Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

brakanjan posted:

you telling me blizzard don't cater to every little newbies whinge on how something is OP and needs to be nerfed because it is to hard and unfair at the moment. (Said in the tone of someone who hiked 10kms in the snow and fought off wild bears just to buy his game cartridge - back in the day).

Blizzard is also a company that spent almost 12 years working an isometric hack and slash adventure game. You know. 3 years less time than it took to 'finish' DNF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Quickpull posted:

That's because those games attract terrible people. Not because joysticks are overpriced.

I think you must have misread my posts. I didn't say that joysticks were overpriced. I said that there are reasonably priced options and overpriced bullshit options regardless of what control scheme you prefer. I was saying that your choice of controls has no relation to whether or not you are an idiot with money.

I think you actually agree with me but misread my posts as saying something else.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Played the dfm or ac or whatever the hell they want to call it now and Jesus is it loving awful. The ship handles like a van filled with water sloshing through space with terrible stuttering. Doesn't matter if I use mouse or joystick, both are poo poo. They should just strip out all of the dumb 'real thrusters' crap or whatever and use a simple physics model. I mean, seriously, I'm poo poo at programming and I think I could put together a better physics model than they did in an hour or two. It's literally just physics 101.

On top of that, the UI in the ships is absolute poo poo. It's filled with stupid useless information all over the place. It's the year whatever the hell and they still haven't figured out that you can use these things called cameras to give a non-obscured 360 degree field of view. You know, something even the F-35 can do today (well, maybe some day :v:). If they want to model stuff inside the cockpit, they need to take a good look at modern fighters and the instruments/layouts of them and their functions. Also lol at important warnings having the world warning in them and a slow talking dumb voice.

It's obvious from this that they consider form above all and function is an afterthought.

At least it has given me hours of entertainment mocking people super invested in this poo poo show of incompetence.

Dr.Tree
May 7, 2007

Sure there are goons in local government. But there are goons in national government too
I know it goes against the "design" philosophy of being every-game for everyone, but gently caress they should just put in big bold red letters somewhere that this game will either be Space DCS or not. That way people can stop fighting about which control method is the OP way to play this jerky single player space ship horde mode and start regretting their purchasing/life decisions again.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

Chomp8645 posted:

I think you must have misread my posts. I didn't say that joysticks were overpriced. I said that there are reasonably priced options and overpriced bullshit options regardless of what control scheme you prefer. I was saying that your choice of controls has no relation to whether or not you are an idiot with money.

I think you actually agree with me but misread my posts as saying something else.

I have a $50 HOTAS. It was ok as a starter joystick, essentially bare minimum to play a flight sim. But it's honestly not that great and I intend to upgrade soon to something better. You can't really get a decent HOTAS for less that $150. While I don't like sims enough to drop $500 on one, the Warthog is the gold standard and really is that much better than other setups. You get what you pay for with joysticks. High end joysticks are generally not, as you seemed to be saying, overpriced gimmicks.

Outside of that, yes, we are in total agreement :)

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Equilibrium posted:

Please do tell us how much money you've spent on vaporware so we can establish just who is the real nerdlord here.

Nothing actually, but please enlighten me on why you are so spergy about mouse and keyboard vs joystick.

I'm really dying to know :allears:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

mashed_penguin posted:

No joysticks here at all.

It's also a plane meant to glide in the atmosphere and land on a runway. Imagine trying to play KSP and dock using RCS with a joystick.

A 3D mouse is much more user-friendly for translation, like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIi1s1dNaCg If I were to have to fly some sort of dumbass nerd space fighter in real life, I'd want both a joystick and 3D mouse available since gently caress doing anything RCS related with a joystick meant for terrestrial flight.

Justin Tyme fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jun 6, 2014

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

Every non-lethal catapult launch is a triumph

:corrupt:

Quickpull posted:

Man, if they can get the ships to feel like the ones in X-Wing and Tie Fighter I would never play another game :allears:

Same here. I get that there will be people like us, more inclined to "jump in and shoot poo poo". There's also the subset of people that will want to Roleplay a suckadick space captain or whatever - and go through pre-flight checklists and must absolutely know what power generation that generator 1-B is putting out as they consult their navigation charts into their massive galactic shitholes.

The game should be able to cater to both by offering differing control schemes, one for each type of player. I could do without half the poo poo on my Hornet's cockpit. Arguably, I only need to know the remaining rounds in my guns and rate of overheat on the ball turret. The shield display is arguably useful, but even then, I just listen to the bitching betty to tell me if my shields are low, offline or recharging. I'm probably spending 10% of my time "looking" at the left side HUD, and 90% trying not to slam into a rock.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I think a lot of us are missing the point- no matter which controls you use, the space ships just don't feel very responsive. Same goes with the weapons. Not enough feedback to make them feel dangerous.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

BULBASAUR posted:

I think a lot of us are missing the point- no matter which controls you use, the space ships just don't feel very responsive. Same goes with the weapons. Not enough feedback to make them feel dangerous.

Yeah, this is the key point. The ships are basically flying tubs.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

Justin Tyme posted:

i have both a joystick and a mouse, they are both plugged in at the same time, and i played the game with both of them at the same time. they're both loving terrible. this is the problem, equilibrium

It's because of people like you x10,000 crying on the forums that this game is going to end up as an unfun brutally difficult HARDCORE SPACE SIM where you have to fight the controls more than the enemy for the sake of immersion/realism instead of an actual fun to play game. People want to play games that are easy to control and makes them feel like an expert easily but still with room for mastery. Even though War Thunder arcade mode is very, very intuitive and easy to control with a mouse, you still need to actually know about air-to-air combat and how to use potential energy to be good. Just because something is easy to control doesn't make you a good player.

Joysticks aren't even effective control schemes for things capable of translation type movements like SC ships. Were you one of those people that tried so desperately to use joysticks in MWO?

Of course War Thunder is easy to "control", in so far as literal point-and-click autopilot can be called control. I'm sorry to hear that you made the mistake of playing MWO at some point. Were you one of those people who spent $50 on an alpha of a game expressly marketed towards the 'brutally difficult HARDCORE SPACE SIM' crowd because that would be another to add to your list. You might as well have bought into Arma 3 early access and complained that the game didn't have gamepad support.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Jegan Ace posted:

Same here. I get that there will be people like us, more inclined to "jump in and shoot poo poo". There's also the subset of people that will want to Roleplay a suckadick space captain or whatever - and go through pre-flight checklists and must absolutely know what power generation that generator 1-B is putting out as they consult their navigation charts into their massive galactic shitholes.

The game should be able to cater to both by offering differing control schemes, one for each type of player. I could do without half the poo poo on my Hornet's cockpit. Arguably, I only need to know the remaining rounds in my guns and rate of overheat on the ball turret. The shield display is arguably useful, but even then, I just listen to the bitching betty to tell me if my shields are low, offline or recharging. I'm probably spending 10% of my time "looking" at the left side HUD, and 90% trying not to slam into a rock.

well therein lies the argument: if the controls weren't so lovely maybe you could spend more time rerouting power and whatnot and not having to constantly be fighting the controls.

I think the fundamental problem is their IFCS or whatever. If it REALLY does what they say it does and isn't just some sort of curtain to hide how the physics really work, then I really doubt they consulted any aerospace engineers regarding thruster placement and output vs center of gravity and whatnot. I'm sure that's not the case, but I feel like the more they try to simulate realistic thruster forces the deeper of a hole they dig themselves into with trying to make the controls not handle like rear end instead of just having a separate flight model and making the thrusters just fluff/for show.

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Leo Showers posted:

Nothing actually, but please enlighten me on why you are so spergy about mouse and keyboard vs joystick.

I'm really dying to know :allears:

Because he paid more than you both for the game and his spergpit, ergo he is more equal then you when making demands for his dream game?

You guys are making parts of the brown sea look rationalcontagious.

So, m+kb master race, aside from toggling the fixed center and killing acceleration, how else can I improve my ability to kill furry TIE fighters with an Aurora?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Equilibrium posted:

I'm sorry to hear that you made the mistake of playing MWO at some point.

I think we should come together on some common ground that we can all agree on. No matter what control schemes end up working best in Star Citizen, and no matter how the ships end up feeling when you fly them, the game cannot possibly be worse than that absolute piece of dog poo poo Mechwarrior Online.

Comedy Edit: Also even Chris Roberts would never have the balls or complete lack of shame to sell a gold plate skin for $500.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jun 6, 2014

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:

mashed_penguin posted:

No joysticks here at all.

drat, I know your setup cost AT LEAST 500 bux

edit: semi-related: I use a thrustmaster T.flight hotas x (yes, piece of crap but I love it) BUT it has no control panel to tell me the button designations so I can edit my .xml file for AC

anybody else cheap enough to be having this issue?

edit again: the stick has a chip in it and doesn't use software for previous sticks. Joy To Key (some sort of universal mapping poo poo) might be the ticket...stay tuned

Broccoli Cat fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 6, 2014

Execute
Apr 25, 2014

*Insert Electric Noise Here*
I think no matter what control scheme given time you get used to it. Ive gotten to wave 11 with just keyboard and mouse and that was my first try. Give it a decent about of time I dont see personally what all the sooking is about. Its the first release all up (hopefully) from here kids.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

I think we should come together on some common ground that we can all agree on. No matter what control schemes end up working best in Star Citizen, and no matter how the ships end up feeling when you fly them, the game cannot possibly be worse than that absolute piece of dog poo poo Mechwarrior Online.

