Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
DN. If our strength has anything at all to do with what others think of us, then a trophy wall is an investment in future power. I'd rather have that than try to raise a Roc and have Tudiya off us when it bites off someone's hand.

Also voting we give Naomi the feathers to have something pretty made. The claws we can sell or sacrifice.

Neraren fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
1. D. If Danal made it past the Roc, he'll make it back.
2. N. Ishamal has been around for a long time. If he thinks it's absolutely impossible to raise the Roc, it's probably impossible. I like the idea of bringing it to Baitel, but I like the idea of keeping it as a trophy even more.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
1D.
2C.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
Maybe Azz can raise it.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

DQ

D is obvious, but why Q?

We get another chance to travel to a new city. We can chill out there, visit the adventurer we saved way back when's house, thank Rimush, all of that at once. We can also make a display to Taanach of what we, the likely future king, really are about. I also like the various "keep it as a trophy" options.

Raising the roc is not a good idea though. I never really liked it, but if it kills someone then we are going to be killed. I am highly doubtful we can Snarls it, because if it's anything like a minotaur, it is the spawn of a demon. Not just a big animal.

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries
1. D
2. N

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

I presumed you would make one knife and then sell the rest of the claws and feathers. With all the stuff going on, I did not think it merited a vote but if you want to write in what to do with them, go for it.

Sir Coq of Nandos posted:

Before I vote, I want to ask Ishamel about the process by which we made Snarls sentient. This is important.
Ishamal frowns and says "So you want a smart, man-eating beast? Clean the water" he says, referring to the latest leg of your training "and many other things after and you might learn to command wild beasts. But not for years."

In response to SerSpook. Ishamal seems to think it is an animal, not a spawn of demons, for whatever that matters.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Guys, we can get a roc later. When we have become a master falconer ourselves, and are strong enough that we can restrain a fully grown roc through raw strength alone.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
1D 2O. Let's cheer dad up.

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

1C 2I Enkidel eat the egg.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
Diog: How much sacrificing to El goes on in our normal day to day Zepath life?

E:

SerSpook posted:

I want to ask Tudiya who among Zepath's Mighty have slain a roc in glorious single combat.

Not us! Paebel helped kinda!

Neraren fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 5, 2014

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

I want to ask Tudiya who among Zepath's Mighty have slain a roc in glorious single combat.

I want to ask Ishamal why we felt stronger after killing the roc.

DO NOT mention our Mighty Meter though. Just say we felt good and strong, when we had been feeling weaker.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Diogines posted:

I presumed you would make one knife and then sell the rest of the claws and feathers. With all the stuff going on, I did not think it merited a vote but if you want to write in what to do with them, go for it.

Ishamal frowns and says "So you want a smart, man-eating beast? Clean the water" he says, referring to the latest leg of your training "and many other things after and you might learn to command wild beasts. But not for years."

In response to SerSpook. Ishamal seems to think it is an animal, not a spawn of demons, for whatever that matters.

Question for ishamal You said before when we were deciding what to do about our world breaking powers that you could make us sleep without aging until such a time as the world was ready for us. Could you do the same to this egg, keep it from hatching but also keep the creature inside from perishing, until such a time as we are wise and powerful enough to train it properly?

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Well actually Ishamal, it's heart, or at least it's mothers- is mine :twisted:

But anyway, gently caress it- we can always try again when we learn Power Word: Tame Animal

1 - CB
2 - Q
, yea we definitely still have to thank King Rimush for, you know, saving our and Danals lives. It'll give us something interesting to do- visit another city (finally!), instead of just sitting around waiting for Danal.

Ask Ishamal
Has something like this, or similar, ever been done by a hero?
What about the trick you can use to control animals?
How did Tudiyas ancestor, the guy on the monument, tame his lion?
Are Rocs demon spawn or simply monstrous animals?, who created them?
What was that boulder beetle thing we saw on our trip?
What's the deal with Zepa's forest- what's it made out of?
Do El/The Melachim watch that far south?, when we raised our altar, we didn't feel anything different, like we had in the past

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

SerSpook posted:

DQ

D is obvious, but why Q?

We get another chance to travel to a new city. We can chill out there, visit the adventurer we saved way back when's house, thank Rimush, all of that at once. We can also make a display to Taanach of what we, the likely future king, really are about. I also like the various "keep it as a trophy" options.

Raising the roc is not a good idea though. I never really liked it, but if it kills someone then we are going to be killed. I am highly doubtful we can Snarls it, because if it's anything like a minotaur, it is the spawn of a demon. Not just a big animal.

I like this. Especially Q.

DQ

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

jazzyhattrick posted:

Question for ishamal You said before when we were deciding what to do about our world breaking powers that you could make us sleep without aging until such a time as the world was ready for us. Could you do the same to this egg, keep it from hatching but also keep the creature inside from perishing, until such a time as we are wise and powerful enough to train it properly?

Yesssssssssssssss.

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

C
Q sounds good. As much as I'd like to keep it, it looks like it'd take too much time from other things. Changed vote.

