Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I liked that one guy's Let's Play about Final Fantasy IV: The After Years, although I think I liked Ursula's and Yang's forest section more than he did for different reasons than he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

That or talking about how terribly anime they are and how much they hate JRPGs, which makes me question why they are even doing a Let's Play of a JRPG to begin with.

Not that I'm defending XIII-2 or anything but just, JRPGs in general seem to be treated like that on the LP forum.

Popular LPers do mock LPs of JRPGs because their viewers care more about the LPers than the game anyway and negative LPs have more opportunities for jokes. I think by volume you'll find that most LPs of JRPGs are normal and there have been dozens of successful and positive LPs of games from the Final Fantasy, Tales, SMT series and more. There are even lovingly crafted, glowing LPs of total garbage like Hyperdimension Neptunia.

Sorry someone doesn't like a thing you like, I guess.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Francis posted:

Popular LPers do mock LPs of JRPGs because their viewers care more about the LPers than the game anyway and negative LPs have more opportunities for jokes. I think by volume you'll find that most LPs of JRPGs are normal and there have been dozens of successful and positive LPs of games from the Final Fantasy, Tales, SMT series and more. There are even lovingly crafted, glowing LPs of total garbage like Hyperdimension Neptunia.

Sorry someone doesn't like a thing you like, I guess.
Iunno, I'm fine with people making GBS threads on things I like so long as they either have valid points or are funny about it, but a lot of negative video LPs are so negative that they just become a chore to watch. It's not really fun to watch someone suffer through something they hate.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Recording a 100% playthrough of XIII-2 is possibly the worst idea any human has ever had. Having 50% of the thread's posts be from Azure Horizon didn't help either.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Endorph posted:

Iunno, I'm fine with people making GBS threads on things I like so long as they either have valid points or are funny about it, but a lot of negative video LPs are so negative that they just become a chore to watch. It's not really fun to watch someone suffer through something they hate.

The internet finds 'man this show/movie/game/whatever sucks and I hate it and I'm yelling obscenities!' to be funnier than 'This game has many issues, and I will explain them in a rational manner' and 'I really enjoy this game! Here's why...'

See: Any internet review of anything ever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I find negative LPs kind of boring most of the time. Even if it is a game I personally dislike I'd rather watch someone who likes it (or at least has some form of positive feeling about it) LP it because they usually do their best to show off what makes the game interesting or unique. I mean the Drakengard LP or whatever isn't shy about the game's many faults but at the end of the day it still comes from a place where the LPer had some form of positive feelings about the game.

In the case of Lightning Returns, I'd rather watch someone who actually enjoys some element of the game actually play the game over someone who shoves it on Easy and obviously doesn't even want to be playing it, because the latter usually leads to someone missing basic poo poo about the game and then a bunch of people who only watched the LP also missing said basic poo poo about the game and repeating it ad nausium.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 15, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's a shame that Id's LP of FFX is KIA, because it was actually the first good LP of that game I've seen and he gives respect to it for what it does well and points out when it does something bad instead of blind praise or hate.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

ImpAtom posted:

I find negative LPs kind of boring most of the time. Even if it is a game I personally dislike I'd rather watch someone who likes it (or at least has some form of positive feeling about it) LP it because they usually do their best to show off what makes the game interesting or unique. I mean the Drakengard LP or whatever isn't shy about the game's many faults but at the end of the day it still comes from a place where the LPer had some form of positive feelings about the game.

In the case of Lightning Returns, I'd rather watch someone who actually enjoys some element of the game actually play the game over someone who shoves it on Easy and obviously doesn't even want to be playing it, because the latter usually leads to someone missing basic poo poo about the game and then a bunch of people who only watched the LP also missing said basic poo poo about the game and repeating it ad nausium.

Speaking of which, KFJ is awful at the game and didn't bother to block in any of the initial battles. Also, playing on easy takes a lot of the tension and pressure to use the battle system properly out of the game, so no poo poo he's going to think it's simple and dumb.

Ugh.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Speaking of which, KFJ is awful at the game and didn't bother to block in any of the initial battles. Also, playing on easy takes a lot of the tension and pressure to use the battle system properly out of the game, so no poo poo he's going to think it's simple and dumb.

Ugh.

It is a dumb game, regardless of what he thinks though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

It is a dumb game, regardless of what he thinks though.

