Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012

ladyboy pancake posted:

Is there more to the blog post or is it just that?

Schumer gave a speech recently (transcript here) where she recounted an instance in college where 18-year-old-her (who had self-esteem issues) raced to the room of a guy she liked and found him piss drunk. They attempted sex, but he kept falling asleep trying to give her head and couldn't get it up. She resolved to treat herself better.

:mrapig: is of the opinion that had their genders been reversed, MaleSchumer would have been scorned and jailed for rape.

Sleeping Sigma fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Sir Tonk posted:

It's a shared blame thing, in a lot of ways. The stories of vets not sending back required paperwork is extremely common and the VA is supposed to make a few calls trying to reach them after a specific time, I get a few this week after my new glasses came in and that's not even that important. If the VA personnel were not following up with them as required by whatever SOP they fall under, then that would be their fault, but personal responsibility does play a role. You have to actually go to a VA facility for treatment, they don't just send a personal doctor to every single vet, and if you refuse to answer any mail or phone calls, blaming the bureaucracy isn't going to solve anything. As much as the GOP seems to want to believe it, the feds aren't physically forcing people to go see doctors.

There is no shared responsibility in the actions that the people at these VA facilities resorted to to cover their asses. You are making it sound like the 40 reported people (so far) were responsible for their own deaths. Not sure why you decided to use this as a way to take a job at the GOP.

Lemming posted:

It's always a good time to leave Texas. I almost ended up there and every day I thank the great lord Satan that I didn't.

The place I interned and almost got a job at had bible study at lunch. Bible study at lunch at work.

It's funny, I don't understand how so many people manage to land in the lovely parts of TX. It's easy enough to avoid them.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!

Sleeping Sigma posted:

:mrapig: is of the opinion that had their genders been reversed, MaleSchumer would have been scorned and jailed for rape.

Uh, not to defend pigman, but a sober guy who fucks a piss-drunk woman who keeps falling asleep with his penis in her mouth is a rapist.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

karlor posted:

should have made Christine Lagarde orange :colbert:

Without a dramatic de-rail, could anyone summarise the opinion on Legande in the US? She came to Aus and there was much fawning due to being a breath of fresh (rational) air in our current DEBT CRISIS commentary.

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Uh, not to defend pigman, but a sober guy who fucks a piss-drunk woman who keeps falling asleep with his penis in her mouth is a rapist.

That's true, but the guy in question falls completely asleep without anything too major happening (he fingered her, poked her thigh with his dick and tried to stick his "third ball" in her) and she left shortly after.

I don't know, man. :shrug:

I don't think she should have attempted it to begin with, but I'm not sure if enough happened to define it as rape.

Sleeping Sigma fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 16, 2014

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?
I got into an argument about this on Reddit, but I feel like this only counts as a rape if the person in question was taken advantage of. As in, their will was subverted, they wouldn't have done it normally and they were pushed into it by another person. As in, without the guy on hand to testify that Amy Schumer subverted his good judgment, we shouldn't be calling this a rape.

Judging by the number of people who jumped down my throat on Reddit, I may or may not be starting a derail. But I don't think we, as outside observers who have no testimony from the alleged victim, can say that consent was coerced in this case. I've been too drunk and attempted things I couldn't perform, so by the same logic I could call myself a rape victim. Which is absurd, and insulting to actual rape victims. I mean, I'm not gonna join a support group or anything.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Sleeping Sigma posted:

That's true, but the guy in question falls completely asleep without anything too major happening (he fingered her, poked her thigh with his dick and tried to stick his "third ball" in her) and she left shortly after.

I don't know, man. :shrug:

I don't think she should have attempted it to begin with, but I'm not sure if enough happened to define it as rape.

So sexual assault and attempted rape then.

Well that's much better.

MisterBadIdea posted:

I got into an argument about this on Reddit, but I feel like this only counts as a rape if the person in question was taken advantage of. As in, their will was subverted, they wouldn't have done it normally and they were pushed into it by another person. As in, without the guy on hand to testify that Amy Schumer subverted his good judgment, we shouldn't be calling this a rape.

Judging by the number of people who jumped down my throat on Reddit, I may or may not be starting a derail. But I don't think we, as outside observers who have no testimony from the alleged victim, can say that consent was coerced in this case. I've been too drunk and attempted things I couldn't perform, so by the same logic I could call myself a rape victim. Which is absurd, and insulting to actual rape victims. I mean, I'm not gonna join a support group or anything.

