Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Fucknag posted:

I dunno, as bad as Lucas anything is, anything GM from about 1974-1996 (whenever the LS came out) is bad enough that I think anyone should be able to join in the fun.

vv Those ones are so bad, I don't think I've ever seen one on the road. :v: vv

Yeah but Mike's big phrase was "typical American electrics", like it was at all typical of even GM (much less ALL American vehicles). Lucas made utter poo poo for decades so he can shut the gently caress up about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Pham Nuwen posted:

Terrible car stuff: the interior of a modern Mini.

My sister had a 04 VW bug until she totaled it a few months ago. Easily, easily, the worst interior I have ever seen. On top of that, the entire car was a complete pile of poo poo.

It was just an embarrassingly bad car and VW should be loving ashamed those made it to production.

Thankfully its totaled now and is where it belongs; in a junkyard.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
In celebration of my buying a beater Civic, here's another terrible Civic!

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Pham Nuwen posted:

It was a fun car to drive, and it looks fine from the outside, but ye gods the inside.

Holy christ, he says he likes it: http://www.topgear.com/uk/jeremy-clarkson/clarkson-mini-copper-s-2002-01-08 and yes, the 2002 version looks pretty much identical inside. Ah well, I don't really expect the man to have good car opinions, he mostly seems to make it up based on 1) Manufacturer name, 2) Country of origin, or 3) Contradicting what everyone expects him to say.

And ultimately, 4) Is it or is it not an Aston Martin.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Pham Nuwen posted:

It was a fun car to drive, and it looks fine from the outside, but ye gods the inside.

Holy christ, he says he likes it: http://www.topgear.com/uk/jeremy-clarkson/clarkson-mini-copper-s-2002-01-08 and yes, the 2002 version looks pretty much identical inside. Ah well, I don't really expect the man to have good car opinions, he mostly seems to make it up based on 1) Manufacturer name, 2) Country of origin, or 3) Contradicting what everyone expects him to say.

Clarkson constantly loves German cars, especially VWs, for being "reliable" and "long lasting". However VWs usually are the direct opposite of that, especially with the DSG gearbox

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Clarkson has never had to actually 'own' a car since the late 80's.

edit: I drove a MkV golf R32 today with the dsg and it made me realise that they must come across as absolutely fantastic cars when they're brand new.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 11:16 on May 19, 2014

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Fucknag posted:

Those ones are so bad, I don't think I've ever seen one on the road. :v:

Nice.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Rhyno posted:

In celebration of my buying a beater Civic, here's another terrible Civic!

Honestly, aside from the body kit, I don't see much wrong with it. Throw a milder body kit on (or stock Si bumpers/side skirts - EX would work too, but doesn't look quite as good IMO) and I'd drive it all day long.

I'd prefer smaller wheels, but they actually match the car decently. And it's either a genuine EX or Si (judging by the sunroof), so it actually has some VEEETAKS under the hood. I don't think the Si was offered in white, so it's probably an EX. No telling what's actually under the hood, of course, but one would hope they stuck with the 90s VTEC theme.

The front bumper needs to die in a fire though.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:28 on May 19, 2014

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nice wheels you've got there bro, on your TDI Octavia!

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Pham Nuwen posted:

Terrible car stuff: the interior of a modern Mini. I drove a Cooper S yesterday and while I found the seat decent and the drivability fine, it was full of awful plastic. It looked like this except LHD:

All that silver plastic? It's like the cheapest looking/feeling poo poo you've ever seen. I enjoyed *driving* it, but I didn't enjoy looking at the interior which was reminiscent of cheap Chinese toys. Everything creaked if you touched it, in that cheap plastic way.

Next time I see Clarkson tapping around an American car and complaining about how cheap/poo poo it feels, I'm going to have a hard time not yelling at the TV. "WHAT ABOUT YOUR HALLOWED loving MINI, YOU SILLY oval office?"

Now, the toggle switches for the windows, those were kind of cool I guess.

That looks like a gen 1 mini (from before the 2nd gen came out in 2006ish.) You can tell by the console in the middle) The gen2 and 3 ones are even worse. I had a 2005 cooper S and I loved the poo poo out of it, but the ones after 2006 are even more cheap and plasticy. The gen 3 cooper S's have bigger, heavier engines and are even less fun to drive now.

EDIT:

There's also this from Reddit, a ~CUSTOM~ Trans Am:

nitrogen fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 19, 2014

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

nitrogen posted:

There's also this from Reddit, a ~CUSTOM~ Trans Am:

This looks like when that dude in Beetlejuice sticks his fingers in his nose and pulls the back of his head back

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Snowdens Secret posted:

This looks like when that dude in Beetlejuice sticks his fingers in his nose and pulls the back of his head back

I honestly thought the first one was stretched with a bad aspect ratio, but the wheels look round in it, so I dunno WTF.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I didn't know they let Takeshi Koike design cars.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

I wonder what the ease-of-parking, use of space, and personality of this is like? :v:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Will.i.am: The '80s

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

Terrible car stuff: the interior of a modern Mini. I drove a Cooper S yesterday and while I found the seat decent and the drivability fine, it was full of awful plastic. It looked like this except LHD:

The interior of the Minis is what ultimately really turns me off of them. Even more so than their bad-by-BMW-standards reliability (and I say that as an owner of a 10 y/o BMW). The exterior has aged reasonably well and I think the Cooper is still a pretty good looking small car (the bigger fatter ones not as much).

