Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
If I never hear a Stabbing Westward song again it will be too soon. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alpacalips Now
Oct 4, 2013
For some reason, I loved Third Eye Blind's first album in my junior year of high school. This was like 6 years after their two hits. I have no idea why.

Coulrophobia
Oct 11, 2012

Stalins Moustache posted:

The songwriter looks and writes as a hopelessly in love MRA goon. I mean, look at this:

You include those but not the three entire songs off of Dark Passion Play whining about how Tarja married some EVIL JERK instead of him, which is also why he fired her in an open letter that read like it was written by someone from Mean Girls? :v:

I'd be okay with my teengoth Nightwish phase if it was all harmless goofball metal instead of the deranged ramblings of an over-pretentious creepwad.

XMD 5a
Aug 28, 2011

money is flesh
In a weird kind of way, Mac and Me.

I completely forgot that move existed up until a few years ago, and when I was reminded of its existence I realised that I had mixed it and E.T. up into one film in my head for years. At least 50% of my recollections of E.T. from childhood were actually of scenes from Mac and Me. Before the realisation whenever I heard "E.T." I was instantly reminded of how traumatised the (Mac and Me) scene where the kid in the wheelchair falls down a hill made me as a young child. I'd only seen each film once, so it's pretty hilarious in retrospect that the lovely one had a more lasting impact on me than the massively iconic one.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Their first couple of albums were pretty much standard rock music fare of the time - boy loves girl type stuff. Same goes for the movies.

Sell outs?

They were always about the money, especially in the beginning. Epstein told them the only way to get on TV was to clean up their image. Oh, look, it worked.

Then again, John said a lot of stupid poo poo before he grew up and started to believe in something other than greed and beating his wife.

And on the subject of this thread: Caring whether or not a band or artist "sold out" at any point in time.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Devil Wears Wings posted:

And on the subject of this thread: Caring whether or not a band or artist "sold out" at any point in time.

Especially when nobody can agree on what "selling out" means. At least, that's been my experience.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Mister Kingdom posted:

Especially when nobody can agree on what "selling out" means. At least, that's been my experience.

"Selling out" really means, invariably, "releasing a popular song/EP/album THAT I DON'T LIKE".

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Jeherrin posted:

"Selling out" really means, invariably, "releasing a popular song/EP/album THAT I DON'T LIKE".

And/or "releasing a song that gets picked up by mainstream radio, even though I secrectly still like it".

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I was pretty heavily into house, drum and bass and trance music in my senior year. I remember listening to hour and a half long sets that my buddy would send through IRC. Like, just sitting there working on a paper, listening to ninety minutes of music you're better off sweating your MDMA off to.

I was also a pretty big Limp Bizkit fan in my first couple years of high school. Significant Other was my favorite album when it came out :negative:

Alpacalips Now
Oct 4, 2013
Music elitism. My God, why did I waste my freshman year of university explaining subgenres of punk rock to everyone in my dorm?

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo

Alpacalips Now posted:

Music elitism. My God, why did I waste my freshman year of university explaining subgenres of punk rock to everyone in my dorm?

Because in high school/college you're looking for any reason to pacify your angst by way of superiority narratives.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

NotAnArtist posted:

I was pretty heavily into house, drum and bass and trance music in my senior year. I remember listening to hour and a half long sets that my buddy would send through IRC. Like, just sitting there working on a paper, listening to ninety minutes of music you're better off sweating your MDMA off to.

I dunno, I still do this. Coding marathon required? Load up a Richie Hawtin mix and batter that poo poo into submission. Usually at 2am, lit only by my screen and backlit keyboard.

I find that kind of music incredibly good to work to.

But what I used to work to, oh God... if we're talking about terrible music tastes, well... it pains me to think of all the terrible melodic doom/death I used to listen to. Swallow The Sun and My Dying Bride were probably the worst offenders for 'awful cheesy lyrics about women and blood'. I also used to listen to Christian metalcore (step up, As I Lay Dying and Norma Jean) a lot. And angsty highschool/burgeoning alcoholic years? That would be Evanescence and StoneSour, because they described my pain and alienation, man.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
/\ As I Lay Dying and Norma Jean are loving awesome.

Now that "EDM" has become popular, every douchecannon is writing spiteful blog posts about how becoming mainstream has ruined the techno culture and now that the selfie song and Animals is out, techno is dead forever.

