Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I am just going to go out and say it and that the Hyrule Warriors Link is heavily inspired by the Link from the Smash Bros. coming out. My only proof is that I think Smash has been in further development than Hyrule Warriors but then again I am not a game developer. Whatever the case I am fine with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Hyrule Warriors Link is totally different, he has that goofy scarf.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I definitely don't think HW and SSB4 Link look much at all like each other. HW Link has softer, rounder facial features, while SSB4 Link's features are pretty narrow and pointed.

I think it's simplest to say that SSB4 Link is supposed to be the TP version again, since he still has the gale boomerang and Zelda also uses her TP design (Ganondorf most certainly will too).

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

New Link is far too attractive than what was presented in TP. Glow golden hair for example. There might be some influence, but there is no doubt it is not Twlight Princess, and definitely not Skyward Sword Link.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Your Friend posted:

New Link is far too attractive than what was presented in TP. Glow golden hair for example. There might be some influence, but there is no doubt it is not Twlight Princess, and definitely not Skyward Sword Link.

It's an amalgam. My best guess is that it's TP Links' equipment and clothing design, OoT Link's hair and facial features, and SS Link's art direction.

Since TP Link's outfit was essentially just a more detailed, less silly evolution of OoT Link's, perhaps the simplest conclusion is that it's a more detailed, modernized take on OoT Link.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 11:03 on May 29, 2014

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Cleretic posted:

perhaps the simplest conclusion is that it's a more detailed, modernized take on OoT Link.

A version of Link with TP Link's hairstyle, TP Link's equipment, and design elements found on TP Link's clothing but not on OOT Link's... yes, clearly it is simplest to say that this is OOT Link.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Cleretic posted:

It's an amalgam. My best guess is that it's TP Links' equipment and clothing design, OoT Link's hair and facial features, and SS Link's art direction.

Since TP Link's outfit was essentially just a more detailed, less silly evolution of OoT Link's, perhaps the simplest conclusion is that it's a more detailed, modernized take on OoT Link.

I have seen a video of Link in Hyrule Warriors and I have seen Smash videos with Link in them, and I just don't see it. They are of the same.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Kay Kessler posted:

I know Nintendo isn't one to copy it's competitors

Hahahhahahahahahahahahhaha.

But seriously, I don't think that'd work for Smash. Smash is more rooted in building everything to feel authentic of it's respective series or game and putting them together. I enjoyed PSABR's "remix" feel, but would rather see Smash stay the way it is. Also Sakurai said he wasn't going to borrow any ideas from Playstation All-Stars when asked if they could turn stage hazards off, because those are features that set them apart.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Put Banjo-Kazooie in. Dammit. That's all I want, now and forever

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Not a Children posted:

I want Conker. Final smash would be chugging down a beer and pissing all over the other fighters, and making the floor all slippery with piss. Great Mighty Poo assist trophy

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Not a Children posted:

They're Microsoft properties now. They could replace them with Ursaring-Talonflame, though.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

less laughter posted:

They're Microsoft properties now. They could replace them with Ursaring-Talonflame, though.

I'm allowed to dream. Don't rip this away from me

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

less laughter posted:

What about Skyward Sword Link?

I was specifically talking about the Young Link character, not Link in general. And yeah they could've used the LBW "classic" design but that would basically just be a less detailed Toon Link anyways.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Okay all this Linkchat is pointless without easy reference photos

Twilight Princess Link:

Smash Bros 4 Link:

Hyrule Warriors Link:

So yes Smash Link is basically the same as TP Link in every way, but with brighter colors. And Hyrule Warriors Link is pretty darn similar to them in a lot of ways, but has a scarf and shoulder pauldron thing too.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

F. Lobot posted:

Candadians lower your nunchucks and N64 controllers strapped on poles like pitchforks, your Best Buy events have been announced:

http://plug-in.bestbuy.ca/t5/Video-Gaming/Super-Smash-Bros-Smash-Fest-Best-Buy/td-p/92368

I guess if I want one of those gold coins I better start lining up today. Assuming some other nerds haven't gotten the same idea already :v:

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."

Not a Children posted:

Banjo-Kazooie could inherit Snake's moveset. Instead of guns, Banjo could be using Kazooie's Breegull Blaster to shoot grenade eggs

The final smash would even be left intact. Just change 'It's show time' to 'HERNF HORNF GUUH GA-HUCK (mumbling animal sounds)'

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Rooreelooo posted:

Banjo-Kazooie could inherit Snake's moveset. Instead of guns, Banjo could be using Kazooie's Breegull Blaster to shoot grenade eggs

The final smash would even be left intact. Just change 'It's show time' to 'HERNF HORNF GUUH GA-HUCK (mumbling animal sounds)'

Final Smash brings Mumbo out who has a random chance to transform you into various different things. There is also a small chance he will make you a toilet and you will be unable to attack for the duration.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

You guys think there's any potential promotional DLC in store for Smash?!!?

