Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

ImpAtom posted:

The art in this is never usually great but this page http://i.imgur.com/DD4k0oA.png (obvious spoilers for latest chapter) had me laughing for like five minutes.

Yeah that's the best page in the chapter :clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

The art in this is never usually great but this page http://i.imgur.com/DD4k0oA.png (obvious spoilers for latest chapter) had me laughing for like five minutes.

Yeah, but it's intentionally funny. So the art is actually perfectly fine.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ImpAtom posted:

I knew exactly what it was gonna be before I clicked it and I still laughed.

Kenny the Kid

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like I'm getting in on the ground floor to a 2ch meme.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

I feel like I'm getting in on the ground floor to a 2ch meme.

Man, you think it'll be bad now, wait until it's animated.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Terper posted:

Man, you think it'll be bad now, wait until it's animated.
That's exactly my point.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
The official translation is up but Crunchyroll screwed up the order of the pages. It barely makes sense at all.

I think Armin's not pulling a pistol - he's pulling his 3d gear handle out of it's shoulder holster. He's going to mimic Levi's grappling hook attack right into the mook's neck.

This chapter is going to be phenomenal when they animate it.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Squidster posted:

The official translation is up but Crunchyroll screwed up the order of the pages. It barely makes sense at all.

I can confirm this. I was able to get the gist of what was happening, but there are quite a few sections that are out of order and make some sense but not a lot.

:sigh: Guess I'll look what page is where in the fan translation, and wait from them to fix it on Crunchyroll before I read it again.

Personally, I'm in the "Jean is probably dead" camp. I hope you guys' speculation is right and he isn't, but that last panel where there's a ton of blood and his hat goes flying...

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Man, this series.

I don't think Jean's dead - Armin sporting the AoT universe equivalent of a Derringer would not surprise me. Also, Jean's story arc isn't done. His entire character is learning the necessity of heartlessness in warfare, and he hasn't really shown that yet. He'll do something heroic/inhumane in the endgame.

I read Levi/Kenny's relationship as brothers. Maybe/probably not biological, but definitely as peers. Are we to believe Kenny is really dead? Seems a waste to introduce him and take him out in such a short span. And for Levi to kill him in such an offhanded, indirect way.

Anybody know how many chapters has it been since we've seen a Titan?

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

JethroMcB posted:

Man, this series.

I don't think Jean's dead - Armin sporting the AoT universe equivalent of a Derringer would not surprise me. Also, Jean's story arc isn't done. His entire character is learning the necessity of heartlessness in warfare, and he hasn't really shown that yet. He'll do something heroic/inhumane in the endgame.

I read Levi/Kenny's relationship as brothers. Maybe/probably not biological, but definitely as peers. Are we to believe Kenny is really dead? Seems a waste to introduce him and take him out in such a short span. And for Levi to kill him in such an offhanded, indirect way.

Kenny's definitely not dead - he's upright and chatting with his blond second in command in the same chapter. I assume he's wearing a Kevlar-equivalent.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Squidster posted:

Kenny's definitely not dead - he's upright and chatting with his blond second in command in the same chapter. I assume he's wearing a Kevlar-equivalent.

Aww, hell, you're right. I'm a wicked bad manga reader a lot of the time.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

JethroMcB posted:

It's weird seeing them fight humans for a change. Such little targets, and a lot smarter too.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Squidster posted:

Isn't he the guy going 'Yo Eren' at the end when Reiss appears and isn't doing terrible things?

Catalina
May 20, 2008

JethroMcB posted:

http://www.mangasky.com/Attack_on_Titan/57/4/
I have no idea what you're talking about, there were tons of them in the chapter before this one! :v:

ETA: Oh Good, the Crunchyroll manga pages are fixed and in order now.

Catalina fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 9, 2014

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Gorelab posted:

Isn't he the guy going 'Yo Eren' at the end when Reiss appears and isn't doing terrible things?

That is what i thought. The person who levi cuts in half, who is he? He looks really familiar.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Mr. Military Police has arrived get rid of alllll the bad guys! :laffo:

I was actually pretty disappointed in this arc until this chapter, best one we've had in long time.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jun 9, 2014

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Neo_Crimson posted:

Mr. Military Police has arrived get rid of alllll the bad guys! :laffo:

I cannot WAIT until that part gets animated and voice acted, and I mean that 100% unironically. It's just so cheesy and wonderful, while at the same time giving some insight into Kenny's character. Plus, you know, Tetsurō Araki, and his flair for cheesy over the top-ness.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

This is the first chapter I've had to wait for since I discovered Attack On Titan. Levi shooting his 3DMG into people's chests, then pull them towards him as a human shield? Yes please. :dance: I look forward to the monthly agonizing speculation.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I am going to pour this glass of whiskey.

And drink it.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

well that wasn't bad was it?

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
so when will we find out why the 3 stone cold killers in this series share the same surname?

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Lamebot posted:

so when will we find out why the 3 stone cold killers in this series share the same surname?

