Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

NeuralSpark posted:

Find My iPhone from Apple's iCloud.com will activate something like a firmware password that requires a 4 digit PIN to get past but that requires the device to check in.

It's not a firmware password, so it's easily bypassed. It boots to the recovery HD and prompts for the passcode. Internet Recovery bypasses it completely and allows the drive to be erased and the OS reinstalled, at which point it has no memory of your Apple ID or your desire for it to check in. It would be really nice if Find My Mac turned on a firmware password, but alas.

gmq, it's quite likely that the person who obtained your laptop will not know how to do that. My fiancée's iMac was stolen and the person who had it thought that moving all of her files to the trash was sufficient to wipe the machine. She didn't have Find My Mac turned on, but luckily she had CrashPlan installed and it continued to back up. It also backed up the thief's student loan application, complete with his name/address/phone/SSN/references, and the police got the computer back the next day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Horace posted:

Having an irritating problem with my Late 2013 Retina MBP.

When the screen switches off due to inactivity, half the time the wifi connection is lost. It says its connected, pages attempt to load but I have to turn wifi off and on again before it works properly. No other computer or phone on the wifi network has this problem.

I have tried:
  • Resetting the router and computer etc
  • Deleted all saved networks in Network Preferences, all their passwords in Keychain and repaired permissions
  • Set service order to put Wifi top of the list.
  • Latest version of everything

There are no other issues with the wifi - connection is full speed and completely stable otherwise. Here's the console log from the last time it lost its connection after waking: http://pastebin.com/megGxXaP

Any ideas appreciated, It's becoming really tiresome turning wifi on and off ten times a day.

This is a bug in 10.9.2. I hit the same problem with my rMBP. :(

http://www.midwesternmac.com/blogs/jeff-geerling/2013-macbook-air-wifi-problems
http://www.reddit.com/r/osx/comments/23fn21/osx_1092_rmbp_late_2013_wifi_keeps_disconnecting/
http://howtoapple.com/mavericks-wifi-issues-fix/
https://www.google.com/search?q=mavericks+wifi+issue

I've tried everything to fix the problem. Nothing recommended seems to fix it; it appears that the wifi driver goes into low power state prematurely and disconnects. I work around it by using NoSleep and Caffiene to keep the laptop awake as long as possible.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

jink posted:

http://www.midwesternmac.com/blogs/jeff-geerling/2013-macbook-air-wifi-problems
http://www.reddit.com/r/osx/comments/23fn21/osx_1092_rmbp_late_2013_wifi_keeps_disconnecting/
http://howtoapple.com/mavericks-wifi-issues-fix/
https://www.google.com/search?q=mavericks+wifi+issue

I've tried everything to fix the problem. Nothing recommended seems to fix it; it appears that the wifi driver goes into low power state prematurely and disconnects. I work around it by using NoSleep and Caffiene to keep the laptop awake as long as possible.

I've had good luck with turning off Bluetooth most of the time, and re-enabling it when I use Bluetooth devices after Wifi is up and running. But yeah, annoying.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

Thanks for the responses.

jink posted:

I'm actually pleased to hear it's not just me suffering it! Looks like I'm heading down this rabbit hole of deleting various plists and fingers crossed for a 10.9.3 fix.

Kingnothing posted:

Delete the networking plist and reboot?
Worth a shot!

fordan posted:

I've had good luck with turning off Bluetooth most of the time, and re-enabling it when I use Bluetooth devices after Wifi is up and running. But yeah, annoying.
I do leave Bluetooth on, I'll try turning it off and see if that helps.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Whoever stole my mac hasn't connected it to the Internet so I'm starting to think about alternatives. I'm thinking about a 13" retina but I'm not sure about it. It would replace a mid 2012 Air. Any opinions?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Yes.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

gmq or something posted:

Whoever stole my mac hasn't connected it to the Internet so I'm starting to think about alternatives. I'm thinking about a 13" retina but I'm not sure about it. It would replace a mid 2012 Air. Any opinions?

