Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
omg yues

but that makes me realise the scope of what i think i am trying to achieve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.flickr.com/photos/funnypolynomial/sets/72157627738613990/

woah hily fuckiny suck i think this is a bit beyond my pay grade

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

echinopsis posted:

i think this is a bit beyond my pay grade

the circuit itself, or the case?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

echinopsis posted:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/funnypolynomial/sets/72157627738613990/

woah hily fuckiny suck i think this is a bit beyond my pay grade

this webpage crashed chrome. thanks chrome.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Vlad the Retailer posted:

the circuit itself, or the case?

the entire scope. coding it, the circuit, maybe the case

a run before i can walk scenario

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
i'm making an sa forums client (web tech + phonegap) and I wanted to use swiping to move between forums > forum > thread. Unfortunately there's a pretty significant android bug with scrolling and swiping (it can't do both) so I've been making a javascript library to work around that. also the idea is to have live animation during the swipe because most other approaches (like jquery mobile) just have an uninterruptible animation that transitions the whole page.

http://holloway.github.io/swiper-do-swipe/ (works fastest in webkit, but it does support firefoxOs)

bugs: you can't scroll vertically right now but i'll fix that soon

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

2048 for the arduino (aka the perfect HN headline)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Vlad the Retailer posted:

2048 for the arduino (aka the perfect HN headline)

more like the perfect hack-a-day honeypot

christ does the concept of the arduino ever get those commenters all furioused up

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i feel really bad for the guys who made threes

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

Werthog 95 posted:

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Werthog 95 posted:

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

i remember playing a threes clone on a shareware floppy in like 92

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

what im saying is threes eventually leads to time travel

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

i bought a breadboard-mountable RCA jack but i haven't gotten around to looking up how to output video and build my own Fairchilde Channel F

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Werthog 95 posted:

maybe if theyr app had had any kind of efficiency or anything

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

i bought a breadboard-mountable RCA jack but i haven't gotten around to looking up how to output video and build my own Fairchilde Channel F

for b&w composite video, the hardware side is pretty easy - you only need two outputs, a 470 ohm and a 1kohm resistor

however, you have to generate the signal on the fly, generating horizontal and vertical sync pulses and counting clock cycles

or you can just use the arduino TVout library

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
okay so my friend claims that she mixed blue and red food colouring, and it turned out green. she asked me why this might be the case

she swears that she did not simply mistake a bottle of yellow food colouring for red, and while i'm p. sure this is still the most probable explanation by far, i will do my due diligence in investigating this mystery of science

the obvious route seems to be: get the transmission spectra of the food colouring dyes, and then get the emission spectrum of the lights she was using (fluorescent i think), and then figure out what sort of colour one would expect to see

so, step 1 is build a spectroscope. my first prototype is just a kludged-together slit->tube->diffraction grating->digital camera, so the spectra i'm getting out of it are pretty rough

here's a spectrum i got from a CFL bulb

i'm going to build a more solid one out of lego that will actually sort of mount to the camera and allow me to precisely control the amount of light getting in and the angle it's at, and then stick it on a tripod or something so that it'll be stable for the relatively long exposures it'll need to do

SEND SPIKE JONEZ
Dec 31, 2006
spike jonez sent

ol qwerty bastard posted:

okay so my friend claims that she mixed blue and red food colouring, and it turned out green. she asked me why this might be the case

she swears that she did not simply mistake a bottle of yellow food colouring for red, and while i'm p. sure this is still the most probable explanation by far, i will do my due diligence in investigating this mystery of science

the obvious route seems to be: get the transmission spectra of the food colouring dyes, and then get the emission spectrum of the lights she was using (fluorescent i think), and then figure out what sort of colour one would expect to see

so, step 1 is build a spectroscope. my first prototype is just a kludged-together slit->tube->diffraction grating->digital camera, so the spectra i'm getting out of it are pretty rough

here's a spectrum i got from a CFL bulb

i'm going to build a more solid one out of lego that will actually sort of mount to the camera and allow me to precisely control the amount of light getting in and the angle it's at, and then stick it on a tripod or something so that it'll be stable for the relatively long exposures it'll need to do

is this the new printer-carry?

