Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harabeck
Feb 9, 2012

Equilibrium posted:

I don't have this yet but I will keep reading the thread anyways because man oh man is it ever satisfying to read babies bitching that :qq: "the mouse doesn't literally fly the ship for me, how will I obsolete everyone with a joystick?"

It's perfect karma for the shitfest that is War Thunder.

It's really bizarre. If you read the brown sea and reddit, half the posts complain that the mouse controls will obsolete joystick players, and the other half complain that they suck so much they'd rather use a joystick or controller. Maybe the fact that no one is happy is evidence that it is perfectly balanced (which is not the same thing as fun, of course).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!
This is funny because both sides cry about the other. Star Citizen must have perfect balance because all control methods are crappy! :v:

Dart
Jan 11, 2012

Am I the only one who hates the loadout interface? It looks nice but in practice selecting and moving the parts I want has been a huge pain in the rear end. I wish it was just a list with drop down menus for my available parts and a hologram to the side.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Dart posted:

... It looks nice ... but in practice a huge pain in the rear end.

This is going to apply to so many things in this game.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
If they would invert the right stick on a 360 controller also my brain would stop breaking trying to play with it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

BitBasher posted:

Yeah, but I thought I remembered it involved cash, like paying 5 bucks to try a ship for a day. I could be wrong, I only have a vague recollection and couldn't find anything on a quick search of partedveil.

The way Ben talked it was going to be in game. Like earning credits. Also if they want to test certain ships they planned to give one to everybody for a day or so.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

macnbc posted:

Out of curiosity has anyone used a Dualshock 4 controller using something like DS4Tool yet? I'm curious how that would work since people are having good experiences with 360 controllers.

I'm going to give it a try as soon as I get home- I like the ps4 controller better than the Xbox.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I have no idea what the gently caress is happening when I try and yaw and pitch together while moving on my 360 controller, it either seizes up and barely turns or makes little stair step movements unless I turn on decoupled?

So far flight feels pretty fuckin awful frankly.

Malakesh
Nov 4, 2009
"Also it may be a bit easier to explain my background with audio. I am a musician. I play the drums. I also sell high end audio and home theater. I am used to the best."

AP posted:

It's really kind of amazing how much extra money this is going to claw out of the people who will cough up just to try other ships. Not to mention the subscriber only pilot badges. Not seen much moaning about it yet but I expect to see a lot further down the line when they sell limited ships again and those are available in AC.

Actually someone should ask about visiting friends hangars as that was meant to be in v2 of the hangar last year and I would assume would be a good way of letting friends try out different ships.

To prove this point even more, sales have jumped up by a 100 grand in a single day. Take a look at the crowd funding timeline on the main page. Absolutely astounding the amount of money neck beards will shell out for this game, myself included.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I was kinda uplifted when I saw the CR post, where he said they were considering the responsiveness issues people were bringing up, but perusing the brown sea, it seems I'm incredibly outnumbered. Turns out I'm an ultra-casual, seeing as I like the mouse-keyboard control scheme from war thunder and the vast majority seem to think that mouse-keyboard is way too good and option in Arena Commander as it is now. Seems the most common complaint, is that gimballed guns should be removed, because it makes keyboard-mouse overpowered.

As I've said for over a year, the biggest risk to this project is listening to the entitled nerds on their forums too much. They are not the average user.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Box purchase + selling gold micro-transactions. Supposedly SQ42 will also have expansion packs that people will pay for.

If they are already talking about expansion packs they are waaaaay ahead of themselves

BitBasher posted:

If I remember right they said that control scheme doesn't have you controlling the crafts control surfaces at all, and literally reduces the game to a point and click. There is no flying there, as an imaginary ship's computer is actually doing all the work for you while you just clicked. This game was meant to be about flying, not clicking. We actually have to fly the ship.

Well, his noble simulator ideas aside, the controls aren't feeling very responsive. They need to find a way to make things feel 'good' for the majority of users.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

There is nothing better than exploding a scythe and rolling to slide in between the wreckage of its wing and body. Well maybe a lot could be better, but it still feels pretty drat cool.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Claes Oldenburger posted:

There is nothing better than exploding a scythe and rolling to slide in between the wreckage of its wing and body. Well maybe a lot could be better, but it still feels pretty drat cool.

