Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

cadenza posted:

Hello thread. I'm going to be in Tokyo next week and am super excited about checking out this Yellow Submarine store! I wondered if anyone has any other recommendations for me while I'm there. I should be spending some time in Kansai while I'm in Japan as well, so if people know any places in Osaka/Kobe/Kyoto then I'll check those out too!

If you end up in Hiroshima there's a Yellow Submarine with a small assortment of RPG things. It was mostly waifu CCGs when I was in there about two weeks ago, but they did have a couple shelves of Japanese and western RPGs as well. It's on the way to the Peace Park from the train station, in a shopping arcade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

InfiniteJesters posted:

How would a Kancolle RPG work, anyway? It seems like something that would work better as a strategy RPG or Warhammer 40k-style game than a straight up RPG.

"In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only Wo."

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

InfiniteJesters posted:

How would a Kancolle RPG work, anyway? It seems like something that would work better as a strategy RPG or Warhammer 40k-style game than a straight up RPG.
I was able to get the Kindle book of it (which is really surprising, considering), but I haven't had a chance to read very much of it. It includes a huge selection of pre-made characters from the browser game (and they already came out with a supplement that adds a bunch more), and uses a skill grid similar to Shinobigami (where your target number for a roll is based on how far the correct skill is from one you actually have on the grid), but with "quirks" instead of skills. From what I can tell the game is basically a mixture of social interaction between characters and battles against enemies from the ocean depths, all done very much in the style of Kawashima's other games, with semi-abstract positioning and lots of tables and dice-rolling.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

cadenza posted:

Hello thread. I'm going to be in Tokyo next week and am super excited about checking out this Yellow Submarine store! I wondered if anyone has any other recommendations for me while I'm there. I should be spending some time in Kansai while I'm in Japan as well, so if people know any places in Osaka/Kobe/Kyoto then I'll check those out too!

There are Yellow submarines in Kyoto and Osaka as well. The top floor of the Osaka one had a lot of good stuff from what I remember.

cadenza
Dec 25, 2006

integrity

mikeycp posted:

There are Yellow submarines in Kyoto and Osaka as well. The top floor of the Osaka one had a lot of good stuff from what I remember.

Fantastic, thanks! I am interested in maybe picking up something like the Alshard core book but I'm wondering if it contains furigana? I don't know many kanji so I'd be reluctant if I won't be able to understand a lot of it - stopping to look up every character I don't know (which will be a large, large percentage of them) doesn't sound too fun.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
So, in case anyone missed it, the PDFs for Double Cross and the Advanced Rulebook went up yesterday. I had somehow managed to miss all the discussion in here and had never heard of it, but I picked it up on a recommendation from Mikan and boy howdy do I not regret it. I'm still having some issues wrapping my head around Lois' and the structure that they want for scenes, but this thing is thematic as all hell and I love it.

The two titles are #1 and #6 under Small Publishers, so hopefully they do well enough to get the translator to bring over more of the supplements and alternate settings.

I don't have enough grasp of it yet to solo GM it, but with the way that it allows GM experience and switching out pretty well, if anyone is of the mind to work on co-GM'ing it with me just say something here or toss me a PM.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ver. Blue Entertainment said over on G+ that they're going to bring Public Enemies (the False Hearts sourcebook) over next.

quote:

We do intend to release Public Enemy as a PDF. We are currently waiting on confirmation from FEAR.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh, and it looks like Ver. Blue just updated the PDFs with bookmarks, so get to redownloadin'.

Goat Bouillabaise
Sep 21, 2005
Strike Force DUMBASS!

Potsticker posted:

Well there was a two season anime recently where Nylathrotep, Hastur and others were kawaii animes who fell in love with a normal human boy.

EDIT: What I am saying is that there are horrors Lovecraft never dreamed of.

Yes. Haiyore! Nyaruko-san. Complete with bosomy boardroom Cthulhu and a cutesy shantak. Here is the OP. Basically all you need to know. Ggggh.