SEND SPIKE JONEZ fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 3, 2014

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

no, because thats a kickass device

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
the yellow bottle in the 4-pack looks really really red before use

probably just put the wrong cap on it last time

Dec 26, 2012

Corla Plankun posted:

the yellow bottle in the 4-pack looks really really red before use

probably just put the wrong cap on it last time

yeah. but hey you built a spectroscope anyway which is pretty cool

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ol qwerty bastard posted:

you should read this first (Feynman)

quote:

The reason why I say I'm "uncultured" or "anti-intellectual" probably goes all the
way back to the time when I was in high school. I was always worried about being
a sissy; I didn't want to be too delicate. To me, no real man ever paid any attention
to poetry and such things. How poetry ever got written--that never struck me! So I
developed a negative attitude toward the guy who studies French literature, or
studies too much music or poetry--all those "fancy" things. I admired better the
steel-worker, the welder, or the machine shop man. I always thought the guy who
worked in the machine shop and could make things, now he was a real guy! That
was my attitude. To be a practical man was, to me, always somehow a positive
virtue, and to be "cultured" or "intellectual" was not. The first was right, of course,
hut the second was crazy.

I still had this feeling when I was doing my graduate study at Princeton, as you'll
see. I used to eat often in a nice little restaurant called Papa's Place. One day while
I was eating there, a painter in his painting clothes came down from an upstairs
room he'd been painting, and sat near me. Somehow we struck up a conversation
and he started talking about how you've got to learn a lot to be in the painting
business. "For example," he said, "in this restaurant, what colors would you use to
paint the walls, if you had the job to do?"

I said I didn't know, and he said, "You have a dark band up to such-and-such a
height, because, you see, people who sit at the tables rub their elbows against the
walls, so you don't want a nice, white wall there. It gets dirty too easily. But above
that, you do want it white to give a feeling of cleanliness to the restaurant."

The guy seemed to know what he was doing, and I was sitting there, hanging on
his words, when he said, "And you also have to know about colors--how to get
different colors when you mix the paint. For example, what colors would you mix
to get yellow?"

I didn't know how to get yellow by mixing paints. If it's light, you mix green and
red, but I knew he was talking paints. So I said, "I don't know how you get yellow
without using yellow."

"Well," he said, "if you mix red and white, you'll get yellow."
"Are you sure you don't mean pink?"

"No," he said, "you'll get yellow"--and I believed that he got yellow, because he
was a professional painter, and I always admired guys like that. But I still
wondered how he did it.

I got an idea. "It must be some kind of chemical change. Were you using some
special kind of pigments that make a chemical change?"

"No," he said, "any old pigments will work. You go down to the five-and-ten and
get some paint--just a regular can of red paint and a regular can of white paint--and
I'll mix 'em, and I'll show how you get yellow."

At this juncture I was thinking, "Something is crazy. I know enough about paints to
know you won't get yellow, but he must know that you do get yellow, and
therefore something interesting happens. I've got to see what it is!"

So I said, "OK, I'll get the paints."

The painter went back upstairs to finish his painting job, and the restaurant owner
came over and said to me, "What's the idea of arguing with that man? The man is a
painter; he's been a painter all his life, and he says he gets yellow. So why argue
with him?"

I felt embarrassed. I didn't know what to say. Finally I said, "All my life, I've been
studying light. And I think that with red and white you can't get yellow--you can
only get pink."

So I went to the five-and-ten and got the paint, and brought it back to the
restaurant. The painter came down from upstairs, and the restaurant owner was
there too. I put the cans of paint on an old chair, and the painter began to mix the
paint. He put a little more red, he put a little more white--it still looked pink to me-
-and he mixed some more. Then he mumbled something like, "I used to have a
little tube of yellow here to sharpen it up a bit--then this'll be yellow."

"Oh!" I said. "Of course! You add yellow, and you can get yellow, but you couldn't
do it without the yellow."

The painter went back upstairs to paint.
The restaurant ownersaid, "That guy has his nerve, arguing with a guy who's
studied light all hislife!"

But that shows you how much I trusted these "real guys." The painter had told me
so much stuff that was reasonable that I was ready to give a certain chance that
there was an odd phenomenon I didn't know. I was expecting pink, but my set of
thoughts were, "The only way to get yellow will be something new and interesting,
and I've got to see this."

I've very often made mistakes in my physics by thinking the theory isn't as good as
it really is, thinking that there are lots of complications that are going to spoil it--an
attitude that anything can happen, in spite of what you're pretty sure should
happen.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

lol what an idiot obvioyusly the painter just nedded fresh red and white paint

Dec 26, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

owns

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

a long time ago i wrote a program to push text (with a rudimentary font/color syntax) to scrolling text led signs

its got stocks and news headlines and charlie chan quotes and whatever else can be scraped and printed to stdout

after about a year at cur job i finally got around to making some scraper scripts for stuff relevant to there, eg build status, any recent pages, current/peak qps for the day, so its now set up and scrolling

anyway thats my story

Progressive JPEG fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 16, 2017

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013