, laughable poo poo on those forums its really quite entertaining. The older the model the worse it gets.

Bit late, but my IP has been banned from that website. I've never been to that website before.

Doesnt sound like im missing much.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Fortunately I drive such a turd that if I ever brought it to a shop they'd make sure to not put a sticker on it to avoid being guilty by association.

The only thing I have done by the pros is bonded-in glass, though. Mostly because by the time I have a windshield shipped to me and buy the urethane and trim ring I've spent 50 bucks more than just having it done while I sit around surfing the net on my phone.

Speaking of which: terrible car stuff = rockauto shipping these days. EIGHT WAREHOUSES WHAT THE gently caress (and I tried to minimize it, too.)

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

kastein posted:

Fortunately I drive such a turd that if I ever brought it to a shop they'd make sure to not put a sticker on it to avoid being guilty by association.

The only thing I have done by the pros is bonded-in glass, though. Mostly because by the time I have a windshield shipped to me and buy the urethane and trim ring I've spent 50 bucks more than just having it done while I sit around surfing the net on my phone.

Speaking of which: terrible car stuff = rockauto shipping these days. EIGHT WAREHOUSES WHAT THE gently caress (and I tried to minimize it, too.)

Yeah what the hell - judging by the magnets on my toolbox I could probably benefit from a Prime like system. These dozen warehouses alone have stopped me from ordering things which should be easy impulses but instead are shipping taxed out of my price range. I've wanted some spark plugs, new mirrors, LED ID bar, an ATF Filter, a half dozen oil filters and a new coolant tank (with working sensor) for about a year now.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Rhyno posted:

What the gently caress? How fast did you lose your cool when you saw that decal?

I peaked my poo poo-losing about 10 minutes after seeing it - when a mechanic came out with an Olfa knife to remove it.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Man I lost my poo poo when an independent I went to for service put a license plate frame on without asking me. I think I'd be boiling the service manager alive with an O/A torch if he'd done that.

The service manager was unrepentant. Had to work with the owner, who insisted that I let their body guys try to fix it first. Two weeks and terrible swirls visible from loving space ("you guys seriously power polished it? I told you the clear is three weeks old.") later, he relented and told my shop to do whatever they needed to and they'd pay. So yeah, new paint for the trunklid.

Ahh, back in the stupid kid days, when blowing $10k on paint seemed like a "good investment". Sold that car for $7,500, of course.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

sofullofhate posted:

I peaked my poo poo-losing about 10 minutes after seeing it - when a mechanic came out with an Olfa knife to remove it.

The service manager was unrepentant. Had to work with the owner, who insisted that I let their body guys try to fix it first. Two weeks and terrible swirls visible from loving space ("you guys seriously power polished it? I told you the clear is three weeks old.") later, he relented and told my shop to do whatever they needed to and they'd pay. So yeah, new paint for the trunklid.

Ahh, back in the stupid kid days, when blowing $10k on paint seemed like a "good investment". Sold that car for $7,500, of course.

Could you post a picture of said car?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I had no idea sneaking badges on cars that were in for maintenance was a thing. I'd be livid if that happened to my car.

Last time I bought new as soon as the salesman and I got out of the haggling phase I warned him I'd walk if there was any logos on the car other than ones the manufacturer attached. I've heard of people getting a discount for mentioning dealer logos but it isn't worth it to me, I want my car pristine. :colbert:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I spent forever getting the sticker off of my wife's car, and she does not understand why I disliked it so. I'm not even sure why I don't like it, other than the advertising.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

StormDrain posted:

I spent forever getting the sticker off of my wife's car, and she does not understand why I disliked it so. I'm not even sure why I don't like it, other than the advertising.
Don't advertise on me unless you are paying me.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

sofullofhate posted:

Can you elaborate a bit. I'm not understanding how putting a sticker on the back of the car required a repaint.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

veedubfreak posted:

Can you elaborate a bit. I'm not understanding how putting a sticker on the back of the car required a repaint.

sofullofhate posted:

They damaged the paint removing it.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
I had a dealership service team replace my licence plate frame with their own. The kicker? Mine was a brand-less metal one and theirs was poo poo. I asked them to put it back and it turned out that they had tossed it into the bin out back.

They spent 20 mins trying to fish the frame out of the dumpster.

Same dealership did this to my girlfriend who had no frame at all.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

OSI bean dip posted:

I had a dealership service team replace my licence plate frame with their own. The kicker? Mine was a brand-less metal one and theirs was poo poo. I asked them to put it back and it turned out that they had tossed it into the bin out back.

They spent 20 mins trying to fish the frame out of the dumpster.

Same dealership did this to my girlfriend who had no frame at all.

Couldn't she climb out of the dumpster herself?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The new Toyota Supra Stuckbro.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Das Volk posted:

Home-made slicks are all the rage here.

Slavvy posted:

Something tells me that tyre is only going to be replaced when the tyre shop refuses to fix the puncture spectacularly flies apart and sends that car careening towards the concrete divider, while the steel-belted remains smack the windshield of the car behind it.

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

sofullofhate posted:

This is how I picked up my STI in 2008..can you guess which dealership?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

shoopeach posted:

This is how I picked up my STI in 2008..can you guess which dealership?

There's gotta be over a thousand Subaru dealerships across the US & Canada, man. You gotta give us some sort of hint...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

That thread title... ouch.

I'm predicting the next terrible car trend is WAY overstyled LED DRLs. In my area I am sick of seeing Acura and Lexus cars, since they seem to be the ones with the most noticably obnoxious LED DRLs, but yesterday I had a new Jaguar XF in my rear view mirror and I did a mental pity facepalm for the trying-too-hard overstyling:

This poo poo is going to get old in a hurry. It's staring to look like a long-exposure photo where people are running around randomly with lights.

Also, new Acura MDXs with LED headlights are obnoxious when you're swept by them, too.

This post brought to you by an obviously grump old man. Give me back my T3s, damnit.