The storyline is dumb but the gameplay mechanics are actually pretty good. It has a lot of customization, a lot of freedom of where to go and what to do, a battle system with a surprising amount of depth that you can make as hard or easy as you like and which has a Mario-style timed hit/timed block mechanic and various other things, plus you can wear a pumpkin head or a giant mustache to make the cutscenes tolerable.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 15, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

The storyline is dumb but the gameplay mechanics are actually pretty good.

For me, they're more 'better than 13 and 13-2' than actually good. For me compared to other RPGs the systems kind of really simple and forgiving and compared to actual Action games it's pathetically slow and unwieldy.

They're not so good as to justify all of the bad poo poo in the game and I came out the other side still regretting playing it.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I still think the funniest unintentional joke in the 13-2 LP is that they continually say that they like Caius for how clear and obvious his motives are as a villain, while not realizing that the motives they're attributing to him were actually the motives of a completely different person.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

For me, they're more 'better than 13 and 13-2' than actually good. For me compared to other RPGs the systems kind of really simple and forgiving and compared to actual Action games it's pathetically slow and unwieldy.

They're not so good as to justify all of the bad poo poo in the game and I came out the other side still regretting playing it.

I'd like to know what Final Fantasy game you don't find simple and forgiving then. I mean, yeah, LR is not a hard game, but it's a Final Fantasy game. The closest a Final Fantasy game comes to complex or difficult is when you do gimmick runs like FJF or No Sphere Grid.

Edit: Honestly, I'd extend that to 'game Square has published' and feel comfortable with it. I mean Valkyrie Profile is one of my favorite games but it's pretty trivial to set up near-invincibility and the combo mechanics are much more simplistic than a 'true' action game.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 15, 2014

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Grandstanding negative LPs can be good when they're of something utterly awful like Sonic 2006, but no FFXIII game is that bad. A game like LR that does some interesting things and some stupid things would be better served by an exploration than trying to spin ordinarily bad/silly writing into the Ultimate Anime Crime.

Really, a good initial filter for opinions of Japanese games is how often 'anime' is used as a perjorative.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I'd like to know what Final Fantasy game you don't find simple and forgiving then. I mean, yeah, LR is not a hard game, but it's a Final Fantasy game. The closest a Final Fantasy game comes to complex or difficult is when you do gimmick runs like FJF or No Sphere Grid.

Yeah but see, usually FF games, or at least the goods ones, have enough other great poo poo (World Design/Story/Characters/Music/etc.) that the fact that they're pretty easy RPGs don't really bother me. LR, for me at least, doesn't really excite me with basically anything past the initial thought of 'Yeah this is a pretty video game'.

And regarding Square games that I found difficult/complex, the later KH games do have some legit fun and, well difficult isn't a perfect word so maybe engaging boss fights and areas. Bravely Defaults later subquests (The Three and Four Man Party fights) were also pretty okay.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah but see, usually FF games, or at least the goods ones, have enough other great poo poo (World Design/Story/Characters/Music/etc.) that the fact that they're pretty easy RPGs don't really bother me. LR, for me at least, doesn't really excite me with basically anything past the initial thought of 'Yeah this is a pretty video game'.

And regarding Square games that I found difficult/complex, the later KH games do have some legit fun and, well difficult isn't a perfect word so maybe engaging boss fights and areas. Bravely Defaults later subquests (The Three and Four Man Party fights) were also pretty okay.

No offense is intended by this but like... Kingdom Hearts (which I also like) seriously, in the later games, comes down to mashing a few set broken abilities over and over again. It is even more simplistic than LR despite having more straightforward action and the story... well. I mean I like the game well enough but complex or difficult (aside from maybe the super-duper optional bosses, or at least the ones who don't get stuck against a rock or die to Reflect-spam) isn't a word I'd use to describe them. likewise Bravely Default literally lets you make yourself invincible in multiple ways. I had to specifically alter my setup around Chapter 5 because I'd figured out a way to literally autobattle through every fight.

I don't know. I guess I feel like a lot of the time the hatred for LR is more based upon the fact it is a FFXIII game more than anything about the game itself and if it had been marketed as Valkyrie Profile: Hrist or something it would be looked on a lot more positively even despite having a stupid story. The core mechanics are not perfect but they're pretty customizable, offer a lot of flexibility, the game is willing to hit you pretty drat hard and each enemy has their own gimmicks and each boss does too, including several bosses having multiple forms depending on when you fight them. It isn't hard but the core combat mechanics are pretty drat good for a Final Fantasy game.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 15, 2014

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Hellioning posted:

The internet finds 'man this show/movie/game/whatever sucks and I hate it and I'm yelling obscenities!' to be funnier than 'This game has many issues, and I will explain them in a rational manner' and 'I really enjoy this game! Here's why...'

