Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Has anyone tried themselves both a 1440p screen and a larger 1080p screen? I imagine how each simulator does it's low LOD models also makes a difference with visibility at a distance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

So in DCS World, a lil' file named Missiles_prb_coeff located in the Config/Weapons folder was calling my name. Popped the little poo poo open in Open Office. Looked through all the stuff in there, and found this line.

quote:

-- базовая вероятность смены цели для тепловых ракет (до поправок на ИК-сигнатуру и ракурсы цели)
k2 = 0.05, -- увеличиваем, если хотим быстрее сорвать тепловую ракету

Is that so? Lemme see what Google translator says about that!

quote:

- The probability of changing the basic goals for thermal rocket (before amendments to the IR signature and target angles)
k2 = 0.05, - increase, if we want to quickly rip thermal rocket

Well poo poo, I ~HATE~ ripping thermal rockets! Think I'll change that k2= 0.05 to k2 = 0.01.

Suddenly, IRCM/flares arent stupidly effective. I am now content.

Finally learned how to use the JTAC properly, and restart my engines/power-systems if they're damaged in flight :getin:

Though I still like taking selfies when I crash-land in fields :(

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 9, 2014

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Grand Canyon finally finished, weighing in at a hefty 62gb.

Screenshots and a torrent of it tomorrow.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Has anyone tried themselves both a 1440p screen and a larger 1080p screen? I imagine how each simulator does it's low LOD models also makes a difference with visibility at a distance.

Jarmak posted:

I replaced my 32 HDTV with a 27" 1440p Monitor, its a little smaller but wow the clarity.

Jarmak posted:

For War Thunder at least I find 1440p to be far superior, I can much more readily identify planes and see their movements.

edit: also its stupidly gorgeous, and I can compensate slightly by moving the screen close to my face

Really you can fully compensate for screen size by sitting closer to the screen

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yeah I just moved my 24" closer to the front of the desk and it makes a noticeable difference. I bet I'd be just fine with a 27" monitor some day.

Is that a normal aspect ratio for a computer monitor? Sorry if that's a stupid question, but I know some sizes of TVs don't completely match up with their native resolutions.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]

e.pilot posted:

Grand Canyon finally finished, weighing in at a hefty 62gb.

Screenshots and a torrent of it tomorrow.

I'm really looking forward to this and thank you for your efforts and teaser pics. It will work with FSX right?

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

The Ferret King posted:

Yeah I just moved my 24" closer to the front of the desk and it makes a noticeable difference. I bet I'd be just fine with a 27" monitor some day.

Is that a normal aspect ratio for a computer monitor? Sorry if that's a stupid question, but I know some sizes of TVs don't completely match up with their native resolutions.

The amount of inch a monitor holds does not say anything about the aspect ratio.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cc/Screens_png.png

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Grawl posted:

The amount of inch a monitor holds does not say anything about the aspect ratio.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cc/Screens_png.png

I assume he meant is 1440p a normal aspect ratio and the answer is yes (2560x1440 iirc)

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
That's what I was getting at, thanks. I knew I was phrasing it poorly when I posted it but I wasn't sure how to change it.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Hidden Asbestos posted:

I'm really looking forward to this and thank you for your efforts and teaser pics. It will work with FSX right?

Sure does. :)

Here's the torrent:
http://itsfabulo.us/misc/Grand_Canyon_FSX.torrent

It's been a while since I've hosted a torrent, please let me know if you have any problems downloading it.

And the screenshots:
http://imgur.com/a/I2d3N

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 9, 2014

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

So I booted up IL2:BOS quick and it looks drop dead gorgeous, but the view seems to be set so that even if if I lean back all the way back in my chair I still can't see my gauges without looking down and blinding myself, it just seems like the forward/back movement of the trackir doesn't do much, the camera control settings page kind of baffles me though, anyone have any luck making this better?

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]

e.pilot posted:

Sure does. :)

Here's the torrent:
http://epie.sytes.net/Grand_Canyon_FSX.torrent

It's been a while since I've hosted a torrent, please let me know if you have any problems downloading it.

And the screenshots:
http://imgur.com/a/I2d3N

Sadly, it times out in uTorrent and trying to download the file through Chrome. As does visiting http://epie.sytes.net/ directly so it may be an access from the UK problem, or it may be a bad time, or ... I don't know much about torrents either :)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Mine's stuck at "connect to peers"

E: There it goes!

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 9, 2014

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

Colonial Air Force posted:

Mine's stuck at "connect to peers"

E: There it goes!