Yes: The Mac software thread is THE best place to solicit opinions on hardware, particularly without any info about your needs. Also, 8 GB of memory may or may not be enough, depending on your needs.

Mr. Smile Face Hat fucked around with this message at 09:33 on May 10, 2014

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
Try asking here.

Soup in a Bag
Dec 4, 2009
I'm getting a Mini ready to sell and want to do a clean install of Mavericks. Snow Leopard was the original OS and it's a direct upgrade from there to Mavericks so I figure that's okay as far as money/licensing goes. (isn't it?)

When I go to install Mavericks, it wants an Apple ID and password. Will that be saved or used for anything apart from the initial installation?

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Soup in a Bag posted:

When I go to install Mavericks, it wants an Apple ID and password. Will that be saved or used for anything apart from the initial installation?

The Apple ID in the installer is just for you to authenticate to Apple in order to download the install package. The first user will still be prompted for their own Apple ID.

License-wise, it's sort of a grey area since your license to Mavericks only applies to Macs that you own and control. The Internet Police won't be bashing down your door over it though, so I wouldn't lose any sleep.

Rand McNally
May 20, 2007
I have a new rMBP running 10.9.2, and I've installed Parallels 9 to run Snow Leopard Server. Currently running 10.6.3. I'm having an issue trying to run an external USB 3.0 drive. When I plug it in, the popup asks which OS I'd like to mount it on, and I choose the VM. It then does not appear, but shows up in System Profiler as attached. It also mounts to Mavericks without any issues. It reads a thumb drive without issue (albeit formatted FAT32).

Is there something I'm missing? The drive is formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Rand McNally posted:

I have a new rMBP running 10.9.2, and I've installed Parallels 9 to run Snow Leopard Server. Currently running 10.6.3. I'm having an issue trying to run an external USB 3.0 drive. When I plug it in, the popup asks which OS I'd like to mount it on, and I choose the VM. It then does not appear, but shows up in System Profiler as attached. It also mounts to Mavericks without any issues. It reads a thumb drive without issue (albeit formatted FAT32).

Is there something I'm missing? The drive is formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

You might have to install some variety of USB3 driver in Snow Leopard. It didn't ship with support for anything beyond 2.0, as far as I'm aware.

Rand McNally
May 20, 2007

Sonic Dude posted:

You might have to install some variety of USB3 driver in Snow Leopard. It didn't ship with support for anything beyond 2.0, as far as I'm aware.

The drive works on the partition of Snow Leopard on my iMac, but it's running 10.6.8. I'll try that. Thanks!

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

I've encountered more irritating bugs in Mavericks than any other Mac OS I've used.

Safari's just started doing that annoying thing where you swipe to go back and the page moves a few pixels and then the tab completely locks up. I've already had to stop my laptop sleeping because of this wifi loss bug, and before that had already stopped downloading large files in Firefox because the computer would put itself to sleep mid download. On top of that, a couple of times I've completely lost all sound after unplugging the headphones.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
What I've found triggers the wifi bug is having my wireless headphones paired. Having Bluetooth on to run the Magic Mouse doesn't affect the wifi when it comes back from sleep (although there is a customary second-long wait while it reauthenticates)

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

I'm still having it with Bluetooth turned off. I can't reliably reproduce the bug. I thought I'd cured it by clearing out all the saved networks (there were dozens of them, I didn't realise it copied across every free wifi I've used on my iPhone!) but it came back after a couple of days.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Soup in a Bag posted:

I'm getting a Mini ready to sell and want to do a clean install of Mavericks. Snow Leopard was the original OS and it's a direct upgrade from there to Mavericks so I figure that's okay as far as money/licensing goes. (isn't it?)

