Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I almost got it with Brimstone, and it was too fun to use for me to restart that run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

http://bindingofisaac.com/post/84892772304/its-growing

New addition: HUGE ROOMS

"so something i wanted to do in isaac that we couldnt do mostly do to flash “sprites on sceen” limitations were large rooms and large mobs.

the 1st thing i talked to tyrone about when listing out my dream additions for rebirth was larger room sizes… and last week that became a reality. "

"i'm still experimenting with what can be done with larger rooms.. but boy does it change things a bit. larger room types are of course more rare than small ones, the rarest being 4x4 rooms with larger mobs like this…"

theres also a youtube video of the worlds most OP isaac combination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0nSY44wew8

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Hell fuckin' yeah! These past few updates have shown an immense amount of polish. Here's to hoping the release isn't too far off.

:stare: Mother of god.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Pixeltendo posted:

theres also a youtube video of the worlds most OP isaac combination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0nSY44wew8

So the new Isaac presents a new challenge: making sure your collection of items doesn't instantly kill you.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

HellCopter posted:

So the new Isaac presents a new challenge: making sure your collection of items doesn't instantly kill you.

No, that's the old Isaac too. Dr. Fetus, Epic Fetus, etc.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

In that new video do you think the secret room door staying open when he left it was intentional? It would be nice to not have to bomb twice if you want to visit the secret room a second time.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

HellCopter posted:

A couple weeks ago I had this happen in BoI with Ipecac and Three Dollar Bill. Saved the run by picking up Brimstone.

Escape Car 3000
Oct 12, 2008

RedRupee posted:

In that new video do you think the secret room door staying open when he left it was intentional? It would be nice to not have to bomb twice if you want to visit the secret room a second time.

I think this was how it used to be before before WotL came out. I remember thinking that the closing secret rooms were a bug and that it was going to get fixed but it never did so I'm not sure if it was intentional or not.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

It's turning into Zelda 3 to BoI's Zelda 1

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

Here's hoping for unique boss room designs.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Between Isaac slowing down and the inward-sucking lines around the purple Champion, anyone think that those enemies might have a sort of gravitational pull effect? It'd certainly make that type of champion more threatening than the standard "run at you" pattern they normally have.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I hope there are more obstacles in rooms that form the layout other than a hole, a rock, spikes or fire. Even if they are just cosmetic and don't actually do anything.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

drunken officeparty posted:

I hope there are more obstacles in rooms that form the layout other than a hole, a rock, spikes or fire. Even if they are just cosmetic and don't actually do anything.

I'm hoping there is some sort of endless survival mode where enemy stats just keep ramping up each floor in order to really stress test some of these WMD item combinations.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

New Blog post http://bindingofisaac.com/post/85597605034/picking-up-where-we-left-off

New Pick-up Items!

and some Item combos with the Ludicovo

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

:allears:

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The two keys thing kind of already exists in that it just spits out two keys. It should be 3 or something.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

drunken officeparty posted:

The two keys thing kind of already exists in that it just spits out two keys. It should be 3 or something.

But each of those keys could become 2keys! Just like each bomb has a chance of being 2bombs!

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
It's the "1+1 Free" of key drops.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
To be fair Edmund's post does say this as well:

quote:

Key Ring: 2 keys… but actually part of something else…

:raise:

This game is looking so, so good.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
God drat those latest gifs.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Sometimes you spend dozens of attempts at a Samson run and are ready to uninstall for good, and then the game hands you a Habit, Battery, Book of Rev, Brimstone, and a full Meat Boy and you become a blue hearted tank that shoots lasers with a meaty familiar.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Woo, finally beat this game. But I had to get Maggy and the Habit to do so. Is having some overpowered synergy like that the only way to win? I enjoy the hell out of playing, but it seems like the only way to win is to get a crazy awesome set of items.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

Woo, finally beat this game. But I had to get Maggy and the Habit to do so. Is having some overpowered synergy like that the only way to win? I enjoy the hell out of playing, but it seems like the only way to win is to get a crazy awesome set of items.

Not at all. It gets much easier as you get better at it, though at first it may seem like it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I think if I were to rebalance it, I would make three changes. The shops should result be free to enter, no key involved, and coins should spawn at the end of every enounter, and the shops should have more poo poo for sale. I think if the game just had these minor twerks, it would be a lot more like FTL, where if you make the right choices, you can win about half the time.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Just curious, when you say "beat the game", which boss did you beat?

Also, if coins spawned at the end of every encounter and the shop didn't require a key, you would basically be getting a shop item on every floor. I assume you mean on top of the normal drops rather than instead of.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ariong posted:

Just curious, when you say "beat the game", which boss did you beat?

Also, if coins spawned at the end of every encounter and the shop didn't require a key, you would basically be getting a shop item on every floor. I assume you mean on top of the normal drops rather than instead of.

Oh, I beat Mom. Is there another "final boss"?

