Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

chumbler posted:

I just realized what the grudge with Fate has to be: it's obviously coffee vs. tea, round 2.

Clearly she deleted his Dark Souls save file in the bottle realm mansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

404GoonNotFound posted:

Clearly she deleted his Dark Souls save file in the bottle realm mansion.

Pfft. Everyone knows Eva only plays Famicom

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

After the ending of Negima, Negi hooks up with Eva, and Fate never forgives her.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I really really like Kirie's power. Actually, I think it'd be a great subject/cool premise for a movie or something -- a bit like The Butterfly Effect.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DrSunshine posted:

I really really like Kirie's power. Actually, I think it'd be a great subject/cool premise for a movie or something -- a bit like The Butterfly Effect.

Edge of tomorrow

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

PerrineClostermann posted:

Edge of tomorrow

Ah yes. That's what people were referencing in previous pages then--the new Tom Cruise movie. I need to see that, then, I guess!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

Ah yes. That's what people were referencing in previous pages then--the new Tom Cruise movie. I need to see that, then, I guess!

The novel it's based on, All You Need is Kill, also has a shonen manga adaptation, by the way.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Silver2195 posted:

The novel it's based on, All You Need is Kill, also has a shonen manga adaptation, by the way.

Drawn by the artist of Death Note!

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Well, that was a chapter ending.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Boy you weren't kidding.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Hey what do you expect. He is a robot.

JimmyT64
Oct 27, 2007
I'm Special!
Is this guy gonna be the one to show off ALL of the new immortality types? Like, when we get a guy that respawns, this guy is gonna show up again, despite having just been blown up, just so we can have a psycho killer that can kill a dude and then "die"?

Coz I am alright with this.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

That last page :allears:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

ROBOT SUPERIORITY :psylon:

Seriously, Chachamaru had better goddamn show up at some point, there's no reason for her or several of the others from 3-A (like the literal demons) not to be around.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You know, that's a good question.Where the hell IS Chachamaru?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Probably running poo poo out in space, given that she was basically Negi's secretary at the end. But yeah, she and the various other demons or potential immortals from Negima have no particular reason they couldn't show up. Also Kaede because it seemed that there was more to her than just "I taught myself how to be the universe's best ninja on weekends" that never got brought up again. Though that would also be a satisfactory explanation, really.

I think Akamatsu is trying to avoid having this series become dominated by the old cast again, given the sparing use of Eva, and I can't really blame him for that.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Chachamaru and the others are probably actually carrying on Negi's plans and being grown-ups instead of forming secret clubs and having feuds, since they're not as immature as Eva and Fate. :allears: I figure the rest of the Negima crew still alive are up in space eyerolling at these shenanigans.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

chumbler posted:

Also Kaede because it seemed that there was more to her than just "I taught myself how to be the universe's best ninja on weekends" that never got brought up again. Though that would also be a satisfactory explanation, really.
Kaede claimed that she was part of a ninja clan, and only a chuunin at that. (page itself isn't nsfw, but it's still early negima so don't go looking at nearby pages)

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wow, I dunno why but Mana looks younger there than I remember.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

Kaede claimed that she was part of a ninja clan, and only a chuunin at that. (page itself isn't nsfw, but it's still early negima so don't go looking at nearby pages)

"You've got good taste... to recognize Negi-Bouzu as your rival-de gozaru". :downs::japan:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't think there was any deep dark secret involved. Kaede was from a ninja clan and ended up in that class because that is where all of the weirdos naturally congregated. She had loads of talent and potential, but there wasn't much opportunity for her to go out and actually be a ninja until she got caught up in Negi's stuff.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The new chapter is out, and it teaches us a valuable lesson: Transportation hubs continue to be not the best place to be in Negima world, at least when Fate is involved. :suspense:

Edit: Also Kirie continues to drift closer to being Chisame 2.0. This is a good thing.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 18, 2014

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

chumbler posted:

The new chapter is out, and it teaches us a valuable lesson: Transportation hubs continue to be not the best place to be in Negima world, at least when Fate is involved. :suspense:

