Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
The 360 controller works really well. I was surprised.
None of this yaw-twitching. The Aurora flies like my old Honda Civic, light and responsive but anemic. The 300 does feel like a BMW, precise and accurate. And the Hornet is... well, it's not as precise as the 300, but it really doesn't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Justin Tyme posted:

Playing this and War Thunder back to back is really frustrating since War Thunder does mouse control so perfectly but Star Citizen drops the ball, I wish they tweak it to be similar to WT but I won't hold my breath. Hopefully TrackIR integration fixes things regarding the gimballed guns and joystick control but whoever said it feels like flying a big barrel full of water is spot-on. Really weird momentum changes and stuttering.

I've done what Nalin and others suggested for cleaning up control stutter but haven't had the chance to test it out yet. My theory is that the thruster solutions aren't that good yet, especially for input that can have a lot of small jumps like mouse input. The dynamics of solving for 10+ thrusters on the fly has got to be an interesting problem. It handles a lot better if I'm really deliberate about directional changes. Would be neat if in the full game your ifcs could be tuneable for different thruster bias.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I also hosed around with the miniguns on the hornet, and now they don't work anymore. At first none of them would have any ammo when I restarted, then I fiddled around some more, and now one of them starts with ammo, but the other one stays empty, no matter what I do.

E: Also, it doens't save my 'loadouts', despite turning the holo-table on and off, when I log in the 300i has both miniguns on it in a weird configuration I never played with (wing/nose?!)

If you delete the USER folder in the starcitizen\citizenclient it apparently resets everything back to defaults, so try that.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Furism posted:

No. But I suspect F2P for the Persistent Universe and a Season Pass thing for Squadron 42.

It's not going to be F2P, he's using box purchase + micro-transactions(B4tBG trigger word) model. No word on SQ42 yet.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I've done what Nalin and others suggested for cleaning up control stutter but haven't had the chance to test it out yet. My theory is that the thruster solutions aren't that good yet, especially for input that can have a lot of small jumps like mouse input. The dynamics of solving for 10+ thrusters on the fly has got to be an interesting problem. It handles a lot better if I'm really deliberate about directional changes. Would be neat if in the full game your ifcs could be tuneable for different thruster bias.
If it is still bothering you, you can set your throttle to 50% and disable G-SAFE and COMSTAB. Flying around at 50% throttle will help prevent blackouts, and with G-SAFE and COMSTAB off, the jerkiness should be gone.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

AP posted:

If you delete the USER folder in the starcitizen\citizenclient it apparently resets everything back to defaults, so try that.

Worked like a charm, thanks!

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Anyone else not get visible crosshairs? And my character's hands only seem to move the... wheel-joystick-thing in small jumps, rather than smoothly.

Otherwise, seems good.

Doink9731
May 11, 2011

I'm living in a nightmare.

CLAM DOWN posted:

In Star Citizen's Arena Commander, a PC video game, you have to put on your virtual helmet in order to play it, or you might e-suffocate or some poo poo.

E-rotic Asphyxiation? How many David Carradines have to die for your immersion?

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

Every non-lethal catapult launch is a triumph

:corrupt:
I finally got some time with the client, and all I can say is - keyboard and mouse + Hornet is a really loving terrible combo to achieve anything in space, sans wildly jerking about in space and running into obstacles.

brakanjan
May 26, 2014

Octopode posted:

The paragraph is a bit misleading and confusing, especially if you're not a close follower of the game.

Star Citizen is not an MMO in that the Persistent Universe is not the sole way to play the game. It's more accurate to say that playing the game on an MMO-like server is one of several ways to play the game, but you are not forced to in the manner of a real MMO. Instead, you can play a single player campaign, or host your own version of the MMO style server (scaled down to what your machine can support).

Only the official PU server will be impacted by your pledge ships, organizations, and the like, though.

Basically the carebear can ride the rainbow without interference, if they choose and still have fun doing it :)

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I was kinda uplifted when I saw the CR post, where he said they were considering the responsiveness issues people were bringing up, but perusing the brown sea, it seems I'm incredibly outnumbered. Turns out I'm an ultra-casual, seeing as I like the mouse-keyboard control scheme from war thunder and the vast majority seem to think that mouse-keyboard is way too good and option in Arena Commander as it is now. Seems the most common complaint, is that gimballed guns should be removed, because it makes keyboard-mouse overpowered.

brakanjan
May 26, 2014

Warcabbit posted:

The 360 controller works really well. I was surprised.
None of this yaw-twitching. The Aurora flies like my old Honda Civic, light and responsive but anemic. The 300 does feel like a BMW, precise and accurate. And the Hornet is... well, it's not as precise as the 300, but it really doesn't care.

