Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Fucknag posted:

That's gorgeous and I wanna turn one into a camper van.

You'd grow to hate them if you lived somewhere where the roads are clogged with tourists driving them either way too fast or way too slow (seriously with camper vans there is absolutely no middle ground)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

dissss posted:

You'd grow to hate them if you lived somewhere where the roads are clogged with tourists driving them either way too fast or way too slow (seriously with camper vans there is absolutely no middle ground)

Yes, this has been my experience as well.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

D C posted:

Honestly unless you need something bigger I cant imagine why you would get something other then a Chevy Express/GMC Savannah, they are just so good.

First job out of college, I drove an Express 2500 all around the eastern/midwest US, put something like 70,000 miles on it in 3 years. I beat the poo poo out of it, barely kept up with taking it in for maintenance, and the only trouble I ever had was the spare tire lowering device was rusted a bit and didn't release without some swearing and beating when I had a flat tire once.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
So I'm assuming that the Mazda/Alfa roadster is now a Fiat? That sucks, I much prefer the looks of Alfa roadsters to Fiat.

E: Oh and if I was a parent in need of a family mover, I'd buy the poo poo out of any of these new minivans.

travisray2004 fucked around with this message at 20:41 on May 7, 2014

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Oh my god, Porsche's doing it. Cayman GT4 is coming per jalopnik.

http://jalopnik.com/porsche-cayman-gt4-will-be-the-mid-engined-911-ruiner-y-1573124619

If this thing is available in 2017 with a stick I think my dream of thinking about it briefly and then saving 50k might come true.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 8, 2014

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

125k jesus christ, I'll stick with the GTS for almost half the price.

But really it's about time Porsche starts letting the Cayman be the 911 killer it is destined to be.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

That is a bit more expensive than a Viper TA and 1.6 times as expensive as the Z/28. I'm sure it will be a helluva car, but man oh man is that a lot of dough for a Cayman.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
On that subject, the Panamera would be a pretty good looking car if it wasn't a Panamera.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
If it was 2/3rds the size and cost only 50% more than a corvette, i might be interested.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Throatwarbler posted:

On that subject, the Panamera would be a pretty good looking car if it wasn't a Panamera.

Looks like a modern 928 in some ways

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
On that note I saw a BMW X6 for the first time the other day. Not tall enough to be a CUV, not low enough to be car, more than ugly enough to ask WTF the owner was thinking.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MattD1zzl3 posted:

If it was 2/3rds the size and cost only 50% more than a corvette, i might be interested.

So, a 911 then?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Linedance posted:

So, a 911 then?

A 911 is almost exactly the same size as a corvette so no?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I think he meant 2/3rds the size of the Panamera :P

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

ilkhan posted:

On that note I saw a BMW X6 for the first time the other day. Not tall enough to be a CUV, not low enough to be car, more than ugly enough to ask WTF the owner was thinking.

I really can not wait to see X4s rolling around, BMW keeps pumping out awful looking SUV things and people just snap em up. Also the X1 is a loving station wagon I don't care what you say man at the BMW dealership in your fancy suit.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The X1 is a wagon without any of the advantages of a wagon.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

BabyMauler posted:

I really can not wait to see X4s rolling around, BMW keeps pumping out awful looking SUV things and people just snap em up. Also the X1 is a loving station wagon I don't care what you say man at the BMW dealership in your fancy suit.

I just saw a 550i xDrive Gran Turismo on the freeway a few days ago. Brand new, still had paper plates on it. Took me a few seconds to figure out just what the hell I was looking at. Someone dropped 70K+ of their hard earned money on it...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

skipdogg posted:

Someone dropped 70K+ of their hard earned money on it...

Don't worry, they didn't.

They're just spending $700 /month on it to lease it for 3 years before they trade it on the next new monstrosity. So, really only about $26000.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The X1 is a wagon without any of the advantages of a wagon.

The X1 is the cheapest car BMW sells in the US and it shows, no idea what the people who buy them are thinking. A 3 series is in the same ballpark and looks a whole lot better.

Seriously look at this thing

sanchez fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 8, 2014

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Doesn't matter, has roundels.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
X1 has the "more desirable" higher seating position and taller storage space, it's basically a BMW Escape. Better on lovely urban streets too. Built on sturdy old E90 chassis too (I think) and around 176.5 inches long (E46 3 size, so smaller than newer 3 wagon). It also hauls serious rear end if you want to spend money on the turbo 6.

Ugly yes, but not a hideous turd like the X6/X4....and if people buy ugly poo poo like Infiniti FX35 are those BMW's really that much fuglier? they are I know

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 8, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I see them a lot around my urban area, easier to park and more useful than a 3-series.

I also see a lot of Minis, Fiats and JSWs so it's not exactly your average car buying hood.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
There is no such thing as a non-fugly SUV/crossover.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

HotCanadianChick posted:

not even this one? :ohdear:

cause i want this one.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Powershift posted:

not even this one? :ohdear:

cause i want this one.