I think people really dog on MWO unfairly. The game was actually really fun when it first came out, it just floundered because of the lack of mech selection, lack of maps, lack of gameplay variety, and lack of any sort of deep/important metagame (community warfare). I played and stopped playing before ghost heat was a thing, so maybe my memories are skewed.

It's kinda funny that the bar has come this low, but as far as being a functioning game it wasn't that bad ignoring how shallow and unbalanced it can be :pgi:

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.
Speaking of MWO, that game was also a lot of fun during the beta. But :pgi: managed to screw that up, despite already having some great gameplay and controls.

E:FB Kinda, as I don't agree the game just went stale. :pgi: made it worse with every patch

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Broccoli Cat posted:

drat, I know your setup cost AT LEAST 500 bux

edit: semi-related: I use a thrustmaster T.flight hotas x (yes, piece of crap but I love it) BUT it has no control panel to tell me the button designations so I can edit my .xml file for AC

anybody else cheap enough to be having this issue?

I too have a T-Flight X that I love. I've pretty much given up on trying to remap and am just waiting for the eventual patch that will allow us to set our own layout.

Captn Kurp
Oct 21, 2013

:bravo2:
I really enjoyed using a controller in the game, I tried mouse and keyboard but the sensitivity was way to high and adjustments never made it feel comfortable. Using a controller I got to Wave 9 pretty easily, and this is my first game outside of War Thunder that involves piloting something with more than lateral movement. I agree that the UI feels a bit much, the only things I really look at are my shields, throttle, and boost indicators. I believe CIG meant for a gamepad to be the ideal device to use and I can understand why that would upset a lot of people but its the best thing between a full HOTAS setup and what you're limited to with a mouse+keyboard.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Chomp8645 posted:

Comedy Edit: Also even Chris Roberts would never have the balls or complete lack of shame to sell a gold plate skin for $500.

The MWO beta was a lot more fun than AC (not really a fair comparison, but still). Also the robots and weapons felt awesome. Something AC clearly lacks.

MWO is still poo poo, but they did some things right.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

BULBASAUR posted:

The MWO beta was a lot more fun than AC (not really a fair comparison, but still). Also the robots and weapons felt awesome. Something AC clearly lacks.

MWO is still poo poo, but they did some things right.

nothing was cooler than hearing medium pulse lasers coming out of a meaty subwoofer, that game had some kickass sound design and it's a shame PGI is so awful

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

BULBASAUR posted:

Blizzard is also a company that spent almost 12 years working an isometric hack and slash adventure game. You know. 3 years less time than it took to 'finish' DNF.

Don't forget to add like two years to make the game actually worth playing!

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Wasn't this supposed to have multiplayer? One more thing in MWO's favor

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Justin Tyme posted:

It's also a plane meant to glide in the atmosphere and land on a runway. Imagine trying to play KSP and dock using RCS with a joystick.

A 3D mouse is much more user-friendly for translation, like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIi1s1dNaCg If I were to have to fly some sort of dumbass nerd space fighter in real life, I'd want both a joystick and 3D mouse available since gently caress doing anything RCS related with a joystick meant for terrestrial flight.

While some kind of 3D mouse would be ideal, I'd still much rather use a HOTAS setup that has multiple analogue axis available than a mouse and keyboard for 6DoF maneuvering in space.

Anyway, I don't particularly care which control method they primarily design SC for (despite having a personal preference for HOTAS) as long as it's enjoyable and actually feels good to fly.

NuclearWinterUK fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 6, 2014

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Jackie D posted:

Wasn't this supposed to have multiplayer? One more thing in MWO's favor

I thought so too. As in the whole point of the DFM was multiplayer, not some bot match.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I thought so too. As in the whole point of the DFM was multiplayer, not some bot match.

The multiplayer is going to be rolled out in the next patch update, so get ready to wait another 6 months.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

IIRC they're giving people access to the MP side of it in dribs and drabs based on your membership number, starting with 250 people.

EDIT: More likely Renaissance Spam is correct. Was trying to find something to back that up and came up dry, NFI where I heard it.

