Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Nail Rat posted:

I can understand liking his lyrical and conceptual contributions, which I do as well, but "half" is a lot of weight to attribute to lyrics.

Not really. The lyrics and the matter of cosmic fact, optimistically morbid outlook Wayne writes about were one of the biggest factors in getting me into the Lips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Not really. The lyrics and the matter of cosmic fact, optimistically morbid outlook Wayne writes about were one of the biggest factors in getting me into the Lips.

Absolutely this. His lyrics transformed the music for me. They give context to songs that without them would not have the same meaning to me. Embryonic and The Terror are just as interesting lyrically as they are sonically. Even if he wrote them as nonsense, I've found my own meanings to them and they are absolutely half of my flaming lips experience.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

precision posted:

Yeah, Jonathan Donahue :smug:

e: to make this less of a joke post, I think it is probably true from everything I've seen that Wayne really isn't the one that comes up with great music, but he is a hell of an orchestra leader. Donahue's influence is all over Priest and Hit to Death, Ronald with everything in the Warner Bros era, the albums where Wayne mostly wrote the music himself are easily the (musically) weakest Lips albums - Hear it is and Telepathic Surgery

And then Jonathan Donahue totally lost the plot and started writing songs about fairies.

Has any other band gone from incredible to totally lame as quickly as Mercury Rev?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I remember an interview with Steven where they were talking about the writing process and how Wayne comes up with Lyrics. IIRC, They were talking about Do You Realize and Steven said he was thankful for once that Wayne didn't write lyrics about animals or bugs.

I get that some people enjoy his lyrics, but imo most of it's just not that good. I appreciated Wayne more as the orchestra leader in live shows and the driving force behind the band. He's not known for his singing either.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

lil mortimer posted:

And then Jonathan Donahue totally lost the plot and started writing songs about fairies.

Has any other band gone from incredible to totally lame as quickly as Mercury Rev?

I wouldn't say they went lame "quickly". Yerself is Steam, Boces, See You On the Other Side, and Deserter's Songs are all solid gold in my book (with SYOtOS being my favorite, holy poo poo that album rocks).

All is Dream was a step back, but "The Dark is Rising" and "Lincoln's Eyes" are great and as a whole it's a solid album.

After that... yeah... yeah.

Also I will fight anyone who tries to say that Soft Bulletin was better than Deserter's Songs

re: Wayne's lyrics, they are absolutely loving half the band for me, songs like "Felt Good To Burn" are pretty much JUST the lyrics, and gently caress are they good. He hasn't really written any lyrics that floored me lately, but the entire 90s era was platinum that's why I'm pattin' em

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
Uh, Mercury Rev still rules. Snowflake Midnight was a psychedelic fever-dream, and their show supporting it was miles beyond what the Lips have been doing for the last 15 years or so.

mia2000
Feb 8, 2003

This is our song of exultant joy
Wayne fires back.....

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/wayne-coyne-fires-back-at-pathological-liar-kliph-scurlock-20140509

mia2000 fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 9, 2014

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
"I'm sorry. Sorry that people took it the wrong way." :rolleyes:

Sups
Aug 8, 2007

Jimmy Eat World Hunger

I'm an OKC native and a fan of some of their stuff. I've ran into Wayne at local music shows and he's always been nice (Caribou played at The Opolis in Norman and I did a shot with him and some group of people celebrating a birthday and another time I said hello, I think at a The Rapture show at a OKC venue and he was cool).

Anyway, they're really looking bad because of this and a lot of locals are turning their backs on them. It's not good. I mean, how can you represent Oklahoma and do this sort of poo poo? They are kind of like our Rock Music Ambassadors (Leon Russel is too old for that nowadays), and many people wore that as a badge of pride until Wayne went off the deep end.

No one who is passionate about the Flaming Lips likes the current OK gov. She's basically a Tea Partier, which is very distant from their traditional ethos. By aligning himself with her daughter (who is basically some sort of lovely socialite hipster) he's slapping a lot of the OK population in the face and then making it worse his instagram bullshit. I know several people who know Wayne pretty well and they all say he's super nice once you are "on his good side" but until then he's distant and kind of lovely.

