Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Mooseontheloose posted:

Lawn signs are a thing you give people who will ABSOLUTELY not do anything else but they are pretty ineffective.

From what I've heard from friends who still work campaigns, lawn signs are extremely effective at their actual purpose, which is getting the candidate's non-campaign campaign people (i.e., rich friends, spouses, college frat buddies) to shut the gently caress up about visibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

The Warszawa posted:

From what I've heard from friends who still work campaigns, lawn signs are extremely effective at their actual purpose, which is getting the candidate's non-campaign campaign people (i.e., rich friends, spouses, college frat buddies) to shut the gently caress up about visibility.

Well that too.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mooseontheloose posted:

Lawn signs are a thing you give people who will ABSOLUTELY not do anything else but they are pretty ineffective.
Not only are they useless and expensive, they're also a recurring expense, as the guy who asked for a lawn sign comes back every week to get a replacement after it gets stolen (again).

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

FMguru posted:

Not only are they useless and expensive, they're also a recurring expense, as the guy who asked for a lawn sign comes back every week to get a replacement after it gets stolen (again).

I thought you had to buy lawn signs.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Lawn signs are useful because they give my dad something to gossip about when I ask him what's going on back home.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

axeil posted:

My roommate last year worked for OFA in Prince William County and they all hated yard signs. I'm getting the sense yard signs are a young/old divide.

It's not a young-old divide, it's a involved-uninvolved divide. Campaigns waste time and energy and money getting the signs and countless volunteer hours delivering them to folks or handing them out, and most of those guys who want the yard sign act like it's a great service to the campaign to let them put a sign on some random house on a minor cul-de-sac. When you're a campaign staffer working 12-16 hours a day or a volunteer giving up your evenings for phone-banks or half your free time on weekends for canvassing, that sort of poo poo pisses you off.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
At the same time, for as much as you can educate campaign staffers about how useless they are, it's gonna be real hard to educate supporters about that fact. The best advice is try to use them as a fundraising opportunity like more expensive buttons or stickers for those that want them. As long as you avoid pouring poo poo loads of money into it like it's some sort of real campaign strategy then it's probably fine. It's useless and annoying just like a lot of things are, but it's kind of part of the territory.

It's the same reason loving Yum Brands advertises during golf. Consumers don't give a gently caress about Yum Brands, and don't even know those restaurant chains are all owned by the same company. Yet, there's advertising there wasting budget because the execs watch golf. They like to see the presence, brag to their friends, etc. They don't care if it's useless. They just think that's how it's supposed to be. The same thing goes for yard signs and campaigning.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
I don't know, I think campaign signs provide a psychological edge to supporters. When you see an entire town blanketed in lawn signs for the guy running against your candidate, it leaves you a little :smith: and can depress turnout. The illusion of support can be useful in that situation.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.

Ofaloaf posted:

The volunteer training in Detroit has been very emphatic in dissing lawn signs*, so there's that small comfort. The call lists drawn from VAN aren't just folks under the 'Solid Democrat' category, but cover Likely Democrats and I think I've seen some Neutrals (or Undecided or I forget what the name used is) on the list. Main complaint I have is that it feels like half the data was drawn up during '08 and hasn't since been updated-- I've been getting a bothersome number of wrong number and disconnected number responses when doing calls for petition drives and gatherings and so forth.

*On the other hand, some more traditionally-minded partisans still regularly request such signs, so the lesson was less outright "gently caress lawn signs" and more "lawn signs are useless for swaying voters but supporters still appreciate having that means of showing their support, so if you have the resources try to have some for them"

The scores provided by VAN are not entirely accurate for general Democrats and certainly not accurate for specific Democratic candidates who will probably have specific targeting related to that race. It's very easy to waste time in field where contacts are going to be limited and advanced targeting available to only campaigns is really the way to go, even if it's to help out local races as well as the larger federal and state races going on. I know, personally, I'm very flexible in terms of which candidates you carry lit for and who you can mention at the door, and focusing on our best persuadables is always a winning strategy. I know some people on the coordinated field program in Michigan and they are excellent, some of the brightest and most talented people in the field. I would recommend, as soon as you can, getting into contact with them and knocking on some doors.