My coworker/boss has a manual gen1 Cooper and even as a non-S it's a real fun drive, but man that interior just kills me.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Guinness posted:

The interior of the Minis is what ultimately really turns me off of them. Even more so than their bad-by-BMW-standards reliability (and I say that as an owner of a 10 y/o BMW). The exterior has aged reasonably well and I think the Cooper is still a pretty good looking small car (the bigger fatter ones not as much).

My coworker/boss has a manual gen1 Cooper and even as a non-S it's a real fun drive, but man that interior just kills me.

As pointed out this is a first generation Cooper S, although I have to disagree with nitrogen's assessment that the later ones were even worse. As Mini's are so customisable a lot of it depends on how much money the person who originally ordered the car was willing to spend, as well with how much taste they had. Having parts of the dashboard and centre console not made out of silver plastic really helps as well, for example:

Both of those above are second gen Minis (first one is the Goodwood edition Cooper, the second one is my Cooper S), and I'm sure you'd agree they are both much better looking than the blue Cooper interior posted earlier. They've made the new 2014 Cooper S interior even nicer:

Anyways, enough of my sperging about good things, lets have some more notable examples from London to Brighton 2014:

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
I wish I got a pic of this as I don't think my description will be quite as good.

I ended up passing a tarted up 350z on the highway yesterday. Looked like a wide body kit, a big "wing" (I'm pretty sure it wasn't functional in any way), flat black paint, illegally dark tint, "batmobile" in autozone stick on letters below the "wing", and a chrome batman icon (looked like the batarang from the latest movies) replacing the Nissan badge on the front bumper. Clearly it attracts attention from police because it was in the right lane doing 5 under where everyone typically drives the middle lane doing 10 over.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
I didn't know this was still a thing.

A new plated MKS with landau/vinyl top. It was even worse in person.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kill-9 posted:

We had a 2013 CTS-V show up to Cars & Coffee with a landau top.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Rhyno posted:

We had a 2013 CTS-V show up to Cars & Coffee with a landau top.

Isn't that a way for dealerships to hide hail damage?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah, it's a hail play. Back in 2009 we saw a shitload of Altimas with carriage tops around NW Arkansas.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah, it's a hail play. Back in 2009 we saw a shitload of Altimas with carriage tops around NW Arkansas.

Makes sense. We had a hail storm hit that Austin a couple months ago do some damage. I'd rather drive a car with the dimples and cash in my pocket.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Kill-9 posted:

I live in Palm Springs. Every dealer, regardless of make, has vinyl top cars in their stable. Accords, 3 Series', Jettas, everything. Old people still dig the look.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

eyebeem posted:

I live in Palm Springs. Every dealer, regardless of make, has vinyl top cars in their stable. Accords, 3 Series', Jettas, everything. Old people still dig the look.

A neighbor of mine has a mid 90's Lexus with a landau roof. It's ugly, but the worst part is the "Polo Edition" on the sides that is supposed to look like the Cadillac logo from a distance.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Kill-9 posted:

Nah that's a good look.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Saw this a few months ago. Looked even worse in person.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Panty Saluter posted:

Yeah but Mike's big phrase was "typical American electrics", like it was at all typical of even GM (much less ALL American vehicles). Lucas made utter poo poo for decades so he can shut the gently caress up about that.

Yeah, he was referring mainly to the digital dash. Edd was able to swap it out with a refurb unit and everything was fine. If it had been a Lucas unit, he probably would have had to gut the car.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Even so the digital dash was just a brief detour in the American auto industry. :v:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Panty Saluter posted:

Even so the digital dash was just a brief detour in the American auto industry. :v:

I liked my 87 Audi's digital dash, shame the flexible circuit boards they used were utter poo poo.

ReptileChillock
Jan 7, 2014

by Lowtax
Kid buys Honda for $1000 off kijiji, it bursts into flames the next day. Link

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ReptileChillock posted:

Kid buys Honda for $1000 off kijiji, it bursts into flames the next day. Link

"i just bought it yesterday"

"that's totally why i don't have insurance."

The only $1000 preludes i've ever seen on kijiji were late 80s with fist sized rust holes, listed as for parts.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Shampoo posted:

Isn't that a way for dealerships to hide hail damage?

I wish that was all it was. We get roughly zero hail, here, but there's still enough of a market here for that ridiculous poo poo that I know of two places that specialize in doing soft tops. Generally also includes gold tinted badging and extra gold-chrome anti-ding trim, as well.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

MrYenko posted:

I wish that was all it was. We get roughly zero hail, here, but there's still enough of a market here for that ridiculous poo poo that I know of two places that specialize in doing soft tops. Generally also includes gold tinted badging and extra gold-chrome anti-ding trim, as well.

Worst inappropriate vinyl top I ever saw was on a Volvo 850 sedan. It even had a cutout for the sunroof.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I saw this today and was just amazed.

The blue LEDs on the tips were matched up with the brake lights, and there were also red LEDs in there that were powered by the turn signal.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about
Wrong thread.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Cat Scratching Post: The Car

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Captain Trips posted:

Wrong thread.

The best(worst?) image got lost, which sealed the deal for this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I'm getting visions of Hammond's truck from the Top Gear Burma/Thai special with that ute