Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

cubeboy posted:

Keeping my fingers crossed for some English subtitles :)

Annoyingly, this has been increasingly uncommon on Japanese DVD/Blu-ray releases, doubly so for Blu-rays, which sometimes are missing subtitles while the DVD does have them (because otherwise everyone will import the Blu-ray which is the same region code as the U.S. and screw up the U.S. release, apparently). Fingers crossed anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Has anyone heard anything from Discotek lately? The first Retro Game Master DVD seemed to do fairly well, so I figured he'd be eager to put out another one, but I'm starting to lose hope.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Producer Kan on Twitter today:

- Arino's down to his last life. Can he clear this game?! #saydeathwithoutusingthecharacterfordeath (aka #死という文字を使わずに死を表現してみろ)

- ADs old and new singing a song at karaoke. But neither of them hold a candle to AD Matsumura.

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 28, 2014

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Next challenge is Gunstar Heroes on the Genesis/Mega Drive.

Also, apparently the new director is "someone who's come back".

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 29, 2014

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

Kakaricho posted:

Next challenge is Gunstar Heroes on the Genesis/Mega Drive.

Also, apparently the new director is "someone who's come back".

I was waiting for the show to do this game.

I am so excited for the translation patch for RGC 2. I am playing my import copy to prepare for it. I have beaten all the main games on my import copy already.

Kirbychwan
Mar 19, 2009

Nuclear fusion causes confusion!
Oh snap, Gunstar Heroes! That should make for a good one.

An older director or an old AD directing, I wonder.

gunstarheroes
Mar 11, 2013
Needless to say, i am very, very excited for this upcoming episode. Its been almost 1 Treasure game a season now, kind of crazy.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kirbychwan posted:

Oh snap, Gunstar Heroes! That should make for a good one.

An older director or an old AD directing, I wonder.
I can't tell if they said "we're running out of games" prematurely or if they're pulling out all the stops for a few final seasons.

That said, I would love it if they did Darius Twin. No 49 Lives code, obviously, or maybe they could and just make it a DVD special or something.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Gunstar is one of my all time favorites, but I bet Arino will beat it pretty fast. It's not trivial, but with his side scroller experience he should get through it in only a few tries.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I look forward to watching Arino sleepwalking his way through the game with the blue/green SHACHO LASER.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"

gunstarheroes posted:

Needless to say, i am very, very excited for this upcoming episode. Its been almost 1 Treasure game a season now, kind of crazy.

If that means Mischief Makers next season, I'm fine with that.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
Gunstar is a great game, (firmly in my top 5 ever) but I never thought Arino would challenge it because it's pretty easy. Maybe they'll force him to play on Hard or Expert, at least to start with.

I think he'll have a blast with the dice palace. And if he plays co-op, they won't be able to stop throwing each other around the screen.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

NBHS posted:

I really hope so. Have they ever done any N64 games besides Ocarina of Time?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Broseph Brostar posted:

I really hope so. Have they ever done any N64 games besides Ocarina of Time?

Mario 64

Sludgesicle Man
Oct 31, 2013

NBHS posted:

This times a million. There are very few of my all time favorite game experiences that I think would actually make a good episode, but this might be one of the exceptions. If only he could play a Japanese translation of the English translation.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I want to see Arino or an AD doing Love Love Dancing.

And yeah Mischief Makers please.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Mischief Makers is one of the few N64 games that aged well, I'm surprised it never got handheld port. I guess the controls wouldn't carry over well without the C buttons.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Broseph Brostar posted:

Mischief Makers is one of the few N64 games that aged well, I'm surprised it never got handheld port. I guess the controls wouldn't carry over well without the C buttons.

Weren't the C buttons just shortcuts for dashing? I thought double tapping whatever directions on the d-pad did the same thing.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

They don't need to do Mischief Makers next season. They're still about half a dozen more Treasure games from Sega that they haven't touched. Gunstar Heroes is going to freak him out but I think Arino will beat it. Alien Soldier, on the other hand, will destroy him.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I think you would move faster and dash further with the C buttons, or is it the other way around?

ProfessorLoomis
Apr 5, 2007

I LUST FOR MONKEY DEATH
Saw 17 posts, was sure a new episode had been dropped..

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
I've only played a little bit of Gunstar Heroes, but from what I've seen, it looks like it'll be a great challenge game. :) I can't wait to see how Arino does on it.