Goat Bouillabaise fucked around with this message at 14:50 on May 1, 2014

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Goat Bouillabaise posted:

Yes. Haiyore! Nyaruko-san. Complete with bosomy boardroom Cthulhu and a cutesy shantak. Here is the OP. Basically all you need to know. Ggggh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twLhgk2S2ZM May be More relevant as the recurring line in the background is going "San-chi pinchi" which is roughly "SAN in trouble" which is for obvious reasons.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I can't entirely hate that show after seeing a bit of an author interview somewhere where the creator admitted he wrote it basically to troll his old CoC RPG group.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Is it just me, or is all of the power combination stuff in Double Cross not clearly explained in any one place? I've been going through the book for like 40 minutes and I still can't make heads or tails of it.

I really want to like this game. So much of the setting is really cool, but there also seem to be a bunch of kinda lovely or underexplained systems that make me want to just import the cool stuff into Fate.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I've always been curious about the Legend of the Galactic Heroes tabletop game(s?) I've seen pictures of, but I'm uncertain if they are RPGs, boardgames or straight up wargames.

Anyone encountered those rules?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

mikeycp posted:

Is it just me, or is all of the power combination stuff in Double Cross not clearly explained in any one place? I've been going through the book for like 40 minutes and I still can't make heads or tails of it.

It's on page 300/301. The only real limitation is that the powers involved in the combo have to have the same Timing and Skill (but if the power was - as a skill, that power can combine with everything).

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

mikeycp posted:

I really want to like this game. So much of the setting is really cool, but there also seem to be a bunch of kinda lovely or underexplained systems that make me want to just import the cool stuff into Fate.

I just looked at those rules. drat, they sure are crunchy. I can explain them, but it'd be kinda involved. More concise than the original explanation, though.

If converting to FATE, I'd want to find a way to port the encroachment system. Make it so that for every point of encroachment you can boost your action , impose an Aspect, claim a special benefit, or do something you normally couldn't. So for example 3 Encroachment to do an AoE (+1) attack that has a +2 bonus (+1) and gives the Entangled aspect (+1). You could describe this pumped-up attack as a combination of impaling rocks and entangling vines or other such description befitting your Syndrome(s). Or for a non-combat example, turning invisible (+1) and erasing sounds (+1). Or using Von Neumann's genius planning to give your entire team (+1) a +2 bonus (+1) for following your plan. Anything goes as long as it fits with your Syndrome(s).

This kind of implementation does make the Syndrome powers quite powerful, but you pay the price in Encroachment after all. If you wanted to limit it somewhat, you could require Stunts, though those Stunts'd likely be more broad than Double Cross's Powers. You'd almost certainly need to give out a fair number of Stunts for this (like, every significant rather than major milestone). Though this would make it easier to balance tribreeds versus crossbreeds versus purebreeds--they just take broader or narrower varieties of stunts.

Encroachment rate only goes down from having regular interaction with people important to you. And I also liked the bonus XP for high Encroachment, so I'd include some bonus like extra Fate Points for dangerously pushing it. For example, if we implement Encroachment as a Stress track (with higher number of boxes like 7 or 10, the balance point needs to be determined), you'd earn bonus fate points for marking Consequences.

This's kinda a quick and rough implementation off the top of my head. Better implementations may exist.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's on page 300/301. The only real limitation is that the powers involved in the combo have to have the same Timing and Skill (but if the power was - as a skill, that power can combine with everything).

It didn't seem like 300/301 explained everything. I didn't see any explanation for the bottom bar of the combo bar, like how many dice you use. Also for whatever below and over 100% means.

e: Though it could be that I'm just thick. Either way I think it's way too crunchy of a game for me.

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 4, 2014

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Below and above 100% refers to your encroachment rate - as it rises, you get more powerful in a few ways.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

How does it factor into the numbers you're supposed to fill in? Mainly dice and attack power.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

mikeycp posted:

How does it factor into the numbers you're supposed to fill in? Mainly dice and attack power.

