Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man, Haujobb just fixes up 80s station wagons when they want to make a video with cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUOeibCly70

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
So Combichrist's decided industrial is too small and is just straight going for the metal dollars now?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Oh my god that CC track is so bad.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Did Andy just get Sons of Anarchy on DVD or something?

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

He's just ahead of the curve on that retro nu metal wave.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
While the CC track may be rather poor, Rise by Xenturion Prime is awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRJkIIXGEgg

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Great track, so much AfterEffects camera shake though.

Anyway CC should probably stick with the Grindhouse-style music videos instead of... that thing.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

DeusExMachinima posted:

I don't even know anymore, Mr. LaPlegua. :catstare: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nck4FkKeJ0E NSFW

That facial hair isn't doing him any favours.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Was he the biker or one of the cops?

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Pope Guilty posted:

So Combichrist's decided industrial is too small and is just straight going for the metal dollars now?

I for one am glad he's removing himself from the genre.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Speaking as someone who's despised Combichrist almost forever...

...I almost sort of like it? It's not even remotely metal. I thought the song had potential until I realised there was no more substance than the one riff however. The end amusingly reminds me of Shriekback.

Sounded better than Apop doing rock at least?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

New Thrill Kill in two weeks... samples and tour dates here:

http://www.headfullofnoise.com/2014/04/life-thrill-kill-kult-new-spooky-tricks-album-2014-tour/

Sounds pretty good for what it is. No Canadian dates unfortunately.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
AFTERMATH in Toronto has officially released the final lineup of bands..

Thursday May 22
God Module
Die Sektor
Mordacious
Encephelon
Wychdoktor
Apriorism

Friday May 23
iVardensphere
Ayria
Malhavoc
Gothsicles
Antigen Shift
Promonium Jesters

Saturday May 24
Suicide Commando
FGFC820
Caustic
Displacer
ESA
Volt 9000

Sunday May 25
Aesthetic Perfection
DeVision
Panic Lift
Surgyn
Glass Apple Bonsai
For All the Emptiness

Tickets are pretty dang cheap too.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Is Elysium in Austin a good venue/club? I walked by there on my way to a friend's show at Holy Mountain and it looked fantastic but I haven't even heard of it before.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

SALT CURES HAM posted:

Is Elysium in Austin a good venue/club? I walked by there on my way to a friend's show at Holy Mountain and it looked fantastic but I haven't even heard of it before.
It's pretty nice! I can't speak so much for the club nights, but I like DJ Edminister who plays a lot of synthy stuff I like. Some good bands come through. I think Architect is playing this summer.

There's the usual gother-than-thou snobs but I can't imagine it's worse than any other place.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
The documentary "The Sound of Belgium" about the New Beat genre and Belgian dance music in general is now available online. There's some 242 in it, as well as Lords of Acid, Praga Khan and Neon Judgement so might appeal to a few folk here?

http://watch.tsob.be/

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
Anyone else at Convergence in Chicago? If so come say hi! I'll be the one wearing black.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
They are offering 24 hours of free downloads off of 3teeth's soundcloud if anyone is interested?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Puntification posted:

They are offering 24 hours of free downloads off of 3teeth's soundcloud if anyone is interested?

Oh, I think several people are going to be very interested. Thanks for the headsup!

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Saw this on Facebook, essence captured.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
what am I looking at there, exactly?

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

boo_radley posted:

what am I looking at there, exactly?
Aesthetic Perfection.

Edit: I actually had that playing because that image reminded me it was a thing. The chorus is catchy at least. I want to hear a somber piano cover of this song.

Armor-Piercing fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 2, 2014

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Sloppy posted:

Saw this on Facebook, essence captured.

This is art, put it in the louvre.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
Fucker has already drawn dozens of industrial bands on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/musikpicturesidrawn?fref=ts

Dunno if the above link works but he's totally ripping all systems.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
He's legit brilliant.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Anybody else at empty bottle tonight for Trust?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

boo_radley posted:

it's like their "Jesus built my hotrod" phase.
More true than you think it is.

teethgrinder posted:

Speaking as someone who's despised Combichrist almost forever...

...I almost sort of like it? It's not even remotely metal. I thought the song had potential until I realised there was no more substance than the one riff however. The end amusingly reminds me of Shriekback.
I kind of like them and picked up the album. It's a really mixed bag. It sounds like Andy just discovered Nine Inch Nails, including cribbing the moodier deep tracks, which might have been refreshing if Andy could stay in tune or on time when he's not screaming.