ProfessorLoomis posted:

Saw 17 posts, was sure a new episode had been dropped..
Compared to what the 17 posts could've been about, knowing what Arino will challenge next seems like a good topic of discussion IMO. :shobon:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Broseph Brostar posted:

It's owned by Square-Enix, that's probably why.

Keyboard Kid
Sep 12, 2006

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno, you will won't.

Broseph Brostar posted:

I think you would move faster and dash further with the C buttons, or is it the other way around?

Other way around, but you'd probably want C dashes anyway. L/R triggers would work well for horizontal dashing.

vv you more or less have to use the D-pad for the athletic meet. There's a Clancer who tells you that in the level before it.

Keyboard Kid fucked around with this message at 09:18 on May 30, 2014

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
in my experience, the d-pad dashes were ultimately the fastest, or maybe they accepted input faster than C buttons or something. I remember having to use dpad for the trike levels and getting someone else to use dpad for the track meet level.

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's owned by Square-Enix, that's probably why.

So we can expect an iOS port with a hideously mangled font for $21, right.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
A reminder for when the GCCX2/RGC2 patch comes out: since at least April 3, all ROMs are forbidden, regardless of age or un-imported-ness. Guess they decided to paint the entire grey area black, and with how some companies can get, who can blame them?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
It's a good thing that the patch isn't a ROM and linking to the patch should be perfectly fine.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

PureRok posted:

It's a good thing that the patch isn't a ROM and linking to the patch should be perfectly fine.

I was just referring to the ROM. I was just concerned that not everyone had found out about the new rule.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
New? ROMs have counted as :filez: as far back as I can remember.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
The only game that's better than Gunstar Heroes is Alien Soldier. :)

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

zari-gani posted:

I don't speak for the RCG2 romhack team officially, but I joined a while ago and translated a huge bulk of it. Translating the game is no problem; a lot of it is already done, and English logos have been made too.

From GBATemp:

Aaron Chmielowiec posted:

Interesting times. Even though the text that Nina proofread is of excellent quality, if only she knew the text I got from the original team made up less than 10% of the total game. I cry thinking just about just how long it took getting through the RPG and Adventure games. The "logo" images were...well, there were a few. We ended up remaking everything in the game, though.

So yeah.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

AnotherGamer posted:

From GBATemp:

So yeah.

I did a bunch (not all) of the dialogue with Young Arino and others, but I knew there was still a lot of stuff that had to be translated. v:shobon:v The RPG and adventure game most definitely makes up most of the text. I also saw some English logos being worked on by other members of the team and thought they were making good progress. I apologize if I made it sound like the first translation team was nearing completion -- that wasn't my intent. I was trying to reassure everyone here that the wheels are turning in the project and that it was getting somewhere, since some posters were wondering if it'll ever be done. I'm embarrassed to look back at my old post now and see that my optimism made it sound like most of the work was done.

I'd also like to apologize to the new team for not being able to help out any further (been swamped by work lately), but I'm incredibly glad to see they were able to put together a dedicated team and happy to see their work completed. What I've seen so far looks great! And after learning I did such a small percentage of the translations, I don't even want/need credit for the work that I did.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 1, 2014

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
I was lucky enough to beta test the patch this weekend. Everything is looking really good and is slated for release very soon. It is well worth the wait. We may also plan on getting the official strategy guide and translate that as well.

I was picked to test it because I have nearly gotten 100% completion of the import copy of the game and he wanted help testing the post game content.

Edit: I just got word from the author of the patch. It should be released by sometime today or tomorrow unless another issue comes up. Fans of Retro Game Challenge will really enjoy the sequel.

Edit: The translation patch is finally out! I want to make sure that it isn't against the rules to post links to the patch. I know that links to roms is a rule breaker though.

joek0 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 2, 2014

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Cernunnos posted:

New? ROMs have counted as :filez: as far back as I can remember.

The rule used to be that if it hasn't been available new in any form for a while then it's okay to post, but you still can't ask for someone else to post it.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Looks like the translation patch is done and released! http://www.gccxpatch.com/index.html

Edit: This is phenomenal work. Seriously awesome.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 2, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aw poo poo, ya'll.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Since the site seems to be hammered, here's a link Aaron posted directly to the download

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Is this a good time to post that gif of the poo poo gently caress drat picture?

Because I think this warrants that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

10 PM on a Sunday? I need sleep! :negative: