Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Otto Skorzeny posted:

It depends on what you mean by mobility. My understanding is that well made full plate restricts the movement of your joints less, but is going to tire you out more quickly due to the weight. Obviously the gauge of mail we're comparing plate to has an effect on this. And if you go High Middle Ages and have full plate over mail and compare that to just mail, of course there's no question.
Plate would weigh less than a full coat of mail and carry the weight far better than mail. The only issue with Cadegund's gear is that the plate is, well, plate. Mail, while both heavy and cumbersome, can at least let you nestle a gun butt in your shoulder. Plate, by contrast, has a smooth, curved piece of metal there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Do Finnish people get +5 str regardless of their occupation, and in addition to the +4 or whatever they get to driving cars? That race is completely OP and needs a rebalance.

Yes but we all have to pick either alcoholism or depression as a mandatory flaw in char gen.

(actually I'm pretty sure there's just no money in competitive powerlifting, so anyone who actually competes either has a real job or lives on unemployment benefits)

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Ravenfood posted:

Mail, while both heavy and cumbersome, can at least let you nestle a gun butt in your shoulder. Plate, by contrast, has a smooth, curved piece of metal there.

I mentioned this earlier, thank you for agreeing with me :)

Otto Skorzeny posted:

I think the concept of sticking her in full plate was flawed for a pair of reasons - the first is that it is difficult to shoulder a firearm properly in comparatively flexible modern body armor, much less full plate,

Now the first problem I have there could be mitigated if they gave Cad a firing stick to go with her arquebus - it's still going to deflect under recoil since it's impossible to get the butt into the pocket of her shoulder, but that isn't a huge problem given how long it takes to reload an arquebus and the amount of movement in its manual of arms anyways.

e: that being said I understand why they stuck with the term people were used to and this doesn't in any way affect my enjoyment of the game

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Ravenfood posted:

Plate would weigh less than a full coat of mail and carry the weight far better than mail. The only issue with Cadegund's gear is that the plate is, well, plate. Mail, while both heavy and cumbersome, can at least let you nestle a gun butt in your shoulder. Plate, by contrast, has a smooth, curved piece of metal there.

Couldn't you have a gun butt rest built into the armor though? A quick google search seemed to indicate that some modern body armors have dedicated padding for rifle butts.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Couldn't you have a gun butt rest built into the armor though? A quick google search seemed to indicate that some modern body armors have dedicated padding for rifle butts.

You could sort of do this (the images we have of plate armor wearers in PE, including Cadegund, visibly lack such a thing), and it might work. If you just went with shaping the metal on the exterior of the breastplate or with something conceptually similar to a RL lance rest/arręt, I don't think it would work too well - you still have the problem of the contact surfaces (the butt of the arquebus and the pauldron/spaulder with "gun rest") both being convex, somewhat slick and rigid, which with the jolt of firing the gun is going to cause them to slip against each other unless our gun rest kind of wedges it in. A strap or chunk of leather might do the trick though, given that there's more friction and some give so the butt of the arquebus can dig in a little under recoil.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

When I played Darklands, I had my plated warrior carry around an axe/polearm (that was just a little shorter than him in the graphic) and a long gun, and in my mind he had modified the axe butt to have prongs so he could stick it on the ground and use it as an aiming platform for when he was shooting at oncoming targets. It made sense in my mind, though I'm not sure anyone actually had a melee weapon do double duty like that.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Lotish posted:

When I played Darklands, I had my plated warrior carry around an axe/polearm (that was just a little shorter than him in the graphic) and a long gun, and in my mind he had modified the axe butt to have prongs so he could stick it on the ground and use it as an aiming platform for when he was shooting at oncoming targets. It made sense in my mind, though I'm not sure anyone actually had a melee weapon do double duty like that.

Streltsy

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Otto Skorzeny posted:

You could sort of do this (the images we have of plate armor wearers in PE, including Cadegund, visibly lack such a thing), and it might work. If you just went with shaping the metal on the exterior of the breastplate or with something conceptually similar to a RL lance rest/arręt, I don't think it would work too well - you still have the problem of the contact surfaces (the butt of the arquebus and the pauldron/spaulder with "gun rest") both being convex, somewhat slick and rigid, which with the jolt of firing the gun is going to cause them to slip against each other unless our gun rest kind of wedges it in. A strap or chunk of leather might do the trick though, given that there's more friction and some give so the butt of the arquebus can dig in a little under recoil.

