Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah, counter-activism has been so much more effective and productive on issues like this, like when

I guess it's fun to point out that others will achieve nothing with their protests while not achieving anything yourself as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

She sure got us.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

....says the woman on Twitter. Take that, Westerners!

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.

achillesforever6 posted:

God I hate that face, such a terrible player I don't know why SAS liked him at one point :negative:
How can you not like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ0UOxrcS2Q

(Really, I think most people in SAS were cheering for him because Tebow leading the Broncos to a string of improbable victories was hilarious.)

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Knowing him personally, Tim Tebow is actually an alright person, the media just put him out there way too much (understatement) and made him out to be a player he's not.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

D.N. Nation posted:

....says the woman on Twitter. Take that, Westerners!

loving lamesterns using hashtags on twitter, can you believe how dumb and self-absorbed they are! I'm outraged.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I mean, how self-involved are these white Westerners with their ridiculous hashtag campaigns? So absurd. How naive do you have to be to put time and effort into those?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

She sure got us.

She's right though.

All of a sudden Africa is a problem because some women there are now being affected in a way that bougie white women in America can identify with. Thousands of African women have been raped and murdered and hundreds of thousands have been displaced (so yeah no Western-style education for them either) in the CAR since 2012 but I bet you most of the #bringourgirlsback people even know there is such a thing as the Central African Republic.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Monkey Fracas posted:

Funnily enough Bok drew his mouthpieces as a bunch of fat slobs sitting around in a crappy bar.

Got a case of the Universal Ugly a-la Branco, I guess.

I actually read that as the point of the cartoon. Like, yeah, that's the reason your kid won't play in the NFL, and not that he's likely a fat loser like you. But I'm probably giving Bok too much credit.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

zoux posted:

She's right though.

All of a sudden Africa is a problem because some women there are now being affected in a way that bougie white women in America can identify with.

And Malala Yousafzai, but what does she know.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

JT Jag posted:

Knowing him personally, Tim Tebow is actually an alright person, the media just put him out there way too much (understatement) and made him out to be a player he's not.

That, and the Christian right almost immediately raised him up as the next Great White Hope.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

D.N. Nation posted:

And Malala Yousafzai, but what does she know.

You think that means poo poo? You think Malala holding up a sign on twitter means poo poo?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

zoux posted:

She's right though.

All of a sudden Africa is a problem because some women there are now being affected in a way that bougie white women in America can identify with. Thousands of African women have been raped and murdered and hundreds of thousands have been displaced (so yeah no Western-style education for them either) in the CAR since 2012 but I bet you most of the #bringourgirlsback people even know there is such a thing as the Central African Republic.

I love how you post this in response to a campaign started by a black woman.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

zoux posted:

You think that means poo poo? You think Malala holding up a sign on twitter means poo poo?

If poo poo is a unit of measurement, Malala's actions are worth more shits than "LULZ, WHITES, AMIRIGHT" in response to a campaign started by, uh, not a white person.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

I love how you post this in response to a campaign started by a black woman.

Do you actually love that? I don't think you actually love that.

D.N. Nation posted:

If poo poo is a unit of measurement, Malala's actions are worth more shits than "LULZ, WHITES, AMIRIGHT" in response to a campaign started by, uh, not a white person.

My question is why is this issue, of all issues facing women in Africa, the one that has traction?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

zoux posted:

Since it sparked the whole thing?

Yes.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Bok is kind of stunning, actually. It's a guy saying, "Wow, now that there is a gay in the NFL, I now associate playing in the NFL, or football at all, with gayness, and therefore I would not approve of my son doing the thing that two months ago would've filled me with great midwestern fat-dad pride, because it's just too drat gay now, thanks gays." There's no way that Bok can see that as a reasonable line of thought, is there?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

zoux posted:

Do you actually love that? I don't think you actually love that.

I read this thread because I love hilariously stupid things so you figure it out.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

zoux posted:

My question is why is this issue, of all issues facing women in Africa, the one that has traction?

Because stuff? Thingy? poo poo happens? Why does it matter?

The West is ignorant about Africa. Thanks for that update. If this Big Dumb Hashtag can be used for any sort of good, for any sort of education, then it's a good thing. A piecemeal, small, good thing. Meanwhile, snarking about suburban American housewives on the tweets does what, exactly?