At 60% and above, you get a bonus to your powers' die pools, and at 100% or higher you get bonus effective levels on your powers. It's on page 274.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you know there's a pretty good index, right?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Yeah I use the index. It is definitely good, but I was having trouble piecing the information together once I got to the page one part of it was on.

Nobody else in my group could figure combos out either. I'm half tempted to drop the mechanic completely (and probably this entire system once we finish our current scenario).

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

mikeycp posted:

It didn't seem like 300/301 explained everything. I didn't see any explanation for the bottom bar of the combo bar, like how many dice you use. Also for whatever below and over 100% means.

e: Though it could be that I'm just thick. Either way I think it's way too crunchy of a game for me.

Combos look hard until they click, then they're dead easy.

The easiest way to think of combos is you're adding extra powers to a skill roll from a power. Pick a power that has a skill roll attached. The skill used, difficulty, etc is all set by that. A lot of combos won't have difficulty (maybe it's rolling against something the GM sets, or it's opposed, etc, see page 301) or attack power (not an attack) or targets or what have you, because the skill that you're using doesn't involve any of that. Then you add in the extra powers, which modify the dicepool, give bonuses, allow additional targets, allow new uses for that roll, etc, and of course increase the encroachment cost.

When everything is assembled and restricted according to the rules on 300/301, then you pay the entire encroach cost and roll once using that skill.

edit: I can go through the entire charsheet combo box:
Condition: Some powers can only be used above a certain encroach percent. If you include one of those powers in the combo, the entire combo is restricted in the same way.
Combo: List the skills involved.
Timing: All powers involved must have the same timing
Skill: All powers involved must have the same Skill, or must have - or Syndrome as the skill. You must have at least one power with a Skill. Sometimes you houserule that you can combine powers into any skill roll power or no, I recommend doing this personally.
DFCLTY: Pick Opposed if it's listed in any of the powers, otherwise pick the highest listed difficulty of all the powers involved.
Target: Pick the smallest number of targets of all the powers involved, keeping in mind that some combo powers increase the number of targets.
RNG: Pick the smallest range of all the powers involved.
Encroach: Add the encroach cost of all the powers involved.
Dice: Refer to the Skill for the base dice, some powers add dice.
Crit Value: Some powers modify the crit value of a roll, by default it's 10.
Atk Power: Some powers have an Atk Power or add to a combo's Atk Power, if there are multiple add them all up, some powers are not attacks, otherwise use your weapon's Atk Power.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 4, 2014

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

TheDemon posted:

Combos look hard until they click, then they're dead easy.

The easiest way to think of combos is you're adding extra powers to a skill roll from a power. Pick a power that has a skill roll attached. The skill used, difficulty, etc is all set by that. A lot of combos won't have difficulty (maybe it's rolling against something the GM sets, or it's opposed, etc, see page 301) or attack power (not an attack) or targets or what have you, because the skill that you're using doesn't involve any of that. Then you add in the extra powers, which modify the dicepool, give bonuses, allow additional targets, allow new uses for that roll, etc, and of course increase the encroachment cost.

When everything is assembled and restricted according to the rules on 300/301, then you pay the entire encroach cost and roll once using that skill.

Ok, so then as an example: Comboing Light Bow[LV1]+Light of Destruction[LV1]. (Pg100) My <RC> and <Melee> skills are also LV1. Mind and Body are 3. Using a Knife, so <Melee> and ATK 2.

Under 100% - Timing:Major; Skill:RC; Diff:Opposed; Target:Area(select); RNG:View; Encroach: 3; Dice:?; Crit:10; Atk:6

Over 100% - Timing:Major; Skill:RC; Diff:Opposed; Target:Area(select); RNG:View; Encroach: 3; Dice:?; Crit:10; Atk:8

---

Is this at all right? I'm still not sure how to calculate the dice, and how if at all the encroachment dice bonus factors in.

e: I didn't see your edit before I posted this.
e2: I guess dice for both is 3?
e3: Also, you're saying that I could combine an <RC> with a '-' or <Syndrome>? Or <RC>+<RC> and <Syndrome>+<Syndrome>?

mikeycp fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 4, 2014

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

mikeycp posted:

Ok, so then as an example: Comboing Light Bow[LV1]+Light of Destruction[LV1]. (Pg100) My <RC> and <Melee> skills are also LV1. Mind and Body are 3. Using a Knife, so <Melee> and ATK 2.