Ah like some webbing combined with

I gotcha.

^That's pretty cool with the axe gun stands!

Mr.Pibbleton fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 15, 2014

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Oh you're right! I had forgotten that those guys were actually who I was thinking of when I made that character.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Lotish posted:

Oh you're right! I had forgotten that those guys were actually who I was thinking of when I made that character.

Replete with the hat, right?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

The hat makes the man, of course.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

You probably could, but you'd either have to destroy the curve of the shoulder-piece, weakening it significantly, or do some really weird rearranging. Long story short, the only way I can imagine doing it, you'd end up either weakening the plate or leaving some pretty large gaps. I'm sure someone has done it and I'm just not familiar with it. The easiest way would probably be to just remove the spaulder or pauldron and avoid a guard on that shoulder, ideally with mail and leather underneath. You might also be able to work up something really fancy with a besagaw. Those are round circle shield-things that basically cover the armpit. With the right set-up, you could probably get it to cover the armpit without losing much protection, functioning kind of like a lance rest/besagaw combination. I don't know, I'm really talking out of my rear end here.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Replete with the hat, right?

They better have that hat in this game. Morrowind had a hat that looked like that, and it was good. Oblivion and Skyrim didn't have a hat like that, and they were mediocre. In conclusion, it's scientifically proven that hat will make your game better. Sawyer, you better put that hat in the game if you want to succeed.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

On the other hand, I just learned how the Streltsies went out. Dark times.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

CottonWolf posted:

I'm interested to see how that works with chanters as they have a progression of phrases through time. Does it take longer to voice them? Longer till you get an invocation? Or as they're a 'constant effect' is it only other actions that are affected?
Constant/modal abilities aren't affected by armor, but chanters have to build up to using an invocation, so they will likely spend most of their time in weapon-based combat. Both invocations and weapon attacks have recovery times and those are affected by armor.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

CottonWolf posted:

Roleplaying a Goldpact could be really cool. Especially if you could lie and cheat people with no consequences most of the time, but as soon as you took money from them you had to act like an honourable servant or risk ruining your powers. That would be a cool character dynamic.
I want to see both the Goldpact and BW storylines, I hope this game has enough replayability to make two paladin playthroughs feel different.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Jackard posted:

I want to see both the Goldpact and BW storylines, I hope this game has enough replayability to make two paladin playthroughs feel different.

Ropekid's quote kind of made it sound like you couldn't make a Bleak Walker paladin.
" There is a less gnarly group of mercenary paladins called the Goldpact Knights. They are believers in the idea that payment/gold is a solemn bond that must be upheld at all costs. They are the most "professional" and least morally-concerned paladin order players can select."

Mannn I can't wait for this game. The only thing I don't like so far is that there aren't enough companions to cover all the classes.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Ropekid's quote kind of made it sound like you couldn't make a Bleak Walker paladin.
" There is a less gnarly group of mercenary paladins called the Goldpact Knights. They are believers in the idea that payment/gold is a solemn bond that must be upheld at all costs. They are the most "professional" and least morally-concerned paladin order players can select."
Devastation!

:negative:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Mannn I can't wait for this game. The only thing I don't like so far is that there aren't enough companions to cover all the classes.

They got monk and dwarf, are there some weird hybrid variants of monk and dwarf that aren't being covered?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

You can make Bleak Walker or Goldpact Knight paladins. They don't have separate storylines or anything like that, but each order emphasizes different personalities.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

rope kid posted:

You can make Bleak Walker or Goldpact Knight paladins. They don't have separate storylines or anything like that, but each order emphasizes different personalities.

How about some sidequests that can be taken only by a priest/paladin of a certain god/order?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I don't know, the Bleak Walkers sound less professional and more morality-oriented than the Goldpact. The Goldpact dudes are literally "I'm going to do my job, exactly what is stipulated in my contract, and that's it." The Bleak Walkers have morality and purpose to them, its just an...interesting one. So while it definitely does imply that Bleak Walkers might not be available for players, there's definitely a read that makes you totally okay to join that organization.

edit: Beaten, and by someone with definitive answers no less.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

rope kid posted:

"You've beaten me. I cannot best you. I don't...I don't suppose you can be convinced to let me go?"
The paladin shook his head solemnly, "I'm sorry. The contract is sealed with gold. It cannot be broken."
"Even if I offer you double?"
"Again, to my deep regret..."
"I see. Then you must kill me. But...I suppose then your contract will be fulfilled, no? Leaves a bit of an opening in your schedule? I don't suppose I can hire you for... one more job? When this one is finished?"
The paladin frowned thoughtfully, raising his eyebrows and shrugging, "Well, the job was just for you; we never did discuss 'protection.'"
"I suppose I can take some comfort in that, at least."
"Always happy to serve."

