Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

DatonKallandor posted:

Having tried all 3 controls methods now, when it comes to actually flying the ship - they're not terrible at all (Mouse is worst). Especially the 360 Gamepad controls (which are clearly what they made the game for, since that's what they did their internal testing on - you can see that on all the videos and even at the PAX presentation) are incredibly good as far as default controls go. The amount of stuff they managed to pack into the Pad is fantastic, and it's still logcially grouped, which is no small feat. Now the UI controls are insanely bad but so's the rest of their UI.

What is absolutely terrible, and what makes the controls seem worse, is that their thruster behavior is plain hosed when not in decoupled mode. They fire unevenly trying to get the ships vector to align with your center of aim and the result is a wobbling bathtub feeling. If you decouple and rotate the center of the ship around there's no wobbling at all - which is how it should behave in all modes.

That right there shows where the problem lies (intentional or not) - thruster behavior when coupled is hosed. Question is are they going to fix it or claim it's intentional.

As an aside, I really disagree with the calls for strafing while coupled and vector change capability why uncoupled. Once they get rid of the coupled thruster issues and the model works as it should, the strafing limitations make a lot of sense and give it very unique Wing Commander 2.0 flight model style. It stops it from playing like newer space sims and keeps it very turn and boost based while still giving you some of the Freelancer/BSG newtonian gimmicks without become full blown generic semi-newtonian space sim.

Maybe that's what I am seeing then. The default controls, particularly with stabilization and the safety on, are clunky and unresponsive. If that's a function of the thrusters then that would make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Well according to pubbies, the reason the flight model is rear end is because it's too good. Yeah, that THAT, BITCHES.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/142233/flight-model-is-implemented-so-well-it-s-perceived-as-bad/p1

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

DatonKallandor posted:

You really don't and they're two different things. Decouple - Turn - Recouple doesn't get rid of the wobble - it just delays it during the turn and then it wobbles when you recouple. You still drop back into couple mode and the thrusters still try to align you new flight vector - and wobble is back. Admittedly it does make the turning part of the turn smooth though and after the turn you get hit with all your "stored" wobble.

Vector change while decoupled would help with the wobble but it'd be a bandaid that sacrifices a unique flight model to fix a buggy behavior. Fix the coupled wobble and you don't need vector change in decoupled.

I cannot recreate this wobble which seems to be your chief complaint, no matter what I try.

As someone pointed out earlier, the physics simulation is largely handled by your client--it is entirely possible the behavior you're complaining of is a result of a bug in the physics rendering on your client. If I recall correctly, they are relying on PhysX to handle the physics processing.

Out of curiosity, for those of you that ARE experiencing the wobble problems, what graphics card are you using for the game? It may be something as simple as difference between the hardware implementations of the PhysX engine computatons on nVidia cards vs how the AMD cards handle it.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
I'll just leave that here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA2tlT90VBo

His War Thunder videos are worth watching. Especially all with RB planes. He did note that he'll be a better shot once he can customize the controls. And yes he's using a stick. Even in War Thunder (RB).

Parias
Jul 17, 2000

My Generosity is again
LEGENDARY!

Octopode posted:

If I recall correctly, they are relying on PhysX to handle the physics processing.

Nope.

quote:

At the moment, all physics is provided directly by CryEngine's own system, which means no hardware support. There has been some talk about possibly integrating PhysX, which is a system I've worked with in the past. I helped integrate PhysX into the Torque game engine and we used it for Rocketbowl 360. But that's a big undertaking and I wouldn't bet on it happening.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Octopode posted:

It may be something as simple as difference between the hardware implementations of the PhysX engine computatons on nVidia cards vs how the AMD cards handle it.

Isn't PhysX Nvidia specific in hardware? I thought AMD cards had to use software based PhysX.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
PhysX is an nvidia only thing, to the point that anyone with an AMD card will have it running on their CPU instead. It is entirely possible/probably that depending on what CPU you have, some people see much better performance from the maneuvering thrusters, since the calculations are all done on the fly supposedly, to get your ship pointed where you want it. Someone with a laptop CPU constrained to a much lower clock speed vs a desktop quad core running at 4.5ghz might have a far different experience.

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:

CLAM DOWN posted:

Well according to pubbies, the reason the flight model is rear end is because it's too good. Yeah, that THAT, BITCHES.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/142233/flight-model-is-implemented-so-well-it-s-perceived-as-bad/p1

It's true, from Ghandi's perspective: the ship swinging wildly to and fro, shooting off into space, allows the enemy to waste time, energy, and ammunition, in hopes he will realize the futility of violence in the grand scheme of the universe.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Octopode posted:

I cannot recreate this wobble which seems to be your chief complaint, no matter what I try.

As someone pointed out earlier, the physics simulation is largely handled by your client--it is entirely possible the behavior you're complaining of is a result of a bug in the physics rendering on your client. If I recall correctly, they are relying on PhysX to handle the physics processing.