Under 100% - Timing:Major; Skill:RC; Diff:Opposed; Target:Area(select); RNG:View; Encroach: 3; Dice:?; Crit:10; Atk:6

Over 100% - Timing:Major; Skill:RC; Diff:Opposed; Target:Area(select); RNG:View; Encroach: 3; Dice:?; Crit:10; Atk:8

---

Is this at all right? I'm still not sure how to calculate the dice, and how if at all the encroachment dice bonus factors in.

e: I didn't see your edit before I posted this.
e2: I guess dice for both is 3?
e3: Also, you're saying that I could combine an <RC> with a '-' or <Syndrome>? Or <RC>+<RC> and <Syndrome>+<Syndrome>?

Light Bow + Light of Destruction:
Firstly, neither Light Bow nor Light of Destruction can be used inside the user's Engagement (and only one power would have to have the restriction to restrict the whole combo), so you can't use them in melee with a knife. You certainly could throw the knife using this power though. Since the power specifically performs an attack and lists RC as the skill used, you use RC here instead of Ranged. Lots of powers are intentionally structured this way so you can use them to skill swap. For example, God's Eye lets you skill swap in Perception instead of Dodge to make a dodge, because it specifically says 'the user may perform a dodge'.

Under 100% - Timing:Major; Skill:RC; Diff:Opposed; Target:Area(select); RNG:View; Encroach:3; Dice:3 (+1 after the roll); Crit:10; Atk:+5; Notes: once per scenario

Dice is just the skill's dice. When you roll RC, you roll [Mind] dice, and add your <RC> value to the roll result. I usually record this as Mind+RC and refer back, but you could record it as say, 3+1 if your RC was 1, or just as 3 because the bonus is added on after the roll, not extra dice.
Attack power for this is LV+2 = 3 for Light Bow, +2 for Light of Destruction, for a total of +5. I guess you could add in the weapon here too which would make it Atk:7. I don't do this when recording my combos though, in case I swap weapons.

I guess you could also write down an Over 100% version of this combo, but it's not necessary to do so. That the section exists is a bit of an idiosyncrasy on the char sheet. Encroachment dice bonus is basically separate to the combo system, because you add dice to EVERYTHING you do if you're in the appropriate encroachment range. The chart to how much extra dice you get from encroachment bonus is on page 274. You start getting bonuses at 60%, so if you wanted to fill out the Over 100% section you'd add 3 to the dice, since if your encroach is 100% to 129% the dice bonus you get is 3.

I'm saying you can combine an <RC> power with any number of '-' or <Syndrome> or other <RC>. Syndrome must be combined with a skill from a power in the same syndrome, so you can't do <Syndrome>+<Syndrome> unless you add in a power that has a specific skill, like <RC>.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 4, 2014

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

OH OK. I think I understand now. So, one last example to make completely sure I get it.

Thor's Hammer(1) + Lightning Spear(1) + Lightning Attack(2)
<RC> and [Mind] are 1 and 3 like before.

Timing:Major; Skill:RC; Diff:Opposed; Target:Area(select); RNG:View; Encroach:7; Dice:2(+1); Crit:10; Atk:+16(Lightning Attack: 4; Thor's Hammer: 6; Lightning Spear: 6); Note: 1 use/Scenario. -1 die due to Spear (already factored in)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kaja Rainbow posted:

I just looked at those rules. drat, they sure are crunchy. I can explain them, but it'd be kinda involved. More concise than the original explanation, though.