Wrong Numbers and Disconnecteds are, however, unfortunately a fact of life when there's not much more to go off of than public records like voter registration forms. It's critical we remove these numbers from the list, so that kind of result is another important part of the process that leads up to Get Out The Vote.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:
~Connecticut talk~

So I think our nutmeg state this past week has inched closer to being taken over by a Republican in November(the governorship anyways, not the assembly). A month or so ago governor Malloy proposed a $55/$110 tax rebate for individuals/families. Now from the start it was controversial because people on the left were like "This is a stupid amount of money, just put it towards the debt or social services or something" while those on the right were accusing it of being a vote buying bribe since the checks were meant to go out in later September. Well regardless of how stupid the plan was no one was going to argue with a free $55. Well that was a big story at the time............and now it's a big story that the rebates have to be cancelled because tax revenue coming in April has been pretty weak. So basically all the governor got was tons of free press on the state economy and treasury being in shambles. On top of this late last year he made a proposal to get rid of the car tax which was a pretty public thing that was shot down in flames when local communities and advocacy groups for the poor threw a loving fit(rightfully so), and the proposal to repeal keno(which was passed last year to try to shore up the budget with strong opposition from the cities Malloy needs to win) has also had to be rescinded.

Basically the governor has done a great job at creating news coverage on the fact the state's economy is pretty awful for those who usually don't follow reports on unemployment and GDP.
e: also a poll was released today showing 1/2 the state wishes they could leave the state, with taxes/cost of living being among the main reasons(the nation average was around 1/3, CT had 49%, 2nd only behind Illinois)

Amused to Death fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 1, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In which Mark Begich trolls Sarah Palin like a pro.

quote:

The Alaska senator then repeatedly questioned Palin’s residency — as he did in an interview last July. This time Begich pointed to the database for the Permanent Fund Dividend Division, money paid to Alaska residents out of a state mineral royalties. A search of the 2013 database includes names of several members of Palin’s family, but no Sarah Palin.

“In Alaska you measure yourself as an Alaskan: Did you get your permanent fund check? She didn’t qualify this year, so I’m not sure if she’s Alaskan anymore,” Begich said. “In Alaska’s eyes that means you have no intent of coming back and you weren’t in Alaska long enough this year to be an Alaskan.”

:master:

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
Got my first call today on the Democratic primary melee to replace Moran in Northern Virginia.

I didn't realize how good it would feel to actually have a choice for once that wasn't simply the lesser evil.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

farraday posted:

Got my first call today on the Democratic primary melee to replace Moran in Northern Virginia.

I didn't realize how good it would feel to actually have a choice for once that wasn't simply the lesser evil.

I am super excited for that race. One of my roommates is doing a lot of volunteer work with one of the candidates, who also happens to be the only candidate who did any sort of out-reach whatsoever to me. He sent me a letter back in February/March letting me know that Moran was retiring and that he was running and gave a list of his accomplishments. :3: Nobody else did jackshit and the dude seems pretty progressive so I'm voting for him.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
I have strong opinions about the 8th district of VA race, but I no longer live there so they really don't matter.

What I don't like is that a number of the brightest young minds in progressive VA politics all over the state have flocked to this gimmie Dem seat in an attempt to get a steady hill job or winning campaign experience while we can't get anyone else to run for jack poo poo in the rest of the state.

If I had a vote, I'd vote for Adam Ebbin, but only because he's the only one of that bunch who ever had the time to sit down and talk to me. Plus he supported a campaign I worked on previously. He's a good guy. Vote for him. Don't worry about losing his Senate seat, it's the safest in NoVA.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Speaking of yard signs, I just got this email from a candidate in PA. Standard appeal, but this was the kicker at the end:

quote:

P.S. My campaign manager just came in to tell me that we’re only $500 away from our goal for ordering yard signs. If you’re able to chip in anything at all towards our yard signs, it would mean a lot to me.

So yard signs are an easy expense to refer to.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Honestly, while this is funny, everything Begich says in this article seems like political missteps.

Palin isn't running for anything and her endorsements don't mean poo poo anymore as far as I can tell, so talking about a non-event like her seems pretty pointless when there are real problems (GOP campaign-wise) that he could be discussing. Second is the fact that he's "endorsing" Joe Miller, the biggest political gently caress-up this state has seen in 20 years. Obviously anyone with a half a brain can tell he's doing it so as to have an easier opponent in the general, but I bet somebody will try to use those kind of quotes to bash him on some issue.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

ErIog posted:

At the same time, for as much as you can educate campaign staffers about how useless they are, it's gonna be real hard to educate supporters about that fact. The best advice is try to use them as a fundraising opportunity like more expensive buttons or stickers for those that want them. As long as you avoid pouring poo poo loads of money into it like it's some sort of real campaign strategy then it's probably fine. It's useless and annoying just like a lot of things are, but it's kind of part of the territory.