I kept wondering if that's why they kept using controllers. Is it better than a standard joystick?

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

DaveKap posted:

It doesn't. I move the mouse and it takes at least half a second for the ship to actually respond. Has CIG said anything about making these controls better or do I actually have to get used to this?

I say this after beating swarm mode on my second try. Looks like I only got 3 of 15 waves on the second level before it just stopped spawning. Still, though, missiles are loving OP.

I expect a lot of this will be solved if they just give us the ability to customize keys. Other than that, I personally think Space Engineers is a better analogy here. They got both newtonian and fake-atmo control right. And the controls are so unfinished I don't expect this current implementation to stay regardless.

Missiles are OP the first few waves, at 6 they start using flares and by wave 9 you might as well not bother firing them at the bosses. It's an extremely binary weapon right now. But then all the ships appear to use the same missile and flares seem to counter it perfectly. We'll see how it looks in the future once we have different missiles and countermeasures.

Also, has anyone noticed any stealth mechanics? Doesn't seem to be implemented yet?

Lexusbeat
Jul 8, 2008
The acceleration curve on the virtual joystick that the mouse controls have seems really steep, on top of the random juddering. If you press CTRL-F you get a mode that makes the mouse control 1 To 1 but you lose the advantage of the weapons being gymbaled. Doesn't fix the juddering though.

Im a bit mystified that they didn't launch this with a basic six degrees of freedom mode instead of this odd vector locking thing.

My biggest problem with it is that they essentially have two gimped control systems at the moment, one that doesnt let you strafe and another that doesnt let you go at a decent speed, and fights with you over what direction you are going in.
If they think they can stop people face to face circle fighting in a space sim they are sorely mistaken.

It looks really really pretty though!

Lexusbeat fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jun 5, 2014

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Out of curiosity has anyone used a Dualshock 4 controller using something like DS4Tool yet? I'm curious how that would work since people are having good experiences with 360 controllers.

brakanjan
May 26, 2014

Courthouse posted:

Also, has anyone noticed any stealth mechanics? Doesn't seem to be implemented yet?

Do you mean stealth as in going cloaked or cutting out the engine and hiding behind an asteroid - star wars style?

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:

Nalin posted:

I made a big effort post on how to fix any joystick issues you may encounter:
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/139973/walkthrough-how-to-configure-joystick-throttle-pedals/p1

The problem is that StarCitizen assigns devices a number in the order it enumerates them. So your pedals might become device 1, throttle device 2, and joystick device 3. Well, the keybinds are by device number, so it will try to bind pitch/roll to the js1_x and js1_y binds, which might be your pedals. If your system isn't reading the joystick correctly for whatever reason, you will have to start modifying config files.

Thank you for potentially making this thing playable, as I'm super picky about changing my stick-mapping after years of doing it the same way.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I was kinda uplifted when I saw the CR post, where he said they were considering the responsiveness issues people were bringing up, but perusing the brown sea, it seems I'm incredibly outnumbered. Turns out I'm an ultra-casual, seeing as I like the mouse-keyboard control scheme from war thunder and the vast majority seem to think that mouse-keyboard is way too good and option in Arena Commander as it is now. Seems the most common complaint, is that gimballed guns should be removed, because it makes keyboard-mouse overpowered.

The mouse controls may not be great, but I still find them far more effective than a stick or controller in this game. It's so much easier to keep the targeting reticule glued to an enemy with the mouse that anything you may lose in ship movement isn't such a big deal, against the AI anyway. This is with the flight assists turned off and liberal use of decoupled mode.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Justin Tyme posted:

For a better WT comparison, the Full Real Battle mouse control system is how SC works right now. It's a loving pain in the dick and completely gimps you vs joysticks.

That's funny, because I think mouse control works better then a joystick in SC, but both control methods currently feel like poo poo. Kind of hard to say which one is better versus other people though, since no one has multiplayer access beyond a mystical "250 people."