See: Any internet review of anything ever.

The internet is loving dogshit

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

The storyline is dumb but the gameplay mechanics are actually pretty good. It has a lot of customization, a lot of freedom of where to go and what to do, a battle system with a surprising amount of depth that you can make as hard or easy as you like and which has a Mario-style timed hit/timed block mechanic and various other things, plus you can wear a pumpkin head or a giant mustache to make the cutscenes tolerable.

Apparently all weapon upgrades are locked until you beat the game?

Yeah it's dumb.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

ImpAtom posted:

...likewise Bravely Default literally lets you make yourself invincible in multiple ways. I had to specifically alter my setup around Chapter 5 because I'd figured out a way to literally autobattle through every fight.

Just chiming in on Bravely Default, while what you said about the time around Chapter 5 is true, the 3- and 4-boss fights against the asterisk holders, which I think start up around Chapter 7 are what he was referring to and are quite difficult even with relatively strong setups. There's one in particular which I'm still not entirely sure how I beat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah it's dumb.

It actually isn't that dumb. The reason the weapon and accessory system unlocks on NG+ is because that is when you unlock the inflated stats for enemies and the new upgrade system allows your previously unlocked weapons and items to remain viable in the extra hard mode. You have a regular game progression track where you get new weapons, armor and items on a regular basis and then a NG+ progression track where those things get upgraded to compensate for stronger enemies.

CeallaSo posted:

Just chiming in on Bravely Default, while what you said about the time around Chapter 5 is true, the 3- and 4-boss fights against the asterisk holders, which I think start up around Chapter 7 are what he was referring to and are quite difficult even with relatively strong setups. There's one in particular which I'm still not entirely sure how I beat.

I could switch back to the same setup to beat those guys. I even used it on Adventurer to test it out and it was fine. They're challenging if you gimmick yourself to not use incredibly powerful stuff but that's Final Fantasy in a nutshell and goes back to stuff like No Sphere Grid challenges.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

No you're right, most of the KH fights aren't difficult but I still find them more compelling that any of the LR fights. For Bravely default the job system and how the later skills interacted with the BP system were just complex enough that I could find a lot of fun out of them, even though I could just plow through the fights. Where as in LR, I could plow through almost every fight without trying too much AND I found the Job/Outfit/Skill changing kind of boring. I really like the combat in the original FF13, so much so that I actually pushed through that game and beat all the hunt sidequests, so LR being a game about those characters didn't bother me much, though I really wish Sazh was used better. Disco-club/King Snow was pretty alright.

It's a Solid "Buy this when it's $20 or lower" game, but for what I payed for it I kind of regret it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I can agree it isn't worth $60. It's got enough flaws that I feel like $20-$30 is the sweet spot for it.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

ImpAtom posted:

No offense is intended by this but like... Kingdom Hearts (which I also like) seriously, in the later games, comes down to mashing a few set broken abilities over and over again. It is even more simplistic than LR despite having more straightforward action and the story... well. I mean I like the game well enough but complex or difficult (aside from maybe the super-duper optional bosses, or at least the ones who don't get stuck against a rock or die to Reflect-spam) isn't a word I'd use to describe them. likewise Bravely Default literally lets you make yourself invincible in multiple ways. I had to specifically alter my setup around Chapter 5 because I'd figured out a way to literally autobattle through every fight.

eh....Kingdom Hearts 1's Sephiroth is the most difficult boss in any Square game I've ever played (i'd even say top 3 in any video game ive ever played).

It's possible the core mechanics of the fight aren't as demanding as other superbosses from other games but the learning curve in KH is completely non-existent and you sleepwalk through everything with attack/potion; then when you unlock sephiroth you have to actually learn how to dodge/block/quickheal, etc. which was too much to learn for one battle and I never got around to doing it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

eh....Kingdom Hearts 1's Sephiroth is the most difficult boss in any Square game I've ever played (i'd even say top 3 in any video game ive ever played).

It's possible the core mechanics of the fight aren't as demanding as other superbosses from other games but the learning curve in KH is completely non-existent and you sleepwalk through everything with attack/potion; then when you unlock sephiroth you have to actually learn how to dodge/block/quickheal, etc. which was too much to learn for one battle and I never got around to doing it.