If converting to FATE, I'd want to find a way to port the encroachment system. Make it so that for every point of encroachment you can boost your action , impose an Aspect, claim a special benefit, or do something you normally couldn't. So for example 3 Encroachment to do an AoE (+1) attack that has a +2 bonus (+1) and gives the Entangled aspect (+1). You could describe this pumped-up attack as a combination of impaling rocks and entangling vines or other such description befitting your Syndrome(s). Or for a non-combat example, turning invisible (+1) and erasing sounds (+1). Or using Von Neumann's genius planning to give your entire team (+1) a +2 bonus (+1) for following your plan. Anything goes as long as it fits with your Syndrome(s).

This kind of implementation does make the Syndrome powers quite powerful, but you pay the price in Encroachment after all. If you wanted to limit it somewhat, you could require Stunts, though those Stunts'd likely be more broad than Double Cross's Powers. You'd almost certainly need to give out a fair number of Stunts for this (like, every significant rather than major milestone). Though this would make it easier to balance tribreeds versus crossbreeds versus purebreeds--they just take broader or narrower varieties of stunts.

Encroachment rate only goes down from having regular interaction with people important to you. And I also liked the bonus XP for high Encroachment, so I'd include some bonus like extra Fate Points for dangerously pushing it. For example, if we implement Encroachment as a Stress track (with higher number of boxes like 7 or 10, the balance point needs to be determined), you'd earn bonus fate points for marking Consequences.

This's kinda a quick and rough implementation off the top of my head. Better implementations may exist.

I'd treat them like reverse Fate points. Lose one when you would normally gain points and gain them as an expenditure

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

mikeycp posted:

OH OK. I think I understand now. So, one last example to make completely sure I get it.

Thor's Hammer(1) + Lightning Spear(1) + Lightning Attack(2)
<RC> and [Mind] are 1 and 3 like before.

Timing:Major; Skill:RC; Diff:Opposed; Target:Area(select); RNG:View; Encroach:7; Dice:2(+1); Crit:10; Atk:+16(Lightning Attack: 4; Thor's Hammer: 6; Lightning Spear: 6); Note: 1 use/Scenario. -1 die due to Spear (already factored in)

I see no problems here. Looks like you've got it. I'll also note that the combo can't target characters in the user's Engagement, as Thor's Hammer & Lightning Spear have that limitation.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

unseenlibrarian posted:

I can't entirely hate that show after seeing a bit of an author interview somewhere where the creator admitted he wrote it basically to troll his old CoC RPG group.
I would've never guessed.

less than five minutes into episode one

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

AmiYumi posted:

I would've never guessed.

less than five minutes into episode one

Yeah. The ED has them playing CoC as well iirc.

devilmaydry
Sep 3, 2012

I only take special jobs, if you know what I mean.
For anyone who has played Double Cross, I was wondering about a houserule idea I had.

Basically, I was thinking of disconnecting base Attributes and syndromes by having the players create 2 attribute spreads and then combining them to get their base attributes.

In this house rule I was thinking of, each spread is made up of 4 points, distributed between each attribute however the players choose except with one rule. That rule being that one attribute cannot have more than 3 points placed on it in each spread.

So, would that break anything as written?

cadenza
Dec 25, 2006

integrity
So I went to the Yellow Submarine RPG store in Akihabara last week and its actually really cool. They have a ton of secondhand books there - lots of old D&D material which is pretty nice to see, though I wonder how many people are actually buying them considering they're all in English. I picked up the first rulebooks for Sword World 2.0, Alshard Savior and Arianrhod, and its kinda fun just looking through at stuff even if I have difficulty reading the actual rules. Most of the skills and monsters and stuff are just transliterated in any case - I wonder what non-English speaking people envisage when they read Enchanto Bureido or Jaiantto Batto.

I'm still in Japan for a while (currently in Kansai), but will be heading over to California soon - if anyone lives in the greater San Francisco area, I will happily pick up any JRPG books or materials that I can for you in exchange for letting me spend a night or two on your couch when I arrive!

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

devilmaydry posted:

For anyone who has played Double Cross, I was wondering about a houserule idea I had.

