Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Burno posted:

But I thought that was the point of star Citizen from the start, it isn't supposed to be for the average user, it is supposed to be for people who buy 1000 dollar spaceships.

If they only cater to the hyper-sperglord crowd, their entire potential post-launch revenue stream will be exhausted before a single box (metaphorically) hits the shelves--which doesn't jive with their long term strategy for Star Citizen to be a long-supported and expanded game. They have to make decisions that expand the potential audience beyond those who back during development to maintain the game and actually make a profit following production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Lokee posted:

Remember to stay safe out there in the 'verse! We're always watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_NN8XWrHn8

This video is fantastic. I bet caterpillar owners will have a ball doing their 'rescue' ops. And by rescue I mean salvage.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Burno posted:

But I thought that was the point of star Citizen from the start, it isn't supposed to be for the average user, it is supposed to be for people who buy 1000 dollar spaceships.

Your vocal minority, even in spergy game like this, is almost never your average user. Of the many thousands of people who pledged some money, how many do you think are vocal forums posters who log onto the forums once a day? You also have to think about the large group of people that'll buy the game once it's on a store shelf- a group much larger than the current backers AND who need to be persuaded to feed money into the SC furnace.

Unless Christ Roberts hates money (he doesn’t), it behooves him to make the game accessible to those people.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
poo poo the game has what, 500k + users at this point? or is it 300k+? I don't remember what the Alpha cut off was. Either way, of all the polls they list on the site, the almost never break 40k votes. Out of that tiny percentage of that actually posts on the forums. An even smaller subset of that posts in the Den which is supposedly the place to get dev attention about various things. There is no real voice of the average user, and it could ruin this game like it has soo many others, if the devs start catering to the forum whiners.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
The only games that I can think of that have been ruined by "forum whiners" are all Blizzard games specifically catering to the lowest common denominator.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

drunkill posted:

They were upto 33k people in MP (well, not sure if unique players) at 1pm PST yesterday. I'm #70748 so hopefully I will get to try online in a day or two, no clue how quickly they have been ramping up player numbers but if they launched with ~150 and are at 33,000... hopefully not too long.
Do you have a source on that? I doubt anybody has played MP yet. My number is 12731 and I certainly can't play MP.

Reichsstand
Dec 14, 2013

Av027 posted:

The Aurora isn't great, but the guns are gimballed. All guns on trainer ships are gimballed. You're still stuck with class 1's when the PU hits unless something changes between now and then, but right now it's better than it otherwise would be (without upgrades). They're still poo poo guns though.

I'm extremely worried about this early dependency on gimbaled guns being rolled out to the community en masse. It's already teaching bad habits and a dependency on a targeting computer, things that will be very difficult to "unlearn" when PU drives home.

They were better off removing all gimbaled guns from the class 1 hardpoints to give us a better idea of how the "real" aurora would handle, not this handholding for the lowest common denominator.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Dunno if it's been mentioned here but a new project status page has been added to the RSI site which serves as a hub of what the status is on all the different modules, as well as collating patch notes and the monthly reports.

Certainly a lot easier to reference then scrolling through the main page.

Also it looks like from that that NOBODY can access the MP mode of the DFM yet. It's still listed as "testing"

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Reichsstand posted:

I'm extremely worried about this early dependency on gimbaled guns being rolled out to the community en masse. It's already teaching bad habits and a dependency on a targeting computer, things that will be very difficult to "unlearn" when PU drives home.

They were better off removing all gimbaled guns from the class 1 hardpoints to give us a better idea of how the "real" aurora would handle, not this handholding for the lowest common denominator.

Is PU not supposed to have gimbaled guns or something? Like, is that something that has been established?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Reichsstand posted:

It flies like it has parkinsons, I don't know how I would kill anything without the gimbals.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Reichsstand posted:

Sorry bro this game will be accessible to those without a full flight sim home setup and occulus rift. Going for the lcd is the best way to get piles of money for cocaine also.

Harabeck
Feb 9, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

Is PU not supposed to have gimbaled guns or something? Like, is that something that has been established?