Yeah, you're wrong.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Fried Chicken posted:

So sexual assault and attempted rape then.
Yeah, I wouldn't call it rape. Sexual assault might be stretching it? But it's more accurate.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!
It's...questionable to define rape or sexual assault based on whether the victim complains about it in the context of a society that ruthlessly mocks and emasculates a man who admits to being assaulted by a woman.

This is one of the very few areas where MRA's actually have a legitimate grievance. It's just that they're wrong about the cause of men being unable to come forward, which is really harmful gender stereotypes; and the solution, which is really feminism.

VVVVV
fixed (I think) thanks for pointing that out

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 16, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

JT Jag posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't call it rape. Sexual assault might be stretching it? But it's more accurate.

My comment was sarcastic, I would definitely call it rape, but A) it would be another massive derail in 24 hours and B) I don't want to get mad because people are wrong on the internet.

EDIT:

VitalSigns posted:

It's...questionable to define rape or sexual assault based on whether the victim complains about it in the context of a society that ruthlessly mocks and emasculates a man who admits to being assaulted by a woman.

This is one of the very few areas where MRA's actually have a legitimate grievance. It's just that they're wrong about the cause, which is really harmful gender stereotypes; and the solution, which is really feminism.
Hey heads up you may want to edit this, it is real easy to read it as you saying the cause of her raping him was gender stereotypes, rather than the cause of the unwillingness to come forward being gender stereotypes. I got about a paragraph in to a response before I realized the pronouns were ambiguous and you weren't completely misreading Dworkin to excuse her actions.

Fried Chicken fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 16, 2014

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Mo_Steel posted:

Walking is hard.

:syoon:

Will you send me the vector of the bird in case someone makes a really stupid bowling analogy and I can have it roll a strike? Would animate it so that it continues from yours if possible.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Apple Pie Hubbub fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 16, 2014

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

VitalSigns posted:

This is one of the very few areas where MRA's actually have a legitimate grievance. It's just that they're wrong about the cause, which is really harmful gender stereotypes; and the solution, which is really feminism.

Probably 90% of all MRA arguments boil down to this in the end, it's how they attract people who are on the fence about gender politics and keep the true believers in line.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

VitalSigns posted:

It's...questionable to define rape or sexual assault based on whether the victim complains about it.

Well, obviously. Not every rape victim will be honest about what happened to them, that's not what I mean. I mean that only the person it happened to knows whether their own consent were coerced; why would someone else know better than them?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I like this comic a lot.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Post 9-11 User posted:

:syoon:

Will you send me the vector of the bird in case someone makes a really stupid bowling analogy and I can have it roll a strike? Would animate it so that it continues from yours if possible.

I did it using frames and the rotation and lasso tools in Gimp. Don't know nothing about no fancy vectors. :eng99:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

DarklyDreaming posted:

Probably 90% of all MRA arguments boil down to this in the end, it's how they attract people who are on the fence about gender politics and keep the true believers in line.

Yeah, its basically the "What's the Matter With Kansas" issue for gender topics. Legitimate grievances to get them in the tent, once they identify as part of the group you rally them to the extreme poo poo.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

MisterBadIdea posted:

Well, obviously. Not every rape victim will be honest about what happened to them, that's not what I mean. I mean that only the person it happened to knows whether their own consent were coerced; why would someone else know better than them?

Because the definition of being able to give consent is defined outside the individuals? A 9 year old can think they want to sign a contract, but they legally can't consent to the terms because they are not able to make an informed judgement. This also applies to intoxication - if you are wasted, your thinking is impaired, so your conclusion is intrinsically compromised as well.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Actually, there is an interesting question there on how intoxication affects court rulings on the willingness to participate in an action. Should someone exploiting someone else while intoxicated count as coercion even if they may have volunteered if sober? And if so, does that mean that the actions of an intoxicated individual should be considered temporary insanity in the event they commit a crime?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Yeah, where did our competence go? I'd have to say it disappeared round about the time the President was playing a video at the correspondent's dinner of himself bumbling around asking in an exaggerated gee-shucks voice "Now where could those dang WMDs be???", as if he was not personally responsible for over 100 thousand deaths.

Why no I can't explain why I only just now started caring about where it went. Funniest thing.

