Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nanomachines
Dec 7, 2011

That was somehow both the most ominous and most hilarious thing I've ever listened to. And Kevin's reaction to being asked if Lauren could call him "Kev" was perfect.

This show is getting better and better. The last few months of episodes have been phenomenal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It's nice that Strex are into children's programming!

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

maxnmona posted:

Kevin R Free is a sweetheart.

I'm sure he is. All the cast seem totally awesome. I'm really looking forward to doing a meet and greet July 14th even if Kevin isn't in "The Librarian"

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?
So I went to the gym today and I was like, "Hey, New night vale. Maybe I will listen to it on the treadmill. But the tone is so relaxed, Will this really energize me?"

....I ran HARD. I could not have dreamed more effective motivation than bashing in Kevin's stupid eyeless face hearing him instead of my beloved Cecil. Holy mother of gently caress.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
The Greater Desert Bluffs Metropolitan Area.

Night Vale doesn't exist anymore. All of those characters we've heard about for the past two years are either in jail, a work camp, or lost in a strange desert.

Strexcorp won. :smithicide:

Wraithson
Sep 8, 2011
Whats up with the link to the Austin TX show? It doesn't seem to work.

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

Wandering Knitter posted:

Night Vale doesn't exist anymore. All of those characters we've heard about for the past two years are either in jail, a work camp, or lost in a strange desert.

Strexcorp won. :smithicide:

gently caress NO.
Carlos is still out there man he is going to talk to Dana and he's going to take the town back, possibly with the help of the masked army, and Khoshekh is still our eyes and ears and claws on the inside.

Don't you DARE give up on this town.

bettsta
Jul 21, 2008
Just a hunch/question I had about the latest episode: does anything happen if you speed up the deep rumbling sound? Or maybe speed it up and play it backwards?

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I am very upset about the Shauns. Or the Seans. Or the Shawns. To be honest, I had always imagined them as three guys named Shaun, Sean, Shawn. Those precious angels. :(

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

KentuckyFriedBonBon posted:

To be honest, I had always imagined them as three guys named Shaun, Sean, Shawn.

So like Tony! Toni! Toné! ?

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

So I went to the gym today and I was like, "Hey, New night vale. Maybe I will listen to it on the treadmill. But the tone is so relaxed, Will this really energize me?"

....I ran HARD. I could not have dreamed more effective motivation than bashing in Kevin's stupid eyeless face hearing him instead of my beloved Cecil. Holy mother of gently caress.

So what you're saying is that your productivity increased by listening to Kevin? :aaa:

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

Woot. Tickets for Toronto bought! :D

jazz babies fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 16, 2014

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Got my ticket for Minneapolis. Hell yeah.

nanomachines
Dec 7, 2011

got my tickets for the Toronto show!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Looks like I have a pair of tickets I can't use to the early second anniversary show in NYC. Anyone want 'em? Face value.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
I haven't even listened to either of Kevin's episodes yet, but last night I dreamed I was being pursued through a city by an eyeless man who, despite his human form and charming demeanor, came off as completely inhuman. The dream even called him Kevin Free, a callback to the 'his name is Cecil Baldwin' days. If just KNOWING about it gave me a weird dream... that's it I'm listening through the full loving catalog.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

BiggerJ posted:

I haven't even listened to either of Kevin's episodes yet, but last night I dreamed I was being pursued through a city by an eyeless man who, despite his human form and charming demeanor, came off as completely inhuman. The dream even called him Kevin Free, a callback to the 'his name is Cecil Baldwin' days. If just KNOWING about it gave me a weird dream... that's it I'm listening through the full loving catalog.

That just means our Strexcorp Dream Management Team is working to make sure you reach full productivity, you wonderful citizen, you.

Who needs sleep that takes away from a smiling god?:sun:

Strexcorp.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

maxnmona posted:

I'm pretty sure some people from the start have been convinced (or kept vocally hoping) that we're secretly an ARG. (We're not. We definitely wouldn't have time to organize that, what with like, books and live shows to write.)