Out of curiosity, for those of you that ARE experiencing the wobble problems, what graphics card are you using for the game? It may be something as simple as difference between the hardware implementations of the PhysX engine computatons on nVidia cards vs how the AMD cards handle it.

What ship? Seriously, the Aurora cannot make a diagonal turn without a big old weird manouver..

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

ShineDog posted:

How do you get full thrust control in decoupled mode? Someone said hit Ctrl Tab but looking in the control maps thats something about head look?

Wee Tinkle Wand posted:

I also hope they allow us to adjust trajectory in decoupled mode by strafing or firing engines/afterburner. If they keep the cap on the max speed that's perfectly fine, the low max speeds are fundamental to the type of game they are trying to make and I appreciate that (plus no one wants spaceship jousting like in Evochron, you might think you do but you dooooooooooooon't). I just would like to be able to alter my direction without having to toggle coupled mode back on.

Turn on decoupled mode when you are stopped at 0 m/s. Now you can strafe with A/D/Q/E, and move forward/backward at 50% velocity with W/S. If you have a throttle, you could even bind forward/backward to a toggle switch. Just flip the toggle and fly around at 50% speed with strafe capability. It makes the whole game play differently.

MatchstickJim
Nov 10, 2013
I was also experiencing a wobble in my flight controls. Mainly when I was making a 180 degree verticle turn. It seems to go nutty when I leveled off and attempted to recenter my guns on my target, almost like an oversensitivity to aiming in the default control scheme that would tip my nose up/down/up/down. Best I can describe it for those not getting this wobbly ship experience is to imagine the hull half full of water sloshing back and forth with any wide turns or banks you might try.

That said the Ctrl-F semi-locked recticle flight mode has vastly improved my kill performance and smoothed out my flight overall. Almost feels like diet decoupled mode since I seem to be getting more drift in my turns than in the default control mode. Took some getting used to but its definitely the control style I'll be keeping until their devs fix or improve one that works better for me. May be worth a shot for anyone still fighting the default crud controls scheme.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Tank Boy Ken posted:

His War Thunder videos are worth watching. Especially all with RB planes. He did note that he'll be a better shot once he can customize the controls. And yes he's using a stick. Even in War Thunder (RB).

This video is pretty accurate to how I am finding AC. But my friend has the "turning wobble" and it's clearly a different experience.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I've just captured a video of the Auroras wobble. It's quite severe, but I'm not seeing it in other ship videos.

Basically, just yawing moderately to the right shows the ship bouncing between almost maxed turn and almost no turn with no pressure varience on the stick from me.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
That REALLY reminds me of the old Honda Civic I used to have. With the tires overinflated.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Wow, compared to the difficulty I've had getting the hornet to turn without wobbling all over the place that is night and day. I'll have to plug in my joystick and see if it works more like that.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

CLAM DOWN posted:

The pubbie mind is a fascinating thing. I wonder what the correlation is between that reasoning and how much money an individual has spent.

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.
Having played it for a bit, I think they need to bring in an actual engineer with a better understanding of control theory. The constant overshooting and poor settling of the flight control system is completely resolvable, the systems just need to be tuned properly. It might be necessary to pump up the thruster power to give the control system a bit more margin for smooth controllability--but this is basically a solved problem, they just need the expertise.

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

I thought the wobble was because I was getting shot or some system was hosed, though I really couldn't make heads or tails of what was going on most of the time.

can't wait to do this in a group!

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Here we go. WOBBLE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxfy7Lq7LDc

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

Yeah, same thing I've been seeing with the yaw controls. Seems to be most problematic on the Aurora.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
So if they iron out the flight model are they also going to make two seater variants of all the fighters so you can fit something like a Gunner/WSO in the back to actually take care of shooting at things while you fiddle with pitch/yaw/roll and fully articulated thrust vectoring while not having to worry about manually aiming at things with your gimbal mounted weapons? Although I guess if they could automate everything and give your weapons a bit of autoaim in some kind of "computer assisted flight mode" that would solve most of that.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
OK, stupid pubbie question. How the gently caress do I actually launch into space? I can get into my ship just fine, even sit at the controls, but then no part of rolling my face on the keyboard gets me into space.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Have you put on your special helmet?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

tarbrush posted:

OK, stupid pubbie question. How the gently caress do I actually launch into space? I can get into my ship just fine, even sit at the controls, but then no part of rolling my face on the keyboard gets me into space.

Pick up the helmet on the pedestal near where you spawn in the hangar first.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

macnbc posted:

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

macnbc posted:

Holy poo poo

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

macnbc posted:

It's for immersion!!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
New retaliator stats. It hauls significantly more Lesnik Units (LUs) than the constellation and only a little less than the starferry. It's turning into the new corvette, basically.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I sort of wondered what happened to the helmet being inside the cockpit with the flip and go animation.