No, it will have them too. Not sure what he's going on about.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
If something keeps you from enjoying gimbaled guns then I'm sure there will be some fixed cannons with higher damage to compensate. Variety is a good thing even if your way of playing is set in stone.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

neonbregna posted:

Sorry bro this game will be accessible to those without a full flight sim home setup and occulus rift. Going for the lcd is the best way to get piles of money for cocaine also.

drat space plebs ruin everything

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Harabeck posted:

No, it will have them too. Not sure what he's going on about.

Right now, it appears that class 1, fixed hardpoints are functioning as class 2, gimballed hardpoints (at least with my Aurora in Vanduul Swarm). That could really result in some backlash later on if they do revert class 1 hardpoints to being fixed.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Nalin posted:

Do you have a source on that? I doubt anybody has played MP yet. My number is 12731 and I certainly can't play MP.

Yeah, the 33k number is referring to the total number of unique accounts that have launched Arena Commander. Nothing to do with multiplayer.

C-Robz posted:

To share a little data about Arena Commander’s launch:. As of 1 PM PST (about twelve hours after launch), 33,813 people have successfully played an Arena Commander match!

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13925-Arena-Commander-V08-Thank-You

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

Marathanes posted:

Right now, it appears that class 1, fixed hardpoints are functioning as class 2, gimballed hardpoints (at least with my Aurora in Vanduul Swarm). That could really result in some backlash later on if they do revert class 1 hardpoints to being fixed.

They've been changing several ships hardpoints from fixed class 1 to gimbal class 2. Possibly after testing revealed fixed guns are poo poo in a dogfighting environment where you can turn on a dime? Either way it seems most guns will be gimbaled, unless they plan to go like E:D and let you choose between smaller gimbal guns or larger fixed ones for each hardpoint.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Courthouse posted:

They've been changing several ships hardpoints from fixed class 1 to gimbal class 2. Possibly after testing revealed fixed guns are poo poo in a dogfighting environment where you can turn on a dime? Either way it seems most guns will be gimbaled, unless they plan to go like E:D and let you choose between smaller gimbal guns or larger fixed ones for each hardpoint.

My hope is they go somewhere along these lines; I like gimballed weapons but I think more powerful fixed weapons have their place, trading expediency for stopping power.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Marathanes posted:

They reclassified most of the hardpoints to be gimbal after they started playing AC interally. Probably because fixed guns are a bitch to hit with in a dogfight.

Class 1s are suposedly sticking around as the "big gun" hardpoints. They are fixed forward but hit hardest.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
If you are whining about how the game should not be made for the lowest common denominator you should go post with your fellow spergs on the official forums. Also Brad McQuaid has a game in development just for you.

P.S. Diablo 3 is a million times better now that it doesn't cater for the pant shitter sperg crowd.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Non-gimballed guns should be fine for shooting bigger (tougher and slower) targets, gimbals are best for fighting smaller single-seat fighters.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Justin Tyme posted:

Non-gimballed guns should be fine for shooting bigger (tougher and slower) targets, gimbals are best for fighting smaller single-seat fighters.

I would very much love to have an option to de-activate the gimballed auto-aim stuff, don't like it very much.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

sorla78 posted:

I would very much love to have an option to de-activate the gimballed auto-aim stuff, don't like it very much.

CTRL+F locks the guns to your nose.

You can choose to let it auto-lead by shooting directly at the target when the diamond is up or you can lead your shots manually. I find both methods to be useful in different situations. I can land shots with manual leading which the auto-lead can't figure out all the time.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

sorla78 posted:

what are you some sort of masochist, with how poo poo the controls are at the moment it's kind of necessary

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Raged posted:

If you are whining about how the game should not be made for the lowest common denominator you should go post with your fellow spergs on the official forums. Also Brad McQuaid has a game in development just for you.

P.S. Diablo 3 is a million times better now that it doesn't cater for the pant shitter sperg crowd.

I have good news, there will be no end to the supply of babby games in your future. Hopefully with some luck Star Citizen won't be one of them because the world doesn't need another War Thunder.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

How are you idiot nerds even possibly arguing about anything related to how the game controls so far, when these dogfighting alpha controls are so bad I want to control myself off a goddamn cliff.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

loving mobile app, this isn't over

Jackie D fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 6, 2014

Bitter Beard
Sep 11, 2001

I don't even know what the fuck I'm doing!!

CLAM DOWN posted:

How are you idiot nerds even possibly arguing about anything related to how the game controls so far, when these dogfighting alpha controls are so bad I want to control myself off a goddamn cliff.