Yeah, that's about what I mean on the coin drops. Each room would lead to a coin drop in addition to the normal drops. I don't think this would lead to an item's worth of coins per floor, but you'd get 8 or 9 per early floors and 10-12 for late floors.

I know it seems like that would lead to the player being able to buy out the shop every time, but my conception of the shop is that it would have a lot more to offer, and the player would actually have to choose which trinket/passive/active to buy.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

PostNouveau posted:

Oh boy is there ever.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
I'd say you're about a tenth of the way through the game, mate. Mom is nothing. Everything is Terrible is where the game first starts to open up.

Carsius
May 7, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

Beat mom again and find out!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
drat, seriously? I've played 20 drat hours, and you're telling me there's a harder boss? I had to use the Habit+Yum Heart to do it!

I think my main beef with the game is that I don't feel like I'm making strategic choices. I just have to take what the game gives me, and maybe I get really lucky and the game gives me the tools necessary to win.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

PostNouveau posted:

drat, seriously? I've played 20 drat hours, and you're telling me there's a harder boss? I had to use the Habit+Yum Heart to do it!

I think my main beef with the game is that I don't feel like I'm making strategic choices. I just have to take what the game gives me, and maybe I get really lucky and the game gives me the tools necessary to win.

There's 'a' harder boss, hahahaha

Pidmon wasn't kidding when he said you're 10% through the game's content. As you figure out ways to use the existing items and unlock new ones, the game will fix the issue of strategic decision-making by itself.

MrBims fucked around with this message at 10:27 on May 17, 2014

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Once you get to a point where you're not just taking cheap/dumb damage from normal rooms on the way to the boss, it's pretty hard to not have at least a decent run because you're bound to run into enough items that you'll get at least a somewhat decent combination. You'll still have runs where the first 7 items you see are either bad or have 0 synergy with each other, but most of the time you'll at least get enough damage or fire rate upgrades to get you past Mom's Heart. And then once you really know how the game works and get a little lucky, you can spend an hour setting things up and rerolling dozens of items until you have exactly what you want and can two-shot every boss in the game.

But yeah, getting better at the game really snowballs because having more health will lead you to being able to take more devil deals and enter more special rooms, you'll clear more rooms/floors which will give you more keys/bombs/coins, which in turn let you get into more item rooms/stores/secret rooms, etc etc etc.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

You beat the first 'final' boss out of many, congrats.

I found it helpful to watch Xaiter's LP of the game. Maybe that's something you want to do now.

Also, if you have the DLC, find the tool to disable it and play the game without it for a while. The DLC makes things a lot harder.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

VDay posted:

Once you get to a point where you're not just taking cheap/dumb damage from normal rooms on the way to the boss, it's pretty hard to not have at least a decent run because you're bound to run into enough items that you'll get at least a somewhat decent combination. You'll still have runs where the first 7 items you see are either bad or have 0 synergy with each other, but most of the time you'll at least get enough damage or fire rate upgrades to get you past Mom's Heart. And then once you really know how the game works and get a little lucky, you can spend an hour setting things up and rerolling dozens of items until you have exactly what you want and can two-shot every boss in the game.

But yeah, getting better at the game really snowballs because having more health will lead you to being able to take more devil deals and enter more special rooms, you'll clear more rooms/floors which will give you more keys/bombs/coins, which in turn let you get into more item rooms/stores/secret rooms, etc etc etc.

drat, I guess I'm just not playing well enough. I've gotten to the point where I take on every sword room that comes up though; I figured that was some good progress.

Maybe I am not using the right strategy. I try to play as defensively as possible, because hearts seem hard to come by. So if I hit a hard room, I spend most of my time focusing on dodging fire.

Should I gamble everything on the slot machines? I have a hard time choosing what to do with them, because they can pay out pretty well, but I can't pick what that payout is.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

My strategy concerning money is to keep it until I've explored the map. Then, good items in shops are a priority. So are beggars: they tend to have a very good payout. Third are slot machines. If there's a blood donation machine, make sure to convert any extra heart drops in the level into money, which you can use on the slots. And if you get lucky you'll get a HP upgrade from it too.

Also remember that arcades will ONLY spawn on even-numbered floors and ONLY when you have at least 5 coins. So it may be a good strategy to hold on to five coins if you can spare them.

And another thing I found out the hard way: Once the arcade's shell game spawns Skatole and disappears, any subsequent shell games will only give you money/keys/bombs/hearts and they will never disappear. So don't keep playing them hoping for a good price, it won't come.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

PostNouveau posted:

The tools necessary? Lemons into lemonade, my friend.

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

I feel dumb. Who is inside the mask?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

a!n posted:

http://bindingofisaac.wikia.com/wiki/Mask_of_Infamy

The wiki says the face is unknown. :iiam:

Carsius
May 7, 2013

a!n posted:

Dr. Fetus, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Nah, the thing inside the mask is female and not living according to the wiki. Edmund might just be trolling us though.

• Locked thread