Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Ashwat posted:

Anyone have a good suggestion for an online company that sells good fruit trees and berry bushes? The nurseries around here are kind of pathetic (Wisconsin). We're in the process of buying a house with a big yard and I'm itching to put in a bunch of fruitbearers.

Jung's has been good to me. I, and they, are both Wisconsin based as well. The owner is on the Larry Mueller Show here on the GB based Wis Public Radio from time to time as well.
We got raspberries from them this year. All their stock has arrived exceptionally well packed and labelled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

jvick posted:

I don't get that picture. Organics can be GMO's too.

I'm pretty sure in the definition of organic, it specifies that it can't be GMO. But GMO's can be grown organically, just not labelled organic.

http://blogs.usda.gov/2013/05/17/organic-101-can-gmos-be-used-in-organic-products/

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I'm pretty sure in the definition of organic, it specifies that it can't be GMO. But GMO's can be grown organically, just not labelled organic.

http://blogs.usda.gov/2013/05/17/organic-101-can-gmos-be-used-in-organic-products/

This all comes down to definitions. The generally accepted non-legally-tained definition of a GMO includes things like human assisted cross pollinated plants.

The legal definition of "GMO" seems to track more with genetically engineered organisms....as in screwing with genes in a lab, not just putting a male donkey and a female horse in the same pen.

Chicory
Nov 11, 2004

Behold the cuteness.

Big Beef City posted:

Jung's has been good to me. I, and they, are both Wisconsin based as well. The owner is on the Larry Mueller Show here on the GB based Wis Public Radio from time to time as well.
We got raspberries from them this year. All their stock has arrived exceptionally well packed and labelled.

I'm familiar with Jungs but actually have never looked at their online store. I've found the one store near me to be mainly full of random garden knickknacks and not much else... Looks like their website definitely has a better selection. Thanks!

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011
A few leaves on some of my chilli plants are starting to die. I typed up the symptoms on Google and got a huge list of poo poo that could be happening, this is my first time trying to seriously grow anything so I don't know what's up.

The two on the left seem to be developing transparent holes, and are starting to brown up around the sides and curl up, while the one of the right seems to be straight up dying.

All of my chilli plants are in a covered cloche 24/7 and it's only those three displaying these symptoms. They are all next to each other on the rightmost side of the cloche.

I water them once every 2/3 days and the cloche condenses up quite a lot, I'm unsure if I'm over watering them or it's a damp/humidity thing. I can see no evidence of insects apart from a stray ant now and then, I see no aphids or slug trails about.

Any ideas on what's going on / what I'm doing wrong that's causing this?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Dilettante. posted:

Any ideas on what's going on / what I'm doing wrong that's causing this?

What are they planted in? Looks like a potting mix?
Were they started indoors and brought outside?
Were they potted up or started in those pots? If potted up, how recently?
What is the temperature (high and low) and sunlight situation for them?

Without knowing the answers to those my best guesses would be stress on the roots from potting up.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Without knowing the answers to those my best guesses would be stress on the roots from potting up.

Also, what sort of fertilizer are you using?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

My bell pepper plants looked like that right after I potted them (for 2 weeks or so) and we had a lot of temperature and wind changes one after the other. The new leaves coming in are much better. Hopefully it grows out like mine did.

Dilettante.
Feb 18, 2011

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Yeah It's just multipurpose compost they are in, and I suppose you could say they were started indoors, as it was a covered patio sheltered from wind and rain. I potted them over about a week ago, and the temperature is fluctuating from sunny days at about 19c, to overcast days at around 16c I guess.

All my plants are in a polythene covered cloche so it's protected from the wind and rain, and I've positioned it so it will get the most sunshine possible during the day.

Thanks for the input guys.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Ashwat posted:

I'm familiar with Jungs but actually have never looked at their online store. I've found the one store near me to be mainly full of random garden knickknacks and not much else... Looks like their website definitely has a better selection. Thanks!