But my HOTAS that cost me 500 dollars doesn't work that good compared to a mouse / keyboard setup waahhhhhh!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I've seen plenty of mouse and keyboard users say it sucks and the joystick is OP, and I've seen plenty of joystick users say it sucks and the mouse and keyboard is OP.

I am forced to conclude that either both methods are poo poo, or they are both just fine and the pilots are poo poo. Either way there is poo poo on both sides of the aisle.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Equilibrium posted:

I have good news, there will be no end to the supply of babby games in your future. Hopefully with some luck Star Citizen won't be one of them because the world doesn't need another War Thunder.

The mouse controls for Warthunder are actually pretty good.

Also please post a picture of your setup/battlebox.

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

Reichsstand posted:

The trainer ships might stick around for the duration, but they may be more of a stopgap. Not all ships/ship variants are in yet, so they dumped something that does work in for everyone. So, perhaps our actual ships will be to normal specifications once they are able to be used.

However, it's also possible that gimballing all hardpoints is a way for them to "balance" AC a bit more evenly. I agree that it's handholding that's not good for anyone, but AC is just an in-fiction video game, so any balancing done within AC doesn't affect the PU.

I'd say that I don't envy the rude awakening Aurora pilots will be getting when they realize they don't have class 2's in the PU, but I think they're ultimately driving a piece of poo poo either way. Or the ultimate suicide ramming boat, whichever.

Along that line, I don't think anyone can really accuse the Aurora of being a dogfighter, so any expectations there are very misplaced. Even the LN may be woefully outclassed.

Mr Fantastisch
Jun 17, 2010
Just on the staggered release of multiplayer to the shuffling, spergy masses, isn't it likely that they're releasing it to backers based on the total amount of money spent during the initial kickstarter campaign? It would make sense to give it to those nerds who dropped thousands of dollars over those who went for the lowest alpha buy in price or got in earliest, otherwise the rage and tears would be cascading all over the forums.

Dart
Jan 11, 2012

The ultimate suicide ramming ship is a M50.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Mr Fantastisch posted:

Just on the staggered release of multiplayer to the shuffling, spergy masses, isn't it likely that they're releasing it to backers based on the total amount of money spent during the initial kickstarter campaign? It would make sense to give it to those nerds who dropped thousands of dollars over those who went for the lowest alpha buy in price or got in earliest, otherwise the rage and tears would be cascading all over the forums.

They've made it pretty clear that it's based on citizen # and nothing else (although I wouldn't be surprised if that changed).

Also, it hasn't been released at all; multiplayer won't be released until the next patch.

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

So what you're saying is that my walmart mouse and keyboard is going to beat the poo poo out of spergs who built literal cockpits around their computers?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Most likely yes. That's how it goes in any game/sim.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Leo Showers posted:

The mouse controls for Warthunder are actually pretty good.

Also please post a picture of your setup/battlebox.

I don't understand your type, how did you get so attached to this dumb game that billed itself as "you will need a $1200 PC from the future to play this" to the point that you spent $100 on pay2win virtual spaceships, but somehow also think "you should probably invest in a $40 peripheral to play this in a fun way" is an unreasonable demand. This is like nerds with too much money and no sense complaining about the mouse/keyboard controls in the PC port of Dark Souls, buy a gamepad already it's the year 2014 what the hell's wrong with you.

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

Dart posted:

The ultimate suicide ramming ship is a M50.

I might disagree just based on availability. M50 is probably harder to replace, which reduces overall effectiveness. The "verse" will never run out of battering rams Auroras.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Equilibrium posted:

I don't understand your type, how did you get so attached to this dumb game that billed itself as "you will need a $1200 PC from the future to play this" to the point that you spent $100 on pay2win virtual spaceships, but somehow also think "you should probably invest in a $40 peripheral to play this in a fun way" is an unreasonable demand. This is like nerds with too much money and no sense complaining about the mouse/keyboard controls in the PC port of Dark Souls, buy a gamepad already it's the year 2014 what the hell's wrong with you.

Gamepad yourself off a cliff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Tree
May 7, 2007

Sure there are goons in local government. But there are goons in national government too

Equilibrium posted:

Hell yeah man, either you go all in with gaming or you don't go at all. :rolleyes:

• Locked thread