MisterBadIdea
Oct 9, 2012

Anything?

quote:

This also applies to intoxication - if you are wasted, your thinking is impaired, so your conclusion is intrinsically compromised as well.

This definition is over-inclusive and then some. People have drunk sex all the drat time, wake up the next morning not feeling victimized or traumatized or regretful, so either this isn't rape or rape isn't a very big deal. This isn't rape in the vernacular sense, and it isn't rape in the legal sense because technically it's not a crime until the conviction, which will not happen without someone who feels victimized. (And that's entirely different from decisions made by a minor, where convictions can happen regardless of the child's will.) Assuming that a drunk yes definitely means yes can be a reckless and lovely thing to do, I realize, but the standards for "rape" have to be higher than that.

MisterBadIdea fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 16, 2014

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I feel like "what is rape?"is such a big and inflammatory topic that it would burn this thread to the ground and every poster who participated.

Mo_Steel posted:

Walking is hard.

This is great.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Does anyone have/know where I could find a good point-by-point rebuttal to all of these?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Nikaer Drekin posted:

Does anyone have/know where I could find a good point-by-point rebuttal to all of these?

1. Because thats what the CIA told them initially
2. Because the GOP blocked funding for expanding security
3. On the ground in Libya bayoneting the wounded of course.
4. Rushing to drop troops into a potentially hostile environment with minimal understanding of what's going on is a really loving bad idea. Also it happened in around 30 minutes and I'm afraid we havent developed the technology to hypersonically railgun marines from place to place yet.
5. If you have a good way to find out who in this mob set a particular fire, you should let someone know because you're a CIW megabrain.

e. Theres no point in rebutting them because anyone who still thinks these are actual questions won't settle for anything short of "because I despise america and will see it destroyed bismillah"

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 16, 2014

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

paranoid randroid posted:

4. Rushing to drop troops into a potentially hostile environment with minimal understanding of what's going on is a really loving bad idea. Also it happened in around 30 minutes and I'm afraid we havent developed the technology to hypersonically railgun marines from place to place yet.
5. If you have a good way to find out who in this mob set a particular fire, you should let someone know because you're a CIW megabrain.

e. Theres no point in rebutting them because anyone who still thinks these are actual questions won't settle for anything short of "because I despise america and will see it destroyed bismillah"
Addendum to the first: And because that actually was what happened

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Why did we like Bennett again?

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

El Scotch posted:

Don't you loving start

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

El Scotch posted:

Because he consistently makes good cartoons. Question answered forever. Stop posting.

Rubio's pear-shaped ghost is melting, gently caress!

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

majormonotone posted:

Don't you loving start

Crane Fist posted:

Because he consistently makes good cartoons. Question answered forever. Stop posting.

:thejoke:

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh man you sure got us by posting verbatim a common, contentious statement that comes up every couple of pages in this thread

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

There is no shared responsibility in the actions that the people at these VA facilities resorted to to cover their asses. You are making it sound like the 40 reported people (so far) were responsible for their own deaths. Not sure why you decided to use this as a way to take a job at the GOP.

I'm not talking about that specific office, I'm referring to the nationwide problem with processing disability claims and getting vets to come in for their routine appointments and even more important stuff that might be life-threatening. Not all VA's are run by people that're more concerned with covering their rear end than saving lives.

Lemming posted:

It's always a good time to leave Texas. I almost ended up there and every day I thank the great lord Satan that I didn't.

The place I interned and almost got a job at had bible study at lunch. Bible study at lunch at work.

The five major cities are fine and fairly liberal, hell we've got a lesbian mayor in Houston and the Castro brothers in SanAn. I was talking about our status as formerly underwater many years ago and perhaps returning there.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 16, 2014

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Crane Fist posted:

Oh man you sure got us by posting verbatim a common, contentious statement that comes up every couple of pages in this thread

:thejoke:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

"loving kill them already, kill 'em!" - Ramirez

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

I don't care what anyone says, when Day tries he's awesome, and I think he deserves a tweak to his description in th OP.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Jokes are incredibly illegal in this thread

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 16, 2014

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Oh, so selfies are okay if Uncle Sam does them, Ramirez?

(seriously what the gently caress is up with this one, I can't even parse the metaphor he was trying to go for)

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

6. i love death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

6. i love death

Alright, sure.

• Locked thread