I love cats
Feb 8, 2012

warcrimes posted:

It's not going to be F2P, he's using box purchase + micro-transactions(B4tBG trigger word) model. No word on SQ42 yet.

what's scummier than f2p + microtransactions? box purchase + microtransactions.

Dart
Jan 11, 2012

macnbc posted:

Out of curiosity has anyone used a Dualshock 4 controller using something like DS4Tool yet? I'm curious how that would work since people are having good experiences with 360 controllers.

I just tried it for the sake of it and it seemed to work fine, although at this point I'm already relatively accustomed to the M&K control setup so I switched back quickly. I had the Dualshock 4 hidden so as far as my computer was concerned I just had a 360 controller plugged in, not sure whether it would have double input problems like some games do.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I love cats posted:

what's scummier than f2p + microtransactions? box purchase + microtransactions.

Yeah they should just make it into a subscription game, it's an unbeatable recipe for success.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

warcrimes posted:

Box purchase + selling gold micro-transactions. Supposedly SQ42 will also have expansion packs that people will pay for.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I spent all yest downloading this and havent played yet. A question.

How do the gimballed weapons work if I use a stick/controller?

lovely auto targetting? no gimballing at all?

Can I map the gimbal targetter to my right stick? Can I have a copilot aim the guns with the mouse while I fly?

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jun 5, 2014

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ShineDog posted:

I spent all yest downloading this and havent played yet. A question.

How do the gimballed weapons work if I use a stick/controller?

lovely auto targetting? no gimballing at all?

Can I map the gimbal targetter to my right stick? Can I have a copilot aim the guns while I fly?

They have an element of auto targeting.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

the 300I sure does have some mean wing guns. it kinda feels like I am flying a yak from warthunder :v:

Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
I've been out of the loop for a while, has the multiple org things been fixed yet? I still have my Goonrathi thingy floating about, but never joined up due to a smaller goon group.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Personally, I think it would be nice to try out the different loaner ships.

Oh, and does the hornet even have missiles?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

brakanjan posted:

I kept wondering if that's why they kept using controllers. Is it better than a standard joystick?

I don't know right now, but it shouldn't be at the end.

I should also note that my buggy is frictionless but inertial in the hangar. I can push it around and it sliiiiiiiiiiiides.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Having played a bit more, I agree completely. Someone at CIG should play a few rounds of war thunder (with keyboard/mouse) and see just how much more satisfying and fun that control scheme is.

A long time ago, more than a year, they explicitly said they were not going to do a war thunder/freelancer mouse follow scheme.

If I remember right they said that control scheme doesn't have you controlling the crafts control surfaces at all, and literally reduces the game to a point and click. There is no flying there, as an imaginary ship's computer is actually doing all the work for you while you just clicked. This game was meant to be about flying, not clicking. We actually have to fly the ship.

I believe Chris Roberts said that was one of his regrets about Freelancer.

Also, the mouse and keyboard in war thunder makes joysticks basically obsolete which they didn't want here.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 5, 2014

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
I tried the mouse controls but I seemed to do a lot better with the Xbox controller. I don't really get why they're bitching and moaning in the brown sea about how Mouse Controls are so superior and now this is the worst game ever because mouse controls are going to ruin everything. What gives?

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I tried the mouse controls but I seemed to do a lot better with the Xbox controller. I don't really get why they're bitching and moaning in the brown sea about how Mouse Controls are so superior and now this is the worst game ever because mouse controls are going to ruin everything. What gives?

the brown sea is brown, the very fact you can fly a ship with a m/k is enough for some to scream that Chris has abandoned his dream.

M/K controls are alright and seems to have some lag, that lag is more noticeable near the lazor beam towers, so it may be a performance issue

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Red Herring posted:

I've been out of the loop for a while, has the multiple org things been fixed yet? I still have my Goonrathi thingy floating about, but never joined up due to a smaller goon group.

Yes, you can join up to 10 organisations now.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

I did the same thing just now, and find the controller much easier than mouse/keybord. Gonna play with that in multiplayer I think, although I still feel it's too flimsy/floaty. I do however think I've narrowed my problem with the mouse down. It's that no matter what the sensitivity, the ship goes bonkers up and down and left and right, with even relatively minor adjustments and espcially, if you're trying to make big turns. Basically, mouse control oversteers massively, as soon as you try to make more than tiny, tiny, adjustments.

