Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's definitely as playable as it has always been, with some interesting new stuff like serums and threshold mutations. The problem is that it's this tiny little insular self-contained community. Everything is balanced to what the basement grognards want out of the game. Real progress has basically stopped, because the playerbase prefers quick little content addons to actual new mechanics that they'd have to wait for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Really a shame to see the game go down this path, but this is what you get when a community gets this insular. It just sort of implodes. In a year it'll be even worse until it's a singularity of bad ideas. Which is a shame too, but oh well. I'm hopping someone with coding ability will play it and make a good solid base for sandbox rogue likes with vehicles. I still pine for cataclysm in space.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I don't understand. Other than some hardcoded mechanics, everything else is moddable. Why would you want some minor content updates?

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

amuayse posted:

I don't understand. Other than some hardcoded mechanics, everything else is moddable. Why would you want some minor content updates?

I don't know if the code base is still as much of a mess, but at one point "some hardcoded mechanics" was pretty much everything. They might have given modders the ability to add fursuits without recompiling, but I kinda doubt they've done stuff like making map modding not hardcoded and absolutely insane. (Or untangling all the spaghetti code of hard coded stuff.)

People were trying, but cataclysm was never hacked together with dwarf fortress levels of moddibility through data files.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Felime posted:

I don't know if the code base is still as much of a mess, but at one point "some hardcoded mechanics" was pretty much everything. They might have given modders the ability to add fursuits without recompiling, but I kinda doubt they've done stuff like making map modding not hardcoded and absolutely insane. (Or untangling all the spaghetti code of hard coded stuff.)

People were trying, but cataclysm was never hacked together with dwarf fortress levels of moddibility through data files.

I tried to make a simple mod that added some martial arts and items. Every thing is hard coded in and if you what to change or add anything outside of the most basic items you have to recompile everything. It's impossible to distribute a mod in a way that's simpler than uploading the whole game again. Their "mod support" is a total joke in that you can add clothes to a folder and that's it. Anything more complicated and nope gotta recompile the whole package.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Anyone played much on the experimental desert map? I tried it with max size cities and all my characters kept spawning in the same electric car since the game couldn't even generate a shelter. :psyduck:

Is the building placement just buggier in general on the map?
Do really like the idea of wandering an infinite Southwestern suburbian hell (as opposed to the default "New England", which seems more like Wisconsin with the whole missing ocean issue).

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

They should strongly consider refunding the Kickstarter backers since it's obvious at this point that poo poo isn't getting done.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.

TOOT BOOT posted:

They should strongly consider refunding the Kickstarter backers since it's obvious at this point that poo poo isn't getting done.

From the Kickstarter (newest update as of this post)
Update 23

Cataclysm DDA Kickstarter posted:

Believe or not, we are still working on things. I was away from the states for a while, but I'm back and trying to get things back on track.

We currently have $2,742.06 in funds, moving forward, and have created Bounties on BountySource. You can see the first Bounty we need done here:

https://www.bountysource.com/issues/1537787-3-dimensional-z-level-support-core-part-1

And the good news is, we've already gotten somebody working on it. (Thanks CIB, good luck!)

BountySource, unfortunately, will also be taking 10%, and the process of getting money from Amazon Payments (which is where the bulk of the money above is currently being stored) to BountySource without paying anything else on top is a bit less of a straightforward process than you would think, if I don't want to pay even more in transaction fees. BountySource doesn't natively support Amazon Payments yet. It could take a week or two before the others go up, for that reason

I also managed to botch the thank you letters I was writing, and am essentially starting over there. I'm incredibly sorry about how late these are.

Even though they say they're making headway on levels, as far as I can tell from looking at BountySource and browsing Github, I don't think they've actually completed anything beyond some initial outlining of what needs to be done to implement it. Of course, I don't follow the project like I used to, so I may have (and probably have) missed something. All that said, I'm really curious what hole the other $6749.94 went down; obviously ~15-20% just disappears into Kickstarter and Amazon, but that's still a lot of money unaccounted for, considering the project hasn't had a paid developer since the first week.