I plead guilty to demanding a yard sign in 2012. I am old. I would happily have paid :10bux: for one however. You have to understand that growing up in New Hampshire yard signs were basically *the poo poo* as a jr high/high school student. They were everywhere. Holocaust levels of political graveyards around town. When I think "election season" I literally think yard signs.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

De Nomolos posted:

I have strong opinions about the 8th district of VA race, but I no longer live there so they really don't matter.

What I don't like is that a number of the brightest young minds in progressive VA politics all over the state have flocked to this gimmie Dem seat in an attempt to get a steady hill job or winning campaign experience while we can't get anyone else to run for jack poo poo in the rest of the state.

If I had a vote, I'd vote for Adam Ebbin, but only because he's the only one of that bunch who ever had the time to sit down and talk to me. Plus he supported a campaign I worked on previously. He's a good guy. Vote for him. Don't worry about losing his Senate seat, it's the safest in NoVA.

axeil posted:

I am super excited for that race. One of my roommates is doing a lot of volunteer work with one of the candidates, who also happens to be the only candidate who did any sort of out-reach whatsoever to me. He sent me a letter back in February/March letting me know that Moran was retiring and that he was running and gave a list of his accomplishments. :3: Nobody else did jackshit and the dude seems pretty progressive so I'm voting for him.

Yeah I'm entirely open to moral suasion on any of the local representatives/mayors. Mark Levine is too much of a media personality and Don Beyer reminds me of a used car salesman :thejoke:.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

farraday posted:

Yeah I'm entirely open to moral suasion on any of the local representatives/mayors. Mark Levine is too much of a media personality and Don Beyer reminds me of a used car salesman :thejoke:.

Who the hell is Mark Levine and why should I know who he is? I keep seeing him listed as a "media personality" but the hell if I know where he's appeared. And he's being treated as a serious contender, too.

When I see his "Aggressive Progressive" ads, it makes me think he's going to be an obnoxious talking head who just aggressively defends Obama, like Blubbering Vagina Paul Begala.

Patrick Hope is apparently doing well, but he works in PR so that's strike 1. Adam Ebbin actually worked for the group that represented outed LGBT soldiers.

De Nomolos fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 3, 2014

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Hes a radio guy that sounds like Master Shake.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

SavageBastard posted:

I plead guilty to demanding a yard sign in 2012. I am old. I would happily have paid :10bux: for one however. You have to understand that growing up in New Hampshire yard signs were basically *the poo poo* as a jr high/high school student. They were everywhere. Holocaust levels of political graveyards around town. When I think "election season" I literally think yard signs.

No offense but your middle/high school sounds really lame.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Yard signs make incredible improvised snow sleds. A few winters ago I saw two girls with a big one going down a hill at light speed compared to everyone else.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Redeye Flight posted:

Yard signs make incredible improvised snow sleds. A few winters ago I saw two girls with a big one going down a hill at light speed compared to everyone else.

They also make great building material for R/C airplanes or anything else. The good ones are basically corrugated cardboard except with plastic instead of paper (Coroplast).

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

farraday posted:

There's a four Democrat primary going on in Pennsylvania right now. It's kind of interesting I suppose but all of them are basically saying the same thing, last time I checked the biggest substantive difference is how big they want to tax people who extract natural gas in Pennsylvania, which seems to me like the biggest issue going right now. That and education funding, which was practically gutted. I'm pretty sure that whoever is going to win the primary is probably going to beat Corbett who is literally so inept and void of charisma that he's on his way to becoming the first PA Governor in like 40 years to get voted out of office.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Sancho posted:

Hes a radio guy that sounds like Master Shake.

Ummmm...I thought no one listened to Air America?

Seriously, what radio station has progressive talk? I thought we'd learned that liberals don't want to hear hours at a time of someone droning on about how dumb Ted Cruz is or whatever.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

De Nomolos posted:

Seriously, what radio station has progressive talk? I thought we'd learned that liberals don't want to hear hours at a time of someone droning on about how dumb Ted Cruz is or whatever.

It's pretty much whoever carries Thom Hartmann, Mike Malloy and Stephanie Miller.

e: Harry Shearer's Le Show used to be pretty good, don't know about now

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker

forbidden lesbian posted:

No offense but your middle/high school sounds really lame.

Attitudes like that are why we have the first primary and you've got sloppy twelfs or whatever. We take this poo poo seriously, man.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

SavageBastard posted:

Attitudes like that are why we have the first primary and you've got sloppy twelfs or whatever. We take this poo poo seriously, man.

