Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

Are you not? You seem to be arguing that Rock's return should have been promoted ahead of time. I'm taking the opposite position.

It's the return of the guy who is the biggest mainstream star in the history of wrestling, of course you should promote it. Look how promoting Batista's return helped that insane first hour number and Batista isn't in the same realm of a star. It makes sure more people are watching your product and can get psyched to buy things later. There's plenty of surprises you can do. You don't announce a major heel turn like we saw on Raw, it is one of those things that organically happens on the show. You can bring guys in for a nice surprise if it isn't going to make a difference for your business. Bringing in the Rock unannounced for WM is a great example, it was a surprise and wouldn't have helped buys at all, but it sent the crowd into a frenzy since only a couple places reported he'd be on the show. John Cena's return is another great example, Rumble 08 was already a really strong show from the business side, his return wouldn't help much. By making it a surprise you created a huge moment on a show that was already poised for success.

You only get one chance to bring the Rock back into WWE after years and years away, you should milk it for all it is worth. Saying "Promote the return of THE ROCK" isn't saying "NEVER DO SURPRISES." Don't be dense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Fair enough. I'm not trying to create that false dichotomy. I still disagree, and think it was the right move.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I’m going to try to ask this question without coming off as sexist or misogynistic.

Has Stephanie McMahon had…um…”work” done?

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

CobiWann posted:

I’m going to try to ask this question without coming off as sexist or misogynistic.

Breast implants. Maybe a nose job.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
edit: nvm

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jun 6, 2014

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
In the 80's, the WWF gained a degree of notoriety for hiring wrestlers from other territories and promotions. But which promotion / territory produced the greatest number of stars for the WWF?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Ghostpilot posted:

In the 80's, the WWF gained a degree of notoriety for hiring wrestlers from other territories and promotions. But which promotion / territory produced the greatest number of stars for the WWF?
WCW :v:

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Ghostpilot posted:

AWA had Hogan, Sheik, Rockers, Slaughter, Scott Hall.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
edit: oops

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Don't forget Curt Hennig! Gene Okerlund Bobby Heenan, and Sherri Martel also jumped ship from AWA.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jun 6, 2014

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

Also Curt Hennig, who was one of their last world champs.

E:FB by a sec

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Yeah, I was going to say AWA. Watching a late-period AWA broadcast is the equivalent of "Who's going to be in WWF next year?"

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Yeah AWA seems to have gotten raided by Vince worse than anyone. Rick Martel's another AWA guy that hadn't been mentioned yet.

As far as other big WWF stars of the period and their last major territoral stops go:

Ted Dibiase - Georgia and UWF
Randy Savage - Memphis
Piper - JCP
Rick Rude - JCP
Warrior - World Class
Jake the Snake - Mid South, but seemed to travel through all the major southern territories rather regularly

Besides Andre, by the late '80s there really didn't seem to be a lot of people left from the old WWWF before Vince took over from his dad. Ken Patera's the main one that comes to mind.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jun 6, 2014

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
How were the ratings for Eric Bischof's debut on RAW? I thought it was neat how they had him appear backstage out of nowhere, and then left just enough time for people to hear about it and tune into the show, before unveiling him in the ring, and explaining what the hell was actually going on.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

CobiWann posted:

There was actually an in-ring segment with Stephanie and Jericho in which it was very specifically addressed, complete with before and after pics on the tron. It was like a more awkward version of a typical McMahon humiliation segment (and of course my mom was in the room when it originally aired).

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Minidust posted:

There was actually an in-ring segment with Stephanie and Jericho in which it was very specifically addressed, complete with before and after pics on the tron. It was like a more awkward version of a typical McMahon humiliation segment (and of course my mom was in the room when it originally aired).

Let the boobies hit the floor.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
Didn't Cena make reference to them this week on Raw? Someone did recently, anyway.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Frankenstein Dad posted:

Didn't Cena make reference to them this week on Raw? Someone did recently, anyway.

It was indeed Cena, during his overly long promo about how he should be champion or whatever.