Full Post

Cataclysm DDA Kickstarter posted:

Sorry for the Radio Silence, here's where we are and what we're doing

Status update:

Things that have been completed so far:

• Worldbuilder
  • Mod Manager
  • Tile Support
  • Rewards: Video, Backer Name list, Art Rewards, Dev Journal Access (as badly as that went), some of the Journalist and Building Rewards

Things in progress/not done yet

• Z levels
  • NPC Rewrite (Not technically a Kickstarter requirement, but we want to finish this before the NPC rewards are handed out)
  • Scenario Support
  • Rewards: Handwritten Thank You Letters, NPC rewards, building rewards (primarily the 3-dimensional ones)

Believe or not, we are still working on things. I was away from the states for a while, but I'm back and trying to get things back on track.

We currently have $2,742.06 in funds, moving forward, and have created Bounties on BountySource. You can see the first Bounty we need done here:

https://www.bountysource.com/issues/1537787-3-dimensional-z-level-support-core-part-1

And the good news is, we've already gotten somebody working on it. (Thanks CIB, good luck!)

BountySource, unfortunately, will also be taking 10%, and the process of getting money from Amazon Payments (which is where the bulk of the money above is currently being stored) to BountySource without paying anything else on top is a bit less of a straightforward process than you would think, if I don't want to pay even more in transaction fees. BountySource doesn't natively support Amazon Payments yet. It could take a week or two before the others go up, for that reason

I also managed to botch the thank you letters I was writing, and am essentially starting over there. I'm incredibly sorry about how late these are.

For those rewards that still haven't been fulfilled:

• NPC rewards are still waiting on the NPC rewrite, which is moving along. I'll give you more news on this when I can.
  • 3d buildings are obviously waiting on the required z-level support, which finally seems to be in-progress.
  • Working on rewriting the thank-you letters now, will try to send them AS I write them this time.
  • I'll be going through and creating tickets and making assignments for any rewards that can be done now and don't fall into the above categories. I know we've fulfilled a decent chunk of those, but there are still more left, and I'd love to get them all done by the end of next month.

I want to thank you all for your patience, and for sticking by us. We haven't disappeared, development is still continuing, and we have every intent of fulfilling our obligations here. It's just going to take longer than I, and presumably everyone else, had hoped.

The King of Swag fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jun 1, 2014

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I sure am glad that they never implemented such shoddy temporary workarounds like Lazycat's Z-level support mod. Why implement a feature that already exists and requires almost zero effort if it's 'limited' when you can raise 7,000 USD to develop a more comprehensive alternative and have nothing to show for it a year later. Who needs towers if they're not fully destructible and have liquids flowing from high floors to lower ones anyway?

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
YASD: Forgot I had explosive rounds in my shotgun, used it at point-blank range. :downsgun:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'll do you one better: Decide to crack open a reinforced vending machine using dynamite, throw the wrong stick.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Recently accepted pull requests that seem rad

Portals (https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/6951)

Biomes, like "looted" or "Infested" cities (https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/7892)

Necromancy (https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/7676)

Necropolis (some end game thing?) https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/7806

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

A recent change that I really like is that all armor values were recently halved. Combined with the 'no Survivor equipment' core-mod it's actually possible to take damage now.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

A recent change that I really like is that all armor values were recently halved. Combined with the 'no Survivor equipment' core-mod it's actually possible to take damage now.
The combat animations (HP bars and such) are really neat too.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

AceRimmer posted:

The combat animations (HP bars and such) are really neat too.

Muh? Not sure what you mean here.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

Muh? Not sure what you mean here.
There's now a green HP bar for enemies and bits of it fly off as you hit them (in ASCII) and little combat messages ("x is ripped" "your torso is hit") display near your character in addition to the message log.
Maybe it's the latest dev build only? :shrug:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ah. I play with tiles, so I haven't seen it.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
I can't tell if I'm unlucky or if wandering hordes are still broken.
Every time I've tried there's just a giant horde that literally follow me a tile away around the map. Which is a shame because I really, really want hordes.

It's hilarious fun to wade into them loaded with guns and explosives shooting and exploding hundreds of on screen zombies, but you can't start a new character with them in their current state.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
I was just looking through the commits to see if anything interesting popped up, and I noticed that books have been completely worked over. I won't link to the commits because there's over a dozen of them all pertaining to various parts of the book reworking, but the long of it short is that you don't know anything about a book beyond its title and general difficulty level, without actually reading the book.