BitBasher posted:

A long time ago, more than a year, they explicitly said they were not going to do a war thunder/freelancer mouse follow scheme.

If I remember right they said that control scheme doesn't have you controlling the crafts control surfaces at all, and literally reduces the game to a point and click. There is no flying there, as an imaginary ship's computer is actually doing all the work for you while you just clicked. This game was meant to be about flying, not clicking. We actually have to fly the ship.

I believe Chris Roberts said that was one of his regrets about Freelancer.

Also, the mouse and keyboard in war thunder makes joysticks basically obsolete which they didn't want here.

Citation needed, although I think you're right, as CR is obviously a massive joystick nerd. Regardless, there must be some middleground between joystick being obsolete and mouse being a janky, floaty, annoying experience (or as some genius in the brown sea put it, 'if you invest money in joystick and hotas, you should completely own people who only have mouse and keyboard 100% of the time'). I think the War Thunder control scheme is by far the most satisfying in a flight-sim (or ultra casual arcade fly game, either way), but I don't think it's impossible to make joystick a reasonable alternative at the same time, it's just that War Thunder haven't done so (in arcade mode).

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 5, 2014

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Citation needed, although I think you're right...

I want to say it was on the previous forums and not the current one, making it pretty much impossible to provide a link. It wasn't long after the kickstarter when there were a bunch of threads popping up asking for a freelancer control scheme and Roberts posted a short post explaining that wasn't going to happen. Take it all with a grain of salt though, as all the links I used to have to that info are dead now because of their site redesign.

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

brakanjan posted:

Do you mean stealth as in going cloaked or cutting out the engine and hiding behind an asteroid - star wars style?

Well there is no cloaking in this game. So hiding behind asteroids and ships boosting and shootin a lot being easier to scan/target/lock or whatever.

The radar seems pretty meh. Especially since you just follow the arrow.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Is the number of loaner ships determined by your pledge? I have Cutlass and only had a 300i waiting for me. Is it possible for me to try out Aurora and Hornet?

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Who cares about their complaints? It's an alpha. Oh wait, who am I kidding? There have already been thousands of clans created and destroyed before the alpha existed.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I did the same thing, just now and find the controller much easier than mouse/keybord. Gonna play with that in multiplayer, I think although I still feel it's too flimsy/floaty. I do however think I've narrowed my problem with the mouse down. It's that no matter what the sensitivity, the ship goes bonkers up and down and left and right, with even relatively minor adjustments and espcially, if you're trying to make big turns. Basically, mouse control oversteers massively, as soon as you try to make more than tiny, tiny, adjustments.

Citation needed, although I think you're right, as CR is obviously a massive joystick nerd. Regardless, there must be some middleground between joystick being obsolete and mouse being a janky, floaty, annoying experience (or as some genius in the brown sea put it, 'if you invest money in joystick and hotas, you should completely own people who only have mouse and keyboard 100% of the time'). I think the War Thunder control scheme is by far the most satisfying in a flight-sim (or ultra casual arcade fly game, either way), but I don't think it's impossible to make joystick a reasonable alternative at the same time, it's just that War Thunder haven't done so (in arcade mode).

I wonder how much of the current mouse control problem is due to bugs, and how much of it is intended behavior. It seems kind of hard to differentiate them at the moment, with the janky control issues a lot of people are reporting with the mouse. I really don't see them going full War Thunder with the mouse controls, but it would be nice to see them tighten up the dead zones and smooth out the pitch/roll curves a bit better.

If they do significantly improve the mouse controls, I think the next control "hole" we'll see is with joystick/HOTAS users that don't have a Rift/Track-IR. The gimbal autotrack area for turrets and Class 2's seems pretty tight right now when you're flying with a stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Octopode posted:

If they do significantly improve the mouse controls, I think the next control "hole" we'll see is with joystick/HOTAS users that don't have a Rift/Track-IR. The gimbal autotrack area for turrets and Class 2's seems pretty tight right now when you're flying with a stick.

And the other side of the coin, people are going to scream that OR and TrackIR (When added) are grossly overpowered, and they may not be overly wrong. There really isn't any substitute for that that I can see. Joystick flight control with mouse accurate aiming?

• Locked thread