That's the A-class hatchback :confused:

E: poo poo, that's the GLA. They look really goddamn similar.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

That's the A-class hatchback :confused:

E: poo poo, that's the GLA. They look really goddamn similar.

ahah, checkmate, if you dislike this CUV, you by correlation dislike a 360hp awd hot hatch.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
You either live in denial, or you learn to embrace the ugliness, much like 242/740 owners do.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Seriously, the only difference between the A-class and the GLA-class seems to be the ride height. It is literally the A-class with a lift kit.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I saw someone roll up to the laundromat in a fully decked out brand spankin new 550i GT on rims, just thought it was a funny juxtaposition. Can't afford a place with a washing machine, but a $900/mo lease? No biggie.

I just seriously don't get the sheer amount of cars BMW has now - especially the new 4 series gran coupe. So a 4 door version of the 2 door version of the 4 door version. Right.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Voltage posted:

I saw someone roll up to the laundromat in a fully decked out brand spankin new 550i GT on rims, just thought it was a funny juxtaposition. Can't afford a place with a washing machine, but a $900/mo lease? No biggie.

Way to jump to assumptions. I'm sure there's lots of people that have/can afford a washer that need to use a laundromat for one reason or another. That being said, the GT is abomination.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

travisray2004 posted:

Way to jump to assumptions. I'm sure there's lots of people that have a washer that need to use a laundromat for one reason or another. That being said, the GT is abomination.

The washer in my apartment is tiny, I use a laundromat to clean things like comforters. Or the carpet I had to pull out of the Miata.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
The best part about the 5-series GT is that nice, clean 2010 550i GTs are starting to show up used for about $30k :)

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

VERTiG0 posted:

The best part about the 5-series GT is that nice, clean 2010 550i GTs are starting to show up used for about $30k :)

Ugh, that depreciation. Makes me wonder how they're leasing them now for 700/mo or so. BMW might be losing their rear end on that one.

Laundry Chat: I still go to the Laundromat to do large items like comforters about once a quarter. We have a king sized bed and our bedding just doesn't fit in our washing machine. I also go if we have a poo poo ton of laundry to do at once. We have a nice front load setup at home, but I rather go knock out 12 loads of laundry at once in 2 hours and be done with it than do laundry all loving weekend. Besides where else can you play Ms. PacMan in an 85 degree room at 100% humidity?

edit: I just checked, BMW is estimating 62% residual on their 689/mo 36/mo lease on the 550i or 45,152 on a 72,825 MSRP vehicle.

A CPO 2010 550i with only 23.4K miles on it is listed @ 30,994 right now. A couple of other 2010's are listed at 36 and 37K.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 8, 2014

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

HotCanadianChick posted:

:colbert:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

skipdogg posted:

Ugh, that depreciation. Makes me wonder how they're leasing them now for 700/mo or so. BMW might be losing their rear end on that one.

Don't forget they still get to collect interest on the car loans, which I assume people who want a 5 series but can't afford a new one probably don't have as good credit as those who can, so blah blah higher interest rates blah.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

skipdogg posted:

I don't understand how they can handle 16 different version of each model when Audi doesn't seem to be able to justify bringing any wagons to the US these days. They're either geniuses and hitting niches that no one else will or they're going to lose their rear end by developing cars for niches that only 6 people want.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Thing is most of the variants are 90% BMW parts bin. The only real unique bits are the exterior panels and a few interior bits. If they can find an exploit a niche it will probably pay for the development costs of the failures.

It's like 80s/90s GM, just with a much nicer parts bin and rather than rebadging under a different brand they rebadge with a different number on boot lid.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
They probably have excess capacity to fill in Spartansburg. It's better to slap together a down market SUV than to offer incentives on the hoods of the X3/5s to keep sales up and production rolling.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

oRenj9 posted:

They probably have excess capacity to fill in Spartansburg. It's better to slap together a down market SUV than to offer incentives on the hoods of the X3/5s to keep sales up and production rolling.

The only reason to buy a new BMW is perceived brand cachet and that disappears the moment they begin offering deals like you find on trucks and brands like Ford.

BMW, Mercedes and the like are so aggressive about pushing leases because most of their customers aren't rich and are willing to stretch beyond their normal means to get into their chosen brand. As mentioned, what BMW is doing today is what GM has always done to maintain sales volume, they're just smarter about it than GM.

Doing this also maintains a level of diversity among BMWs on the road and helps hide the fact that the 3 series is a mass produced volume mover on the same level as the Ford Focus.

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Relatively speaking I rarely see X6s or GTs outside of China. The X6 alone must be making a hefty dent in the US trade deficit with China because that's where most of them are probably being sold.

I'm fairly convinced that those in-between models only exist to cater to the wives of communist party officials who have no preconceived notions of what a "sedan", "coupe" or "truck" are supposed to mean and thus just want "all of the above" because more is better right?