Probably around the same time we find out what's in the basement. :negative:

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Lamebot posted:

It's doubtful Levi is related to Kenny- but Mikasa likely is. My guess is Kenny took Levi under his wing and raised him like a son, and gave him his surname. After their relationship broke down Levi just went by his first name, and hasn't been using his given surname. Of course this presents a major problem because by now Levi knows Mikasa's surname and in a series that has excellent foreshadowing and people not having to act like idiots or out of character to move the plot along it's extremely bad. But who knows Isayama seems to be a good enough writer to understand that and has something planned to make it believable.

Speculation time: What if the people hired to kidnap Mikasa and her mother were sent by Kenny?

quote:

Probably around the same time we find out what's in the basement.

Actually I bet Levi is going to give his backstory in the next few chapters. If not the next, the one after that.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jun 11, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Isn't Levi's backstory already being told in No Regrets?

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Beef Waifu posted:

I thought that was non-canon doujin trash. I could easily be thinking of other Levi fan comics, though. I'm sure they are legion

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Beef Waifu posted:

Haven't read but apparently that's how he met Erwin and joined the Scouts.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

visceril posted:

I thought that was non-canon doujin trash. I could easily be thinking of other Levi fan comics, though. I'm sure they are legion

It is non-canon doujin trash. It's "official" only in the sense that Isayama said he doesn't care if it gets made and published, but it was also made clear that nothing that happens in it is canon. And, in fact, very likely is the opposite of whatever really happened entirely to avoid any legal issues.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

In totally-canon news, there's new Spoof on Titan! I have confidence that this paperwork excursion will be essential to the manga's climax.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Of course this presents a major problem because by now Levi knows Mikasa's surname and in a series that has excellent foreshadowing and people not having to act like idiots or out of character to move the plot along it's extremely bad. But who knows Isayama seems to be a good enough writer to understand that and has something planned to make it believable.

This was also a problem around the time of the Ymir name reveal, which shocked Levi and Hange. Apparently they didn't take the time to look down the 21-name-long list of recruits they'd been hanging around the last couple months. In this case, though, I bet Levi was aware of it but did not find it worth bringing up.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Squidster posted:

In totally-canon news, there's new Spoof on Titan! I have confidence that this paperwork excursion will be essential to the manga's climax.

Maybe they were working on army personnel lists, and one of them got Ymir's name wrong. :v:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kusaru posted:

This was also a problem around the time of the Ymir name reveal, which shocked Levi and Hange. Apparently they didn't take the time to look down the 21-name-long list of recruits they'd been hanging around the last couple months. In this case, though, I bet Levi was aware of it but did not find it worth bringing up.

Hey, if a third of your recruits are gonna die when you go outside the wall not much point in learning their names.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Kusaru posted:

Having the same last name doesn't mean that people are related. He probably thought it was a coincidence, since Mikasa showed no sign of any connection to Kenny.

I'd like it if it turned out that Ackerman is just a common surname and Mikasa and Kenny are unrelated, simply because it would be nice change from the PLOT TWIST we all know is coming. But I highly doubt that will happen.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Kusaru posted:

Genocyber kinda makes a good point. That and nobody was really under suspicion until after Annie killed Sean and Bean. It's believable to me that Zoe and Levi didn't look up or get to know her name. She was in a different unit after all. It could be easily explained as an innocent oversight.

Mikasa's last name however has a very important history with Levi, and it's simply beyond my suspension of disbelief he doesn't know it yet when she's been so integral to the Scouts.

http://www.mangasky.com/Attack_on_Titan/30/13/ Is probably the closest he's come to having a revealing reaction.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 11, 2014

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Squidster posted:

You joke, but I don't think Marlo's righteous speech and later thoughts about changing the system were just for show. The military police is bigger than Kenny and his murdering squad.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
While looking for something else, I found this, so...enjoy(???)?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0CrwtOZlRc

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

While looking for something else, I found this, so...enjoy(???)?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0CrwtOZlRc

Enjoyed.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
What the hell... Rivaille is really Levi?

Goddamn it... drat you translators.

coathat
May 21, 2007

You should stop reading that garbage and pick up the official release. It's translated by someone who knows both English and Japanese.

ETURNA
Jul 3, 2006

Narayan
I find it remarkable that Isayama managed to make this chapter more intense than anything prior to it. I feel that way, at least. I'm sure this has everything to do with the fact that Levi is my favorite character.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Man, every time we think "everything is hosed, emphasis on everything" the crew manages to pull through by the skin of their teeth.
Indeed. It's one of my favorite things about this manga. When poo poo hits the fan, everything seems hopeless, and that just makes the Survey Corps' often bittersweet triumphs a little sweeter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MVP
Nov 1, 2012

by Lowtax
The quality of the art in the manga is noticeably mid-tier, but going through this thread I guess the author-artist has been improving since the start.

I wish this story would be over already so I can find out what happens, I have a feeling it won't end for another 5 years.