Gurneys is worth a shot too. Everything arrived as it should, when it should. As to how well they will do is all on me and the friggin cold nights that persist here. So much to plant. Asparagas, strawberries and horseradish are going in tomorrow. Tomatoes, peppers and herbs this weekend, along with the direct sow stuff.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\
I've ordered from Gurney's for a few years now, and everything has been on the up and up. Seeds, strawberry starts, my little fig tree, the blackberries, and my Carmine Jewel cherry. Everything has been good to go. I've never ordered a tree, but if you're patient, I imagine they'd do fine. (I got my apple trees last year from Lowes.)

Speaking of my apple trees, any ideas why no flowers? They didn't flower last year, but they were transplanted, and got Cedar Apple Rust and lost all their leaves for a bit. But we cut down the cedar tree on our property and got the rust under control with fungicide. By mid summer last year, they had new, healthy leaves, and came back with abundance this spring, but no flowers.

They're small, not big enough to really fruit in my opinion, so it's okay, but I'm a bit concerned/disappointed.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

kiriana posted:

Does anyone have any experience growing Stevia? I am looking for when to harvest, etc. I live in gA if that helps.

I have been reading this thread and have loved all of the advice so far!

Bush beans, Colossus Peas, sweet onions

Okra, Green Pepper, Corn along the back

Cucumbers with baby broccoli coming up behind it

Tomatoes, squash in the back

Potatoes to the left, tomatoes to the right

resized
Those type of wire tomato cages pretty much suck, FYI. You really need something with twice the diameter and more levels of horizontal bracing to tie up your branches if your tomatoes start doing well. In my experience wire frames will not really support a laden branch, the branches tend to end up bending downward and possibly snapping off entirely. If you cut your tomatoes back to essentially the same size as that frame then it'll do a good job, but your tomato plants will be teeny - my tomato plants have easily reached 30" across and 3 feet or taller, for the last couple seasons.

The tomatoes look pretty crowded, you'll need to aggressively prune them as they grow, to make sure there's enough airflow when they start to fruit. And it appears that you planted squash like 20 inches away from a row of tomato plants? Squash leaves are enormous and they may end up fighting the tomatoes for room, they're also prone to powdery mildew which seems like something that might transfer to a tomato plant via direct contact - although I don't know if tomatoes are somehow magically immune.

And corn, well, if you don't dedicate an entire bed to corn, it's just a waste of time. Corn needs a pretty good-sized "colony" to pollinate itself effectively and produce well, I think I recall hearing that you want like 100 sq feet or so, at the least?

The cucumbers shouldn't crowd the broccoli if you train them away, but they could grab on and cover/strangle them if you leave them unattended so keep an eye out.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 16, 2014

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

AlistairCookie posted:

/\/\
I've ordered from Gurney's for a few years now, and everything has been on the up and up. Seeds, strawberry starts, my little fig tree, the blackberries, and my Carmine Jewel cherry. Everything has been good to go. I've never ordered a tree, but if you're patient, I imagine they'd do fine. (I got my apple trees last year from Lowes.)

Speaking of my apple trees, any ideas why no flowers? They didn't flower last year, but they were transplanted, and got Cedar Apple Rust and lost all their leaves for a bit. But we cut down the cedar tree on our property and got the rust under control with fungicide. By mid summer last year, they had new, healthy leaves, and came back with abundance this spring, but no flowers.

They're small, not big enough to really fruit in my opinion, so it's okay, but I'm a bit concerned/disappointed.

Apple trees put energy into making fruit buds the previous year, so it's possible that losing all the leaves meant there was no energy for that.

What usually happens is they don't get thinned and there are too many fruits formed. The tree puts all the energy into the fruits and none into fruit buds for next year. The next year all the energy goes into fruit buds for the following year since there are no fruits for this year. This cycle just keeps reinforcing itself and you get biennial bearing. Some trees are worse for it than other but the lesson is: thin your apples!