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

zoux posted:

She's right though.

Yeah, and this temporary attention may be effective at helping to bring to an end to one of the current outstanding problems. We don't need to make it into what it's not, but hashstorms can be effective and should be used because holy cow is it hard to get anything moving on anything.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Vogon Poet posted:

How can you not like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ0UOxrcS2Q

(Really, I think most people in SAS were cheering for him because Tebow leading the Broncos to a string of improbable victories was hilarious.)
That's one of the main reasons I hate Tebow being a Steelers fan. I mean I would not hate him if he was good, but nope he sucks and was still able to humiliate my team who everyone hates because of our fans being everywhere due to economic collapse diaspora. :smith:

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

JT Jag posted:

Specifically, a quarterback.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

zoux posted:

She's right though.

So what is middle-class America supposed to do, though? Obviously in a perfect world, they'd be way more tuned in to what's going on outside their HOA, but if the pushback from picking up on one story thread that's made it through the gates of media is that they're bad and wrong for not being aware of more of what goes on, that would seem to me to be counterproductive. People need to be invested in one social issue before they can be invested in many social issues.

e: basically, you're going to have middle-class Americans involved in one or more social issues or in none at all, and I'd prefer the former.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 13, 2014

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Mellow Seas posted:

it's just too drat gay now, thanks gays.

"Thanks, gays" should be the "thanks obama" of 2014.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

achillesforever6 posted:

God I hate that face, such a terrible player I don't know why SAS liked him at one point :negative:

Haha, oh my god they did? I thought only freep and Conservapedia liked the guy.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Cabbit posted:

Well, an NFL-caliber quarterback.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

This may come as a shock to you but the point wasn't to literally get to Boko Haram and make them go 'oh ok then', but it was to keep the issue in the public mind, because western nations on the whole have a little problem of very swiftly losing interest in African on African human rights violations unless poo poo goes full on civil war (and usually even then there has to be a genocide thrown in for extra flavor).

It's not a shock- I appreciate that the goal wasn't direct twitter intervention- it's that the goal of consciousness-raising isn't particularly meaningful or effective when conducted by way of hashtag. While it's true that countries ("western" and otherwise) have a tragically shot memory for these sort of events, internet activism doesn't tend to produce results that effect the situation they raise, and of course they have a knack for producing ill-informed swells of public opinion, producing similarly ill-conceived political responses. It's not clear that #saveourgirls has produced any difference in actions on the part of the US government- and more to the point, if it had, there would be no guarantee that the change produced would be a good one.

#letsgetsaddam #bootsinukraine #directtechnodemocracyisfrequentlycounterproductive

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
if you're actually being smug and superior about any effort being taken at all by anyone to help rescue hundreds of kidnapped girls just because some of the people invovlding themselves in the campaign are generally ignorant about other world affairs then kindly kill yourself.

Do you think every individual involved ii every revolution ever social cause ever to occur was 100% knowledgeable and invested in the cause cuz I have bad news for you.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Cabbit posted:

I still laugh that he was a backup to the guy who fumbled by running into his own teamate's butt.

Wanamingo posted:

Haha, oh my god they did? I thought only freep and Conservapedia liked the guy.
Not really, many of them just really really hate the Steelers, for several good reasons too.

Allen Wren posted:

So what is middle-class America supposed to do, though? Obviously in a perfect world, they'd be way more tuned in to what's going on outside their HOA, but if the pushback from picking up on one story thread that's made it through the gates of media is that they're bad and wrong for not being aware of more of what goes on, that would seem to me to be counterproductive. People need to be invested in one social issue before they can be invested in many social issues.
Especially with the goldfish memories that the West seems to have.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
At least things seem to be better than when our only source of information was whatever CNN or whoever decided to air.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cabbit posted:

drat...