For me the site doesn't work, can you re-host the torrent somewhere (sendspace or something)? I can help seed with a 100mbit seedbox.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Jarmak posted:

So I booted up IL2:BOS quick and it looks drop dead gorgeous, but the view seems to be set so that even if if I lean back all the way back in my chair I still can't see my gauges without looking down and blinding myself, it just seems like the forward/back movement of the trackir doesn't do much, the camera control settings page kind of baffles me though, anyone have any luck making this better?

Use the keys to move the pilots head press F10 to save head position and bind a key to zoom in and out. The FOV is narrow no matter what but I was able to get something that didn't make me motion sick

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Burno posted:

Use the keys to move the pilots head press F10 to save head position and bind a key to zoom in and out. The FOV is narrow no matter what but I was able to get something that didn't make me motion sick

FOV should be analogous to zoom, I think the real issue is the range of motion for the pilot's head forward/backward for TrackIR is too short. For example in War Thunder if I center my TrackIR I can see the top gauges, if I lean in my gun-sight fills my screen, and if I lean back I can see my entire cockpit. In BOS my range of motion (by default) seems to be leaned it the gun-sight fills my view, leaned all the way back I can barely see the edge of my top gauges (but not read them).

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
So what's a good game for someone new to flight sims? I've looked over the list in the OP and so far I've tried DCS (the default Russian plane) and it's pretty fun, but a lot harder then I expected - I really need to set aside a large chunk of time to get used to it.

Should I just try out everything I can, or is there any games that fall into the "you should play this first" category? I do tend to favor games with combat though.

Also, I have a HOTAS, but now I really want a TrackIr, because using a hat switch to look around while doing everything else is a bit of a pain.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

Jarmak posted:

FOV should be analogous to zoom, I think the real issue is the range of motion for the pilot's head forward/backward for TrackIR is too short. For example in War Thunder if I center my TrackIR I can see the top gauges, if I lean in my gun-sight fills my screen, and if I lean back I can see my entire cockpit. In BOS my range of motion (by default) seems to be leaned it the gun-sight fills my view, leaned all the way back I can barely see the edge of my top gauges (but not read them).

You can adjust this with the track IR curves. You won't find a lot of pre-made ones out there because its all highly dependent on distance and angle from the sensor etc.

Spend some time playing with the curves in the TrackIR software. It's worth it.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Grawl posted:

For me the site doesn't work, can you re-host the torrent somewhere (sendspace or something)? I can help seed with a 100mbit seedbox.

My firewall was blocking traffic from outside of the US, I fixed it.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Hidden Asbestos posted:

Sadly, it times out in uTorrent and trying to download the file through Chrome. As does visiting http://epie.sytes.net/ directly so it may be an access from the UK problem, or it may be a bad time, or ... I don't know much about torrents either :)

See my previous post. :)

E: or try http://itsfabulo.us/misc/Grand_Canyon_FSX.torrent

e.pilot fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 9, 2014

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Honestly, I feel like everyone should fiddle with the basics in a Cessna at some point. Learning to fly in a sim really isn't far from learning to fly in real life. That's the whole point of a sim, after all.

Basic knowledge of how an airplane flies and reacts to control inputs pays dividends later, when you're trying to put pipper on target.

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]

Thanks for fabulous alternate, torrent is working now :tipshat:

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

It's bad practice to rely on UDP, and not have any working trackers connected to it. The seedbox I use doesn't "understand" UDP, and the two trackers are both rejecting the torrent. Can you re-create the torrent with working trackers?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Grawl posted:

It's bad practice to rely on UDP, and not have any working trackers connected to it. The seedbox I use doesn't "understand" UDP, and the two trackers are both rejecting the torrent. Can you re-create the torrent with working trackers?

Yeah I'll have to do it when I get home for work tonight.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
So, I switched to Prepar3d. What are the "must have" add-ons?

90_Minute
Oct 22, 2008
Hey e.pilot, any chance I can get my hands on (some portion of) the Colorado files? Not sure how they are broken up but would be most interested in the Front Range, Chaffee and Summit County. Or let me know if they're available somewhere already. Thanks!

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

90_Minute posted:

Hey e.pilot, any chance I can get my hands on (some portion of) the Colorado files? Not sure how they are broken up but would be most interested in the Front Range, Chaffee and Summit County. Or let me know if they're available somewhere already. Thanks!

Yeah once I find a good tracker I'll seed the whole thing (and reseed the Grand Canyon one) you can pick out the areas you want by lat/long.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Grawl posted:

So, I switched to Prepar3d. What are the "must have" add-ons?

Technically speaking just a weather engine like OpusFSX. Textures/scenery/aircraft as you wish eg REX, UTX, GEX, UKVFR, PMDG, Carenado. Maybe accufeel?

