Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

UberJumper posted:

but Marie seems pretty awesome :allears:

I think this is actually the first time these words have been unironically spoken on these forums. Good job on your first, UberJumper!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Neurion posted:

No, you got it all wrong, its Hanako Ohtani :byodame:

Finally, I can be with my true waifu, the major

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
If they casted McGlynn as Naoto you could've been with her already.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

I think its really funny that, to this day, no one has any idea who naoto's actual VA is

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Her original VA or her Golden/Anime VA, because isn't the latter McGlynn?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Her anime VA is McGlynn (The better voice IMO) and her Vanilla/Golden voice is just speculation, people think it's Nicole Karrer, but I haven't played Tales of the Abyss (She voiced Tear in that) in so long I couldn't confirm if it were her or not. Even me with all if my VA knowledge cannot crack this case.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

alcharagia posted:

I think this is actually the first time these words have been unironically spoken on these forums. Good job on your first, UberJumper!

Came here to post this. I am pleased to be beaten to it.

I only tolerate Marie because she trolls the poo poo out of Rise. That makes her grudgingly okayish but she is still pretty awful.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

UberJumper posted:

Chie's new VA is starting to grow on me, but Marie seems pretty awesome :allears:

Oh by the way, goons have a hilarious irrational hatred of Marie, so keep that in mind. :)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Nothing irrational about it. She's the distillation of some really tiresome anime tropes. It's nothing more complicated than that.

Edit: That and she's inserted into the game like a fanfiction OC do not steal.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Captain Oblivious posted:

Nothing irrational about it. She's the distillation of some really tiresome anime tropes. It's nothing more complicated than that.

Yeah no, I've seen the way goons post about her. It's absolutely absurd.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

Are you denying that Marie is the most tiresome and generic tsundere destined anime waifu? It's basically the same criticism people have of Yukiko except taken to 11.

Yukiko at least has the decency to not write terrible poetry and not be all BUT IT'S NOT LIKE I LIKE YOU OR ANYTHING B-BAKA every event.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Marie is bad, and quite frankly. I don't care for her, at all.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Are you denying that Marie is the most tiresome and generic tsundere destined anime waifu? It's basically the same criticism people have of Yukiko except taken to 11.

Yukiko at least has the decency to not write terrible poetry and not be all BUT IT'S NOT LIKE I LIKE YOU OR ANYTHING B-BAKA every event.

Nope, I'm not denying any of that. It's true. Doesn't stop you guys from being hilariously over the top about her though.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Like if her Slink didn't open up a sweet epilogue I would refuse to do her Slink out of spite

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.
Marie is pretty bland. I still think she's much much MUCH better than Yukiko and her shoehorned "endearing character trait". But yeah, Marie isn't great.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I was genuinely surprised that Marie never manifested a giant novelty mallet and HILARIOUSLY whacked Yosuke in the dome with it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Actually no, wait, I change my mind. She's definitely a tsundere archetype and all that, but I've seen much worse.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Marie is a fairly generic and boring but mostly okay character who looks much worse because she's surrounded by actual well-written and good characters.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

Marie is not terrible because shes a bad character, she is terrible because she is super forced. When you hang out with Marie, its not like every other social link in the game, where its just you and them, chilling and working out personal problems. When you hang out with Marie the rest of the gang shows up exclusively to go "Gosh Marie, you're so cool and awesome, Im glad the protag has friends like you". Without getting into spoilers Marie is also awkwardly shoehorned into the main plot, and to top things off she's required for a lot of the new content. You can't even friendzone her like everyone else, her valentines event is unskippable. You know she's bad when even the japanese fans don't like her.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

King of Solomon posted:

I am going to have words with you, sir.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Marie is also responsible for the worst cut scene in the game so there is that.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Marie is also responsible for the worst cut scene in the game so there is that.

Now this is a complaint I can get behind. That poo poo just comes out of nowhere.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't even remember what cutscene it is.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Orgia Carnaval posted:

I don't even remember what cutscene it is.

They're probably talking about the second bath scene.

Because that scene is terrible.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh okay, I mean it was just a dumb bathhouse cutscene so I didn't think much of it.

KoB
May 1, 2009

King of Solomon posted:

Actually no, wait, I change my mind. She's definitely a tsundere archetype and all that, but I've seen much worse.

That doesnt make her any less terrible.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

KoB posted:

That doesnt make her any less terrible.

No, but the post I was quoting was suggesting that she is the worst ever, which I can't get behind.

Also she just wasn't that bad. I get that there's accounting for taste, but jesus christ.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 15, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

No, but the post I was quoting was suggesting that she is the worst ever, which I can get behind.

Also she just wasn't that bad. I get that there's accounting for taste, but jesus christ.

Someone else said it best. There is worse in the world of anime but that's not really relevant. The P4 writers can do much better and that's what makes her unacceptable.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Someone else said it best. There is worse in the world of anime but that's not really relevant. The P4 writers can do much better and that's what makes her unacceptable.

They can also do much, much worse. The game had a lot of really loving good content, no need to freak out because one part of it was just kind-of okay, even if it's one of the larger additions.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They really can't though, the P4 cast is very hit or miss in terms of characters and S. Links, Chie and Kanji are fantastic , but the same writers made characters like Yukiko, Yumi, and Ayane. Can they do better? Sure, but it's not like they make a character and know how people are gonna react to them, especially when they're the only ones who can give reception on said characters and that is a conflict of interest.

There are going to be bad characters in a cast where several characters exist and that's something you need to accept. This is not even mentioning they're a Japanese company that writes for Japanese people.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The entire point is that she isn't just okay, especially in comparison to the rest of the game.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Pretty sure there'd be a lot less hate if she was just a bad character, but one that wasn't extremely clumsily wedged into the game.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
It boggles my mind that people haven't realized the reason Marie is a generic tsundere archetype isn't because of bad writing; it's because it's a facade. A front. An act she puts on in front of other people to hide the fact that she's terrified of her circumstances. She has no memory of who she is or where she comes from, and the only help she's got to figure any of it out are you and the Velvet Room crew.

Maybe it's not as well-written as the other S. Links in the game, but it's not anywhere near as shallow as goons like to think it is; it's one of the series's central themes, that nobody is really who they appear to be on the surface.

And the terrible poetry was hilarious. :colbert:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

You're giving the writers way too much credit.

Also saying it's one of the central themes is pointless too since it's not like it applies to literally any of the party members. They act exactly the same before and after their arcs.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I've read a lot of really bad self-insert fanfiction. I've written some really bad self-insert fanfiction. While not "really bad", Marie is straight up some like B- self-insert fanfiction. It just happens to be official is all.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

W.T. Fits posted:

And the terrible poetry was hilarious. :colbert:

Finally, a goon that gets the point of the poetry.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

I did like that one of her "poems" was basically a lovely rap song.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ALL YOU CLOWNS

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

I only tolerate Marie because she trolls the poo poo out of Rise. That makes her grudgingly okayish but she is still pretty awful.

I completely ignored Marie until December and if I'd known this, I'd have gone through her link sooner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

A Bystander posted:

I completely ignored Marie until December and if I'd known this, I'd have gone through her link sooner.

It's not really worth it in and of itself but yeah my disdain for Rise means that the extent to which Marie makes Rise super mad pleases me.

• Locked thread