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy
This may be either obvious or unanswerable, but:

What's the impetus for the whole "try and force X to get over" versus letting things happen organically? Is it really just Vince needing to be in control of everything?

It really stands out as odd when something occurs that happens to capture everyone's attention, and then they'll either veer in an opposite direction, or more recently, run it so hard into the ground that I can't help but believe they're doing it on purpose. Which loops back around to the "why", since it seems that those are the things you're trying to create and monetize.

I don't get it, but maybe there's nothing there to "get".

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Part of it is long term planning. Though you can't often tell, most programs, especially the main event/title programs, are booked long in advance. So it's easier to plan long term if you have an idea of who is going to be pushed and who isn't. If you just toss poo poo at the wall and wait for fans to latch on to something, you'll be changing your booking so fast that it will be hard for anything to make sense (this often happens anyway, but that's another story). Plus, they start advertising cards for house shows and such quite a while before the actual show. So they need to have some idea of what programs will be running, which they couldn't do if they made frequent changes on the fly.

That's part of it, anyway, The thing about Vince's control issues are a huge part of it too.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

FakePoet posted:

This may be either obvious or unanswerable, but:

What's the impetus for the whole "try and force X to get over" versus letting things happen organically? Is it really just Vince needing to be in control of everything?

It really stands out as odd when something occurs that happens to capture everyone's attention, and then they'll either veer in an opposite direction, or more recently, run it so hard into the ground that I can't help but believe they're doing it on purpose. Which loops back around to the "why", since it seems that those are the things you're trying to create and monetize.

I don't get it, but maybe there's nothing there to "get".

Vince thinks he understands what will draw the most money rather than grabbing the crowd's attention momentarily.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

FakePoet posted:

It really stands out as odd when something occurs that happens to capture everyone's attention, and then they'll either veer in an opposite direction, or more recently, run it so hard into the ground that I can't help but believe they're doing it on purpose. Which loops back around to the "why", since it seems that those are the things you're trying to create and monetize

I think they run certain things so hard into the ground because they assume wrestling fans are idiots and need to have everything spoonfed to them.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

triplexpac posted:

I think they run certain things so hard into the ground because they assume wrestling fans are idiots and need to have everything spoonfed to them.

That's why you get so many "She's so whacky!" "It's fun to dance!" "This is humorous and you should laugh" moments.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I remember during Summerslam 2012 they had some band play and all the divas came out and danced and Michael Cole was dancing and it was just horrible.

What I'm saying here is stop having musical performances during wrestling unless its a wrestler being played down.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Just don't have musical performances in general. I don't need to hear Lemmy slurring his words for twenty minutes because he forgot the lyrics while HHH is being slowly wheeled to the ring on a giant throne or something.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

MrBling posted:

Just don't have musical performances in general. I don't need to hear Lemmy slurring his words for twenty minutes because he forgot the lyrics while HHH is being slowly wheeled to the ring on a giant throne or something.

I do. I need this very much.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
My most hated booking trope is the "beat the champion to get a title shot" thing. Is there anyone in particular on the creative team who keeps pushing this? Like, I'm hoping it's not a big HHH thing, and we're bound to see more of it when he's in charge. Just wondering if there's anyone to blame or if it's just general laziness with the booking.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Minidust posted:

My most hated booking trope is the "beat the champion to get a title shot" thing. Is there anyone in particular on the creative team who keeps pushing this? Like, I'm hoping it's not a big HHH thing, and we're bound to see more of it when he's in charge. Just wondering if there's anyone to blame or if it's just general laziness with the booking.

In NXT, the champions (particularly the NXT Champion) frequently get long showcase matches ending with clean wins. I can't remember the last time any of the champions lost in non-title matches.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Minidust posted:

There's probably someone specific to blame, but I'm gonna blame Dunn since it seems like something he might want. "To make it seem more dramatic, the audience knows that Champ Grapplesman could lose against Challenger Jobsclean, so they'll want to tune in for their next performance!"

Basically it's just easier to assume all bad with WWE stems from Kevin Dunn in some way, as if he is the cancer infecting Vince's decisions.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

oldpainless posted:

I remember during Summerslam 2012 they had some band play and all the divas came out and danced and Michael Cole was dancing and it was just horrible.