Nolaterif fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 6, 2014

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

SerSpook posted:

Tudiya has in his wanderings. He went far in his youth, before he was King. Barkof slew one as well. Most of the Mighty Men are a match for it, but they are a rare animal. They lay only one egg a time and decades between each."

SerSpook posted:

I want to ask Ishamal why we felt stronger after killing the roc.

DO NOT mention our Mighty Meter though. Just say we felt good and strong, when we had been feeling weaker.

"Not yet" Ishamal says. "Your control is growing, you have shown restraint and this is good, but you are not ready."

Asahel seemed to disagree...

Neraren posted:

Diog: How much sacrificing to El goes on in our normal day to day Zepath life?
You make socially appropriate offerings for your social class and wealth, on holy days and other days which is factored into your annual income and expenses.

You make many sacrifices with your Balls in the wilderness but monster hunting and offerings to El go hand and hand. After all, an offering is known to help keep away danger at night. Wild beasts and monsters fear El and the smell of the offerings is known to scare them away, the larger the better.

You are not particularly pious so your offerings in Zepath reflect that. You are popular among the clergy and at the Temple as you are seen to bring the sword of El to the wilds. Fighting monsters and taming the wilderness for the cities of Ur is seen as an offering to El as well and a praiseworthy deed, one which you are indeed praised for. If you wanted to make less offerings in Zepath, or more, your annual income would reflect that.

jazzyhattrick posted:

"I am not taking special steps for the egg. Such things are to not to be done except for great cause."

maxhush posted:

Ask Ishamal
Has something like this, or similar, ever been done by a hero?
"They are dangerous but the Mighty Men, most, are more than a match for one."

maxhush posted:

What about the trick you can use to control animals?
"What of it?"

maxhush posted:

How did Tudiyas ancestor, the guy on the monument, tame his lion?
"He found it in the wilderness with a thorn in his paw. He removed it and knowing the tongues of beasts as men could of his generation, he befriended it. To say he tamed it was wrong. Rather, he joined the lion's pride."

Snarks thinks at you... Grew the pack?

maxhush posted:

Are Rocs demon spawn or simply monstrous animals?, who created them?
"They are animals, made alongside all others."

maxhush posted:

What was that boulder beetle thing we saw on our trip?
"I am uncertain, I would have to see it."

maxhush posted:

What's the deal with Zepa's forest- what's it made out of?
"Zepa made it, to endure for all of the generations of his descendants. It was made to last."

maxhush posted:

Do El/The Melachim watch that far south?, when we raised our altar, we didn't feel anything different, like we had in the past
"They always watch."

I can't believe you are picking, so far, one of the more sensible choices! Since when has common sense stood in your way of anything? Poor Larry Bird!

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
We're just going to give it up? The best things take some effing effort. We can do time skips. Come on guys. We can do this.

A

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
If we try U and it doesn't work, can we pick another?

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Question for Ish. Do you thing that Azzael could take care of it?

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

1. D

2. Q

Give enough of the roc feathers to Naomi that she can make a pretty fan or something else she'll like. We should also have some of the aquamarines set into jewelry for her, seeming as she did recently birth our son and all.

I really wanna take the egg to the big temple in Baitel...but you guys are right that we are waaay overdo in giving Rimush a thank you offering and need to remedy that.

Ask Ish... You said my son would not be mighty. And yet...his hands, his growth...?

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897

Diogines posted:

You make socially appropriate offerings for your social class and wealth, on holy days and other days which is factored into your annual income and expenses.

You make many sacrifices with your Balls in the wilderness but monster hunting and offerings to El go hand and hand. After all, an offering is known to help keep away danger at night. Wild beasts and monsters fear El and the smell of the offerings is known to scare them away, the larger the better.

You are not particularly pious so your offerings in Zepath reflect that. You are popular among the clergy and at the Temple as you are seen to bring the sword of El to the wilds. Fighting monsters and taming the wilderness for the cities of Ur is seen as an offering to El as well and a praiseworthy deed, one which you are indeed praised for. If you wanted to make less offerings in Zepath, or more, your annual income would reflect that.

I am asking more because we had our [???] actually observably move, and it was a direct result of killing the Roc. I am curious if our slowly rising meter while in Zepath could be a result of the normal sacrifices we do while in town rather than anything else. During our next sacrifice at the temple, can we try to focus on our meter while the priests do the sacrifice? Or have we already tried that somewhere?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
DA Is what Larry Bird will call us. :colbert:

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
take a couple of feathers to farlal. Ask how well they would serve for making fletching.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
1. C: Good enough.
2. A + C: Any reason we can't hire a fulltime falconer to work with us?

Also, couldn't we build it a temporary roost away from the home, so Naomi won't feel threatened?

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

DQ

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I wanted to sacrifice the Roc egg to El, but the vote to keep the egg already won, and it looks to me like the leading reason for that was to train it up as another beast-companion so I'm going to vote to support what already won.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I have an even better idea. Bronze the egg then pay our artist Ball to paint it to look like the night sky.