To me, it is really clear who is in the wrong with this whole ordeal and it sucks a lot to see Wayne continue his doubling down on this.

Also, Pink Pony is literally terrible. I saw them at the previous year's Norman Music Fest and I couldn't believe all the people who were eating that poo poo up. Laptop pressed play with boring arrangements and mediocre musicians. Most of their stage prescense was the gov's daughter nodding her head to the music behind a laptop she wasn't really operating. Ester Drang came on after and a lesser crowd, which really sucked to see because they're really good.

Anyway, Wayne's becoming harder and harder to forgive and they're really alienating a lot of their audience with all this bullshit.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Good to see him directly apologize for the native American poo poo. I also have to imagine it sucks to wake up one day and everyone on the internet is calling you a racist and threatening to kill you based on something that someone basically retracts a week later.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Blast Fantasto posted:

Good to see him directly apologize for the native American poo poo. I also have to imagine it sucks to wake up one day and everyone on the internet is calling you a racist and threatening to kill you based on something that someone basically retracts a week later.

He didn't though. He hand-waved the laughing at protesters bit and basically said "if my Instagram offends you, don't follow me", which is poo poo. If Kliph really did tune out and refuse to do the side projects then fine. Fire him. But it's incredibly lovely to use an interview that should have been an apology and turn it around into "Kliph wasn't important and no one will miss him." Dude's been with the band 14 years. Even if he's just your touring drummer, he's still a big part of the band.

Wayne is a child.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

It seems really bothersome and telling to me that he uses the word "hater".

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

Blast Fantasto posted:

Sucks to do something lovely and then everyone gets mad?? wtf?

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

WASDF posted:

Sucks to do something lovely and then everyone gets mad?? wtf?

I can be really reductive with what people said too, it's easy:

Kliph: Wayne Coyne is a horrible person and gently caress him aarrrgh.

Kliph, 6 days later: Nevermind guys, LOL! I didn't really mean most of that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just saw this on Twitter. What an rear end in a top hat. I'm more inclined to believe Kliph than I am Wayne. Kliph actually admitted his faults and sounded genuine about the whole situation. Meanwhile Wayne is saying that talking about the Kliph situation is taking away from time that could be spent talking about what they're doing with Miley Cyrus :cripes:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
It's really strange that at first he claims to have loved Kliph and then says multiple times "what a horrible, spiteful person" he is.

Also "the only reason Kliph knows anything about Native American issues is he has Native American friends" is a very strange criticism to levy.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 9, 2014

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats
Wayne does not come across well in this interview. He seems so defensive, and has a perfect retort to everything Kliph said. Plus, the part about his text messages sounding bad out of context. What context do they not sound awful in?

He lacks humility. Kliph at least admitted he isn't a perfect person, and that he can be a piece of poo poo, Wayne is just using this as an opportunity to be a "hater"

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

chime_on posted:

Uh, Mercury Rev still rules. Snowflake Midnight was a psychedelic fever-dream, and their show supporting it was miles beyond what the Lips have been doing for the last 15 years or so.

I love their first two albums, but everything else is pretty much the opposite of what I like in my music. I guess the third one is OK as well. They lost their balls.

quote:

I can be really reductive with what people said too, it's easy:

Kliph: Wayne Coyne is a horrible person and gently caress him aarrrgh.

Kliph, 6 days later: Nevermind guys, LOL! I didn't really mean most of that.

That's not really what Kliph did. Kliph was responding to the rumors floating all over the Internet about his being fired due to the headdress thing. He started going on and on about that and brought in some other aspects of Wayne's personality to illustrate the tension in the band. Some sites picked up on the "Wayne Coyne is a racist" angle and blasted it all over the internet, so Kliph came back and made it easier to follow and also made sure to place a lot of blame on himself.

turnip kid fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 9, 2014

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

Wayne comes across even worse after doing this interview, and people who point out that he sounds like a child are spot-on.