Let us not forget that these songs happened a few years prior to the electronic boom in the United States.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4bSw4q16Tk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7EQaNlsEFs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4G6QDNC4jPs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJrVZCbKxsE

Every remix of that stupid popcorn song and multiple versions of the Tetris theme. Your choices were Armin van Burren, Benassi Bros, Daft Punk and garbage gamer trance uploaded to Kazaa.

cname has a new favorite as of 15:13 on May 9, 2014

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Ugh, why did you have to remind me of the tetris/popcorn fad? I went back to youtube and dug up Aphex Twin's versions thinking ''they weren't that bad''

But they are. They are that bad.

Mr. Kurtz
Feb 22, 2007

Here comes the hurdy gurdy man.
I wore my "Van's Warped Tour 2002" t-shirt almost every day for a year. gently caress punk rock.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Capoeira Capybara posted:

If I never hear a Stabbing Westward song again it will be too soon. :suicide:

I still like them :v:

Well, up to darkest days, anyway.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Jeherrin posted:

Evanescence

Goddamn Evanescence. I heard "My Immortal" so many times that I actually started liking them. What the gently caress was I THINKING?!

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Alter Ego posted:

Goddamn Evanescence. I heard "My Immortal" so many times that I actually started liking them. What the gently caress was I THINKING?!

That has reminded me that I also liked Lacuna Coil. I even saw them live, all gothed up. Jesus. :suicide:

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Regarding "selling out", Patrick Carney of the Black Keys had a pretty good take on it, something along the lines of "If you're gonna be hearing a song in a commercial anyway, wouldn't you rather have it be something you actually like?"

Edit: Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHnXyNNpd1s

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Jeherrin posted:

That has reminded me that I also liked Lacuna Coil. I even saw them live, all gothed up. Jesus. :suicide:

Guilty(minus the being all gothed up part.) Still guilty. Not ashamed.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I also used to enjoy things that were popular a [decade] ago, back when [ten] years have not yet passed and I was consequently that much younger. Good thing that the thing that the media I am enjoying now will in no way be outdated by [2024].

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tokelau All Star posted:

Regarding "selling out", Patrick Carney of the Black Keys had a pretty good take on it, something along the lines of "If you're gonna be hearing a song in a commercial anyway, wouldn't you rather have it be something you actually like?"

gently caress no. Commercials have ruined certain pieces of music for me, because every time I hear them, I involuntarily start thinking of the commercial they were used in.

gently caress everyone who works in marketing. They ruin everything.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Tokelau All Star posted:

Edit: Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHnXyNNpd1s

The one guy said it was only musicians who face this dilemma, but some more respected actors get poo poo for being in bad movies. I like Michael Caine's take, “First of all, I choose the great roles, and if none of these come, I choose the mediocre ones, and if they don’t come, I choose the ones that pay the rent."

For example, on Jaws the Revenge, he said, “I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific.”

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
I used to be a hardcore MRA miltiant-atheist libertarian in high school.

I am a junior in college and am currently a feminist ally, agnostic theist with heavy Buddhist leanings, and hardcore Marxist. Funny how it works out. :unsmith:

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
Just imagine what you will call yourself in another five years.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
Krishnacore.

Shelter, 108, Baby Gopal, Prema... a bunch of hardcore icons went all Hare Krishna in the 90s and it was glorious. I was in high school still, and I used to make pilgramiges to Harvard Square to chant with the Krishnas there. I wore joppa beads and would've shaved my head into a topknot but was a girl and girls shouldn't do that or something. I read up on Krishna Consciousness and everything. Oh man.

I will say, it me interested in Sanskrit Hindu philosophy and yoga and reading the Bhagavad Gita led me to the Mahabarata and many fascinating things like that so it's not all bad! I still love the music unironically, because it reminds me of some of my most formative years, but I don't listen to it or follow it, I just reminisce fondly. I dare you to listen to Kirtan by Shelter and not want to jump up and down and chant the maha mantra.

Krishnacore, man.

Lt Greatsocks
Nov 4, 2009
I used to be SOOOO loving into Coheed and Cambria. I still love their music but I seriously used to jam that poo poo non-stop. Although it wasn't all bad, one time I hot chick did walk up and talk to me cause of my Coheed shirt. Not that it went anywhere because that would have required effort on my part. And now that girl is a stripper with a baby. I guess it was all bad then?