Comedy option: Drain the egg and have him paint it, making an expensive and fragile heirloom. Leave it perched precariously on top of a shelf. When our son inevitably accidentally breaks it, disown him until he brings back a new egg.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 5, 2014

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I have an even better idea. Bronze the egg then pay our artist Ball to paint it to look like the night sky.

This is a good idea. Gareb would probably do it free of charge too, seeing as he comes from a very wealthy family and it was said earlier that commissioning Mighty works is more a matter of it the Mighty dude wants to do it or not, and doesn't necessarily cost money.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Just clarifying my vote:

1) C
2) A

The vote won to try and raise it. We knew it would be seen as strange. Ishamal is trying to talk us out of it because it's dangerous if we don't put effort in, not because it's impossible. The roc would be basically the coolest thing. Geez.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
I was all ready to vote to sacrifice on the altar here, then I actually went back and re-read option Q after seeing all the support it got. Going with CQ. Also, Tsyni apparently got something really different out of Ishamal's words than I did. Ishamal pretty much told us we were a complete moron for even thinking about raising this thing.

unimportantguy fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 5, 2014

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Neraren posted:

I am asking more because we had our [???] actually observably move, and it was a direct result of killing the Roc. I am curious if our slowly rising meter while in Zepath could be a result of the normal sacrifices we do while in town rather than anything else. During our next sacrifice at the temple, can we try to focus on our meter while the priests do the sacrifice? Or have we already tried that somewhere?
You have not done this. We can in the next time skip. Generally you place the offering on the altar or hand it to a priest and they do the actual sacrafice. At least in Zepath.

jazzyhattrick posted:

take a couple of feathers to farlal. Ask how well they would serve for making fletching.
You do so, at some point the next day. Falal holds it up to his eye and whistles, impressed. "I've never seen this before. It is rigid, very rigid, which makes for a far sturdier flight. Where did you get these from?"

You tell him that you shot a Roc out of the sky then slew it on the ground. Falal says "My patron is a true hero indeed! I could make arrows with these. They would fly further and hit closer to the mark then normal arrows."

4. BONUS QUESTION! What do you want to do with the feathers?
A. Give them to Falal for arrows which will fly further and straighter, though not enormously so.
B. Give them to my wife, for a happy marriage. She will use them in a garment for herself.
C. Sell them. +14 pounds of silver
D. Save them to sell in Baitel for far more.
E. Give them to Paebel.

F. (Optional add on)But save one for your son. In fact, from now on, save small trophies from your notable kills for him.

G. (Optional add on two!). Actually! Even if I don't mount the Roc egg on my wall, I an well overdue do for a trophy room of my own! I expand my house to build one. I will add bits from notable kills and deeds to it from now on. -4 pounds of silver to expand your home with a new room. We will use a placeholder post on page 1 of the thread as a gallery for your trophy room.

H. Something else. Fill in.

FoxTerrier posted:

Ask Ish... You said my son would not be mighty. And yet...his hands, his growth...?

Ishamal says to you "You have a wife who loves you and a son as well. Things any man could desire. If you truly wants to know, I will tell you, are you sure you wish to? I would suggest you put it out of your mind. Your son is healthy and happy."

Diogines fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 5, 2014

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
BF on bonus question! The idea of little Ash growing up with tokens and trophies of his father's might is a pretty cool one.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

D

These are basically the perfect things to take to Baitel. The arrows would be cool and all, but I feel like getting paid in Baitel is a better thing. Besides, it's also proof of our badassery on the trip.

We can use the cash from the sale in Baitel for something nice for Naomi.

edit; FG as well, build the room and give a feather to Asahel.

Nolaterif
Jan 10, 2003

BFG

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

unimportantguy posted:

BF on bonus question! The idea of little Ash growing up with tokens and trophies of his father's might is a pretty cool one.

Agreed on BF. I don't think we really need extra money all that desperately, and a Roc-Feather Dress would be a really impressive thing, status-wise.

Neraren
Sep 15, 2006
Random Nerd #753897
4) BFG!

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
1: F. "That boy is the biggest glory hound I have ever met, and I may have trained him too well. He can survive in the wilderness for as long as he feels like staying out there. He may not be as strong as myself or Aaron were at that age, but he's damned cunning, he'll come back in a couple of months with some absolutely ridiculous offering."

2:Q We need to get ourselves a smaller, more manageable bird. Having a pet Roc would be cool, but from what Ishamal has told us, at present it will turn this into "Paradise Lost: A
not-mesopotamian Tamagochi game"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

4. B + G Naomi birthed our son and is about to be a single parent while we're in Baitel. Let her have something pretty.

Diogines posted:

Ishamal says to you "You have a wife who loves you and a son as well. Things any man could desire. If you truly wants to know, I will tell you, are you sure you wish to? I would suggest you put it out of your mind. Your son is healthy and happy."

He is my son; for my peace of mind and to be the best possible father I can, I would know what he is and why he seems to have Might.