Really not seeing it. Maybe it's the ship I'm in, but I can't find a control combination that doesn't cause the ship to spaz around after a hard turn. Really thinking that the individual thruster simulation is a bad idea if I'm going to be fighting them the whole time.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

I love cats posted:

what's scummier than f2p + microtransactions? box purchase + microtransactions.

Antonio, this is either low effort trolling or you've been so jaded by WoT you see price-gauging everywhere. CIG has passed on several opportunities to make extra money(and a lot of it) and every ship available now(and the limited, not currently available ships), except one, will be buyable with in-game credits after the game launches.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Box purchase + selling gold micro-transactions. Supposedly SQ42 will also have expansion packs that people will pay for.

Yes, I know about the DLC "Mission Discs", I'm just not clear if SQ42 will be sold separately, or how much it will go for. It's pretty easy to speculate on SC's retail price just looking at newly available games.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

BitBasher posted:

Helping them test the game is a secondary bonus, not a goal. We aren't their QA department.

Chris Roberts posted:

Remember: you ARE our full QA department!
(Source)

twi
Oct 31, 2011

I love cats posted:

what's scummier than f2p + microtransactions? box purchase + microtransactions.

ArenaNet seems to be doing just fine with their box purchase + microtransactions model...

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

halokiller posted:

Only thing I could find is if you're a SUBSCRIBER and if you've given them 12-months worth of money:

“ TEST PILOT” access badge – a single-use token allowing you one day of access to test fly any of the five base spacecraft each month during a future dogfighting alpha test.

“VANDUUL TEST PILOT” badge allowing access to fly the Vanduul Scythe during the upcoming Dogfighting Module test phase. Each month gives an additional 24 hours of access to the Scythe!

“ADVANCED TEST PILOT” access badge – a single-use token allowing you one day of access to test fly any available spacecraft each month during a future dogfighting alpha test. Includes rare ships and variants! The DFM will launch with a selection of single-seat fighters and add other ships with ongoing patches.

:barf:

Terrible system if you have to physically buy more ships to help beta test their game.

No.

You will be able to earn those access badge/tokens by playing the DFM. CIG will also hand out loaner ships whenever they feel like getting more data to test the rarer ships or gear. Subscribers just get extra things earlier, they don't get anything everyone else doesn't. There was a big whine and bitch thread about this a few weeks ago.

gently caress knows when that access token system, or the ability to earn them, or the ships they temporarily unlock will get patched in.

And, of course, anyone can see these 24hr tokens getting added to the store for 1-5$ coming from a mile away. Not because CIG will be trying to squeeze money out of pledgers, but because the brown sea will rise up and loving demand CIG take their moneys. Roberts couldn't stop making money if he wanted to.

Harabeck
Feb 9, 2012

ShineDog posted:

Really not seeing it. Maybe it's the ship I'm in, but I can't find a control combination that doesn't cause the ship to spaz around after a hard turn. Really thinking that the individual thruster simulation is a bad idea if I'm going to be fighting them the whole time.

Have you tried turning off G limit and comstab? Maybe the 300i just flies better, but the controls don't seem bad enough to me to warrant the complaints I've seen.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Harabeck posted:

Have you tried turning off G limit and comstab? Maybe the 300i just flies better, but the controls don't seem bad enough to me to warrant the complaints I've seen.

Yep. pitching up and down Is ok, left and right is usually ok. Jumping from one to the other can lead to the ship bucking around. hard diagonals vary between; A very slow stairstep between pitching and yawing, A pitch or a Yaw with a tiny bit of the other, or a normal diagonal turn only very slow.

I'm going to hook my joystick in and see if it's any better, I note that the stick defaults to Pitch/roll as opposed to the Pitch/Yaw of the controller, but it's really, really loving awful as it stands.

Also - relative mode doesn't seem to do anything unless I'm missing something obvious? that should give me full engine control in decoupled, yes? But nothing seems to happen.

Kronok
Sep 19, 2002

ShineDog posted:

I have no idea what the gently caress is happening when I try and yaw and pitch together while moving on my 360 controller, it either seizes up and barely turns or makes little stair step movements unless I turn on decoupled?