I hope when Fate says that Touta should have been his, he means that Negi should have had children with him and not someone else. Wait a second, this is shipping, isn't it? :ohdear: Anyways, yes. Akamatsu, please give us a jealous Fate.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Did someone piss Ken off this week or something? :gonk:

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
:stare::stare::stare:

This series gets away with some amazingly disturbing combat. Kirie's death seems to be one of the more horrifying ones I've seen.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Interesting point: we find out the weak spot in Kirie's save point immortality, namely that if she's technically not dead, she doesn't reset.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Mikl posted:

Interesting point: we find out the weak spot in Kirie's save point immortality, namely that if she's technically not dead, she doesn't reset.

That must have been really frustrating to find out.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I keep seeing people reference Negima in this thread and I have only heard of it a few times in other manga discussion boards. Is it something I should read to get a better perspective on this story?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Yes. Eva and Fate are both returning characters. Negi Springfield, Touta's grandfather who has been talked about and seen a few times is the main character of Negima.

It's not a necessity I guess, but it'd get you a firmer grasp on what the heck is going on, why are these people supposed to be scary, and who the gently caress is this white haired super OP character out of nowhere.

The first few volumes suck though.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Negima is the story of how Ken Akamatsu and his editors didn't agree on what his next manga should be.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.
The first couple volumes are pretty bad, but have some fun bits. If you're going to read Negima (which you should) and way to much fan service won't make you sick, they're worth reading.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The latest chapter is also a big reference to probably the most shocking chapter from Negima, and it does it with gusto.

But seriously, Negima is great once you're past the first 3 or 4 volumes. In addition to being the story of how Ken Akamatsu and his editors didn't agree on what his next manga should be, it is also the story of how the guy who wrote Love Hina of all things wanted to become one of the best battle manga writers. If you like seeing development and refinement of an art style over time it's also really great for that.

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Negima also has what I think is a really cool transformation as it goes on. The complete tonal/genre shift is something that I think is really neat to read, and you don't really see it many places outside of VNs. I would argue that, despite the excessive fanservice, the early chapters of Negima allow the story to have a more fulfilling story arc. Until it hits a brick wall at the end :(

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Is the anime the same as the manga?

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Rei_ posted:

There are like four different anime versions of Negima, none of them is an adequate substitute for reading the manga.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Rei_ posted:

No, the anime cuts off right when the anime does its genre shift, so the anime is just all comedy silliness. All the following animes just continue the first anime's nonsense.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Rei_ posted:

No, the animes go all-in on the harem nonsense and skip almost all the shounen goodness. Read the manga instead.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

None of the anime adaptations really cover what is good about the later parts of the manga, either. The first one emphasized the skeevy naked 14 year old girl poo poo above all else and had a crappy anime filler ending. The second was mostly just a vehicle for Shinbo humor, and had jack all to do with the manga. I thought it was actually kind of charming. The OVAs jumped all over the place, and even though they were ostensibly adaptations of (arguably) the best parts of the manga they cut out as much of the crazy fights and character development for fanservice as possible.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rei_ posted:

Negima! is kind of like the comic. It followed it for a bit then did an anime-original ending right after Kyoto (and excluded a major character, though to be fair at that point in time he wasn't important). It was also garbage and animated by Xebec.

Negima!? is basically a re-imagining of Negima produced by Shaft. Stuff's pretty crazy but I've never seen it all. It doesn't follow the comic's plot at all.

There are several OVAs/OADs that adapt later parts of Negima and apparently did so pretty competently? I think there's a Magic Festival one (around chapter 120-1...60?) and a Magic World one (like 200+, iirc). They're really not a substitute however.

A good rule of thumb is to ask yourself if it's a Ken Akamatsu work. If it is, it doesn't have a good anime. Weird how that works, but there it is. Just read the comic; skip the first two volumes if you can't take fanservice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

If you end up reading Negima, and you should, please post your reactions in this thread. I'd love to hear what a first-time reader thinks of it. :)

• Locked thread