Basically, I was thinking of disconnecting base Attributes and syndromes by having the players create 2 attribute spreads and then combining them to get their base attributes.

In this house rule I was thinking of, each spread is made up of 4 points, distributed between each attribute however the players choose except with one rule. That rule being that one attribute cannot have more than 3 points placed on it in each spread.

So, would that break anything as written?

Considering that there's literally a point-buy option for stats, I cannot imagine this breaking anything at all. The existing spreads exist more or less entirely to give a character solid levels in his syndromes' important stats.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

False Hearts is (hopefully) coming out late May/Early June.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I'm really puzzled about how False Hearts works in an technical encroachment / Gjaum sense (as in are they/aren't they), so hopefully this will answer all my burning questions.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I am mostly waiting for the book after it, with the 13th syndrome, and then the alternate setting stuff. Probably still pick up False Hearts, though.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Those alternate settings look mostly fantastic:

"Wikipedia posted:

Demon's city - This setting is a blockaded city whose residents are mostly Overed as in s-CRY-ed.
Heiankyo mononokeroku - This setting is ancient Kyoto (called Heiankyo in the Heian Period). Onmyoujis (their magic powers are brought by the Renegade virus in this setting) are opposed by mononoke monsters.
Lost Eden - The game players of a MMORPG confined in the virtual world try to escape to the real world, as in .hack.
Akihabara - Akihabara as the city setting, including maid cafes.
Rakuin yo, Double Cross ni Asobe (lit. Scar, play in Double Cross) - This setting is based upon Makoto Sanda's light novel ;;SCAR/EDGE series and written by Sanda himself.
Weird Age - This setting is pre-World War II Europe in 1938. Player characters stand against Nazi Germany as it seeks occult power for world conquest.
Kagerou no Senjou (literally. "The Battlefield of Shimmer") - In a fictitious small nation in Eastern Europe, mercenary soldiers using superhuman powers fight in a civil war.
The Two Faces of Tomorrow - This setting is named after James P. Hogan's novel of the same name. Player characters fight against aliens in a space colony.
Masked Heroes - Player characters become superheroes as in an American comic books or Tokusatsu.
End Line - A parallel universe setting. The world, excluding a few Overed, has been conquered by Germs.
Chaos Garden - An animal fantasy setting. All player characters are intelligent animals infected with the Renegade virus on an isolated island.
Omokage Jima (literally "Omokage Island") - A suspenseful variant set in an isolated island dominated by old convention and an enigmatic religion, such as in Higurashi When They Cry.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
That's basically all my favorite ridiculous J-games right there, and DX is already two steps from Persona. Which is better for post-apocalypse Shin Megami Tensei? Demon's City or End Line?

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Demon City is literally the plot of Devil Survivor, so that's a decent place to start.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
So my GM and I, after much scientific study, have reached a conclusion:

Tenra Bansho Zero is an amazing game but the gameplay balance is hosed.

Plus side: You can make Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII. :haw:

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I was honestly a little disappointed with the advanced rulebook, mainly because it was more expensive than the core and while the gameplay additions were top notch, a lot of the fluff seemed to be more or less copy/pasted from the core. Hopefully False Hearts is different in that regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Darksaber posted:

I was honestly a little disappointed with the advanced rulebook, mainly because it was more expensive than the core and while the gameplay additions were top notch, a lot of the fluff seemed to be more or less copy/pasted from the core. Hopefully False Hearts is different in that regard.

It fleshes things out a lot, though. It's disappointing to see it restate stuff but when I needed a go-to NPC when running it recently, it was pretty handy in regards to having the character I needed when I needed them.

Memorial Blossom was probably the worst adventure of the ones I've run so far, though, mainly because though a lot of them rely on the PCs being somewhat ignorant or dumb, Memorial Blossom requires the PCs to be brain-dead not to yank the adventure off the rails. Of course, a lot of this comes down to the heavy-handedness in the way Double Cross is expected to be run, but it's the equivalent of putting a bomb in the PCs' lap and expecting them to just wait around for the villains to light the fuse.

• Locked thread