Also, Plan G.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

imperialparadox posted:

So what's a good game for someone new to flight sims? I've looked over the list in the OP and so far I've tried DCS (the default Russian plane) and it's pretty fun, but a lot harder then I expected - I really need to set aside a large chunk of time to get used to it.

Should I just try out everything I can, or is there any games that fall into the "you should play this first" category? I do tend to favor games with combat though.

Also, I have a HOTAS, but now I really want a TrackIr, because using a hat switch to look around while doing everything else is a bit of a pain.

War Thunder is good for this.

First of all, it's free.

Has a joystick mode and a cartoonish mouse aim mode that has the largest active playerbase for a game like this - though that's mostly due to the fact that many players only use the mouse.

You can fly with a joystick in any mode. The casual modes also allow for things like 3rd person view, reloading in the air and planes not breaking from overspeeding which will let you focus more on basic maneuvering until you get a good grasp for it... all while flying through what looks like a Michael Bay battle scene.

The fighting is basically entirely focused on guns which I personally like because it makes maneuvering the most important thing after initial positioning. The reason why I don't play DCS so much is because you basically just lock-on to planes and kill them beyond visual range.

The biggest flaw of this game is that is has an unlock system in which you have to grind XP to get to the next plane. It's a stupid, stupid thing and makes most tryhard players fly to win instead of fly for fun. But this game is great from level 0 to endgame because it doesn't matter so much what you fly as long as you fly it well you should be able to do fine and have fun.

There's also Rise of Flight which is focused on WWI type of planes. Though those planes are mostly only fun due to their limitations like low top speeds and lovely guns with no reflex sights.

imperialparadox posted:

I do tend to favor games with combat though.

I feel the same way. The main reason for this is that even if you're getting shot at, flying and trying to land a damaged plane is really fun and the crashes are usually a lot more spectacular. It's one of the few types of games where dying a lot can be just as fun as being a cyber-ace and killing everyone.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
Yeah I've actually played War Thunder in arcade mode a fair bit, though I've only tried "realistic" mode a few times. I guess it wouldn't make a bad bridge to get used to a flight stick though, it was quite a different experience.

I've never played Rise of Flight though.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
IL2 1946 is also good.

On Steam and Gog.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Counter point: DCS A-10.

It's scalable. Flying with game avionics and sim flight modeling would be a good way to learn at your own pace. You don't have to learn proper instrument landing or other poo poo but the sim can do all of that in a variety of conditions.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Some other games I can think off the top of my head:

Battle of Britain 2: Wings of Victory
B-17 Flying Fortress: The Mighty 8th
Third Wire games like Strike Fighters 2 / Wings Over Vietnam / Wings Over Europe etc.

Depends on what you want in a combat sim

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

imperialparadox posted:

Yeah I've actually played War Thunder in arcade mode a fair bit, though I've only tried "realistic" mode a few times. I guess it wouldn't make a bad bridge to get used to a flight stick though, it was quite a different experience.

I've never played Rise of Flight though.

The Sim mode in War Thunder is essentially IL-2 but with anti-aliasing and harder spotting mechanics. The only thing Il-2 really has over it is that it only costs like :10bux: to have all the planes in the game and finding targets is easier - both of which are hampered by the fact that you have to go out of your way to ever get to actually play with another human being. If you're going to actually spend money you might as well :retrogames: on the new Il-2: Battle of Stalingrad that is on the Rise of Flight engine, which IMO is the best unless you like to press all the little buttons in the cockpit then DCS is the way to go.

That is... until they update the Su-27 so that you can do silly stuff like pugachev's cobra then get shot down by someone BVR.

Thief fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 10, 2014

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I never really played much of it other than loving around on one or two missions, but Wings of Prey was always pretty fun to me. I don't think I've ever heard anyone mention it before. I don't know what level of realism it is but it seemed on par with il-2 and is made by Gaijin, same guys who made war thunder and is essentially their precursor to it.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Wings of Prey is literally War Thunder but costs money and lacks all of the updates they've added since War Thunder. If single player missions are your thing, they're already in War Thunder for free and you can play them with friends like proper multiplayer co-op.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Welp, didn't know that. I've just had it on steam since forever ago. :shrug:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Daimo posted:

Technically speaking just a weather engine like OpusFSX. Textures/scenery/aircraft as you wish eg REX, UTX, GEX, UKVFR, PMDG, Carenado. Maybe accufeel?

Also, Plan G.

Does all of that stuff work with P3d? Pmdg I though specifically didn't.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
You can also slap your wings of prey serial into WT and get free gold currency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

So... DCS: MQ-9 Reaper could be a neat idea, I think :P

Dynamic campaign: Raid ALL SORTS of weddings!

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 10, 2014