That's exactly what you'd say if it WERE an ARG!

Dimloep
Nov 5, 2011
This is more or less what I was expecting, based on the end of the previous episode :stare: Oh, Carlos, I'm so glad you're safe. For now.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
I really shouldn't have listened to this newest episode while I was driving. I didn't hit anyone or anything, but geez.

And that bit about the Shawns and that dragging sound creeped me out.

What did they do with poor Cecil?:ohdear:

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Any news yet on whether the SDCC live show will be open to non-attendees? It seems like most of the convention shows have been technically separate from the convention itself, but I don't want to get my hopes up unnecessarily.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
San Diego show will not be connected to the convention. Anyone can go.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
If you need a little Cecil in your life after missing him in Night Vale, the episode of The Thrilling Adventure Hour which he guest starred in back in October was released today.

The episode he guest starred in has been their touring episode of Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars for the last half a year or so, so it was performed and recorded several times. The TAH creators decided to release all 4 variants of the episode today. Cecil guest stars in Variant B. The episode is called "Emperor on Mars".

You can listen on Soundcloud here, or just search for Thrilling Adventure Hour in your podcast app.

The background that you need to know is that Sparks Nevada (Marc Evan Jackson, who played Marcus Vanston in The Debate) is the Marshal on Mars in the year 3014 or so. Croach the Tracker (Mark Gagliardi, who played John Peters, You Know, the Farmer? and did the ad in The Debate) is Croach the Tracker, his Martian companion who isn't supposed to have emotions but has been developing them as of late. Everything else I think you can pick up pretty easy in the episode. We have a Thrilling Adventure Hour thread if you'd like more information. :)

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Hey, over the last few weeks I have been listening to this, and I love it. I just finished episode 30, Dana. I bought the two live episodes, Condos and The Debate. I was just wondering what order should I listen to these in? Online I have a found a few ideas where they should go (one said they should be 31.5 and 32.5, one said 35.5 & 37.5, and one said 40.5 & 45.5). Or does it not really matter?

Thanks!

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Fritzler posted:

Hey, over the last few weeks I have been listening to this, and I love it. I just finished episode 30, Dana. I bought the two live episodes, Condos and The Debate. I was just wondering what order should I listen to these in? Online I have a found a few ideas where they should go (one said they should be 31.5 and 32.5, one said 35.5 & 37.5, and one said 40.5 & 45.5). Or does it not really matter?

Thanks!

Given that time is an illusion, and none of the clocks are real, it doesn't really matter (but you can't go wrong with waiting for their official release date and listening to them after the closest episode)

The live shows don't have an official number in canon since they needed to be both entertaining for non-fans and not required for anyone who couldn't afford to drop a few bucks down on them. They do reference things that happened in the past (for example, it would be a bad idea to listen to condos before the 2 candidates for mayoral election are revealed, and the debate should be listened to after, I think, yellow helicopters, but there might be some stuff with tamika mentioned that I don't recall. You should listen to the debate before Parade Day though.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.
Condos probably goes when it was released, between 40 and 41, because in 42 Cecil mentions the condos disappeared a few weeks ago. The Debate can probably go anywhere between The Auction (when Marcus Vanston entered the race) and Parade Day.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

OK, thanks guys! I am going to listen to condos between 40 and 41, and I Am going to listen to The Debate right after The Auction (so between 37 & 38). I'll be back in a few weeks when I catch up, but first: RIP Apache Tracker (my favorite character).

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

I'm re-listening to A Blinking Light Up on a Mountain and making connections that I'm surprised I hadn't earlier.
The growly sound? The Smiling God
Unfortunately, that means that the masked army, same as the one Dana is hanging with, won't help, but move right through. The question is, to where? Desert Bluffs? What happened to them?

I guess this is kind of obvious but I'm very stupid.

Action Yak fucked around with this message at 08:27 on May 20, 2014

dj_clawson
Jan 12, 2004

We are all sinners in the eyes of these popsicle sticks.

Action Yak Police posted:

Unfortunately, that means that the masked army, same as the one Dana is hanging with, won't help, but move right through. The question is, to where? Desert Bluffs? What happened to them?