Wayne posted:

I don't publicly ever say it, but I live in a neighborhood that was predominantly Native American in the late Seventies and Eighties. I haven't done it publicly, but there's cases of me helping Native Americans. It's all just Internet hate, you know?

It's also bizarre reading him say how Kliph being bad on social media was so awful, and then later on in the interview he goes on to say,

Wayne posted:

I thought [Pink Pony] making fun of the protestors seemed stupid. I thought their music was stupid. I thought their attitude was wrong. And I just thought, "Why don't you just go out there and play your music, tell them you're sorry and play some cool music, and that would be what the festival is about?" And Pink Pony handled it badly. I agree with all that.

But she's still my friend who I'm not going to throw away. I'm not going to jump on and say, "Well, now that I realize that you handle social media badly, you can't be my friend."

...yet he said that's a part of why he fired Kliph earlier in the interview? Guy's bullshitting like crazy.

Organs fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 9, 2014

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
The comments are like 95% Wayne hate.

He really stuck his foot in it.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Wayne posted:

I thought their music was stupid.

I agree with Wayne, guys.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
That interview was awful and a total hack job attempt at damage control. Talk about trying to put out a fire with gasoline.

It's kinda telling that Nathan Roberts (who was their drummer from 1989-1991) posted this on Kliph's facebook earlier today:

"Take heart Kliph... Remember, he said the EXACT same thing about me...almost word for word."

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe

chime_on posted:

Absolutely, it's one hell of a trip, especially "Dream of a Young Girl as a Flower." If you wrote them off after The Secret Migration, please give this a listen. They're recording a new album now, finally, and I can't wait.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
That is one of the most spiteful interviews I have ever read. And Wayne is the one calling Kliph full of hate.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If Kliph was such a horrible person and such a hater, and at the same time of no real importance to the band, why was he not fired a long time ago? I don't get Wayne's logic in this at all, it just sounds like a desperate attempt at damage control.

Kliph was one of the nicest and most approachable guys in the band, I don't see how he could have gone this long being a "hater" without everyone else knowing about it. Thank god Wayne warned us! :rolleyes:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zh1 posted:

Absolutely, it's one hell of a trip, especially "Dream of a Young Girl as a Flower." If you wrote them off after The Secret Migration, please give this a listen. They're recording a new album now, finally, and I can't wait.

I'll give it a shot.

Also, I had no idea Kliph was older than me.

Also, yeah, Wayne actually using the word "hater" somehow is the worst thing.

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe

precision posted:

I'll give it a shot.

I hate to continue the derail, but if See You on the Other Side is your favorite Rev album...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6ZErVNm-qI

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

precision posted:

I'll give it a shot.

I hate the #drugmusicthatdestroyshate tag he uses with a goddamn passion.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 10, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zh1 posted:

I hate to continue the derail, but if See You on the Other Side is your favorite Rev album...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6ZErVNm-qI

:aaa:

Goddamn, you're right, gonna have to pick this up ASAP. Thanks.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I was hoping while reading that article that Wayne would make some good points and come off looking a bit better. Nope...he looked a whole lot worse.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
How many ex-members of The Flaming Lips are on speaking terms with Wayne?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

lil mortimer posted:

How many ex-members of The Flaming Lips are on speaking terms with Wayne?

Donahue doesn't hate him (then again, he left, rather than getting fired). Ronald is on speaking terms with Wayne, but doesn't really speak to anyone much. Mark Coyne obviously is still good with Wayne. I don't know anything about English or Nathan Roberts, but I think I remember Roberts being sour on them. Neither of them were interviewed for Fearless Freaks, which probably means something.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
surfing electrode posted something Nathan Roberts said to Kliph on Facebook. He said that Wayne did the same thing to him when he was fired.