Officially? Maybe not, since (as was mentioned above) the license for OS X is genuine Apple hardware you own and control. Practically? Apple has shown, both in the lack of product keys and the fact that Mavericks is free, that they make far more off hardware sales, so generally consider the genuine Apple hardware requirement to be the only copy protection worth enforcing. In any case, there's nothing preventing you from selling the Mac with 10.9, and you'll always have a license to use Mavericks on a Mac... as long as you have a Mac to run Mavericks on.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
In Mavericks, whenever I initiate a restart and I have some application opens, I guess it tries to re-open this state once I boot up. Is there anyway to disable this? Every time it basically hangs and I have to hard reset.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

lol internet. posted:

In Mavericks, whenever I initiate a restart and I have some application opens, I guess it tries to re-open this state once I boot up. Is there anyway to disable this? Every time it basically hangs and I have to hard reset.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/124367/stop-mavericks-from-relaunching-applications

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

lol internet. posted:

When the restart dialogue pops up, make sure reopen apps is unchecked.

If it is, go to system preferences>users>login items. Unchecking just hides them, you need to select it and hit the minus button.

If that doesn't work, you need to check the loginitems folder in both the system and user libraries.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Is there any way for me to see how many files are in a folder (and its subfolders) without counting the folders themselves?

For example:
>Folder 1
>>file.doc
>>Folder 2
>>>file2.doc
>>>file3.doc
>>>Folder 3
>>>>file4.doc

If I open inspector while Folder 1 is selected, it says there are 6 items. I want it to tell me that there are 4.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

code:
cd (drag folder from Finder into Terminal here)
find . -type f | wc -l

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Pivo posted:

code:
cd (drag folder from Finder into Terminal here)
find . -type f | wc -l

This...kinda seems like it's working. Could it be counting hidden files as well?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

angor posted:

This...kinda seems like it's working. Could it be counting hidden files as well?

Definitely.

code:
[@dev1 sandbox]$ touch .hidden
[@dev1 sandbox]$ find . -type f
./.hidden
./index.html
You'll want to use

code:
[@dev1 sandbox]$ find . -type f -not -name ".*"
./index.html
Run it without the pipe to see what it's counting. (Note I'm not on a Mac right now but on a Debian machine, I hope GNU find works similar to BSD find, but you may need to look up the man page to find the proper syntax to exclude certain file names - you're looking for anything that starts with a dot)

edit: kay remoted into a Mac, yeah BSD find will do the same thing, good to go.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 12, 2014

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Woah, ok I'm a little confused (and way out of my depth).

I ran this:

code:
./index.html
but without the ./index.html. It gives me a list of all the files (excluding hidden stuff) which is a total of 14. Easy enough to count, but I want to run this on a folder that has over 1000 files, so manually counting is out. How do I get a number from this? After running find . -type f -not -name ".*" if I run ./index.html it says "-bash: ./index.html: No such file or directory". I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

angor posted:

Woah, ok I'm a little confused (and way out of my depth).

I ran this:

code:
./index.html

but without the ./index.html. It gives me a list of all the files (excluding hidden stuff) which is a total of 14. Easy enough to count, but I want to run this on a folder that has over 1000 files, so manually counting is out. How do I get a number from this? After running find . -type f -not -name ".*" if I run ./index.html it says "-bash: ./index.html: No such file or directory". I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

You need the |wc -l on the end to return a count

Edit: I didn't know about the -not operator in find, so thanks for that Pivo. I would've done it with regex "[^\.]*" instead but I think your way is cleaner.

Lawen fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 12, 2014

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Legend! This is working perfectly. Thank you both!!!

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

angor posted:

Hahah. I know you got your answer, but the reason you were seeing ./index.html is because I had that in my 'sandbox' folder. It was the output from the 'find' command that I ran.

You see the 'find' command takes some arguments that configures what the hell you want it to find, and then its output is what it finds, one line per file. When you "pipe" (with the pipe character |) it into another program, 'wc' short for 'word count' - you can count the lines of output. Normally wc counts words, but by giving it -l you count lines.