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Disco Infiva posted:

How about some sidequests that can be taken only by a priest/paladin of a certain god/order?
Not for this project, no. We have 11 classes and several orders/deities just for paladins/priests. Making class-specific content really narrows the available material for someone to play through.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

rope kid posted:

Not for this project, no. We have 11 classes and several orders/deities just for paladins/priests. Making class-specific content really narrows the available material for someone to play through.

I, for reals, can't wait for the expansion to see what else you guys come up with/go deeper into. I would only ever give Obsidian (and maybe the Witcher dudes) $60 for a game that was two plus years out. :allears:

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

They got monk and dwarf, are there some weird hybrid variants of monk and dwarf that aren't being covered?

Once per year (the first Sunday after Easter)

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

rope kid posted:

Thank you! This has always been something of a pet peeve of mine so I'm glad to hear that we won't be getting a Handmaiden/Disciple situation like in KOTOR 2.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

rope kid posted:

Will there be class specific dialogue options?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Will there be class specific dialogue options?
A few, but they are one of the least commonly-used qualifiers. Attributes, skills, and races are more common.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

rope kid posted:

A few, but they are one of the least commonly-used qualifiers. Attributes, skills, and races are more common.

At the end of the day true class specific options aren't a big deal. Just interested in being able to talk the talk and feel like a proper Druid I guess. Gettin' in character and all that.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It seemed a bit of a waste to have 8 different stronghold questlines in BG2 if you could only do one per playthrough.

edit: Also, was the pathfinding always terrible in the Windspear dungeon? I hope 14 years on we won't have that problem in Eternity.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 15, 2014

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

Lotish posted:

"You've beaten me. I cannot best you. I don't...I don't suppose you can be convinced to let me go?"
The paladin shook his head solemnly, "I'm sorry. The contract is sealed with gold. It cannot be broken."
"I see. Then you must kill me. But...I suppose then your contract will be fulfilled, no? Leaves a bit of an opening in your schedule? I don't suppose I can hire you for... one more job? When this one is finished?"
The paladin frowned thoughtfully, raising his eyebrows and shrugging, "Well, the job was just for you; we never did discuss 'protection.'"
"Always happy to serve."

:fap:

That would be awesome.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

It seemed a bit of a waste to have 8 different stronghold questlines in BG2 if you could only do one per playthrough.

edit: Also, was the pathfinding always terrible in the Windspear dungeon? I hope 14 years on we won't have that problem in Eternity.

On the other hand, it's kind of amazing that there were 8 different stronghold questlines + a boatload of content (most, but not all of it open to all characters) in the game. Baldur's Gate 2 isn't quite *exactly* how I want my RPGs (I'm more of a Fallout guy), but drat, it was a fine game.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I'll chip in another 50 dollars if we can get the BG2 narrator booming "What is this, TUMBLR?!?!" hidden in the sound files.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

Lotish posted:

"Always happy to serve."

Angel Eyes, is that you?

verybad fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 15, 2014

Ataru13
Jul 28, 2005

...Packing Space-Age Shit!
^^^ Edit: Man, I really need to watch that again, I can't believe I forgot it.

gently caress, what movie is this from? It's right on the tip of my tongue and it's driving me crazy.

Ataru13 fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 15, 2014

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

epitasis posted:

I'll chip in another 50 dollars if we can get the BG2 narrator booming "What is this, TUMBLR?!?!" hidden in the sound files.

You must check your privilege before venturing forth.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
rope kid :allears:

https://twitter.com/jesawyer/status/467020263826415616

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm not sure if I imagined this or not but did I read something about getting the same 'you must gather your party before venturing forth' dude back to record some stuff for PoE? Because that would be fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Yes he's reading a bunch of lines about the scourge of social justice warriors that are ruining the internet. But like within a fantasy metaphor I mean

• Locked thread