With young trees it's recommended to remove all the blossoms for the first 2-3 years so that they have more energy to put into developing the root system.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\
That makes sense, thanks. I was expecting to have to pinch flowers, and just got a little concerned that their weren't any. If they prep for next year's budding the previous year, then it's no surprise they didn't flower. There was a solid two months of "oh gently caress" they went through last year. I'm happy enough they're really healthy and good looking now, and hopefully that will make for a handful of apples next year. I give them fruit tree fertilizer spikes in the spring and fall, and do the fungicide every other weekend, per the instructions from my local botanical garden's plant doctors. (The dwarf Fuji and HoneyCrisp I got were also supposed to be rust resistant, but the plant doctor guy just laughed at that and said that there really are only a couple varieties that truly are. Live and learn.)

The importance of thinning cannot be overstated. There's some sort of pear tree I pass by in the neighborhood when I walk that was just covered, and I mean covered, with little silver dollar sized fruit all season last year. Each time I'd walk pass, I'd hope the next time I saw the tree someone would have thinned that poo poo out. Nope. So someone got two hundred tiny-assed pears for their harvest.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

coyo7e posted:

The tomatoes look pretty crowded, you'll need to aggressively prune them as they grow, to make sure there's enough airflow when they start to fruit.

This a thousand times. I forget who, but some wise person in this thread a month or two back was advocating heavy pruning of any internal leaf that isn't actually getting light, and holy poo poo. Take this advice, take this advice seriously. I'm still a worthless beginner, but my plants are so frigging happy after aggressive pruning.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Same Great Paste posted:

This a thousand times. I forget who, but some wise person in this thread a month or two back was advocating heavy pruning of any internal leaf that isn't actually getting light, and holy poo poo. Take this advice, take this advice seriously. I'm still a worthless beginner, but my plants are so frigging happy after aggressive pruning.

Pruning in general owns. I pruned the poo poo out of a vine we've had inside for a couple of years now, and later that night the wife saw it and exclaimed "whatever you did to that vine it sure looks great! good job!" which obviously was drat satisfying after spending way too long unweaving the mess it was.

Weather wise JUST when I think it's all good and finally get my peppers and sunflowers outside, it drops into the 40s and rains for a week straight. My tomatoes are loving it but man everything else is begging for the rain to stop. Don't even get me started on my Vietnam of a lawn at the moment.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

coyo7e posted:

And corn, well, if you don't dedicate an entire bed to corn, it's just a waste of time. Corn needs a pretty good-sized "colony" to pollinate itself effectively and produce well, I think I recall hearing that you want like 100 sq feet or so, at the least?

Corn will produce fine even as a single plant; the real reason to plant larger quantities (and in blocks or circles/spirals rather than rows) is that whole "pollinate itself" bit. With a smaller stand, you can always hand-pollinate if necessary. The typical recommendation I've seen for a hands-off bed is more in the neighborhood of 20-30 square feet.

At a 12" spacing—unusually wide for many varieties—100 square feet planted together will likely be 100 stalks maturing together, which with good pollination is going to be 80-150 ears going overripe within the space of a few days. That's "I hope you really like zucchini" territory.

YMMV if you have Bt-resistant pests or get literally no wind.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 16, 2014

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

What the gently caress is up with loving pigeons eating the loving leaves off my loving pepper plants?

For gently caress's sake, gently caress the gently caress off already, loving rats! gently caress! Plenty of leaves anywhere else, dipshits.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
You can buy plastic bird netting for pretty much nothing and just sling it over the top of the plants. Works a treat for my parents' blueberries and strawberries. Something like this (that's just the first google result that wasn't a bulk purchase, not recommending it in particular).

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

AlistairCookie posted:

The importance of thinning cannot be overstated. There's some sort of pear tree I pass by in the neighborhood when I walk that was just covered, and I mean covered, with little silver dollar sized fruit all season last year. Each time I'd walk pass, I'd hope the next time I saw the tree someone would have thinned that poo poo out. Nope. So someone got two hundred tiny-assed pears for their harvest.

How old does the tree look? I think pears are a little different to apples in that respect. I've read that they are always very vigorous and set a lot of fruit but tend to have smaller and harder fruit as they age, like 20+ years. I've got a huge d'anjou tree in my orchard but I'm not sure how old it is. I think the fruit is just starting to get a little smaller and harder than it should, so maybe ~30-40 years old. The main orchard was planted about 40 years ago.