I'm assuming you're flying the hornet. It's definitely the weirdest, most difficult flight model of the 3 (I flew straight into the yellow beam and didn't mean to, meanwhile I got up to wave 10 on my 2nd try with the 300i). Seeing how much easier the 300i is to fly (which still is a bit difficult), I have a lot of hope that this is just something that they need to tweak a bit and isn't just a design decision destined for failure.

Kronok
Sep 19, 2002

Harabeck posted:

As a nerd with all 3 ships, the 300i flies loads better than the other 2.

Harabeck
Feb 9, 2012

ShineDog posted:

Yep. pitching up and down Is ok, left and right is usually ok. Jumping from one to the other can lead to the ship bucking around. hard diagonals vary between; A very slow stairstep between pitching and yawing, A pitch or a Yaw with a tiny bit of the other, or a normal diagonal turn only very slow.

I'm going to hook my joystick in and see if it's any better, I note that the stick defaults to Pitch/roll as opposed to the Pitch/Yaw of the controller, but it's really, really loving awful as it stands.

Also - relative mode doesn't seem to do anything unless I'm missing something obvious? that should give me full engine control in decoupled, yes? But nothing seems to happen.

I don't know what relative does for the non-mouse controls, it may be a mouse control only thing. For the mouse, it just means that instead of the ship's heading following the mouse cursor, mouse movements directly translate into steering.

As for the pitch/roll thing on the joystick, you can switch it to pitch/yaw with a console command: pp_RebindKeys layout_joystick_spacesim

I don't know the command to undo that, however. Deleting the User folder works though.

^^Good to know, Kronok

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

Kronok posted:

As a nerd with all 3 ships, the 300i flies loads better than the other 2.

300i with comstab off is smooth as silk. Still very quick turning, but no more fighting the controls/jerkiness. And if you have one, swap out that lovely bulldog for the mass driver off of a 325a, then proceed to crush everything.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

BULBASAUR posted:

If they are already talking about expansion packs they are waaaaay ahead of themselves

This is Star Citizen we're talking about here.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

ShineDog posted:

I saw this too. The extreme corners of the pitch/yaw stick have dead zones, its kind of weird. Once I compensated for that I started doing pretty good.
Also, their whole FCS thing needs a big revamp. You should be able to fire strafing thrusters at any time, not by toggling the entire flight mode that seems to kill the primary engines.
I don't have a problem with a toggle to kill the main engines so you can do super fast turning changes without altering your primary velocity, but Allegiance (an awesome space pvp game from 2000 had up/down/left/right/backwards strafing on like day 1 of the beta. Your strafing just altered your trajectory to also include a slight pitch left/up/etc and it worked out pretty well.
Also, that UI, oh god.

Exnihilation
Mar 2, 2013

Malakesh posted:

To prove this point even more, sales have jumped up by a 100 grand in a single day. Take a look at the crowd funding timeline on the main page. Absolutely astounding the amount of money neck beards will shell out for this game, myself included.

They also did a good job at making the Aurora feel like a piece of garbage to make people want to buy something better. The guns are stationary, there are only 2, they do poo poo for damage, and they overheat like crazy. The reason why I know this because all I have is an Aurora it is so bad it almost makes me want to get a Hornet, but I really don't want to shell out $85 for the cross-chassis upgrade.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

rage-saq posted:

I saw this too. The extreme corners of the pitch/yaw stick have dead zones, its kind of weird. Once I compensated for that I started doing pretty good.
Also, their whole FCS thing needs a big revamp. You should be able to fire strafing thrusters at any time, not by toggling the entire flight mode that seems to kill the primary engines.
I don't have a problem with a toggle to kill the main engines so you can do super fast turning changes without altering your primary velocity, but Allegiance (an awesome space pvp game from 2000 had up/down/left/right/backwards strafing on like day 1 of the beta. Your strafing just altered your trajectory to also include a slight pitch left/up/etc and it worked out pretty well.
Also, that UI, oh god.

I think it's a symptom of the thruster system rather than a deadzone thing, because it's really inconsistent about it and completely absent in decoupled. The thrusters also piss me off when I wheel the ship around hard, because theres usually second where the nose of the ship kicks around as the thrusters fight to re-orient the ship with it's facing. That might be right according to whatever version of "realistic" they are going for here, but it feels terrible to actually fly.

If it was predictable it would be fun to fight against it, but fighting against it just causes the thrusters to fart about more. It is butt.