I'm sure i'm not the first to mention Runescape. Pretty much anything free and on the internet. This is literally painful to even type out but I used to watch lots of videos of stick figures fighting. I think I've been blocking it out because I had to sit and think for like 5 minutes before I remembered how much time I wasted watching that poo poo.

Real Talk Edit: Alright, I went back like five pages and no Runescape. Just in case you don't know it's a free to play (before free to play sold out) in-browser rpg where you would go mine metal or whatever but someone who had higher mining skill would walk up and mine it before you. And the graphics were literally worse then Minecraft.

I also stopped trying to push my awful music on people. No, nobody wants to listen to loving Los Campesinos other then me, or Sunn0))). Especially not Sunn0))). Although drone metal is great for getting baked and playing in the background while you read.

Mind Blast Ultra Edition Edit: Holy poo poo, holy poo poo, I found it. The absolute loving holy grail of bad things I used to like. Foamy the squirrel. Foamy. The. Mother. Effing. Squirrel. I won't spoil the fun for you guys suffice to say it was a clearly way-too inspired by Jhonen Vasquez flash cartoon series about a squirrel who would bitch about everything while employing a specific, violent, kinda rapey brand of "Awesome Random Humor." I think the term you guys use is purple monkey boat dick or something. I highly recommend you check it out if you've never seen it.

Lt Greatsocks has a new favorite as of 00:18 on May 10, 2014

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Alter Ego posted:

My dad really loving loved Evanescence and would play their albums all the time when we were driving. It still boggles my mind, everything else he listened to was the usual things you'd expect a 40-something year old man to listen to, and I wasn't old enough to be an angsty teen who had enough money to buy his own music.

Lt Greatsocks posted:

Mind Blast Ultra Edition Edit: Holy poo poo, holy poo poo, I found it. The absolute loving holy grail of bad things I used to like. Foamy the squirrel. Foamy. The. Mother. Effing. Squirrel. I won't spoil the fun for you guys suffice to say it was a clearly way-too inspired by Jhonen Vasquez flash cartoon series about a squirrel who would bitch about everything while employing a specific, violent, kinda rapey brand of "Awesome Random Humor." I think the term you guys use is purple monkey boat dick or something. I highly recommend you check it out if you've never seen it.

Apparently he still makes the loving things :psyduck:. It's like looking into a time warp.

And I never saw this mentioned, but I used to be really into RPG Maker games. I even convinced myself that most were good and I could make something of that quality if I tried. Luckily the memory card with the only copy of my RPG broke before I unleashed it on the internet so I will never have people "discovering" my middle school shame.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

Lt Greatsocks posted:

No, nobody wants to listen to loving Los Campesinos other then me

Los Campesinos aren't terrible at all son! I've loved them for years and am glad they're consistent with the quality of their albums.

... I lost my old runescape account to a scam site which I mistakenly thought would get me an autominer. I was so dumb.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

Lt Greatsocks posted:

Foamy the squirrel.

I remember somebody showing me that years go. Is that the one where for some reason, in an early one, he's complaining about too many people liking Every Rose Has Its Thorn? I remember thinking, is that even a problem?

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Guys, if we hadn't liked all this gay bullshit when we were kids, then we may not have turned into the well balanced, mature adults we are today.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuLO66xoutg

Linked: the song "Au Revoir", by Japanese goth band Malice Mizer

This poo poo. This was my jam of '97-'98 right here. The lead singer used to perform under the conceit that he was an immortal vampire rocker (like Lestat from the Anne Rice books and....oh god, I just remember I liked Anne Rice books too). I was internetting early (proto-goon) and downloading audio clips from geocities fan websites, listening via my realmeadia player and winamp (remember winamp skins?). I seriously thought I was so much cooler than my peers who liked their lovely Spice Girls and Hansen. UGH they just don't get REAL ART.

I had never seen the accompanying music video until just now, kinda sad I didn't know this existed because it's so awful it almost comes off as satire. It's from Japan in the 90s, which means it feels like it's from America in the 80s. Serious goth faces looking to camera while lurching around an empty room. Flowers wilting. Mournfully peering out windows. Crappy handicam footage of a walk in the park during fall.