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
/\/\
I remember when they were planting it...maybe three years ago now? It's not that much bigger, trunk diameter wise, than my apple trees. I don't really know anything about pears though; I dislike them and have zero desire to grow them. (I know, pears are supposed to be wonderful, I'm a heretic.)

I would have swooned at the chance to buy a house with an established orchard. In 35 or so years, when the kids pack our asses off to a retirement community, (or we pack ourselves off to Boca), my sincere hope is that a young couple sees our mature yard and falls in love with it. That someone else can continue to reap what what we've sown. :3:

Flipperwaldt posted:

What the gently caress is up with loving pigeons eating the loving leaves off my loving pepper plants?

For gently caress's sake, gently caress the gently caress off already, loving rats! gently caress! Plenty of leaves anywhere else, dipshits.

:stare: Pigeons do what?! Pigeons?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Flipperwaldt posted:

I haven't had trouble with birds going after my peppers, but holy poo poo they love okra seedlings. Last year I lost a half dozen or so to birds just biting the stem off. And then leaving it. I built a chicken wire cage-thing to contain the seedlings while I was hardening them off, and ended up watching as a bird swooped down to poke its beak through the chicken wire to snap off one stem that was too close to the wire.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

AlistairCookie posted:

:stare: Pigeons do what?! Pigeons?
Exactly my initial response. Don't these monsters eat, I dunno, seeds and worms and poo poo? Didn't touch tomatoes, carrots, peas anything. Put the peppers outside; bam! Snacktime. Half of their leaves gone in a couple of hours.

SubG posted:

I haven't had trouble with birds going after my peppers, but holy poo poo they love okra seedlings. Last year I lost a half dozen or so to birds just biting the stem off. And then leaving it. I built a chicken wire cage-thing to contain the seedlings while I was hardening them off, and ended up watching as a bird swooped down to poke its beak through the chicken wire to snap off one stem that was too close to the wire.
:negative: I actually have chicken wire cages but I put them in the basement already because this weren't seedlings that could be mistaken for worms or anything, but five to six inch plants.

Well, they're caged now.

TerryLennox
Oct 12, 2009

There is nothing tougher than a tough Mexican, just as there is nothing gentler than a gentle Mexican, nothing more honest than an honest Mexican, and above all nothing sadder than a sad Mexican. -R. Chandler.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Exactly my initial response. Don't these monsters eat, I dunno, seeds and worms and poo poo? Didn't touch tomatoes, carrots, peas anything. Put the peppers outside; bam! Snacktime. Half of their leaves gone in a couple of hours.
:negative: I actually have chicken wire cages but I put them in the basement already because this weren't seedlings that could be mistaken for worms or anything, but five to six inch plants.

Well, they're caged now.

Pigeons are air rats. They will eat scraps, insects, bologna and whichever they can get their fat, feathery asses to.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Same Great Paste posted:

Mine are happy as hell to the point that it is really tough to keep up with pruning them back! I need to whack them again.

How many main vines are acceptable on an indeterminate heirloom plant? They just keep adding so many more and I keep missing them until they are so large I'm unsure about cutting them. I think both plants have four active vines now, but I could easily whittle that down to two.

Here's the current tomato status (click for giant)
Black Krim:

Cherokee Purple:

Potatoes are making potatoes while the squash go bonkers:

I was concerned about my cumbers for a while with the little spots showing up but they are growing like weeds now so I think they were just from physical damage from our windstorms:

Jalapenos!

Cayenne!

blueberries getting blue!

So exciting!

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Welp, one of my passion fruits has already sprouted, which means I'll probably have a higher germ rate than I anticipated. Guess I'll have force my friends to take some seedlings! Planted like 20 seeds.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

BEHOLD!
Deer fencing!

And wire rabbit fencing!

The fence goes down under the soil, but we haven't shoveled the soil back in place yet. Total dimensions are about 27x17'ish.