Allen Wren posted:

Short of destroying neo-colonialism which thrives on the exploitation of the labor and resources of the developing world that causes the lion's share of problems there, there's not much they can do. The issue I have here is that the Boko Haram kidnappings are ostensibly a solvable problem. It's a local, small time African problem that Western democracies can easily leverage their diplomatic influence to reach an outcome. It's not going to take any real sacrifice from anyone outside of Nigeria, and so when this problem is fixed, the women are found and freed, then the Western world will pat itself on the back and say "good job us" while all of the deeply systemic problems affecting Africa will remain and be cheerfully ignored by the rest of the world, because actually fixing Africa's problems would require massive sacrifice on the part of the rest of the world.

ladyboy pancake posted:

if you're actually being smug and superior about any effort being taken at all by anyone to help rescue hundreds of kidnapped girls just because some of the people invovlding themselves in the campaign are generally ignorant about other world affairs then kindly kill yourself.

Do you think every individual involved ii every revolution ever social cause ever to occur was 100% knowledgeable and invested in the cause cuz I have bad news for you.

What "effort" exactly?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I too am angry at people trying to spread knowledge of a tragedy to as many people as possible.

One of these days Lester's going to just snap and draw a cartoon advocating for the death penalty for homosexuals.

The Wizard of Oz
Feb 7, 2004

Mellow Seas posted:

The Bok is kind of stunning, actually. It's a guy saying, "Wow, now that there is a gay in the NFL, I now associate playing in the NFL, or football at all, with gayness, and therefore I would not approve of my son doing the thing that two months ago would've filled me with great midwestern fat-dad pride, because it's just too drat gay now, thanks gays." There's no way that Bok can see that as a reasonable line of thought, is there?

Chip Bok can be really hard to read sometimes and plays games with how he feels.

quote:

Woke up Mothers Day morning to the sight of Michael Sam kissing his boyfriend’s cake covered face on SportsCenter… over and over and over. Sam, the first openly gay player in the league, was picked by St. Louis in the final round of the NFL draft. Football experts from Barack Obama to Peter King say this is a good thing. So it is.

No Kiss

It won’t be easy, though. I was reminded by a friend that Jonathan Martin got no kiss when his Dolphin teammates bullied him out of Miami to San Francisco last year. And Martin wasn’t even gay, just nice.

"So it is" could be a snarky "these jerks decreed it is so that's the rule of the land", or it could be "yeah I agree no poo poo". And referencing Jonathan Martin seems completely sympathetic to him, noting that there's huge bullying issues in all sports. So Bok's comic may be "hey NFL fans aren't exactly a forward-looking bunch, this could get ugly".

And cake-faced kisses are gross, that's not my kink at all.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Mellow Seas posted:

If you tolerate the Gay, you become the Gay.

SwimmingSpider
Jan 3, 2008

Jön, jön, jön a vizipók.
Várják már a tólakók.
Ez a kis pók ügyes búvár.
Sok új kaland is még rá vár.
Progressives turning on one another because they don't see each other's motivations as pure enough is the #1 reason progressives lose so goddamn much.

Some people become activists to get laid. Get over it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Cabbit posted:

:drat:

OldTennisCourt posted:

One of these days Lester's going to just snap and draw a cartoon advocating for the death penalty for homosexuals.

I dunno, the dog whistle is there.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Anyway I don't think that "#solidarityhashtag" line of criticism is directed at the campaign specifically, but more at the sort of person who wouldn't ever give two shits about some problem in Africa but by just copy/pasting half a line of text they can feel like they've done their good deed for the day. So no, not Malala, or the people who are just trying to raise awareness for their problem. They're not under fire by this. It's all the white westerners who think they've substantially helped the situation by retweeting Malala but will forget about it as soon as it's no longer filling up their twitter feed. It's not even saying "don't use the hashtags", it's saying "don't get full of yourself for having used a hashtag, and please consider doing something else, too?"

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

:3:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ditocoaf posted:

Anyway I don't think that "#solidarityhashtag" of criticism is directed at the campaign specifically, but more at the sort of person who wouldn't ever give two shits about some problem in Africa but by just copy/pasting half a line of text they can feel like they've done their good deed for the day. So no, not Malala, or the people who are just trying to raise awareness for their problem. They're not under fire by this. It's all the white westerners who think they've substantially helped the situation by retweeting Malala but will forget about it as soon as it's no longer filling up their twitter feed.

#Kony2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Allen Wren posted:

e: basically, you're going to have middle-class Americans involved in one or more social issues or in none at all, and I'd prefer the former.

Obviously what we're supposed to do is follow the example of Caro by going to another nation and shooting bad guys.

• Locked thread