My interpretation is that the women who speaks to the masked army is not Dana but the character from 'A Story About You.'

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
^ I just think it's a reference to themes from Steven King's "The Dark Tower". Certain phrases and themes repeat themselves through the books and Fate is cyclical and amoral. http://stephenking.wikia.com/wiki/Ka

For example in Night Vale: In one episode, Buddy Holly says 'I cannot breathe, I cannot feel' which is then repeated by the Computer in "A Beautiful Dream"

I don't think the computer is possessed by Buddy Holly, but anything's possible in Night Vale.

Possible and terrible

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

dragon_pamcake posted:

^ I just think it's a reference to themes from Steven King's "The Dark Tower". Certain phrases and themes repeat themselves through the books and Fate is cyclical and amoral. http://stephenking.wikia.com/wiki/Ka

For example in Night Vale: In one episode, Buddy Holly says 'I cannot breathe, I cannot feel' which is then repeated by the Computer in "A Beautiful Dream"

I don't think the computer is possessed by Buddy Holly, but anything's possible in Night Vale.

Possible and terrible
poo poo, I should really start reading that series. I've been avoiding it since Stephen King usually has real trouble with endings but he's got a second guy on board so maybe he'll fix that problem?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hey yall I have a new Disparition album out on Friday. Kind of a new direction. Here are a couple preview tracks to check out

https://soundcloud.com/disparition/analog
https://soundcloud.com/disparition/song-for-the-other-side

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Action Yak Police posted:

poo poo, I should really start reading that series. I've been avoiding it since Stephen King usually has real trouble with endings but he's got a second guy on board so maybe he'll fix that problem?

If you're looking for a good ending, The Dark Tower is not something you should read.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

TheJoker138 posted:

If you're looking for a good ending, The Dark Tower is not something you should read.

...I disagree.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

JohnnyCanuck posted:

...I disagree.

You're one of the few. Didn't King add a forward to newer editions of the book acknowledging that a vast majority of people hated it?

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
"Daffy Duck Ex Machina"

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

TheJoker138 posted:

You're one of the few. Didn't King add a forward to newer editions of the book acknowledging that a vast majority of people hated it?
I'm not sure about a new forward, but he hid the "real ending" behind a "if you like traditional endings, stop reading here" page.

I feel that "real ending" was the only possible way he could have ended it, too.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
I don't have a problem with the "real ending." I thought it was perfect. I thought the climactic final battle was something straight out of goddamn Looney Tunes.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

TheJoker138 posted:

Stop after The Wastelands and make up the rest of the journey yourself. The rest of the series just isn't the same.

I don't want to derail the Night Vale thread, but here's my tl;dr of of the series.

The Gunslinger: Old and rough Steven King at his drug-addled best. As needlessly violent as The Long Walk, Carrie, and Firestarter.
The Drawing of the Three: Really has a bizarre sense of mysticism that Night Vale draws inspiration from. Lobsters are loving terrifying.
The Wastelands: The BEST book in the series because all the characters have come into their own. As soon as they reach Lud, I can't put it down until I finish.
Wizard and Glass: Should have been an aside book. Steven King should not write romance. Pop culture references lose all subtlety.
Wolves of the Calla: A pretty good homage to the Magnificent Seven. Father Callahan's story derails the plot and should have been a separate book.
Song of Susannah: This is considered the worst book in the series for drat good reason. Steven King can't write women OR minorities. Poor Susannah indeed.
The Dark Tower: I'd say it's almost as good as Drawing of the Three. The ending was fine even if it contradicted the previous three books' rule about time.

Steven King deliberately broke every rule of writing (no self-insertion, no deux ex machinas, no self-references) and he's not a good enough writer to pull it off. The man needs a strict editor to trim his page count. Books four through seven are bloated as hell and suffer bad pacing.

Edit: gently caress I forgot about stupid Patrick Danville. The last book is worse than I remembered.

tom bob-ombadil fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Yeah, let's take it to the King thread.