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 15:30 on May 10, 2014

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

cname posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJrVZCbKxsE

Every remix of that stupid popcorn song and multiple versions of the Tetris theme. Your choices were Armin van Burren, Benassi Bros, Daft Punk and garbage gamer trance uploaded to Kazaa.

A few months ago GBS had a thread of nothing but Sandstorm remixes. :allears:

Don Gato posted:

And I never saw this mentioned, but I used to be really into RPG Maker games. I even convinced myself that most were good and I could make something of that quality if I tried. Luckily the memory card with the only copy of my RPG broke before I unleashed it on the internet so I will never have people "discovering" my middle school shame.
Don't worry, you don't need good games or quality, or even new art assets half of the time!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/280140/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/278490/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/278530/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/277470/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/272010/

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Jeherrin posted:

I dunno, I still do this. Coding marathon required? Load up a Richie Hawtin mix and batter that poo poo into submission. Usually at 2am, lit only by my screen and backlit keyboard.

I find that kind of music incredibly good to work to.

But what I used to work to, oh God... if we're talking about terrible music tastes, well... it pains me to think of all the terrible melodic doom/death I used to listen to. Swallow The Sun and My Dying Bride were probably the worst offenders for 'awful cheesy lyrics about women and blood'. I also used to listen to Christian metalcore (step up, As I Lay Dying and Norma Jean) a lot. And angsty highschool/burgeoning alcoholic years? That would be Evanescence and StoneSour, because they described my pain and alienation, man.
My Dying Bride are a genuinely great band even if they have cheesy lyrics. AILD, Norma Jean and Evanescence, though? Yeesh.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Linked: the song "Au Revoir", by Japanese goth band Malice Mizer

Oh weird. I always assumed from those guys' costumes that they played goth metal or something but it's actually the most milquetoast fusion rock on earth

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
My first concert ever was Mindless Self Indulgence in this tiny, mostly goth teen "club" with standing room for like 200 people. :smith:

I was first in line for tickets. :smithicide:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Stalins Moustache posted:

Nightwish. Oh, how I used to love that band back when I was 12 and 13. I thought the music was so incredibly deep and much better than what the "normals" listened to because of the use of symphony instruments and the dark lyrics.

I tried listening to their albums again some days back, and at some songs I just couldn't stop laughing. Sure, I'll admit that some of the songs are okay(Amaranth is still a pretty cute song), but most of them are just hilariously bad. The songwriter looks and writes as a hopelessly in love MRA goon. I mean, look at this:

"Running for her life
The dark rain from her eyes still falls
Breathtaking butterfly
Chose a dark day to live

Save one breath for me!

A loner longing for
The cadence of her last breath."

At the last album they released, I realized how bad they actually are. They often include album epics with songs lasting over 10 minutes, and the last album epic they did had about 5 minutes of horrible poetry with comedy gold quotes such as this:
"An old man gets naked and kisses a model-doll in his attic
It's half-light and he's in tears.
When he finally comes his eyes are cascading."

"An obese girl enters an elevator with me.
All dressed up fancy, a green butterfly on her neck.
Terribly sweeet perfume deafens me.
She's going to dinner alone.
That makes her even more beautiful."

I used to know a guy that would always aggressively try to get me into Nightwish back in the day. Seriously they might be the worst band I've ever heard in my life,

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
Not sure if it's been posted yet but System of a Down. Good god, I could slap 14 year old me for listening that poo poo.

Faude Carfilhiot
Sep 6, 2010
Nthing the Dragonlance books, there was a time when I thought Raistlin Majere was one of the greatest characters in literature. As for web-comics, I used to be really into Sluggy Freelance for awhile. I dropped it once it became clear to me that Abrams was more interested in adding new and increasingly convoluted story-lines rather than wrap up his old ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

KozmoNaut posted:

gently caress no. Commercials have ruined certain pieces of music for me, because every time I hear them, I involuntarily start thinking of the commercial they were used in.

gently caress everyone who works in marketing. They ruin everything.

Absolutely, I can't hear that one Led Zeppelin without thinking of the Cadillac commercial.

Also I specifically hate the black keys music because of the commercialization. They had a pretty unique, cool sound and now I associate that sound with commercials. Ugh.

Don't get me wrong I'd "sell out" if given the chance. They gotta make a living.

• Locked thread