Key points about the new system:
  • Details of the book, such as level it can raise your skill to, the recipes it contains, etc., are now hidden by default. All you know when you find a book is its title and general difficulty level.
  • To learn the details of a book, you must read it first.
  • Books are no longer color-coded until you have read them. I didn't realize color-coding was a thing until I saw these commits, but apparently it tells you how useful a book is to you (can you gain skill by reading; is it above your skill level; are there unlearned recipes?)
  • You now have the option to 'skim' a book, which reads it 10 times faster (and learn its details), but you don't gain any skill or learn any recipes by skimming.
  • If you have read a book and know the available recipes (but haven't learned them yet) and the book is in your crafting radius, you can craft the recipes anyway. When you craft this way, you have a chance of learning (memorizing) that recipe, the chance of which is determined by the differential between your skill and the recipe difficulty, and crafting duration.
  • Your chance of actually learning a recipe while reading has been halved.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
That second to last one is pretty good, since there are some books that might have some recipe that you want but have 30 items in front of it that you have to learn first simply because they're listed earlier in the recipe list (yeah, you know who you are, Handloader's Helper) so you don't have to complete the entirety of the manual just so you can learn how to make gunpowder and primer.

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009

The King of Swag posted:

I was just looking through the commits to see if anything interesting popped up, and I noticed that books have been completely worked over. I won't link to the commits because there's over a dozen of them all pertaining to various parts of the book reworking, but the long of it short is that you don't know anything about a book beyond its title and general difficulty level, without actually reading the book.

• Details of the book, such as level it can raise your skill to, the recipes it contains, etc., are now hidden by default. All you know when you find a book is its title and general difficulty level.
  • Books are no longer color-coded until you have read them. I didn't realize color-coding was a thing until I saw these commits, but apparently it tells you how useful a book is to you (can you gain skill by reading; is it above your skill level; are there unlearned recipes?)
  • You now have the option to 'skim' a book, which reads it 10 times faster (and learn its details), but you don't gain any skill or learn any recipes by skimming.
  • If you have read a book and know the available recipes (but haven't learned them yet) and the book is in your crafting radius, you can craft the recipes anyway. When you craft this way, you have a chance of learning (memorizing) that recipe, the chance of which is determined by the differential between your skill and the recipe difficulty, and crafting duration.

Sounds like it further establishes DDA as a grade A hoarding simulator

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

TheKnife posted:

Sounds like it further establishes DDA as a grade A hoarding simulator
Yep it's basically it, Hoarding Simulator, Recreational Vehicule edition.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

The King of Swag posted:

What did any of these except for the second last one achieve other than making something take longer than before? What does requiring to skim a book to know what it's about need to be in the game, especially since the blurb on the back if a book would be good enough to know what a boom does. I really don't like the spergy direction this game is taking now.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

whiteshark12 posted:

What did any of these except for the second last one achieve other than making something take longer than before? What does requiring to skim a book to know what it's about need to be in the game, especially since the blurb on the back if a book would be good enough to know what a boom does. I really don't like the spergy direction this game is taking now.

Verisimilitude. :pseudo:

For things like 101 Home Repairs, I can see your point, but obscuring the details for things like the lab reports or AAA guides strikes me as actual useful difficulty.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Seems largely pointless and tedious. Which is par for course I guess. "Realism"!

Whatever happened to "keep it simple, stupid"?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
More pointless busywork so you can do the exact same thing you always did. Genius.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
I played this a lot last summer, but burned out around 0.8 (I think? I stopped with the last nightly build before zombie bears were introduced) and from reading the thread, it seems the opinions are mixed at best. Is it better or worse compared to where it was last year?

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Literally everything implemented since then has only served to make playing the game more tedious and annoying. Nothing of actual value has been implemented, and likely never will. Don't waste your time with the latest build, stick with whichever you were last playing.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Yeah. The hidden book thing makes even less sense once you consider that all the names remain the same. Its just pointless busywork.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
So cars are like basically useless now? Used to be you could find maybe 1 in 5 cars that was useable right off the bat if you just put gas in it (which is easy to do). Now I've played for hours and I can't find a single car that has all the necessary parts except for one time I found one, put gas in it, and the engine refused to start! What the gently caress? Why not just remove cars altogether? They weren't even that overpowered they attracted tons of attention.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Cosmik Debris posted:

So cars are like basically useless now? Used to be you could find maybe 1 in 5 cars that was useable right off the bat if you just put gas in it (which is easy to do). Now I've played for hours and I can't find a single car that has all the necessary parts except for one time I found one, put gas in it, and the engine refused to start! What the gently caress? Why not just remove cars altogether? They weren't even that overpowered they attracted tons of attention.