I asked because I saw this somewhere:

quote:

For anyone who is surprised by this behavior, here is part of Wayne's interview with NME in May 1999, where he talks about former member Jonathan Donahue: "In 1989, touring to support the release of their third album, 'Telepathic Surgery', the Flaming Lips fell in with Jonathan Donahue, a young student who booked gigs for the university in Buffalo. 'We're a lot alike' reckons Wayne Coyne 'I'm not a drug-addled, self-destructive megalomaniac, though...I have a little megalo, but no maniac."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, there was obviously some tension there, and I've never really thought it was just a coincidence that the Lips did Soft Bulletin right after Deserter's Songs was a massive critical hit.

quote:

We were all aware of that. As we were making Zaireeka and beginning Soft Bulletin, we'd listen to the Deserter's Songs stuff as well. We were all making the same kind of trip at the same time, especially Jonathan [Donahue, of Mercury Rev, and formerly Flaming Lips].

Deserter's Songs and The Soft Bulletin have often been compared. Sonically, it might be said that they both offer their own visions of cosmic Americana. And of course the Lips and the Rev have an interconnected history via Jonathan Donahue and Dave Fridmann. Would it be fair to say there was a sense of competition between the bands, a friendly rivalry?

WC: I wouldn't say competition. What happened with Zaireeka and The Soft Bulletin was us just doing our own trip, and I think the same thing was happening with Mercury Rev.

e: also, ha. "'We're a lot alike' reckons Wayne Coyne 'I'm not a drug-addled, self-destructive megalomaniac". "...yet. Get back to me in a decade.

precision fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 10, 2014

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe
Donahue is in Fearless Freaks, in a short segment. He says something like "I never regretted a second of my time in the Flaming Lips." There's also a recent picture of him hugging Wayne I came across not too long ago.

I always sort of wondered how much of those early 90's albums were created by Jonathan. I can definitely hear his influence on "Felt Good to Burn," for example, my favorite track from Hit to Death in the Future Head. There's also a live Rev album that has the band performing "There You Are," so I can assume he wrote that song? I've never seen any kind of attribution and it sounds like Wayne doesn't really write the music, only the lyrics. So were those two mostly Jonathan?

juan the owl
Oct 26, 2007

THERE'S A MONSTER AT THE END OF THIS POST!!
Oh my god.

Wayne posted:

The only reason he knows anything about Native American issues is he's trying to join this group that I think their family is Native American.

The band he's talking about is Skating Polly, two teenage sisters who play awesome K Records-style punk. And yes, one of them is Native American. Kliph mixed some songs on their second album and they have a running joke about how he wants to join their band but they always tell him no. They were pretty outspoken about the original Pink Pony headdress stuff so I guess now they're on Wayne's bad side too.

Man, this bugs me on so many different levels. For one thing, I think it's kind of illuminating that Wayne thinks that the only way someone could have an opinion he doesn't share is if they're being disingenuous or out to get something. For another, he goes on and on about how we should be nice to Christina Fallin because she's so young, only to then belittle people who are even younger. He knows they know he's talking about them too, and I can't help but feel like this is his attempt to put them in their place somehow. Which is so pathetic it's unbelievable.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Skating Polly are great and super talented.

Not gonna lie, I'm glad that the depths of Wayne's douchiness are finally coming out. That hit piece against Kliph is hilarious for just how awful it is. Like that was how he thought he was going to bury this whole thing?

And I say this as the dude with the Flaming Lips avatar.

Surfingelectrode fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 11, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If the guy from Polyphonic Spree ALSO turns out to be a secret douche I'm done. Done I tell you! :mad:

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

precision posted:

If the guy from Polyphonic Spree ALSO turns out to be a secret douche I'm done. Done I tell you! :mad:

I saw them about a year and a half ago and he hung around after the show. Dude was super nice and told me how much it meant to him that I had asked him to sign my copy of Tripping Daisy's Jesus Hits Like the Atom Bomb. Tim DeLaughter rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Surfingelectrode posted:

I saw them about a year and a half ago and he hung around after the show. Dude was super nice and told me how much it meant to him that I had asked him to sign my copy of Tripping Daisy's Jesus Hits Like the Atom Bomb. Tim DeLaughter rules.

Yea when I saw them last he shook the hands of literally everyone at the show before the opening band. Then they played three 20 minute encores :stare:

• Locked thread