Rougey fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 6, 2014

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

It is now official

with all this K/M is OP talk. we are no better than the brown sea

Harabeck
Feb 9, 2012

I'm convinced the control problems come solely from IFCS. If they would let us have a decoupled mode that didn't try to keep you on the original vector, then my 300i at least would be a pretty sweet ride. With COMSTAB and G safety off, I managed to maneuver pretty effectively by decoupling for any major course change and then coupling to start moving in my new vector. The only problem is that the nose jumps a bit when you switch IFCS back on.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I'm an ex-flightsim sperg, but don't currently have a joystick.
I would prefer this to be catered towards joystick users and so far, they've done a remarkable job as mouse control is horrible and Xbox controller not much better. However, from what I've seen so far, I wont invest in a joystick just yet. It's still a bit too crappy, especially given that it's 6+months late and it looks like zero work has gone into making the controls work reasonably well.

Moof
May 19, 2003

the horror, the horror

Harabeck posted:

Make sure you are using right-alt and L. Left alt is the scoreboard. If that doesn't work, then I think it's probably that Auroras don't have ejection seats. They're gold plated, so spoors can't afford them.

this is the case - no ejector seat in the Aurora

Doink9731
May 11, 2011

I'm living in a nightmare.
If you guys would stop arguing with each other for a second and actually think about this problem you will realize it's the result inherent limitations with today's peripherals. Here's how it currently works.

When sending information to your computer: Brain > Fingers > Keyboard/Mouse/Joystick > Computer

When receiving a information from your computer: Computer > Screen > Eyes > Brain

The result is always computer to brain or the reverse. However, as you can see, we have always have two inefficient steps in between. We can do better. We must do better. Star Citizen is pushing the boundaries of today's technology. It's time to go... even further beyond. We need to interface our brains directly with the computer.

How? Grafting a USB port directly to our spine is a start. You can either tap in at the base of the skull or, for a less invasive procedure, go in through the rear. Here's a rough concept:

Imagine the possibilities! If we can plug our butts directly into the computer and thereby the internet itself there's no telling what we could do. The future of gaming is behind us.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Doink9731 posted:

Imagine the possibilities! If we can plug our butts directly into the computer and thereby the internet itself there's no telling what we could do. The future of gaming is behind us.

As long as it vibrates when we get hit.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Rougey posted:

IIRC they're giving people access to the MP side of it in dribs and drabs based on your membership number, starting with 250 people.

EDIT: More likely Renaissance Spam is correct. Was trying to find something to back that up and came up dry, NFI where I heard it.
You heard multi-player because they said it, but it didn't happen and they did not include it https://robertsspaceindustries.com/module/arena-commander

vs.

quote:

Arena Commander V0.8 also includes multiplayer functionality for the Battle Royale and Team modes. These modes will be available for a small number of players today. As we hunt down lag and synch issues and spin up servers, we will open these modes up to more and more players in the coming weeks.

quote:

we intend to launch Arena Commander in two weeks, on May 29th.The goal is that every backer will have access to the single player “Free Flight” and “Vanduul Swarm” games modes on this day, and the very first batch of multiplayer testers will get access to the game’s multiplayer game modes. We will scale up the multiplayer as quickly as possible starting on that date, increasing the number of players as it is stable and stopping to fix bugs where needed.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Probably are still working on desync issues. Maybe they'll work on controls before the next patch too, thanks to :thesperg:

Parias
Jul 17, 2000

My Generosity is again
LEGENDARY!

Moof posted:

this is the case - no ejector seat in the Aurora

Are you saying Goonrathi War isn't canon? I'll have to re-render the whole thing! :psyduck:

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

stuxracer posted:

You heard multi-player because they said it, but it didn't happen and they did not include it https://robertsspaceindustries.com/module/arena-commander

The functionality is present in the build, just not enabled yet. As shown during primetime tonight, they're having issues just with the load on their authentication/universe server (hence the connection issues on initial loading). I'm pretty sure they realized things aren't stable enough yet to throw the switch on multiplayer, since that would be putting more strain on a server already struggling (as the universe server is also the one that handles multiplayer matchmaking handoff and negotiation).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

So I tried this with my new $25 Logitech joystick and it's so much loving better than keyboard/mouse, jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN posted:

So I tried this with my new $25 Logitech joystick and it's so much loving better than keyboard/mouse, jesus.

:argh: God drat it, we just got them to stop shrieking and go to sleep. Now you're going to wake them up, and they'll be sperging all over the house until who knows when!

• Locked thread