What I'm saying here is stop having musical performances during wrestling unless its a wrestler being played down.

AMERICA! AMERICA! AMERICA! AMERICA! AMERICAAAAAAAAAAAAA~

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Minidust posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZU1r9xuppc
The whole segment involving Jericho, Rock, Steph, Booker and Rhyno.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I think Stephanie just really loves her huge fake tits and insists everyone she feuds with mentions them in their promos.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Let the boobies hit the floor.

It seems like our little Million Dollar Princess sure has groooown in the past year!

I don't really have anything to add, I just loved the Jericho-Stephanie feud. Misogynistic? Maybe, but it's Stephanie and she hammed it up real nice.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
So apparently Roddy Piper punched Vince Russo on television, in the middle of shooting about how he ruined wrestling and contributed to Owen Hart's death? I somehow have not heard about this before.

What was the internet reaction when this happened? Or the industry reaction for that matter? (I assume none to the latter since it was on TNA)

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy

MassRafTer posted:

Vince thinks he understands what will draw the most money rather than grabbing the crowd's attention momentarily.

So it's in large part a lack of understanding on my part (which I assumed was highly likely to begin with). To dovetail into another conversation that recently happened, due to my growing up watching in the 90's the lack of real "surprises" (or at least what I knew as such) is one thing I really miss, but I've always attributed that to the folding of WCW coinciding with the advent of the true "internet wrestling community", even if they did exist in some form earlier than that.

I think it's fairly obvious however that the environment has changed, seemingly permanently, as far as those things go.

In any case, I do find the inner workings of these things at least as interesting as the actual product.

That being said...do you think he does? I mean, he obviously has a track record, and seems remarkably adept at adapting to the times.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

oldpainless posted:

Summerslam 2012 was the first bit of WWE I had seen since 2001ish. It didn't help that the entire performance of that dogshit song was lip synced/mimed.

Blast Fantasto posted:

So apparently Roddy Piper punched Vince Russo on television, in the middle of shooting about how he ruined wrestling and contributed to Owen Hart's death? I somehow have not heard about this before.

What was the internet reaction when this happened? Or the industry reaction for that matter? (I assume none to the latter since it was on TNA)
I didn't see this until several years later, but it came off as a lame worked shoot, especially with Piper throwing in corny stock lines from 1985 like "Just when you've got the answers, I change the questions." Piper says it was real but Piper is always working.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jun 6, 2014

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I think Vince just really loves Stephanie's huge fake tits and insists everyone she feuds with mentions them in their promos.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Blast Fantasto posted:

Its a dogshit promo with seemingly no purpose like much of Piper's post-WWE career. A few weeks later he comes back and insists all wrestling promoters are evil because they don't provide health insurance and the "independent contractor" excuse is total bullshit. He's correct, of course, but since he probably didnt clear that promo with anybody the announce team has to paint him as a delusional old man because TNA isn't going to suddenly change the status quo over a Roddy Piper promo.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Bard Maddox posted:

In NXT, the champions (particularly the NXT Champion) frequently get long showcase matches ending with clean wins. I can't remember the last time any of the champions lost in non-title matches.

Paige lost to Charlotte in a tag match pretty much immediately after winning the Divas' belt. Though it was taped before she won the Diva belt, she was definitely the NXT Women's champ at the time.

EDIT - Just noticed "clean" in your post now, I have no idea if it was a clean win or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

oatgan posted:

Its a dogshit promo with seemingly no purpose like much of Piper's post-WWE career. A few weeks later he comes back and insists all wrestling promoters are evil because they don't provide health insurance and the "independent contractor" excuse is total bullshit. He's correct, of course, but since he probably didnt clear that promo with anybody the announce team has to paint him as a delusional old man because TNA isn't going to suddenly change the status quo over a Roddy Piper promo.

Haha, I had a sneaking feeling it was something like that. I was gleaming this whole thing from his Wikipedia page, which treats it as a legitimate, lurid shoot. With a ton of [citation needed]'s thrown all over it of course.