I imagine if you went back to it now with more knowledge you'd probably wreck his face.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

What's cool about Lightning Returns is that it has pretty much exactly the control scheme I thought XIII and XIII-2 should've had, in fact it's probably somewhere in my post history. I'm not sure if it would be better or worse with two AI-controlled party members, because on the one hand being solo didn't stop Birth by Sleep from being the best Kingdom Hearts game, although on the other hand I thought the AI in XIII was pretty drat good.

If they had found a way to incorporate that zero-gravity device she had at the start of XIII (and magically got back later, with spares for all the other party members), then it would be almost exactly what the initial trailer for XIII promised. Is there any way to get her original outfit in the game, though? I don't think I saw it in the DLC store.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

What's cool about Lightning Returns is that it has pretty much exactly the control scheme I thought XIII and XIII-2 should've had, in fact it's probably somewhere in my post history. I'm not sure if it would be better or worse with two AI-controlled party members, because on the one hand being solo didn't stop Birth by Sleep from being the best Kingdom Hearts game, although on the other hand I thought the AI in XIII was pretty drat good.

If they had found a way to incorporate that zero-gravity device she had at the start of XIII (and magically got back later, with spares for all the other party members), then it would be almost exactly what the initial trailer for XIII promised. Is there any way to get her original outfit in the game, though? I don't think I saw it in the DLC store.

Have a FFXIII save data.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

While none of the writing was very good from a craft perspective, Snow and funnily enough Caius and Noel were all used effectively in LR. The Luxerion and Yusnaan quests particularly have a tone of fatalism and regret that's different from the usual fare and fits the premise of the game well. The narrative suffers a lot when it has to shift into a more conventional videogame setup as the climax approaches and vanishes up its own metaphysics re: Serah.

ImpAtom posted:

I don't know. I guess I feel like a lot of the time the hatred for LR is more based upon the fact it is a FFXIII game more than anything about the game itself

A friend of mine whose XIII experience is getting maybe halfway through the original complained about just this to me when he was looking at reviews, so it's not just you.

I stopped reading this thread between the Japanese release and playing it myself so that I wouldn't have to run a minefield of spoilers and outrage/derision of mundane things.

Peel fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 15, 2014

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Have a FFXIII save data.

Oh, I guess I already have it then. What does XIII-2 get you?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ImpAtom posted:

I imagine if you went back to it now with more knowledge you'd probably wreck his face.

To this day I am able to beat Sephiroth on my first try at Level 50 on KH1 replays because I know how to fight him. That game is so great.

That loving Sned posted:

Her Knight of Etro outfit

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

Her FFXIII-2 outfit, basically.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

:doh: Well, at least it's not Serah's costume.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

It's worth getting hold of the 13-2 garb because it comes with a really good shield.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

ImpAtom posted:

All of this is why Dark ID's Nier LP (right behind SGF's Deadly Premonition LP) is one of the best ever

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Yeah it's dumb.

You seem to be pretty offended about the design of a game you apparently haven't played.

Edit:

Attitude Indicator posted:

There's usually a reason why people doent want to play a game, say if it has a dumb game design for one

Yeah, but not being able to upgrade your first run through isn't dumb? All it is is a way to scale stuff you get on a first run through with stuff you get on harder settings, so that you can realistically use whatever equipment you want.

This is compared to almost every game in the series where you just get straight upgrades and stuff you get early on becomes totally worthless 3 hours later. It's actually kind of a nice feature.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 15, 2014

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

There's usually a reason why people doent want to play a game, say if it has a dumb game design for one

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I bought lightning returns for $25 in the sale the other day, holy poo poo this game has so much DLC

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dross posted:

I bought lightning returns for $25 in the sale the other day, holy poo poo this game has so much DLC

It's basically all cosmetic. The base game has like 80 different costumes so unless you really want to dress up as Yuna it isn't worth it.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

It's also appallingly nickel-and-dime. I might have spent on a set of the seven samurai costumes for a reasonable price but they were such a ripoff individually I didn't buy anything.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Yeah, but it's pretty much all cosmetic, so it's not like you're missing much by not picking them up. Summoner Yuna and Cloud are pretty much the only ones that seem to give any big early game advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I haven't really gotten into the game yet so I don't understand how costumes work. When you say they're cosmetic, does that mean they don't do anything I can't otherwise do?