But I am guessing they axed that due to a crash or something and the face they would have had to do that for each ship.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It's such a big, BIG sign that makes me worried about the game. They are more concerned about your verisimilitude than they are about letting you play the god drat game. Yeah, I am totally cool with spending a full minute watching myself climb into my starship, check my balls are properly seated in my pants before putting on my seatbelt, power up the ship, make a pot of coffee, then PICK MY loving GAMETYPE FROM A MENU.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

EdEddnEddy posted:

I sort of wondered what happened to the helmet being inside the cockpit with the flip and go animation.

But I am guessing they axed that due to a crash or something and the face they would have had to do that for each ship.

Helmet-flip emote, only $25 in the CIG store!

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

Not seeing this at all, although I only have 300i and Hornet. I also have a fancy overclocked rig. So either it's just the starter ship being poo poo, or something to do with your hardware not coping with the physics model.

So either way, croberts is telling the spoors to go gently caress themselves. :wotwot:

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Courthouse posted:

Not seeing this at all, although I only have 300i and Hornet. I also have a fancy overclocked rig. So either it's just the starter ship being poo poo, or something to do with your hardware not coping with the physics model.

So either way, croberts is telling the spoors to go gently caress themselves. :wotwot:

I'm sitting with an I7 with a GTX770. It's not that I can't cope.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Eej posted:

So if they iron out the flight model are they also going to make two seater variants of all the fighters so you can fit something like a Gunner/WSO in the back to actually take care of shooting at things while you fiddle with pitch/yaw/roll and fully articulated thrust vectoring while not having to worry about manually aiming at things with your gimbal mounted weapons? Although I guess if they could automate everything and give your weapons a bit of autoaim in some kind of "computer assisted flight mode" that would solve most of that.

That's a piece of the puzzle that isn't in yet, but the plumbing is there for it. Gimballed and turret mounted weapons can be put on automatic AI control, and use Avionics suite CPU power to do so. Your flight computer only has so much CPU so you can only put so many things on auto. Unless you get a better CPU. Or overclock it. Etc.

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

Courthouse posted:

I just did a little testing with the Aurora, and I only see the wobbling at around 80% throttle and up on a hard left or right yaw. The two things that catch my eye the most above 80% throttle are the main thruster pulsing on and off (actual speed starts to fluctuate wildly, stability controls make no impact on or off), and the weak side front maneuvering thruster articulating vertical, then against the turn and firing hard to cause each wobble pulse. By weak side I mean the one that really should not be firing - so in a left yaw, the right front should, the left front should not, but the left front is doing some wacky poo poo instead.

Strangely, at lower throttle settings the left front (in the above case) still fires weakly and articulates some, though not as wildly. Not sure why the hell it's firing at all, but it is. When stationary and yawing left, the left front thruster fires a tiny bit in steady pulses, but does not articulate at all. It's got something to do with the throttle position, though I couldn't say what.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I wasn't doing a hard turn in any of those. about 50% turn on the XB pad.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Av027 posted:

I just did a little testing with the Aurora, and I only see the wobbling at around 80% throttle and up on a hard left or right yaw. The two things that catch my eye the most above 80% throttle are the main thruster pulsing on and off (actual speed starts to fluctuate wildly, stability controls make no impact on or off), and the weak side front maneuvering thruster articulating vertical, then against the turn and firing hard to cause each wobble pulse. By weak side I mean the one that really should not be firing - so in a left yaw, the right front should, the left front should not, but the left front is doing some wacky poo poo instead.

Strangely, at lower throttle settings the left front (in the above case) still fires weakly and articulates some, though not as wildly. Not sure why the hell it's firing at all, but it is. When stationary and yawing left, the left front thruster fires a tiny bit in steady pulses, but does not articulate at all. It's got something to do with the throttle position, though I couldn't say what.

I've found this too; when I turn I almost always throttle down to ~50% to get a tighter turn with my crappy Space Ford and almost never get the judder, but when I do it's always on the yaw.

Av027
Aug 27, 2003
Qowned.

ShineDog posted:

I wasn't doing a hard turn in any of those. about 50% turn on the XB pad.

Putting it to about half stick left I still see the wobble, though not as severe, but the smoking gun is gone. The main thruster doesn't appear to pulse visually, and the left front maneuvering jet doesn't articulate nor does it appear to fire. Could just be less visual representation due to lower input. I still think it's caused by the system cutting main thrust and trying to right the ship (correcting yaw) before realizing it was the wrong thing to do and resuming normal operation.

Kind of feels like a comstab problem in part, but it does the same poo poo with comstab off.

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

tarbrush posted:

you've got to BELIEVE for it to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J4Gently
Jul 15, 2013

Parias posted:

Are you saying Goonrathi War isn't canon? I'll have to re-render the whole thing! :psyduck:

At this point Parias's movies are the most entertaining part of SC.

I wonder if you can replace a ship's joystick with a mouse/keyboard, or x360 controller

I'm thinking of some dog fighting movie, One ship smokes everyone and in the end the cockpit opens the ace hops out and you see there are no controls in there just a mouse/keyboard...

• Locked thread