Cataclysm: Dull Days Ahead

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Cosmik Debris posted:

Cars now sometimes are running when you're in their time-bubble, this runs down the battery and eventually will kill it if the vehicle doesn't run out of gas first. Why yes this IS a classic example of throwing away fun in exchange for realism, doesn't everyone get boners being forced to make cars completely from scratch if they get too preoccupied with the walking dead to go turn off any cars they want?

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
I find practically usable vehicles (usually only missing fuel) on roads between settlements/parking lots/mines etc. all the time.
And replacing the battery is trivial, isn't it?

Most of the book changes are tedium and serve no useful purpose. On the plus side, the using the no survivor equipment/rivtech mods and other bloat content removers the game is far more enjoyable and challenging.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,

Strumpie posted:

I find practically usable vehicles (usually only missing fuel) on roads between settlements/parking lots/mines etc. all the time.
And replacing the battery is trivial, isn't it?

Most of the book changes are tedium and serve no useful purpose. On the plus side, the using the no survivor equipment/rivtech mods and other bloat content removers the game is far more enjoyable and challenging.

I know there was talk in the Github issues section regarding making batteries changeable with only hand-tools, but as far as I know, you can still only replace batteries by hacksawing out the old battery and welding in the new one. About the battery going dead; I thought vehicles had alternators now, so as long as the alternator isn't busted, shouldn't the battery actually be charged as the vehicle runs?

While we're on cars, I saw this awhile back and it strikes me as something most people probably haven't caught, but if a gas or water tank is damaged, it'll leak its contents onto the ground, the rate of which is defined by the level of damage. So if you do find a working car, don't fill it up until you've repaired or replaced all the gasoline tanks.

Another commit I saw awhile back that people probably do already know about, but I feel should be mentioned since it's relevant, is that gasoline pumps are no longer technically infinite (just having a chance to break every time they are used). Now each pump has a very limited amount of fuel, 1-10k units of gasoline according to this commit: Limited fuel in gas pumps #1845.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
Man. I'm starting to see what yall mean about throwing away fun for the sake of realism.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

So with gasoline now limited, where's our triffid biodiesel, or bizarre mutant plants that leech hydrocarbons from the road, trash, and general environment into thick tar-black berries strewn across the roadside that can be refined into fuel?

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

The King of Swag posted:

I know there was talk in the Github issues section regarding making batteries changeable with only hand-tools, but as far as I know, you can still only replace batteries by hacksawing out the old battery and welding in the new one. About the battery going dead; I thought vehicles had alternators now, so as long as the alternator isn't busted, shouldn't the battery actually be charged as the vehicle runs?

While we're on cars, I saw this awhile back and it strikes me as something most people probably haven't caught, but if a gas or water tank is damaged, it'll leak its contents onto the ground, the rate of which is defined by the level of damage. So if you do find a working car, don't fill it up until you've repaired or replaced all the gasoline tanks.

Another commit I saw awhile back that people probably do already know about, but I feel should be mentioned since it's relevant, is that gasoline pumps are no longer technically infinite (just having a chance to break every time they are used). Now each pump has a very limited amount of fuel, 1-10k units of gasoline according to this commit: Limited fuel in gas pumps #1845.

That's ridiculous. 10k gasoline is about enough to fill a jug.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
Wow.

I've been away from this for a while and it's pretty amazing that 9/10ths of the things that are new to me just make the game less fun. Guess I'll just forget about it for another 6-12 months and see if things have improved.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Anticheese posted:

So with gasoline now limited, where's our triffid biodiesel, or bizarre mutant plants that leech hydrocarbons from the road, trash, and general environment into thick tar-black berries strewn across the roadside that can be refined into fuel?

I'd love to see Triffid biodesiel, but apparently the triffids aren't those kind of triffids. It'd make a cool mod, though. Really this game needs a fork so bad it hurts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

I'd love to see Triffid biodesiel, but apparently the triffids aren't those kind of triffids. It'd make a cool mod, though. Really this game needs a fork so bad it hurts.

I made a fork, but no goons wanted to contribute.