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

DrPaper posted:

Mountain Dew-themed alternate colours for all the fighters.

I'm ready. :getin:

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

It would be really cool if Lowtax did a promotional tie-in with Namco so the grenade for Shiek's new attack could be the SA grenade?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

DrPaper posted:

Waluigi tie-in with a new Saints Row game, exclusively on Wii U.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Waluigi tie-in with a new Saints Row game, exclusively on Wii U.

gently caress now I really want this to be a thing even though it will never be. :(

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

DrPaper posted:

Man you really hate DLC in Nintendo stuff, huh?

They did this in Mario Golf recently, they had a tournament where they teamed up with a golf club manufacturer of some kind. You used their gear for the tournament, then they gave you the set at the end. Their stats weren't great so I don't really use it but it was pretty neat, I thought. :shrug:

Doesn't really seem to be much crossover potential for anything with Smash, really. Unless they license out the food pickups.

EDIT: also that Benz is Japan only because it ties in to commercials they've got going on over there

codenameFANGIO fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 29, 2014

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

codenameFANGIO posted:

Man you really hate DLC in Nintendo stuff, huh?

They did this in Mario Golf recently, they had a tournament where they teamed up with a golf club manufacturer of some kind. You used their gear for the tournament, then they gave you he set at the end. It wasn't great so I don't really use it but it was pretty neat, I thought. :shrug:

Doesn't really seem to be much crossover potential for anything with Smash, really. Unless they license out the food pickups.

Are you kidding? I think it owns. Mario's driving a real world brand car. It's the same kind of stupid poo poo like the Doritos in MGS3, and I find it really funny.

The only thing I'm probably going to really hate is the NFC figures, depending on how they work with Smash.

EDIT: Nintendo of Europe confirmed they're getting it too actually, to be detailed "in the future"
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-29-mario-kart-8-getting-free-mercedes-car-dlc

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

codenameFANGIO posted:

Haha, you kidding? They can just plaster company logos on item crates.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I am very cautious about the figures, that is for drat sure. :(

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Not a Children posted:

Haha, you kidding? They can just plaster company logos on item crates.

Crates and barrels with the Crate & Barrel logo.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

C&B loving sucks, 20 dollars for a candle? gently caress no

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

Excels posted:

C&B loving sucks, 20 dollars for a candle? gently caress no

You have strong opinions about a candle shop.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Darkoni posted:

its actually more like a bumpkin interior decorating store but w/e

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Darkoni posted:

it is good to have strong opinions and convictions in this terrible world, darkoni.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
It'd be really dumb if this dlc doesn't make it to all regions, especially if that car is good in game.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

DrPaper posted:

Crates and barrels with the Crate & Barrel logo.

Next Zelda game features pots from Pottery Barn.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I like the potential of the NFC figures and I don't particularly understand the problem. Optimally they would be a way for kids whose parents don't want to buy them the DLC off the E-shop to have those things. Besides, I don't own any Nintendo figures and having one would be pretty cool.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Raserys posted:

I like the potential of the NFC figures and I don't particularly understand the problem. Optimally they would be a way for kids whose parents don't want to buy them the DLC off the E-shop to have those things. Besides, I don't own any Nintendo figures and having one would be pretty cool.

As Disney Infinity and Skylanders proved, there are a lot of people willing to shell out hundreds of dollars for physical copies of digital content. Some people believe that kind of thing is bad. Others think it's good.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Nintendo just put up this video, which has some information on the Smash Bros 4 tournament that's going to be at E3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMQySEjyCUw

Nothing to special for the most part but uhh... be sure to keep watching until the very end. :stare:

e: ronpaulitshappening.gif

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 29, 2014

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

JordanKai posted:

Nintendo just put up this video, which has some information on the Smash Bros 4 tournament that's going to be at E3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMQySEjyCUw

Nothing to special for the most part but uhh... be sure to keep watching until the very end. :stare:

Wow, that is...unexpected.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Geoff Keighley just has to make sure he's in loving every E3 thing doesn't he.

e: lol even Nintendo is not above using GarageBand loops

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

JordanKai posted:

Well that is one way of doing it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I wonder if it'll be compatible with more than just Smash Bros?

• Locked thread