We're the first state! (To hold a primary instead of a caucus)

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

De Nomolos posted:

I thought we'd learned that liberals don't want to hear hours at a time of someone droning on about how dumb Ted Cruz is or whatever.

Posted here, in D&D. :v:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

De Nomolos posted:

We have some "progressive" AM station here in the Twin Cities. I tried listening to it once, since I'd only ever heard bits of right-wing talk radio or some Fox News (TV) programs. Fifteen minutes later I learned that I can't stand any political show where it's just some idiot(s) grinding an axe for hours and hours :suicide:

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Nth Doctor posted:

Posted here, in D&D. :v:

I'm sorry if you're not here for the in-depth discussion of Marxian-Third Worldism as seen by 25 year old white male grad students :colbert:

I've lived in DC, Memphis, and Tampa and never heard a liberal talk radio station, if by that you mean "Like Right Wing Talk, just more left, but not thoughtful our with journalistic integrity like Democracy Now."

De Nomolos fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 4, 2014

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Democracy Now is interesting about 10% of the time, with 90% being "these 5 people are mad about a supermarket" stories. It was more interesting during the Iraq war.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I'm imagining liberal talk radio as essentially being The Ed Show and I don't really have much interest.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I've always assumed that the demographics that most listen to AM radio and the demographics and mostly vote Republican are closely correlated.

What do I care about radio when I can just download the Bugle or whatever and listen to that whenever I want?

Lycus fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 4, 2014

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

De Nomolos posted:

I've lived in DC, Memphis, and Tampa and never heard a liberal talk radio station, if by that you mean "Like Right Wing Talk, just more left, but not thoughtful our with journalistic integrity like Democracy Now."

Thats funny because I used to get it driving around rural central Pennsylvania back when I was more serious about joyriding. Maybe you just never turn the nob over to a.m.?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Mark Levine and Mark Levin are different people.

Or is :thejoke:?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

FAUXTON posted:

Democracy Now is interesting about 10% of the time, with 90% being "these 5 people are mad about a supermarket" stories. It was more interesting during the Iraq war.
Yeah, I tune in very selectively. On the one hand, I appreciate her focus on stories that don't get covered, but on the other hand she suffers from the same over-coverage disease any media outlet does, just with a totally different impetus. She'll do two weeks straight on a conflict with Israel or whatever, which I understand, but Goddamn, I don't need to hear a full show every day.

Also I am convinced her latest co-host is a boytoy, heh. Okay not really, but he's not very good at his job and he's good looking, which, if he were a cute girl and Goodman an aging male reporter of some note who grins every time the co-host speaks, would be the supposition.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Bobby Digital posted:

Mark Levine and Mark Levin are different people.

Or is :thejoke:?

u are right and I apologize to Mark Levine

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Cliff Racer posted:

Thats funny because I used to get it driving around rural central Pennsylvania back when I was more serious about joyriding. Maybe you just never turn the nob over to a.m.?

As a Coast to Coast AM listener, I assure you this is incorrect.

But yeah, story selection aside, I am referring more to the tone of DN! and not content (I haven't heard it since I left DC). I imagine any other left leaning show being like Ed Schultz and that makes me cringe.

BACK TO PRIMARIES: far as I know about the polls in VA-8, it's Don Beyer's race to lose. Sad, since he's been out of office since 1997 in VA (former LG) and is more like the perfect candidate for NoVA circa 20 years ago now. NoVA is on avg much more liberal than Mark Warner and Beyer now.

De Nomolos fucked around with this message at 15:49 on May 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Mischitary posted:

There's a four Democrat primary going on in Pennsylvania right now. It's kind of interesting I suppose but all of them are basically saying the same thing, last time I checked the biggest substantive difference is how big they want to tax people who extract natural gas in Pennsylvania, which seems to me like the biggest issue going right now. That and education funding, which was practically gutted. I'm pretty sure that whoever is going to win the primary is probably going to beat Corbett who is literally so inept and void of charisma that he's on his way to becoming the first PA Governor in like 40 years to get voted out of office.

:eng101: From 1874 to 1968 the Pennsylvania Constitution prevented Governors from serving consecutive terms. Every one so far since 1968 that has been eligible has been reelected.

As the primary goes, Wolf could be fine for all I know, there's just something off-putting about a businessman funding his own campaign. Apparently there's been at least one attack ad now, and Rendell is telling them to cut that poo poo out.

• Locked thread