The soil also isn't that light, the pictures are pretty washed out on my camera.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
A six foot fence? That won't stop deer without a roof in my experience, if there's enough room for them to land safely. :(

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I could have also put a robot drone back there that shoots lasers at them, true.

edit: vvvvvv

I'm aware of what deer are capable of.
I'm aware of what full on deer fencing looks like and needs to be effective.
I live in an area with low to moderate deer pressure, near farm fields and other sources of food (neighbors with no fences on their gardens, for example). Additionally, the fence needed to be non-permanent, given that the garden size is still in flux for future years.

Given this state of affairs, we opted for the smaller, less intrusive fence as a way to prevent access to the garden.

I'm not 'taking it out on you', your comments make me sound naive though, so thanks.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 17, 2014

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Deer generally don't give a gently caress about fences unless they either can't see the other side, or if there's no room for a clean landing. Sorry you feel th need to take it out on me but those posts should be 10 or 12 foot before they go into the ground, with wire strung along the top every foot or two Jurassic park style, so they'd be at least 8 feet high.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Big Beef City posted:

your comments make me sound naive though, so thanks.

Calling a 6 foot fence a deer fence is what makes you look naive. Sorry.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
Yeah! At least dig a pit and put some sharpened pikes up inside.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Jesus christ.
"Behold! 6ft tall perimeter fencing, intended to deter some of the deer I see sometimes in my yard but haven't been a detriment to my property except that I think they ate some buds off one of my apple trees after a hard winter!"

Is everyone satisfied?

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 18, 2014

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Personally, by and large I am OK with deer nibbling every so often. Beyond the rare instance where a deer did damage (my poor young sour cherry tree :smith: ) I am OK with a tomato or two getting munched. The way I see it is the deer are not swarming like locusts, and it is way cheaper to plant a little more to cover pilfering, than to put cash into berlin walls to keep them out.

Going to have to read up on the fruit tree thinning. (read: pruned this winter) Last year we had pears on our asian (about 3" dia trunk and 9' tall) which only got to said silver dollar size. All our apples and both pears bloomed nicely this spring, so I guess I wait to see fruit beginning and pluck them out at that point? Our bartlet flowered a bunch last year but the fruits just barely began before giving up and shriveling. May snip off all attempts at fruit this year on that one to give the roots more help.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
:dance: unda da ground! :dance:

Seedling starts:
- Cherry Tomatos
- Roma Tomatos
- Jalepenos
- Mini Bells
- Poblano/anchos
- Garlic
- Pineapple Sage
- Rosemary
- Sweet Majoram
- Strawberries

Roots:
- Garlic
- Horseradish
- Icicle Radishes
- Asparagus

Direct Sow:
- String Beans
- Beefsteak Tomato
- Artesian Cukes
- Some other whacky Cukes
- Space Ship Summer Squash (cannot recall the name)
- Long Squash (kind of like zukes)

Going to check out walmart this afternoon for ideas of the last raised row. Something tall to go between the cukes and zukes rows.

Our raspberries I planted last year were struggling (stalk buds didn't want to break) but I noticed lots of leaves at the base. Clipped off the long stalks to encourage the low growth, then noticed that there are no less than 9 new rasps poking up through the ground near it. No idea if these were from the seeds of last years dropped fruits or do raspberry roots give off suckers?

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 18, 2014

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

I've found that the best determent for deer and rabbits in a garden is a little dog who thinks she's a lot bigger than she really is.

Unfortunately, it also means I've found random things buried in my garden like a half rotted dinner roll and what appears to be the hip bone to... something.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

ashez2ashes posted:

like a half rotted dinner roll and what appears to be the hip bone to... something.

Sounds like my wife's cooking! :rimshot:

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Big Beef City posted:

Is everyone satisfied?

Absolutely not. You need a deer head on a pike adorning the fence to make it a proper deer fence.

loving rookies.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

If you live in a place where deer can ruin your garden and you don't have a rifle and just murder those fuckers every time you see one in your yard well :mad:

You're forgiven if doing that is illegal, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Is there a good non-toxic spray for killing aphids? I found some, I isolated the pot but then found more in another. I don't want to spray insecticide on herbs.