I know I'm in the aurora, and it's the worst handling ship, but I expected sluggish, not a loving chore.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

So, how DO you use the holotable to switch weapons or ships?

And if I just have the Aurora, where can I go to spend spacebux and buy better weapons? Is it worth it, buying better weapons?

Kronok
Sep 19, 2002

Exnihilation posted:

They also did a good job at making the Aurora feel like a piece of garbage to make people want to buy something better. The guns are stationary, there are only 2, they do poo poo for damage, and they overheat like crazy. The reason why I know this because all I have is an Aurora it is so bad it almost makes me want to get a Hornet, but I really don't want to shell out $85 for the cross-chassis upgrade.

(the hornet feels worse)

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Nalin posted:

Cutlass gets you a 300i.

Also, EVA mode is fun:

Holy poo poo I haven't done EVA mode yet, I need to do this. FYI The 300i is pretty terrible after flying the Hornet. Last swarm I did, the jerkass Vaandul smashed into me so many times that I lost most of my thrusters and all my weapons so I had to suicide into the planet. GOTY.
Arena Commander is the best poo poo, especially after I get to use my Avenger and Constellation!

Exnihilation
Mar 2, 2013

Kronok posted:

(the hornet feels worse)

Really? What about it is worse? This would make me feel better about being a cheap rear end.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

You can greatly help smooth your turning by just switching into decoupled for 1-2 seconds to do the turn, the switch it back on. Just be sure to not to a dull 180 degree turn with this method, your you'll make yourself stationary for a few seconds.

Kronok
Sep 19, 2002

Exnihilation posted:

Really? What about it is worse? This would make me feel better about being a cheap rear end.

The hornet feels like a drunk tub full of water compared to the 300i/aurora. I was able to get further in vanduul swarm mode in the aurora compared to the hornet. The hornet just feels like it's already severely damaged on a fresh spawn (it can barely roll properly). 300i all the way for me. (I'm using a joystick)

300i still feels bad, but it's just a lot less bad as of now.

Kronok fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 5, 2014

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Dreadwroth posted:

Arena Commander is the best poo poo, especially after I get to use my Avenger and Constellation!

I'm actually really, really curious how the Constellation is going to fight at this point.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

BitBasher posted:

I'm actually really, really curious how the Constellation is going to fight at this point.

Hasn't some autismal beardo crunched the numbers yet to compare ship stats with the arena commander ship stats vs the ones not yet implemented?

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

BitBasher posted:

I'm predicting seeing it is Christ Roberts chosen ship it will have a large I win button on the bridge. Pushing it will engage the death blossom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLNvUsTBGyE&t=120s

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

BitBasher posted:

Yeah me too, I have no idea how the Constellation is going to fare given it's really designed for multiple people to operate.

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

Exnihilation posted:

The Aurora isn't great, but the guns are gimballed. All guns on trainer ships are gimballed. You're still stuck with class 1's when the PU hits unless something changes between now and then, but right now it's better than it otherwise would be (without upgrades). They're still poo poo guns though.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

imperialparadox posted:

This is funny because both sides cry about the other. Star Citizen must have perfect balance because all control methods are crappy! :v:

After executing this:
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/138862/to-switch-roll-and-yaw
And then going through this:
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/139973/walkthrough-how-to-configure-joystick-throttle-pedals/p1

Both my mouse and my stick actually behave normally now. No more weird super exponential curve with a gigantic dead zone. Still not completely linear I think, but I got to wave 10 on my first try with both stick and mouse now. It appears that they're fairly well balanced, once you actually set poo poo up like it's supposed to be. :v:

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Dreadwroth posted:

Yeah me too, I have no idea how the Constellation is going to fare given it's really designed for multiple people to operate.

I'm more considering that it's the size of a barn and has a giant gently caress off ton of missiles with a huge reactor and shield generator.

Also, as a note, the Constellation in the hangar normally looks big. With an Oculus Rift walking around the hangar the thing looks absolutely massive. It's a a huge rear end ship that dwarfs you in every way. It's hard to describe just how big that ship is with proper perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

As I've said for over a year, the biggest risk to this project is listening to the entitled nerds on their forums too much. They are not the average user.

But I thought that was the point of star Citizen from the start, it isn't supposed to be for the average user, it is supposed to be for people who buy 1000 dollar spaceships.

• Locked thread