Therefore

code:
find . -type f
searches recursively for files starting from the current working directory and prints each file it finds on a separate line...

code:
find . -type f | wc -l
searches recursively for files yada yada and then sends that output to wc, which counts the lines and prints how many it counted ... effectively counting the number of files!

Stringing tiny little programs together like this is sort of the ethos of *nix, and since you're on OS X, you'd better get used to using it - cause Finder sucks!! If you Google any problem you're having but type "linux" instead of "os x", like "linux count files in a directory", 99% of what you see will be applicable.

If you type 'man (command)' into the Terminal, you will get documentation for that command... like to learn about how find works, you'd type 'man find'... Man is for manual, if you're curious.

Good luck and have fun.

korora
Sep 3, 2011
Does anyone know of good intermediate video-editing software? Something between iMovie and Final Cut in both cost and capabilities. Basically I'm looking for the Pixelmator of video editors.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

It's not really a Pixelmator esque product, but would Premiere Elements be something you're after?

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
When you say pixelmator, I'm guessing you're looking for cheap. Davinci resolve, the newest version has editing tools I think. Also it's free for 1080p projects.

It's a bit higher end in capabilities, just skip the colour grading stuff if it doesn't interest you. I've never edited in it so hopefully it's not a "I wish I'd bought premiere" moment.

korora
Sep 3, 2011

carry on then posted:

It's not really a Pixelmator esque product, but would Premiere Elements be something you're after?

the_lion posted:

When you say pixelmator, I'm guessing you're looking for cheap. Davinci resolve, the newest version has editing tools I think. Also it's free for 1080p projects.

It's a bit higher end in capabilities, just skip the colour grading stuff if it doesn't interest you. I've never edited in it so hopefully it's not a "I wish I'd bought premiere" moment.
Really what I'm looking for is something that is lightweight without being dumbed-down, if such a thing exists. My wife is a performer and currently uses iMovie to edit video of her work, but it hasn't really suited her needs since the iMovie '08 rewrite.

Premiere Elements seems like it maybe has the same problems iMovie does in terms of overly holding your hand and being full of unnecessary "Hollywood" transitions and effects, but I see there's a free trial so it's probably worth checking out.

Davinci Resolve looks a bit heavy and I don't think it will run on her mid-2012 MBA (whereas it does meet the system requirements for Final Cut Pro) but I'll give that a shot too.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
I suppose this is an OSX question, but could very well belong in the hardware thread as well:

Basically, OSX keeps rudely ejecting then remounting an external USB drive I have. I made sure that 'Put hard disks to sleep when possible' is unchecked in the Energy Saver window. Apart from that, I'm lost. Never happened on my previous computer. Power Nap is enabled, perhaps it's the culprit?

I see this virtually every morning and always when I get home from work.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Are they plugged into a USB hub? Maybe it's just being flaky and it's dropping the connection. I used to have a crappy hub that would disconnect every time it took a static shock.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

I have an external enclosure that behaves like that unless it's directly connected to the computer. Doesn't help that it's a cheap, off brand one as well.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

IUG posted:

Are they plugged into a USB hub? Maybe it's just being flaky and it's dropping the connection. I used to have a crappy hub that would disconnect every time it took a static shock.

It's one physical drive partitioned into the different disks. And yeah, it's directly connected into the computer. I am going to disable Power Nap tonight and see if it happens in the morning/after work. Any advice is appreciated.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Could be a dying controller in the enclosure, or a dying drive.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

FordPRefectLL posted:

Is there a way I can make the play button on the keyboard open Spotify instead of iTunes?
Maybe this: https://pqrs.org/macosx/keyremap4macbook/

I just use it for the old numpad on keyboard trick so i don't know the full extent of what it can do.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

10.9.3 is out, combo update here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1746

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I hope they tweaked Migration Assistant so it recognizes startup disks hooked up via USB 3.0. Right now I have to use slower Firewire docks or a Thunderbolt adapter to do migrations.