Calling it a "metal album" is partly true. Maggots At the Party and We Were Made to Love You are built around a guitar riff, Love Is a Razorblade sounds like Ministry, and Retreat Hell Pt. 1 sounds like it should have "featuring Tom Morello" tacked to the end of it, but otherwise he's just occasionally swapping in rhythm guitar for a tune that they would have been playing with low-pitch synth buzz otherwise (i.e. Every Day is War).

Really though the whole thing is mostly just more evidence that Andy can't stray very far from the CC formula and still make good music. Every Day is War and We Rule the World, Motherfuckers are pretty good though.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe
For around a week at the end of July/beginning of August I will be in Vancouver for a conference, since the city spawned some of my favourite bands it seems a pity not to see if there's anything happening at the time, do any of the Canadian goons know of industrial-type things worth doing or resources I could use to find out for myself? TIA.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Puntification posted:

For around a week at the end of July/beginning of August I will be in Vancouver for a conference, since the city spawned some of my favourite bands it seems a pity not to see if there's anything happening at the time, do any of the Canadian goons know of industrial-type things worth doing or resources I could use to find out for myself? TIA.

https://www.gothic.bc.ca used to be very active, not sure now.
https://www.facebook.com/GothicBC might be the new incarnation. I lived in Vancouver for years and sure, bands come from there, but the scene is a wasteland.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

mennoknight posted:

https://www.gothic.bc.ca used to be very active, not sure now.
https://www.facebook.com/GothicBC might be the new incarnation. I lived in Vancouver for years and sure, bands come from there, but the scene is a wasteland.

That's a little disappointing but thanks anyway.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Puntification posted:

That's a little disappointing but thanks anyway.

I have a ton of friends in Vancouver who are constantly posting links to industrial shows and dj nights they're going to. I'll ask them if there's a central resource of any kind.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Twiin posted:

I have a ton of friends in Vancouver who are constantly posting links to industrial shows and dj nights they're going to. I'll ask them if there's a central resource of any kind.

That would be great!

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people
Just got the new Thrill Kill Kult album. Seems ok, but nothing really jumps out on a first listen.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Foetus' Nail is the greatest album of all time.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Foetus' Nail is the greatest album of all time.
Due to Mr Thirwell's, how shall we say, 'unassuming' vocal talents it's certainly the most fun to sign along to.

Apparently he released another album in 2013 when I wasn't paying attention. I feel like Flow and newer have been a little samey... There's at least one long, slow song like Kriebabe on each one that sound drat near interchangeable. Is Soak any different?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Dunno, neither of Hole or Thaw grabbed me near as much as Nail so I stopped.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Dunno, neither of Hole or Thaw grabbed me near as much as Nail so I stopped.
Well I bought it anyway of course :cheeky: I haven't listened to his last three albums in a while, but I might like this one more. It feels like it recaptures some of the fun of his earlier work.

I agree that Hole is not near the album that Nail is, but Lust for Death might be his best song from that era. Satan Place is ridiculously catchy too.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
:catstare:

I must have listened to this a million times AND I watched the show on PBS all the time and I never put the two together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN4zRjx0kLg

AYBS clips set to "Going Up" by Coil. Yes, this is a rare Industrial cover of the AYBS theme song! And yes, I was also extremely confused when I first heard this.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
Soooooooo the new antigen shift record I co-produced is streaming from I Die: You Die from now until its release at AFTERMATH next week.

Check it out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
It's both really different than Way of the North (love) but really good. Can we throw money at you yet and where?

edit: The atmospheric feel is there in bits and pieces, so it feels similar to older stuff, but all the various other genres (esp metal) that are incorporated into some tracks make it feel pretty ground breaking without feeling as if too experimental or too much of a mashup.

I've found a lot of electro/ebm from 2000 onwards to be derivative in a bad way (pull a rave whistle from the early 90s and a trance intro from the late 90s and repeat it five hundred times because the fan base is so insular it doesn't recognize the sound from elsewhere), and rare when there was a lot of experimentation going on. Amen breaks? Big beat? Metal? And it works, and every track is complex and changes and genre shifts don't feel forced or repetitive. Nice job, guys. Where are the chiptune complextro grindcore outtakes? ;)

Noricae fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 16, 2014